• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

| Queensland Smash Meets | Meet @ Bob's house this weekend |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The Queensland Smash Thread

The aim of this thread is to provide a central source of information regarding smash meetups in Queensland (Though Northern Queensland does have a thread of its own). I highly advise checking in on this thread every other day (I check it every day, several times a day) so you can keep up to date with the latest happenings locally.

---

Tournament Information

Tournament organising is a responsibility split between several people in the QLD smash community and spread over several threads:

For tournaments to look forward to in the near future I suggest checking the following threads:

>>> Queensland Bi-Monthlies <<<
These tournaments are being hosted currently by 'Hotdog' at the Fortitude Valley PCYC. This up to date thread contains information on dates, times and other essential info on Melee and Brawl tournaments which happen every month.

>>> LanSmash Tournaments <<<

LanSmash is an important backer of competitive smash, allowing us room to run tournaments at their LAN gaming events which happen throughout the year.

National Tournament Coming up!
>>> SQUAT V <<<
This is the main discussion thread for a National level tournament being held on the Gold Coast. It is imperative that you sign up for it now to indicate attendance!

---

Update:

This year we're going to do Player Rankings.

Basically, people will be assigned points in tournaments based on their performance, the amount of people who entered and the entry fee involved.

Ranks for Melee and Brawl will exist, as well as a combined rank.

This system is in place to encourage player involvement and competitiveness, in lieu of rediculous entry fees to justify a pot.

---

Proposed 2009 Calendar

2009 Brawl Calendar:

SummerLAN 2009
07/02/2009 (February)

AutumnLAN 2009
23/05/2009 (May)

WinterLAN 2009
12/07/2009 (July)

SantaSmash 2009
12/12/2009 (December)

GenCon OZ
TBA (?)

2009 Melee Calendar:

The second day of each LanSmash Event will be a Melee Tournament day. Those being SummerSmash, AutumnLAN, WinterLAN and SantaSmash.

---

Okay, Sloth's thread has been a great way to keep people in the loop about meets and such, but now after QBB, we need to discuss the new direction of the Queensland smash community. I intend to keep this thread very much updated with information pertaining to everything in regards to QLD smash.

As I understand it, there are a number of players dotted everywhere, and if we don't scoop them up, and really keep on with the competitive scene, things will start to become lack lustre and people will quickly forget that there's a competitive scene at all.

Thus, I have begun this thread as a mega resource and center of discussion for QLD smash.

In the OP, will be including info regarding:
  • Upcoming Meets/Smashfests
  • Upcoming Major Tournaments
  • Crew Information

Plus other important information.

For now, it's important to let everybody know that you want to play smash, tell us how many players you can host, and when/where.

Past Tournament Results

Queensland Brawl Buddies
(27/09/08)

Tournament Discussion Thread

Tournament Results Thread

---

Redcliffe II
(15/11/08)
Results

(There's quite a number of tournament that I haven't posted up/been too lazy to post the threads/results for rofl.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
What I want to say for now is that I am toying with the idea of beginning monthly tournaments at the same venue as Queensland Brawl Buddies. It's reasonably accessible by public transport, plenty of (free) parking to be had, and easy to access.

These monthlies wouldn't be played for money, they would be played merely to promote competitive smash in QLD. This way, you're not paying $30 a month to come down and play. It would be more like $10 entry (Less if more people show up) to cover the hire fee, and that would be that.

I think holding monthly meets is the next step towards growing and further establishing the QLD smash scene.
Input/suggestions/opinions?

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
I'll start a qld crew for ppl around my area anthony
And yes you already know my opinion, which is I'm fine with the $10 entry fee so far, however it might be a bit much for some

Yokai

Smash Ace
I dunno, id try. But the train ect, travel time all adds up.

Id like to get some more things local to me, ill see how I go though.

Also, stealing my crew thread LOL. well in any case, we need to more crews up, so I throw my full support behind a Robina crew. type thing lol.

Also, DJcat is a smash legend, the guy has to be the nicest man in QLD, had to be said.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
DJcat needs to start a crew called 'Benny Hill on ice'

And the point of monthlies is that you won't be going EVERY month. But it's regular so you don't have to worry too much.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Mate. Monthly QBB would be an awesome way for Australia to improve at smash. I mightnt make it to all of 'em but i sure will try.
It might be wise to ask in advance hu will becoming each month, so that at least the entry fee will be covered by who is coming. If not, hold it off for a month. And maybe each month have a diff. emphasis, like one day for teams or crews etc... i dunno . i am goin to the gc today yay gotta run!!!!!!!!!!

And 1 more thing:

:036:

Paff

Smash Journeyman
Monthly tournaments is a smashing idea. Pun not so much intended.

It would be ideal in terms of travel time to have some of them in Brisbane rather than Gold Coast, but having them all in Gold Coast would be good as well.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Well we could alternate between the two locations every month. That would definitely make it a lot easier on me if somebody wanted to organise a monthly in Brisbane every 2nd month.

_X_

Smash Lord
Good work Vyse.

But you must admit, the Melbourne thread looks a whole lot prettier than all of the others. KO has h4x.

I'll start a qld crew for ppl around my area anthony
And yes you already know my opinion, which is I'm fine with the $10 entry fee so far, however it might be a bit much for some
You have got to take the younger kids, with obviously less money, into consideration with entry fees. If it's too steep, they just wont come.

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Hey vyse, I'm in Northern NSW not QLD but the drive-time isn't too bad. I would definately come to monthly meets etc. Hope it goes ahead cuz it sounds really good :)

Sirias

Smash Champion
If none of you have realised, Scrubs (Ben) does not live in the Gold Coast.
Just pointing it out there so you all look really smart. :D

Anthony, stop using the word 'pertaining'. It's a good word, but with every word that's overused, it loses its sex appeal. c:

Good day, Jesmo! :D If you really feel up to driving up to meets I guess that's fine, is it easier to get here than it is to get down to the meets down in NSW? Or is there not much activity down there. :C
I'd imagine that the Gold Coast will be more booming when it comes to playing Smash. o:

Do we honestly need so many threads for Queensland?
Couldn't you just have asked Bryce for his log-in details and just edited things from there as opposed to making a whole new thread?
Good advertisement, though. d:

I think, for the time being, we shouldn't have money taken into account.
"Omfg Kas just 'cause you have no money!"
Well, I could 'get' money if I really wanted to, but just so I could play Smash? Get real.
As I said, in the beginning no money, if there are a LOT of people then we 'could' hire out a place to have monthly meets at whatever designated time... but for now can't we just have meets at random at whoever wants to host?
Would be easier for those that live in Brisbane/Gold Coast accordingly, seeing as one could host in the Gold Coast, one could host in Brisbane, everyone meets up at respective houses, lorl.

Sigh, new thread.
Is it just me or does QLD fail at keeping to a discussion and not digressing so horrendously that we need to make a new thread every few months. XD

Is it really so necessary to have monthly tournaments, lol. I'm not saying it will fail or anything, and I suppose the idea of money makes it more 'competitive' and 'raises the stakes' ETC BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Sigh, I'm just talking about myself, but I only like this game when it's only 'friendlies'. =/
Competitive edges towards anything makes things so much more frustrating and makes people/the game a little less... uh... 'fun', I suppose.

But hey of course it's not like my opinion on this will change anything, only a collective one, and I would imagine Nick's with me when it's to do with money, lulululul, so he said anyway.

Where would they be held?
In either case it would be slightly annoying for one side, unless you manage to find a venue SMACK BANG in the middle of GC/Bris.

Wow, long post, can't remember the last time I ever bothered with typing up anything.
I think I don't bother anymore because NO ONE READS THEM ANYWAY. XD
YAY~~~

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
I think the monthlies idea would be awesome. But i do agree i wouldnt mind an Alternative venue maybe one at GC then one at Brisbane. Just to make it easier. Personally i dont mind the price because i throw money away like its toilet paper so it might as well go to something i love and am passionate about. Also Kas's idea of peoples houses is cool but then its only limited to a group of people apposed to making it a big event for everyone.

And umm Vyse... l3oOkeR<-- can you copy and past on the front page =D

Sieg

Smash Champion
Sigh, I'm just talking about myself, but I only like this game when it's only 'friendlies'. =/
Competitive edges towards anything makes things so much more frustrating and makes people/the game a little less... uh... 'fun', I suppose.
I dunno why you feel this way lol.

For me, the only real time I get back into Brawl is after a big tourney.

But that's just me.

*shrugs*

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Kas: I really feel I have to give you a response on almost all of the points you've made.
If only so you don't feel ignored :laugh:

If none of you have realised, Scrubs (Ben) does not live in the Gold Coast.
Just pointing it out there so you all look really smart. :D
Like I said, extenuating circumstances. James isn't GC either, but he's still Ward.

Anthony, stop using the word 'pertaining'. It's a good word, but with every word that's overused, it loses its sex appeal. c:
I'll uh, work on it.

Do we honestly need so many threads for Queensland?
Couldn't you just have asked Bryce for his log-in details and just edited things from there as opposed to making a whole new thread?
Good advertisement, though. d:
Well I dunno, I just think it'll be more convenient in the long run if it's a thread I can edit on the fly, rather than log off and back in all the time.

I think, for the time being, we shouldn't have money taken into account.
"Omfg Kas just 'cause you have no money!"
Well, I could 'get' money if I really wanted to, but just so I could play Smash? Get real.
I didn't specifically say it was an issue for you. But it can be for others. Not everybody is interested in playing for money, as much as they are merely for the sake of competition. We have to take into account younger smashers who don't have a spare $10 a month to throw at playing a vidja game, plus the expense of travel, food, etc.

As I said, in the beginning no money, if there are a LOT of people then we 'could' hire out a place to have monthly meets at whatever designated time... but for now can't we just have meets at random at whoever wants to host?
Would be easier for those that live in Brisbane/Gold Coast accordingly, seeing as one could host in the Gold Coast, one could host in Brisbane, everyone meets up at respective houses, lorl.
Easier, yes, but then it would be easier for Melbourne in that regard too, and for any other place in the world. But they hold monthly tournies anyway.

Is it really so necessary to have monthly tournaments, lol. I'm not saying it will fail or anything, and I suppose the idea of money makes it more 'competitive' and 'raises the stakes' ETC BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Precisely why I said we won't be competing for money. We'll be competing for competition's sake.

And yet, other people enjoy it.
Other people will hop onto planes and travel for it.

But hey of course it's not like my opinion on this will change anything, only a collective one, and I would imagine Nick's with me when it's to do with money, lulululul, so he said anyway.
Still, I always welcome objective/differing opinions.
Your point of view is just as valid as everyone else's.

Where would they be held?
In either case it would be slightly annoying for one side, unless you manage to find a venue SMACK BANG in the middle of GC/Bris.

To expand on this. My proposal is that we hold alternating monthlies between two venues. One on the Gold Coast, and one in Brisbane. So for example, in January, a tournament would be held on the Gold Coast, in February, one held in Brisbane, and then back in the Gold Coast in March etc.

Wow, long post, can't remember the last time I ever bothered with typing up anything.
I think I don't bother anymore because NO ONE READS THEM ANYWAY. XD
YAY~~~
I read them
<3

Triss

Smash Journeyman
wow kas your right about " I think I don't bother anymore because NO ONE READS THEM ANYWAY " lols

i only read that... part of the post:p

on another vote.... lets ban metaknight from tournies... hes soooo OP

Hayzeus

Smash Cadet
Well was gonna post in the other Qld thread that had moar posts but meh... Seems like no-one will pay attention to that anymore.

<< New player. Bought a Wii a couple of days ago. Got brawl. Finished subspace Very hard. ANYWAY...
Used to play melee got half decent then gave up when i couldnt buy a wii.

But here I am.

Sooooooooooo. HI :p

Sieg

Smash Champion
wow kas your right about " I think I don't bother anymore because NO ONE READS THEM ANYWAY " lols

i only read that... part of the post:p

on another vote.... lets ban metaknight from tournies... hes soooo OP
Let's ban Olimar.

**** you.

undead_moose

Smash Lord
METAKNIGHT?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Kas your post was long i honestly read half of it

Anthony DONT QUOTE IT
god longest post ever

I also opt that mk be banned

seriously

im super serious

****ing top two teams at tourny consisted of 3 mk

serious

you stopped reading didnt you

**** YOU TOO

please <3 me

EDIT:
Michael OLIMAR IS GAY but he has weaknessesesesssesssesssessss

MK doesnt

please <3 me

Sieg

Smash Champion
<3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333334.

Metaknight has his weaknesses too.

See, all you do.

Is before the match starts.

You smack Chris upside the head with a pole.

A very big pole.

Thats made of metal.

>.>

KNOCK HIM THE **** OUT.

<3

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Sirias: Yeah it's like a 4 hour drive to GC from here and nearly 7 hours to Sydney. There's absolutely nothing going on in my immediate area ie; Coffs Harbour/Port Macquarie/Grafton so I'll have to travel :)

Yokai

Smash Ace
I hate metaknight with the passion of a thousand burning suns, but I respect chris as a player so much that I wouldnt want him banned.

Tourny alternating is a great idea. The PCYC in the valley is as good as it always has been, or we could even try to find alternate venues in brisbane, as for GC that hall was simply brilliant.

Also, Marree said something (from memory) if we make this monthly type of thing, we will get a discount on the hall? Just asking to see if thats a big booster.

EDIT: A bris tourny director? Ugh, with uni n work....n.......stuf...... ahhhh **** it, ill do it if I can co host with someone else.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
So what we're looking for is something out in the sub-burbs.
A community center, a PCYC, a YMCA, we need something.

Anybody have suggestions?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Stop talking about banning Metaknight unless you want us to become the laughing stock of the world.
It's not so much the character that's winning than the player skill that's getting you.

Trends are beginning to change in America. Metaknight players are falling to characters like Kirby, Diddy Kong and Lucario.

And the above examples are characters who beat Mew2King at XIIESTICLE.
Plank got owned by a whole heap of non-metaknights too.

Until we see the day that America would see fit to ban him (Which they never will) Metaknight will never be banned. He is far from unbeatable, we're all suffering from the Sheik Phase of Melee with Metaknight.

And Sheik was never banned. In fact, despite being the best character in Melee, she is definitely beatable.

Good Day.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Stop talking about banning Metaknight unless you want us to become the laughing stock of the world.
It's not so much the character that's winning than the player skill that's getting you.

Trends are beginning to change in America. Metaknight players are falling to characters like Kirby, Diddy Kong and Lucario.

And the above examples are characters who beat Mew2King at XIIESTICLE.
Plank got owned by a whole heap of non-metaknights too.

Until we see the day that America would see fit to ban him (Which they never will) Metaknight will never be banned. He is far from unbeatable, we're all suffering from the Sheik Phase of Melee with Metaknight.

And Sheik was never banned. In fact, despite being the best character in Melee, she is definitely beatable.

Good Day.
Definitely right.

Going by what vyse said, the metagame is changing. So basically if Australia doesnt wanna get left behind in smash, we gotta stop sookin and start gettin betta at this game and beat MK's. Its pretty much skill level thats the determinant now. As much as tiers do exist non-MKs just need to learn. and fast...
I dont john around saying, 'ofcourse u won... i'm sonic, theres nothing i can do against u'. I'm just tryin to get better with every loss.

Its my birthday :036:

Sieg

Smash Champion
Less following America.

More banning Metaknight.

kgo.

Edit: We are the laughing stock of the world.

Yokai

Smash Ace
I loled at YMCA.

Metaknights weakest character is lucario/snake/metaknight.

If only my skill level was as rediculous as chris's.....

Sirias

Smash Champion
@ Anthony: Ahh sigh, to everything you wrote I had replies to them STRAIGHT away, but the thought of needing to remember them and type them out is so unappealing.
Forgive me. --
-- Basically, though, I just want to say that I was only talking about myself - I don't want to pay to play a game on a competitive level that I don't particularly enjoy. Others do, I know that, I'm just saying it about myself. --
-- Also to the venue thing, yes, yes yes I know that there's less room for others, I'm not an imbecile, I was trying to say that if we have meets it won't be limited to 'once a month'. And if it's once a week (although that seems a little crazy, maybe once every 2 weeks, of course at DIFFERENT places) then those that can/want to can go then. --
-- Although of course having this one month thing is good to plan for, so of course there are advantages and disadvantages for both. It would be so much easier if someone up here had a house like Tristan - able to house 300 people. B@stard.

@ Tristan: I do believe what you just said was an insane cry out for attention from me, so here it is. /end attention giving.

@ Metaknight: Everyone that wants to ban him or hates him should cry more. d: Nothing's gonna change, maybe you should learn a way to beat him (if there IS any way of doing that (jkjk)). I don't personally like Metaknight, though, for sure, he's got a lot of irritating moves... but I think it's more the PERSON I don't like for exploiting it. The same as Doug with Wolf, only his Wolf is irritating, I still wub Wolfie. <3 And I think Metaknight is beatable if you put your mind to it, lol, mindgames anyone? I wanna see how well I go against Chris again.

@ Anthony: Your comment with Sheik is slightly true but this is Brawl, not Melee, and Sheik isn't quite as broken as Metaknight. Maybe when she was in NTSC, but not in PAL anyway. Metaknight is like a combination of Fox + Sheik, lol.

@ Jesmo: Lame. :C Well I guess it's good for us (to a degree) but bad for you because... you're so far away from both sides. =/ You'll enjoy it more here, anyway, so there's a bonus? c:

@ Michael: I wouldn't know why I don't like the serious edge towards things, I think it's because I've never liked being serious, especially in terms of money, lol. I prefer the 'laughing' side of things. =/ Which is funny, isn't it, Nick? Considering how I really am, lmao.

@ Greenstreet: Is it really your birthday? o: Happy b-day, then. c:

@ Cao + _X_: Wubwub. <3 Stay! >:C

Edit:

@ Nick: Are you serious you only found out now. Lol.

Edit 2:

@ Hayzeus: Omg forgive me for not saying this sooner but welcome and don't worry about most people here, we're all like CLOSE A$S FRIENDS so if we come off like total b!tches it's only because we love you very dearly and dream of you often, thx. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom