• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Medusa's Secret Hideout

Favourite commander of Medusa's army?

• Twinbellows

• Dark Lord Gaul

• Hewdraw

• Pandora

• Thanatos

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It seemed to be the one thing that Medusa is most remembered for, seeing its the only remotely interesting thing Medusa does outside being a boss, but it did little for me, perhaps because it got spoiled to me before I finished Uprising. And even then, Hades overpowers her in just a matter of seconds, and is immediately forgotten. It felt like it was just thrown in at the last second just as an excuse to give Hades a new head. If you keep killing and reviving characters, especially just to be a bit-part deus ex machina, then they lose credibility.
It's easier to list the characters that don't come back to life in Uprising. So I guess most of the cast has no credibility... almost as if the plot isn't meant to be taken too seriously.

I’m guessing a third-act “enemy civil war” would’ve been a more fulfilling ending, narratively speaking. ;)
You can do quite a bit with a power vacuum in the Underworld too, as part of a sequel.
In my opinion, the Medeusa ex machina only served two functions: someone was needed to destroy Hades's head to reveal his final form, but also to crowbar in a surprise Medusa cameo. I don't think it really added anything to her character, considering the fact that she died almost immediately and bringing her back again would just be bad writing. Also, the dialogue contradicts the Medusa vs. Hades idol: Medusa states that Hades 'keeps reviving me', the idol states that it's her surviving spirit that intervened.
Don't really see a contradiction there. Nothing says that her survival isn't due to Hades. Guy has full dominion over souls and doesn't need solid reasoning to do anything when his motive is to amuse himself.

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
How did you all feel about Medusa's eleventh hour deus ex machina during the final battle with Hades? It seemed to divide opinion, some people loved it, some people hated it. As for me, it really irked me, even more so than Medusa being just a pawn of Hades.
OH BOY OH BOY **rubs hands together** Where do I even BEGIN?
First of all: I loved it, I understand how it can feel "deus-ex machina-y", but it isn't as much, any other character could fill the role of buying time for Pit in a similar fashion (any god or Dark Pit, I mean, certainly Magnus or Gaol would be completely outmatched).
One thing we have to consider is the fact that for the first 9 chapters, the Medusa interacting with Pit and Palutena is a fake, a quick copy made by Hades using random souls and part of her memories in order to distract everyone while he advances his own plans. In a game which already underutilizes her, not having her actually showing up would only add insult to injury, that punch is the only time we see the real Medusa. The dialogue doesn't contradict the idol, those are 2 different things. The "keeps reviving me" part is a reference to the copy we fight at the beginning of the game, while the Medusa that punches Hades revived herself with Pit's help by Palutena's command after she felt an unknown presence (AKA, Medusa's surviving spirit) trying to emerge from Hades (remember, he consumed a bunch of souls to become the Hades we see in the end, it would make sense if he also consumed Medusa's soul).

Like meleebrawler meleebrawler said, that punch does open up interpretation for the character, even if you don't see it.
And this is my interpretation: That punch gave us a hint about 2 things that can add something to Medusa as a character, and also serves as a affirmation of something we already knew about her.
I'll start with what we already knew, which is simpler to explain. One of the defining words for Medusa in this series is revenge, you screw with her, she'll screw you right back, it doesn't matter who you are. Palutena turned her into a monster, she wants to kill her. Pit killed her, she wants to kill him. Hades used a copy of her as a puppet, she wants to kill him. You ate her chocolate, she wants to kill you. The lesson here is 'don't screw with Medusa' no matter how delicious that chocolate might be.
The 2 new things we can take from that punch are... well, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's kinda what interpretation is :p
1 - Her affiliaton, or better said, her independence. She's not with Skyworld anymore, she's isn't a part of the Underworld, either, she's her own faction. She wants to take control of all the worlds (this was either on an idol or the manga, I don't remeber which one) and she'll do it because she wants to, and she'll use whatever or whoever she wants. Hypothesis: Maybe Hades used her for his own plans (if Hades is retroactively added to the original Kid Icarus), but Medusa used him at the same time out of convenience, taking advantage of the Underworld army's power to overthrow Palutena, which would be just the beginning, she'd eventually overthrow Hades, too. She rebeled against Hades because she was always going to, and just how Medusa outlived her usefulness for Hades, so did he for her.
2 - Her strength, resolution, determination or conviction. The fact that she managed to get her soul out of Hades and revive herself (even with Pit's help) shows a tremendous ammount of determination, however misguided it is. She's tenacious, and she'll keep on fighting at all costs and against all odds.

These 2 things make her a strong character in my eyes (they also kinda fit her "rage and revenge" theme). She has her own plans, and she'll do whatever is needed to achieve them, doesn't matter who's blocking her path, she'll take them down. (There's also the whole symbol of feminism thing, which totally fits here, but I doubt Sakurai/whoever wrote the story had that in mind).

The fact that she died almost instantly is addressed in the idol, she was in a weakened state after reviving herself. I could write a wall of text talking about how Medusa's power level isn't shown at all in the game, with many variables and contradictions here and there, but that's a conversation for another day.

If there's gonna be a new Kid Icarus game, I doubt Sakurai will be doing it, he's not fond of sequels.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What makes me question all of Medusa's actions prior to Uprising is how long Pandora has been stated to be alive. Longer than any god can remember, including Hades, though she certainly remembers him so that's probably just him being a sociopath and not giving a damn for his soldier's lives. But if she and Hades were active in the distant past, how much influence did they have over everything that transpired in the conflicts leading up to Uprising? And whether or not the Underworld forces had a hand in Medusa's fall from grace or not, dying and being brought back to life the way Medusa has would give anyone an existential crisis. Would you not even consider the possibility everything you believed up until then could have been a lie perpetuated by someone more powerful than you for their own benefit?

Jovian the Conqueror

Smash Cadet
There is ambiguity about her motivation and how she came back from the dead, but the explanation we get in-game is so vague that one could infer a lot of things from it. It's quite strongly implied she has a quarrel with Hades for using her, but whether this Medusa that attacked Hades was the 'original' or a copy, or whether Hades revived her again or she came back by herself, or whether she just showed up the second she had an opportunity for revenge or whether she had a change of heart is never made clear. And she exited just as quickly as she entered the battle, with Hades making a fool out of her yet again, perhaps retiring her for good. (I know she is supposedly depowered, but it just seemed like a convenient excuse to get rid of her quickly once her job was done).

Last edited:

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
What makes me question all of Medusa's actions prior to Uprising is how long Pandora has been stated to be alive. Longer than any god can remember, including Hades, though she certainly remembers him so that's probably just him being a sociopath and not giving a damn for his soldier's lives. But if she and Hades were active in the distant past, how much influence did they have over everything that transpired in the conflicts leading up to Uprising? And whether or not the Underworld forces had a hand in Medusa's fall from grace or not, dying and being brought back to life the way Medusa has would give anyone an existential crisis. Would you not even consider the possibility everything you believed up until then could have been a lie perpetuated by someone more powerful than you for their own benefit?
You can attribute that to poor writing/planning.
In a world where pretty much everyone dies and is brought back again, I don't think many have an existencial crisis and just think of it as an incovenience, kinda like Palutena's army who don't really care if they die, they'll be brought back anyway.
I don't think the Underworld had anything to do with Medusa's and Palutena's quarrel, it seems more like Medusa was being a sociopath or something. By saying "prior to Uprising", how much time do you mean? The 25 years between the first game and Uprising? Or the whole history of Angel Land?

There is ambiguity about her motivation and how she came back from the dead, but the explanation we get in-game is so vague that one could infer a lot of things from it. It's quite strongly implied she has a quarrel with Hades for using her, but whether this Medusa that attacked Hades was the 'original' or a copy, or whether Hades revived her again or she came back by herself, or whether she just showed up the second she had an opportunity for revenge or whether she had a change of heart is never made clear. And she exited just as quickly as she entered the battle, with Hades making a fool out of her yet again, perhaps retiring her for good.
OK, nevermind, just ignore everything I said, I guess.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sadly interpretation is a double-edged sword. Without concrete facts anyone is free to come to their own conclusions and it's difficult to argue. Personally I wouldn't use this to make myself miserable by painting everyone as out to ruin the character, but eh.
You can attribute that to poor writing/planning.
In a world where pretty much everyone dies and is brought back again, I don't think many have an existencial crisis and just think of it as an incovenience, kinda like Palutena's army who don't really care if they die, they'll be brought back anyway.
I don't think the Underworld had anything to do with Medusa's and Palutena's quarrel, it seems more like Medusa was being a sociopath or something. By saying "prior to Uprising", how much time do you mean? The 25 years between the first game and Uprising? Or the whole history of Angel Land?

OK, nevermind, just ignore everything I said, I guess.
Most of the time anyone revived knows who is doing the reviving and is warned ahead of time. Medusa seems to be the exception until the end. So why is it her supposed troops don't act surprised towards Hades in any way?

He has probably been around longer than all the games, but likely went into hiding before the start of the first, installing Medusa as a puppet ruler in the process.

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Well, if we think of it like that (which is a way to retroactively add Hades), it would create a sort of big plot hole of sorts. In KIU Medusa doesn't know how or why she was revived, which makes no sense if she was always aware of Hades' presence. UNLESS Hades was hidden ALL ALONG and ordered everyone in the Underwolrd army to follow Medusa's order without her knowing he was behind it all, which sounds... kinda... eh... dumb? Overcomplicated? Again, the writing/planning on this game's story is getting worse the more we look into it. The whole reviving thing is already a mess, adding selective amnesia and retcons just makes it worse :p

Jovian the Conqueror

Smash Cadet
I don't think coherent storytelling is really Sakurai's strong point, tbh. At least it made the storyline unpredictable.

As for Medusa's comeback at the end, I doubt Sakurai thought about it in that much depth. I think he just needed someone to punch off Hades's head to reveal his last form, and decided that Medusa would be it. He just needed to come up with a vague excuse as to why she's suddenly back from the dead and hates Hades, and left everything else to the player's imagination. And he needed an excuse to get rid of her as soon as her job was done, hence her being in a 'weakened state' according to the idol, though this was never made clear in-game.

Last edited:

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to expand on my idea of unemployed Medusa from a while ago, so I decided to draw her in casual clothes :p
Sorry for the lined paper, I'll eventually draw her in digital and add a gorgon variant :p
EDIT: DONE!
MedusaU001.png MedusaU001 Color.png

Last edited:

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Thank you! TBH I wasn't expecting this picture to be so popular (at least in dA and reddit XD), but it's a good thing because I'm already working on another one and have 2 more ideas coming :p
EDIT: DONE! I'm gonna take a little break now, those snakes are killing me. XD

1581800363085.png MedusaU002.png

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Man, it’s been a while since we checked back here. We barely have anything to talk about... except for this piece of Medusa fan art, of our big girl and an adoring follower.

Hey, compared to some other “giantess” art, this is very tame and safe for work, not to mention thematically appropriate for this thread. :4pacman:
If “big girls” aren’t your speed, then how about a piece of artwork of her and :ultpit: by DoodledStars.
https://doodledstars.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F611358814084661248

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly, it doesn't seem guaranteed that a KI sequel could come any time soon:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...te_after_he_finishes_smash_bros_ultimates_dlc

Between this and his recent comments about how he feels about justifying making sequels to beloved games.
I hope he sticks to doing smaller projects after all this is done. I say yes the next game he should make is an sequel to Kid Icarus: Uprising. It won't be as draining to him as Smash is.

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
You draw Medusa like a super model great job. :love:
Thank you! That was pretty much the point of the last couple of pics, so I'm glad it came accross that way. :p

As of the previous topic: guys, it doesn't necessarily has to be Sakurai the one who makes a new KI game (which is something worrisome if you take in account how many years has passedd since KIU and Nintendo has done nothing with the franchise :p)

Jovian the Conqueror

Smash Cadet
Thank you! That was pretty much the point of the last couple of pics, so I'm glad it came accross that way. :p

As of the previous topic: guys, it doesn't necessarily has to be Sakurai the one who makes a new KI game (which is something worrisome if you take in account how many years has passedd since KIU and Nintendo has done nothing with the franchise :p)
I sometimes hope that Sakurai won't be involved in the next KI game. I felt he treated Medusa as something of a joke, and has somewhat cemented her as such. In KIU, I felt it was Cree Summer that gave the character life. I hope whoever takes over is passionate about the character. Pygmalio would be an excellent inspiration for how to utilise Medusa, and not so much KIU. Medusa was a truly remarkable villain in the manga Pygmalio.

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
o.o
*don'tgetyourhopesup* *don'tgetyourhopesup* *don'tgetyourhopesup*
*takes deep breath*
Probably Sakurai just having fun :'3
EDIT: I'm having fun, too! :p
Lesson.png
EDIT 2: Happy animal day!
Belly rub.png

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
i'm quite happy Velvet was even at least doing some foot work for her Medusa mod, but due to her retirement she warned a month prior, it's kind of a shame Velvet won't be around completing what was left incomplete after the whole aussie bush fire and another problem coming in so soon like that.

the people behind PMEX: Remix, however, picked up on what she had left with Palutena. So i'm kinda hoping they'll spruce some interest on completing that one Medusa mod next. (especially WarioTails, he's a freaking wizard with his experiemental backports on Ultimate characters and effects for Brawl.)
i'd still want to do my own take someday, but IRL issues are pinning me down like high gravity to keep studying blender usage and how to do a Brawl mod even, bleugh.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
KI briefly came up as a topic in the Newcomer thread, saw a few still saying Medusa should be the next logical choice. Reminded me it's not that unpopular of an opinion as one would think (Hades/Viridi/Magnus being the first that come up in most discussions, usually).

Also saw this recently, I'd have loved this over the simple dress change.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Guess who didn't get mentioned :p
Why does it matter that a random Youtuber doesn't mention our girl in the video? It's not like it was Nintendo or somebody like the Completionist that forget to mention Medusa in a Kid Icarus video.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Also apparently Uprising is underrated now?

I guess in the greater scope of gaming and including all consoles/PC, but still.

Jovian the Conqueror

Smash Cadet
Guess who didn't get mentioned :p
Maybe he should've said "Medusa is the most underappreciated villain ever made and doesn't get the respect and recognition she deserves" instead.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
(Sigh...) I miss this ghost town of a thread. Has there been any progress on your fan projects?
Also, I think I have some pieces of fan art that are interesting from a character design and color palette perspective.

zferolie

Smash Hero
All these Switch ports/remakes from Nintendo but the one that needs it most (Uprising) is probably never happening. I can only imagine how fun an HD version with actual good controls could be like...
Since We got the N64 mario 64 and not the much better and more content filled Mario 64 DS, it really shows Nintendo is not going to remake a game that heavily uses touch controls unless they really feel like it will make a lot of money... which I sadly don't see Uprising doing.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Since We got the N64 mario 64 and not the much better and more content filled Mario 64 DS, it really shows Nintendo is not going to remake a game that heavily uses touch controls unless they really feel like it will make a lot of money... which I sadly don't see Uprising doing.
DS had more content and Yoshi, Luigi, and Wario as playable characters, but the gameplay seemed more clunky in comparison to 64 due to the DS only having a D-pad. DS was decent, but in that regard it can't compare to the original SM64.

zferolie

Smash Hero
DS had more content and Yoshi, Luigi, and Wario as playable characters, but the gameplay seemed more clunky in comparison to 64 due to the DS only having a D-pad. DS was decent, but in that regard it can't compare to the original SM64.
If they updated the gameplay to use non touch controls im sure it would play as well as the original. But nintendo doesnt want to take the time to update touch controls, which is why i fear we wont get an hd remake of uprising sadly

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If they updated the gameplay to use non touch controls im sure it would play as well as the original. But nintendo doesnt want to take the time to update touch controls, which is why i fear we wont get an hd remake of uprising sadly
I honestly if I was Nintendo, I would not only remake SM64 but put in all the content from DS as well as add the 35 cut stages that was going to be on the N64DD version of the game.

Top Bottom