• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Medusa's Secret Hideout

Favourite commander of Medusa's army?

• Twinbellows

• Dark Lord Gaul

• Hewdraw

• Pandora

• Thanatos

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
It’s awfully lonely here, with just the two of us just pushing the thread along (although I am looking forward to your next update mon ami). What else do we talk about other than draft up designs and plans for a Smash!Medusa mod... oh, I know, the Sonic The Hedgehog movie trailer dropped recently, plus there are movies like Avengers Endgame and SHAZAM! out at the moment, with Detective Pikachu and the new Godzilla movie book ending May. What are your thoughts on each? Are there anything else you’re enjoying or looking forward to?
I’m trying to get a proper conversation going here...

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Perfect timing!
Here's this week's update! https://www.deviantart.com/klaymoor/art/Medusa-Smash-Bros-Design-WIP-1-5-2019-796014980
I've been working on the scales, trying to find the sweetspot between realism and anime-ish style, it's been rough. I've got a commissino coming so this'll be even slower, sorry! xDu

I saw the Sonic trailer yesterday morning, wasn't pretty, so I went to see End Game afterwards to wash my eyes. xD Good stuff, although there's a couple of details that bothered me, I'm not gonna talk about them so I don't spoil anything for anyone. I wanna go see Shazam, looks like DC is finally having fun with their super hero movies.
I'm not particularly interested in Detective Pikachu or Godzilla. DP doesn't look appealing to me and I don't think Hollywood understands what makes Godzilla movies enjoyable.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
It is coming along very nicely, I can't wait for the next update.
Sonic... not exactly doing video game movies any favors with its stylings, music choice ("Gangster's Paradise" was used for this and NOT JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind? At least we got "Modern Crusaders" out of it), and what not. It certainly makes Detective Pikachu look more promising in comparison, it had been since November (I still tear up when I think of the Louis Armstrong trailer). As for Godzilla, the anime trilogy didn't exactly understand what made the classic films and their kaiju enjoyable either (I am NOT touching anything written by the Urobutcher, thank you very much).
i've been meaning to see Endgame, I've been hearing good things about it. And yes, you should get around to seeing SHAZAM! Take it from someone who enjoyed the previous DC Universe films, it is an absolute delight even if you haven’t been fond of the previous films.

Last edited:

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I totally forgot about the anime Godzilla movies, I haven't seen the last one. I really didn't like the first 2, Godzilla seems more like an afterthought, you can take it out of those movies and NOTHING changes.

Laniv

Smash Lord
Perfect timing!
Here's this week's update! https://www.deviantart.com/klaymoor/art/Medusa-Smash-Bros-Design-WIP-1-5-2019-796014980
I've been working on the scales, trying to find the sweetspot between realism and anime-ish style, it's been rough. I've got a commissino coming so this'll be even slower, sorry! xDu

I saw the Sonic trailer yesterday morning, wasn't pretty, so I went to see End Game afterwards to wash my eyes. xD Good stuff, although there's a couple of details that bothered me, I'm not gonna talk about them so I don't spoil anything for anyone. I wanna go see Shazam, looks like DC is finally having fun with their super hero movies.
I'm not particularly interested in Detective Pikachu or Godzilla. DP doesn't look appealing to me and I don't think Hollywood understands what makes Godzilla movies enjoyable.
Nice job! Man, seeing this reminds me that I should probably redraw that old Medusa pic I've got lying around...

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Both! :p
Before and after art comparison pic thingies are always awesome to see :D

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I noticed the thread about Zelda one-offs has made a comeback and it got me thinking. Who are the “Big 3” of Kid Icarus?

I’d have to say they are Pit, Palutena, and Medusa. Could an argument be made against that? The protagonist, the damsel in distress (for lack of a better term at the moment), and the villain. They mirror Link, Zelda, and Ganon pretty spot on. That sorta makes Medusa’s inclusion in Smash an eventual inevitability in a sense wouldn’t it?

Last edited:

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
You'd think, right? At this point IDK anymore, half of the roster decisions don't make sense to me. Plus she isn't particularly popular, so there's that to keep in mind (although Palutena wasn't that popular until she was announced for Smash 4). I'm just gonna say that I'm glad Medusa's existence is finally being recognized by more people.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Perfect timing!

ooooh progress :DDD

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Hi!

I'm sorry for not being active lately on Smashboards, I was kinda busy, and when you dare miss one notification you really can easily think "well, the thread isn't active".

I'll make it short but Klaymoor Klaymoor I've just seen your latest WIP and I love it!
Laniv Laniv somehow I have a liking for the older version. I don't really know why, probably the expression with the eyebrows.

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Agh! Sorry I'm late for the weekly update, had a rough week and could barely do anything. e.e
Works for the best, though, I've been considering moving the updates to fridays anyway XD
https://www.deviantart.com/klaymoor/art/Medusa-Smash-Bros-Design-WIP-10-5-2019-797171424
Snakes and hair mostly, but I also fixed her head after watching some digital art tips and realizing it just wasn't right. (I also learned how to do the whole 'no lines' thing and I got it ALL WRONG, I'm literally doing everything in reverse xD)
Laniv! I love those Medusas! But I have to agree with Erotic&Heretic, while I do see overall improvement in the newer one, the expression on the old one just has "something". :p

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Looking good as always, Klaymoor. I don’t think I need to say a lot more, other than I can’t wait for the snakes to be done.
Laniv, that is an excellent example of improvement from consistent practice. Keep at it, you’ll make it far.

EDIT: Hey guys! The Models Resource had just added the Medusa idol model to their Kid Icarus Uprising collection. It’s probably gonna need some fixing (namely in the textures and her staff, probably take them from her Smash 4 trophy for that), but this is very neat to see.

Last edited:

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Oh my, oh my, let's take a look at that! <3

EDIT: OK, apparently I really need Autodesk to run that extension, 'cause she's missing a lot of parts when I open that file with other programs.

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
For a while now, it's seemed to me that people didn't care for Medusa in Uprising as much as the ensemble of newbies like Hades & Viridi because she didn't have that many comical/interesting traits compared to them. So with that I ask y'all, what would you retool or add on to Medusa in a hypothetical new KI for the audience to gravitate to her more?

Perhaps she could play as an unorthodox straight woman to the more outlandish jokes of the rest of the cast?

Maybe you could introduce more exaggerated traits & imply a vaguely "sisterly" rivalry with Palutena, with her acting as a cynical foil to the goddess of light for comedic effect (think Daffy Duck & Bugs Bunny), and potentially more in-depth disputes about the time she was transformed by Palu pre-Kid Icarus.

Or she could be a cold, vengeful bad*** bent on sabotaging any attempted plot by Hades.

Or maybe she's just fine as is? What does anybody else think? (I'm partial to the second option I described, not to toot my own horn...)

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
As far as I can tell, she already is something of a “straight (wo)man” to the rest of the characters, by virtue of being one of the few characters who takes themselves somewhat seriously, and it’s a real shame Uprising never really capitalized on it. I would enjoy seeing her have a more fleshed out backstory (namely, one that tries to reconcile the mythological Medusa origin with what Kid Icarus lore gave us back in the pages of the NES instruction manual) and more character interactions in general.
That Medusa/Hades dynamic, however, does remind me of Overly Sarcastic Productions and their video on “Pure Evil” villains and the ways to write one, and one of those ways is to have a complex villainous foil to contrast them. Naturally, Hades and Medusa fit those respective characterizations and characteristics to a strong degree (in concept, anyway), and they should capitalize on that if they ever give us a new Kid Icarus game one of these days/years, whatever comes first.
(On another note, I recommend Overly Sarcastic Productions to those who enjoy literature and history, want to learn about the former without the mountains of paperwork or complex dialects/terminology, learn writing techniques to improve your stories, or if you just enjoy neat stories told with simple but appealing drawings. They are an absolute treasure to watch.)

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Weekly update! I'm almost done! https://www.deviantart.com/klaymoor/art/Medusa-Smash-Bros-Design-WIP-17-5-2019-798034292
I uploaded this a little earlier because I want to share my 2 cents about this topic!
Like Sunny-Zee, I see Medusa as a "straight woman" for everyone else's silliness (that's why I gave my cartoon Medusa that permanent expression on her face, she's SO done with everyone's crap), and maybe that didn't suit well with people? IDK, it works for me.
Personally, I love the way she is now and wouldn't change anything about her, if anything they could go a little further like Ed-boy said. What I think she seriously needed in KIU is more screentime, backstory and possibly a better motivation for her actions (both the animated short and the manga failed miserably at that), we barely see her and she just comes out as a simple "I'm evil" villain. Also I didn't feel the relationship between Palutena and Medusa, they didn't talk to each other as former co-rulers of Angel Land, y'know?
BTW, can I mention the total BS that's Viridi's redemption? Medusa kills humans: Oh, no, she's evil and she must be destroyed! Viridi kills humans: Let's be friends! That's some serious bias. I have some theories on why other characters are popular, but I think I couldn't explain them without being mean to their respective fans. xDu

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Hi!

Nice progress on the art, Klaymoor Klaymoor ! I also really love the fanarts by s0bk, it's cute.

Regarding Medusa in a potential KI:U sequel, I'd like her to be more of a anti-hero this time. Working toward a similar goal as the heroes, while not being really an ally. For example, she could try to reclaim her throne in the underworld. It could be a way to have her interact more, because that's what she lacks mostly: screentime and dialogue lines. The personality doesn't have to change: there can be humour exactly because she is serious.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Best hope is try and get enough outrcry for a new KI game or Uprising port to Switch. It would make things a whole lot easier too.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Oh, this is funny - I was just saying on the Banjo support thread that Medusa is one of my top ten most wanted characters for Smash 6. I'm not very familiar with Kid Icarus (I've only played a little bit of the original on NES), but having Pit and Palutena but not Medusa does indeed feel like having Link and Zelda but not Ganon/dorf.

Viridi would also be acceptable.

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
And here's the weekly update! https://www.deviantart.com/klaymoor/art/Medusa-Smash-Bros-Design-WIP-24-5-2019-798932561
I spent way too much time working on that darned bangle and it still doesn't look right! XD
And yes, Planet Cool, it does feel like she's missing, I've read many people pointing that out, but I guess she isn't as popular? Right now I have 0 hopes she'll be a DLC, since all the decisions seem more marketing/business oriented. MAYBE a character costume? There are some theories going around that they might be a thing in the future.
BTW, how can I tag people in my posts like Erotic&Heretic does?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Oh, this is funny - I was just saying on the Banjo support thread that Medusa is one of my top ten most wanted characters for Smash 6. I'm not very familiar with Kid Icarus (I've only played a little bit of the original on NES), but having Pit and Palutena but not Medusa does indeed feel like having Link and Zelda but not Ganon/dorf.

Viridi would also be acceptable.
Stop whatever you’re doing and go play Uprising...it’ll change your gaming life

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Is there a Medusa twitter? Anyways Ive started one after seeing a Viridi twitter finally, but have a lot of things to do for the next few days but will be making at minimum weekly posts.

Would help to get followers at the start, and I guess add it to the first post? I had a successeful bayonetta twitter with lots of followers tho most not active before and then gave away the twitter after reveal, it was kinda taking over my life thats why I wont be so active for this one until next game. (Besides DLC is gonna be 3rd party most likely).

And might change it to a general Kid Icarus one just to get the fans together, ill see.

https://twitter.com/Medusa4Smash
And here's the weekly update! https://www.deviantart.com/klaymoor/art/Medusa-Smash-Bros-Design-WIP-24-5-2019-798932561
I spent way too much time working on that darned bangle and it still doesn't look right! XD
And yes, Planet Cool, it does feel like she's missing, I've read many people pointing that out, but I guess she isn't as popular? Right now I have 0 hopes she'll be a DLC, since all the decisions seem more marketing/business oriented. MAYBE a character costume? There are some theories going around that they might be a thing in the future.
BTW, how can I tag people in my posts like Erotic&Heretic does?
You just @ and the type the name.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I found this while browsing for Medusa art and felt it was worth sharing
705337D6-2B28-4486-92DF-37E62035AB92.png

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Not to put down the picture, it is a nice mockup (the artist called it that, herself), but that is clip art. I can recognize at least that Pit artwork, that Medusa, and that siren as well. To be fair, she did credit each artist in the artworks description.
I’m sorry, but those kinds of pictures kind of require individual sourcing.
On a more positive note, her other works (like mockups for an English release of Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem and a Super Nintendo version of Golden Sun) aren’t anything to sneeze at, either.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
That Medusa looks legit amazing. I'm still bummed that Smashified never made a Smash 4-style render of her to put in my roster. Then again, demand for her seems to be fairly low...

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Yh I recognised the Medusa art since had it in my KI collection on deviantart and is also what I used on my Medusa Smash Twitter.
That Medusa looks legit amazing. I'm still bummed that Smashified never made a Smash 4-style render of her to put in my roster. Then again, demand for her seems to be fairly low...
Lower than Hades and Viridi, and Viridi has dropped a lot during Smash Ultimate.
Im planning on making a 3D model in like a year and a bit, when I actually learn how to do characters.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
For shame. Kids These Days don't appreciate the classics. I mean, Viridi is a good option too, but certainly not before Medusa.

Does anyone have any good moveset ideas for her? Her Final Smash has to be turning into the big face from the original KI, right?

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
For shame. Kids These Days don't appreciate the classics. I mean, Viridi is a good option too, but certainly not before Medusa.

Does anyone have any good moveset ideas for her? Her Final Smash has to be turning into the big face from the original KI, right?
I’d very much like for her standard special (B attack) to be a glare that turns foes to stone. Temporarily of course.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
There should be some movesets in the first post.

Speaking of which, would be a good idea to look for and link all Medusa movesets in written / image / video forms, as a reference.

And have them all in one place - like the first post and also in a Public Google Drive/Imgur archive of some sort.

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
I was working on a moveset before doing the redesign of her dress, I should get back to that after finishing xDu
EDIT: I could tell you some of the ideas I have if you wanna know :p

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
One thing id like to share is that apaprently someone commisioned Medusa for the artist NinN on twitter, who you may know for making this amazing rainbow smash art.

1559089918298.png

Sooo its only a matter of time until Medusa gets a new awesome peice of art!!

Ive been in talks with some people over trying to get more Switch Kid Icarus boxarts through a competition. That would be neat, since theres only 2 decent ones you could find on google images out of like, 4 attempts. Would help people request KI for Switch - which is the main thing we need to get any Kid Icarus character to have a decent chance for a future smash game. Period.

If Kid Icarus stays dead - we will get no Medusa, no Hades or no Viridi either. In general the KI content has been cut from 4 to Ultimate, worst of all being Magnus removed as an AT. The Smash Run enemies / trophies is more fair game... and was only there because Uprising existed.

So yeah, we need a HD Kid Icarus game. Period.

I was working on a moveset before doing the redesign of her dress, I should get back to that after finishing xDu
EDIT: I could tell you some of the ideas I have if you wanna know :p
do you have a source for that icon and may I use it on my twitter?

Also it would be nice to breifly know some ideas, but save the detail and some surprise for later.

Last edited:

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Sadly I don't have a source, I found it randomly :(
As for ideas, I'll update this post tomorrow, it's very late RN and I gotta go to sleep XD

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
What we need is a Switch port of Uprising. I haven't played the game, but everything I've seen and heard about it suggests that it's a console game at heart, and probably should've been on Wii U.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
What we need is a Switch port of Uprising. I haven't played the game, but everything I've seen and heard about it suggests that it's a console game at heart, and probably should've been on Wii U.
I agree, and if it was on Wii U, yeah we would get Smash at least a whole year later, but at least it would be very easy to port to Switch.

Without having any Kid Icarus game, even a port of Uprising, there is next to no chance of getting another Kid Icarus character into Smash, sadly. The movesets would be amazing, and the cast will feel incomplete forever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom