• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Medusa's Secret Hideout

Favourite commander of Medusa's army?

• Twinbellows

• Dark Lord Gaul

• Hewdraw

• Pandora

• Thanatos

Results are only viewable after voting.

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking that could be her grab, y'know, she holds her opponent with her free hand and the snakes bite 'em :p

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
She could also instead of run, when dashing. She could hover across the stage like Palutena.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
For some reasons, I'd still want her to have a snake tail when running, but I know that would be weird, it's clear that she actually have legs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Gotta say, while it's been mentioned on here before that voice actress retrieval could pose a problem for her inclusion in the future, I don't think so. When Viridi's been brought back, Hynden Walch had to be substituted for Dayci Brookshire for the PGs. Pokémon Trainer's (union?) VA got replaced as well. Even :ultlittlemac: has had a different VA from the start since his playable debut in 4, since he uses a Japanese VA instead of his Canadian one from Next Level Games.

So it stands to reason that Medusa can have someone new voice her if she does get considered.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There is that possibility, but more likely, the VA could just go uncredited, and it's not as if every voice project Cree Summer has ever done was a quality project, because she's voiced plenty of projects that were absolute dog turds (I know; we all gotta eat). But, if this we gotta get "the other Darrin", so be it.

The fact we didn't get many Echo Fighters is kind of a bummer this time, and I know we got all pissy about "wasted slots" 5 years ago because now we could use characters to get more fighters in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There is that possibility, but more likely, the VA could just go uncredited, and it's not as if every voice project Cree Summer has ever done was a quality project, because she's voiced plenty of projects that were absolute dog turds (I know; we all gotta eat). But, if this we gotta get "the other Darrin", so be it.

The fact we didn't get many Echo Fighters is kind of a bummer this time, and I know we got all pissy about "wasted slots" 5 years ago because now we could use characters to get more fighters in.
Well, they had to rush for Christmas and Nintendo's deadline. Can't control that.

It would be nice to know if there will be the option to add Echoes for DLC, seeing as there's open ID slots and all.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, they had to rush for Christmas and Nintendo's deadline. Can't control that.

It would be nice to know if there will be the option to add Echoes for DLC, seeing as there's open ID slots and all.
I would have gladly waited another year to get the game had they taken more time to bring back other modes like All Star Mode, Break the Targets, Home Run Contest, and Event Matches. In a way though, Spirits mode is basically Adventure Mode and Event Matches put together. But I still would like All Star mode, Break the Targets, and Home Run Contest to come back for DLC.

Echo Fighters I would love to see for DLC:

:ultyoshi:/Boshi
:ultpalutena:/Medusa
:ultdk:/Funky Kong
:ultsonic:/Metal Sonic
:ultmetaknight:/Galacta Knight
:ultfalcon:/Black Shadow
:ultbowser:/Dry Bowser
:ultganondorf:/Demise
:ultzelda:/Hilda
:ultness:/Ninten

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Medusa.png

Been playing a lot of Super Smash Bros Ultimate the past couple of days, and the roster is pretty much perfect in my eyes, but as it is an everlasting growth, the cast will still expand, and therefore I look for unique designs, and how fun they would be in my opinion.

Medusa is one of those characters that I think would make a great character. She is a great memoriable female villain and would be a perfect semi-clone of Palutena, but could also boost her own fully unique moveset and animations. In my opinion, the perfect choice for a Kid Icarus character, and villain preffered.

I'm appealed to the emo, gothic design choice of Medusa, and think that the personality would be something unique to the current roster. She would also fit very well inn with the likes of Ganondorf, Dark Samus, Ridley, K. Rool, etc. Her moves as stated earlier could variate a lot, which makes her a great candidate.

While I don't know how Nintendo, who is calling the shots this time, would consider the first parties the biggest priority, I do think that we at least are going to get one first party amongst the 4 unknown characters of DLC pass 1.

I'm going to keep on supporting the Queen of the Underworld during the DLC speculation days.

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Hey, guys! Sorry I haven't been around, I had surgery on monday :'3
Anyways, I wanna let you know I have a project in mind: I'm gonna draw some concept art for possible movesets for Medusa! (once I'm capable of doing so, I'm still in pain x.x)
BTW, here's a little meme I did a couple of weeks ago and forgot to post :p
https://imgur.com/gallery/PwgeM85 (HALP! Why is imgur so mean to me? ;o; I can't figure out how to post thumbnails here that'd link to imgur itself))

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey, guys! Sorry I haven't been around, I had surgery on monday :'3
Anyways, I wanna let you know I have a project in mind: I'm gonna draw some concept art for possible movesets for Medusa! (once I'm capable of doing so, I'm still in pain x.x)
BTW, here's a little meme I did a couple of weeks ago and forgot to post :p
https://imgur.com/gallery/PwgeM85 (HALP! Why is imgur so mean to me? ;o; I can't figure out how to post thumbnails here that'd link to imgur itself))
I hope you get better and I'm looking forward to seeing your conspect art for potential movesets for Medusa.

Last edited:

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Hey dudes! I got my stitches removed (from my surgery) and I'm feeling a lot better. So I'll try to work on that moveset thingy I mentioned a while ago. :D
I hope you don't mind they'll be rough sketches, and I'll be using my cartoon Medusa. It's a lot faster that way. :p
Once I complete some moves I'll be asking for feedback and ideas, I hope you'll all cooperate. \o/

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Hey dudes! I got my stitches removed (from my surgery) and I'm feeling a lot better. So I'll try to work on that moveset thingy I mentioned a while ago. :D
I hope you don't mind they'll be rough sketches, and I'll be using my cartoon Medusa. It's a lot faster that way. :p
Once I complete some moves I'll be asking for feedback and ideas, I hope you'll all cooperate. \o/
Hey, that's looking good! Looking forward the final thing

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Hey, that's looking good! Looking forward the final thing
Thank you very much for your kind words! :D
Unfortunately, as soon as I finished that one, I got very busy and couldn't work on any of the ideas I have. I had a notepad with me so I made some quick sketches so I won't forget said ideas (mostly stick figures just to get the gestures right).
A couple of days ago I started drawing one of them digitally, and after doing some work I realized I was doing the lineart in the same layer as the sketch, so it turned out kinda bad. I spent a couple of hours today trying to fix it, but I think I wasted my time, it would've been faster to start over :p Well, live and learn. xDu
This is how it looks now:

I'm not 100% happy with Medusa's pose, kinda rigid but at the same time necessary. The others will look a lot better :p

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Hello, Underworld Army! I've been somewhat of a long time lurker, first time poster (and before you ask, YES, I put up my introduction on the welcome board). Now on to business.

All of this artwork and moveset concepts are great, really, but I think we would get a little more support (or 3D artwork and mod support, at least) if we had a full HD-quality model. Now, we already have a 3DS model rip, that's great, but it's not exactly character mod material outside of Project M and MAYBE Sm4sh 3DS, and it's BARELY good enough for Garry's Mod and MMD. What we really need is a model that wouldn't clash horribly with the models already in the game, like Palutena and the Pits (...a little off topic, but that is a good name for a classic rock band). And I think a good set of guys for the job are custom modeler group "The Astonishing Company," or "The ACee" for short.
I first heard of them off of the videos of GMod animator Crispy Toast, and that they can do commissions, something that I think would be of interest to anyone who desires a character for Smash that doesn't already have a ready-to-use model. Here's their website, and here's the page for the 3D conversion, specifically, plus they have a Discord if you want to keep up with the model progress. Give them some reference material, like concept art and character references, and we'll have something beautiful on our hands.
It may get a little expensive to get all the details we could want out of her (an animation rig, alternate facial expressions, better detailing, and alternate costumes, for example), but it IS a suggestion. I put this out there because I want to see more of our dear Goddess of Darkness (and Pandora too, based on the voting results so far), and that maybe having to pay for it ourselves is the best way to express ourselves at this point. And on the topic of alternate costumes, which ones do you want to see out of Medusa and Amazon Pandora? Something referential, something awkward, or something in-between? My personal picks are of characters that share their names like the Medusas (Medusae?) from Fate/Stay Night and Soul Eater, and the Pandora from DC's "New 52" comic line (for Pandora herself) and the Amazons from the Wonder Woman movie (for the "Amazon" part of her name).

Anyways, have a nice day, and "Be Good to Yourselves!"

Scipion3

Smash Cadet
Speaking of support. I've noticed that Alpharad have clearly shows some in her favor several times in his videos. It's nice to see that a famous youtuber like him supports her.
Who knows, maybe he will predict her like he did with the Joker

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
I think a character like Medusa would need a TON of work, how much do you think they'd charge for her?

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Well, according to their website, the basic conversion package has a $45 price tag and its primary features are "high level of fidelity to the reference images, Custom modeling, Basic Cartoon/Anime textures, Default outfit" and that "delivery will depend on the amount of features ordered and the complexity of the model," so taking that into account, time is the more precious element in play here and the options are the priciest detail about it.

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
I think we should decide what we want out of that model and see how much it'll cost. I'll be honest and say I'm not in a position to spend a lot of extra money, but I'm willing to throw some at this if it means we could have a playable Medusa on Project M or whatever. (a model for animations could be nice, too)

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
That's the spirit! The pages are up in my first post for you folks to check out. Maybe tell the other "Newcomer Speculation" threads you support while you're at it.

Update: Coming back to this a few hours later, but I want to say that we should test out a Medusa mod first in Smash 4 Wii U because a) Palutena was first made playable there to help our case for Medusa as Palutena's Echo Fighter, and b) the Wii U doesn't have that much update support anymore compared to SSBU's more active and attentive online enforcement, making Sm4sh a safer test bed.

Last edited:

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been able to draw much these past few weeks, but I'm still coming up with ideas n' stuff.
I ran into a little bit of an issue, though: Medusa's dress is way too long, she kinda drags it around, and that makes it hard for her to look ok while jumping, running, etc.. (actually, she would trip if anything)
Here's an idea for a slight redesign of her dress, slightly based on her "original" form from her animated short: https://imgur.com/a/NcAsrPA (sorry it is in lined paper, it's what I had at hand xDu Also, OUCH, I forgot to draw her left hand! And yes, I gave her scale-y legs to match her arms)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
A redesign like Palutena's dress seems to be the way to go, just a shorter dress would be weird for some reason. Although, Zelda manage to have a long dress that touches the ground, especially TP Zelda in Smash 4, so maybe.
And scaly legs seems a no brainer too!

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Nicely done, Klaymoor! I can totally see that being a possible Smash!Medusa variant design. It gives us a good look at her legs, and it parallels Palutena’s own design, something that fits her status as both Palutena’s dark counterpart and possible moveset clone. Not to mention how it’s a little more practical compared to her canon dress, as you’ve pointed out.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Zelda's dress does kinda touch the ground with the very "edges", but it still let's her move and jump normally: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...da_SSBB.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140215154243
While Medusa's has many layers that fold multiple times making it hard to even walk in that thing (no wonder she kept teleporting around during her boss fight :p ) https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dr-pablo-motos-y-sus-villanos/images/8/82/Medusa_(Kid_Icarus).jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180608213749&path-prefix=es
Absolutely, I mentionned Zelda only in the case of shortening Medusa's dress for movement sake. But it still feels off to imagine this, mirroring Palutena's seems better.

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Absolutely, I mentionned Zelda only in the case of shortening Medusa's dress for movement sake. But it still feels off to imagine this, mirroring Palutena's seems better.
Ah! Didn't get that, sorry! :p
I could draw that and see how it goes if you want. :p
Nicely done, Klaymoor! I can totally see that being a possible Smash!Medusa variant design. It gives us a good look at her legs, and it parallels Palutena’s own design, something that fits her status as both Palutena’s dark counterpart and possible moveset clone. Not to mention how it’s a little more practical compared to her canon dress, as you’ve pointed out.
I didn't think of that! It DOES make her a more fitting clone/echo :D

BTW, it wasn't my intention to mirror Palutena's dress, I simply removed many of the layers of Medusa's and shortened the remaining ones (which I could shorten even more, TBH, having the other leg hidden makes the pose look really weird)

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Well, simply shortening the dress to show her feet would be considered good enough for most people, but actually taking into account the split in the dress and figuring out what the rest of her leg looks like is a very welcome detail.

Kinda-sorta related, but I’ve seen a Zelda amiibo converted into a custom Medusa amiibo, so using Zelda as a stylistic basis has a little bit of precedence.

Update (2/3/19): I actually got the photo right off of reddit and imgur. I couldn’t embed it because SmashBoards was being a fickle thing on mobile.
https://m.imgur.com/OG0A1xr

Update (2/16/19): Coming back here for an update because I don't want to double post. Klaymoor, is it okay for me to color in that Medusa art, see how it looks? I have a Deviantart, so that could be a possible complication... Sorry for necro-ing this thread. Just don't want this Support thread to die out. On another note, the change in dress does make it easier to edit together a Medusa model from bits and pieces of Palutena, Rosalina and Twilight Princess!Zelda with a handful of original modeled segments, like her snake hair, staff, trinkets, et cetera. Food for thought...

Last edited:

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
I can color it if you want me to.
But if not, remember to link me as the original artist :p -> https://www.deviantart.com/klaymoor
EDIT: Are you thinking of 'chimaering' a Medusa model? :p It could save us money, but IDK about the quality XD

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I would love Medusa. Her new look is perfect, her special could involve a turned-to-stone stun and she’d be the first female villain.

Dark Pit, you’re out, Medusa, you’re in!

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
I can color it if you want me to.
But if not, remember to link me as the original artist :p -> https://www.deviantart.com/klaymoor
EDIT: Are you thinking of 'chimaering' a Medusa model? :p It could save us money, but IDK about the quality XD
First off, that would be much appreciated, thank you.
Second of all, I would love to do it myself, but I have neither the software nor the skills to do so. I just give out suggestions for people to entertain. (Also, I prefer the term “Frankensteining,” as I’ve heard the term tossed around in toy customization. “Chimeraing” is a bit of a new one...)
In terms of other people who could do the job, MAYBE Rafa-Knight (responsible for the Shantae and Athletic Inkling models, and many an Archie Comics cover), Nibroc-Rock, and Hakirya (deviantart.com/hakirya) could do the job, but I’m not entirely sure...

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
So, just to be on the safe side, I'm supposed to color (and also do some clean lines to) this Medusa design: https://imgur.com/gallery/NcAsrPA ?
I don't know much about 3D modelling either, I studied a long time ago but never did anything with it, eventually I forgot almost everything about it. :p
Hey, as long as they do a decent job, anyone could do it :p

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for double posting, but here're some updates:
I'm still working on both, Medusa's moveset and coloring the design for Smash Bros, but I also got my very first commission ever, so that'll take priority. I'll try to squeeze some hours for Medusa whenever I can. :p
BTW, I wasn't happy with the redesign's pose, and now I know why:
This is what I wanted to do: https://i.imgur.com/exPsnET.png
This is the crap I made: https://i.imgur.com/eo3BnFB.png
Remember kids, balance is important!
I still have a lot to learn -.-

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
It’s okay dude, take your time. Just be thankful that a certain someone isn’t around to call you out on double posting. I want to say his name, but, you know, “speak of the devil...”
Also, I can now see why you would want to redraw and refine that Medusa sketch, she be looking a wee bit “Leifeldian,” if you catch my drift.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dark Pit, you’re out, Medusa, you’re in!
Bye Pittoo! Hello Medusa! If only. I would trade Dark Pit for our girl Medusa if had the option to take out any character in the roster and switch them out for a character I would want or prefer.

It’s okay dude, take your time. Just be thankful that a certain someone isn’t around to call you out on double posting. I want to say his name, but, you know, “speak of the devil...”
Also, I can now see why you would want to redraw and refine that Medusa sketch, she be looking a wee bit “Leifeldian,” if you catch my drift.
Does his name start with a D? If so, I know who it is. :)

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Hello, Underworld Army! I've been somewhat of a long time lurker, first time poster (and before you ask, YES, I put up my introduction on the welcome board). Now on to business.

All of this artwork and moveset concepts are great, really, but I think we would get a little more support (or 3D artwork and mod support, at least) if we had a full HD-quality model. Now, we already have a 3DS model rip, that's great, but it's not exactly character mod material outside of Project M and MAYBE Sm4sh 3DS, and it's BARELY good enough for Garry's Mod and MMD. What we really need is a model that wouldn't clash horribly with the models already in the game, like Palutena and the Pits (...a little off topic, but that is a good name for a classic rock band). And I think a good set of guys for the job are custom modeler group "The Astonishing Company," or "The ACee" for short.
I first heard of them off of the videos of GMod animator Crispy Toast, and that they can do commissions, something that I think would be of interest to anyone who desires a character for Smash that doesn't already have a ready-to-use model. Here's their website, and here's the page for the 3D conversion, specifically, plus they have a Discord if you want to keep up with the model progress. Give them some reference material, like concept art and character references, and we'll have something beautiful on our hands.
It may get a little expensive to get all the details we could want out of her (an animation rig, alternate facial expressions, better detailing, and alternate costumes, for example), but it IS a suggestion. I put this out there because I want to see more of our dear Goddess of Darkness (and Pandora too, based on the voting results so far), and that maybe having to pay for it ourselves is the best way to express ourselves at this point. And on the topic of alternate costumes, which ones do you want to see out of Medusa and Amazon Pandora? Something referential, something awkward, or something in-between? My personal picks are of characters that share their names like the Medusas (Medusae?) from Fate/Stay Night and Soul Eater, and the Pandora from DC's "New 52" comic line (for Pandora herself) and the Amazons from the Wonder Woman movie (for the "Amazon" part of her name).

Anyways, have a nice day, and "Be Good to Yourselves!"
oh hey is that the model of that Phanto Ga-, oof wait better not get onto that subject here. hehehe.
honestly, i was thinking of saving up a good amount of money to commission a 3D modeler to do a inspired redux of Uprising Medusa

now if only someone could also rip her actual Uprising model, because the Smash 3DS trophy version doesn't have all the nifty features the Uprising model had like the animated textures.

Last edited:

Klaymoor

Smash Apprentice
I'm with ZenythSmash, the KIU model would be neat.
On a side note, here're some updates:
1-I'm going back to work after a couple of months of inactivity due to my surgery, and that actually means more time dedicated to drawing n' stuff, because my job is kinda relaxed. Just today I dedicated some time to coloring Medusa's Smash Bros design concept, while also trying something new, going directly into colors and shadows without using lines, and honestly I'm not entirely sure if I'm ready for such kind of stuff :p https://imgur.com/gallery/ti1sF9J
I can always draw the lines later. What do you guys think?
2-Finally had the chance to actually play SMBU last weekend (it was my b-day! :D), it took me a while to get the hang of it, but in the end I loved the game, Simon is so much fun, and I love this iteration of Link! :D

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
I like it, I like it! :D Just keep at it, you’re doing great.
Also, it’s great to hear that a) you’re getting back into the swing of things, and b) you got around to playing SSBU and are enjoying it.

Top Bottom