• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Medusa's Secret Hideout

Favourite commander of Medusa's army?

• Twinbellows

• Dark Lord Gaul

• Hewdraw

• Pandora

• Thanatos

Results are only viewable after voting.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Sign me up! For me, this is the only acceptable Kid Icarus newcomer that I would personally enjoy.
She would be the Wario for Mario to Palutena. I'd love it.

D

Deleted member

I don't care how many souls we have to blend to get her in fighting shape; Medusa will finally wreak vengeance!

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Medusa was one of the very first characters i voted for on the smash ballot for smash 4, so i`ll still support her for smash 5.

Scipion3

Smash Cadet
Ridley has managed to made it. It's more likely there are only 2 places left for completing the roster (70 characters with 68 so far). Maybe asides from Ridley Daisy and Inkling there won't be any newcomers but Medusa still has a chance!
WE'LL NEED A FEMALE ANTAGONIST DAMNIT!!
Oh and also I vote for Pandora, strangely I prefer when she is a bubble

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Honetsly I don't see how Medusa can be an echo fighter of Palutena when they would have to animate her snake hairs too.

Plus she's not all that similar to her power-wise.

D

Deleted member

Honetsly I don't see how Medusa can be an echo fighter of Palutena when they would have to animate her snake hairs too.

You do recall that Ganondorf has played like a crappy Captain Falcon for the past 16+ years, right?

If they do make Medusa, they likely will consider this aspect to make development easier and have the Final Smash be radically different.

It's not the end result we would like, but beggers can't be choosers.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Im still going to hold out for her being added as an echo.
Her main difference could be like a stronger bair and DA that lack intangibility but make up for it by hitting harder.

Also imagine if they add emotions to the snakes lol. Like if she gets hit they have X's for eyes.

Scipion3

Smash Cadet
I think she could have slower but more powerful projectiles and a more aggressive game with her claw...

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Im still going to hold out for her being added as an echo.
Her main difference could be like a stronger bair and DA that lack intangibility but make up for it by hitting harder.

Also imagine if they add emotions to the snakes lol. Like if she gets hit they have X's for eyes.
As long as I've been wanting Medusa in Smash (before Palutena was revealed in Smash 4) and as much as I want her to have her own original move set in Ultimate, I would accept her as an echo fighter. I'm not sure about her clone moves but her counter should definitely be a witch time (don't hurt me thread) like mechanic that turns your opponents into stone for a brief amount of time. The reflect could just be a shield/barrier that destroys weak projectiles. Or if you counter a projectile it can turn into stone and be used as an item to pick up . The damage output would depend on how strong the projectile. In a way this could be like Medusa creating her own Peach turnips from your opponents projectile, but then again if Sakurai were to add everything mentioned here would Medusa be considered as an Echo Fighter?

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I use to want Hades but Medusa deserves the spot for smash ultimate she play a big major roles in KI franchise. I want to stone players man I want that.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
medusa as an echo fighter

*Aesthetic changes*
>Idle is slower and instead of a hair flip she rubs her chin like in one of her dialogue boxes in KIU. This is because her different hair style and personality don't work with palutenas idle animation of flipping her hair.
> Her facial animations are in general far "grumpier" than palutenas. She basically never smiles outside of her win poses, or taunts. During some of her attacks her eyes become a menacing shade of yellow/red like in her sprites.
> Her overall aesthetic has more of a darkness feel to it. Despite her specials and moves all working the same they have different effects from palutenas light based effects. Examples include Fsmash/Dsmash has black wings instead of white wings. Upair, and upsmash have purple effects instead of blue. Her reflect, and side b are also purple rather than blue. None of this actually affects gameplay in anyway as they all work the same.
> Taunts are 1- She places her hands on her hips and laughs. 2-She strokes the chin of one of her snakes on her hair. 3-Does a pole dance similar to palutena but she slides down the staff
> Win pose 1 - she thrusts her staff forward and laughs maniacally while her eyes become red. Win pose 2 - She pets a monoeye and says "all hail me". Win pose 3 - She slashes at the screen with her claw and laughs. If she wins vs palutena she says "Finally. Skyworld is mine." If she beats pit or dark pit she will say "how precious."

*Actual changes gameplay wise*
> Bair lacks intangibility but makes up for it by being stronger. Same animation and frame data but she uses her monster arm(kinda like doing a backhand without the shield). Its hits far harder and has a slightly bigger hitbox. It basically functions like ganondorfs back air.
> Dash Attack lacks intangibility as well but is much stronger than Palutenas, has the same animation but her monster arm kinda increases in size during the attack. It hits far harder and is slightly stronger than clouds dash attack.
> Final smash is her medusa stare where she reveals her monster face. It essentially is like bowser/zero suit final smash where she grows in size behind the stage and shoots a powerful beam at her opponents with her singular eye.
> Auto reticle doesnt shoout out anything but if the opponent is within its range it paralyzes(stuns) the opponent. It basically works like corrins neutral b but the stun lasts slightly longer. So imagine palutenas auto reticle having that small triangle aiming area but its brighter and a purple color and is slightly smaller but if the opponent is caught in it it can be devastating due to the stun being pretty good.

So overall she has no real changes outside of Bair, neutral b, and DA so it fits in with echos being very very very slightly different from the original. She shares a similar if not almost exact frame to palutena and ALSO uses a staff. While at first glance the lack of a shield may hurt her it really dosent considering Palutenas animations work even if a shield isnt there since medusa does have a monster hand. She also can be seen as "palutenas dark corrupted sister" making her similar to dark pit.
Her playstyle is essentially the same however the stronger DA, back air, lack of intangibility and her stun move make her more fit for landing that stun and going for a hard punish with a smash, DA or bair. While Palu doesnt normally use fsmash or dsmash, medusa does have an easier time landing either of them due to the stun. Her bair and DA are also quite potent but she cant wall as well due to the lack of intangibilty.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

Medusa echo definitely won't work. The staff is different size too, and Lucina was made playable because she was slightly too short .

Medusa would be quite a lot of work for echo as well since she has intricate design. The main reason she won't work is....no shield and the powers would make no sense.

Also I should update teh support list someday haha.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Medusa echo definitely won't work. The staff is different size too, and Lucina was made playable because she was slightly too short .

Medusa would be quite a lot of work for echo as well since she has intricate design. The main reason she won't work is....no shield and the powers would make no sense.

Also I should update teh support list someday haha.
This is another good point.

Medusa also lacks a shield as well. Sure the shield isn't used in most of Palutena's attacks, but that's still an important detail since the whole point of Echoes is that they should share the same skeleton as the character they are based on.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder... you think they still have Palutena's old custom move animations lying around?

I agree on principle that Medusa should be her own unique fighter but I can't see an convincing argument against her being a Pulutena Echo.

They were the opposing Godesses of Light and Shadow IIRC (well, Palutena is basically Athena and Medusa was a monster rather than a Goddess but KI is about as accurate to original mythology as Disney is)

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
While I don't oppose the idea (I actually rather like it), doesn't it seem ironic that people are making an argument for Medusa as an echo fighter, but the main post specifically argues against it? Sakurai gives clones a fancy name and warns that there may not be many newcomers and suddenly everybody likes clones. That said, I would love to see a Medusa echo.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Took the words right out of my hands.
I'm seeing more support for Echo fighters than regular ones.
Did I miss something? Did Sakurai say that the few Newcomers would be Echo fighters only? Cause I don't recall that.

In any case, Medusa is nowhere near echo material. It just wouldnt feel right. Sakurai went out of his way to declone Ganondorf even more, so it's highly unlikely that another somilar situation would occur.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
People are just getting desperate now that Sakurai has officially acknowledged clones. Just because they have a fancy new name doesn't mean anything has changed.

Medusa as an echo fighter makes no sense. They are nothing alike and have completely different abilities. Not only would it be out of character, it would look hideous to see Medusa do Palutena motions. Medusa wouldn't even use any of the custom specials Palutena had in Smash 4.

Daisy works as an echo fighter because she was always the alternative Peach since her debut in Super Mario Land and her reappearance in Mario Tennis. Dark Pit works because he's literally the mirror image of Pit manifested. Lucina works because she impersonated Marth. (I wish they would give her her Awakening fighting stance, though.) Palutena and Medusa don't have that kind of relationship, and they don't share abilities or powers either. They're complete opposites, basically.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Even I wish we have Medusa and Hades both in smash ultimate because they're characteristics are so awesome but Sakurai dont like to over rep his series but I dont see why not you might it well break the rules in ultimate make smash 5 your last game I dont understand that listen to your heart. But the reason why choice Medusa over Hades because she has a big role as villain in Uprising, it will be inserting to have a female villain, and shes has way more appearance than Hades. Emily Rogers did confirm KI is getting a another character. Oh wait I got an idea just imagine we have a Hades trailer and also Medusa is a echo fighter man I can see it now just like Lucina and Robin trailer plus I want to see more villains like Ridley.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
I want Medusa over Hades, too, but I'm saying that Medusa as an echo fighter is nonsense. She should be her own character, not a clone. She has nothing that makes her identical to Palutena or any other character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I want Medusa over Hades, too, but I'm saying that Medusa as an echo fighter is nonsense. She should be her own character, not a clone. She has nothing that makes her identical to Palutena or any other character.
Tall woman in Ancient Greek dress with a staff. Sounds a lot like Palutena to me.

I can see a few things that would make her being an echo character tricky but to say they have nothing in common is silly. They're counterparts of light and darkness, they're similar by design. (at least in KI: Uprising, the NES manual art is another kettle of Goldeen.)

Scipion3

Smash Cadet
Well I guess they could have similar gameplay based on projectiles and moveset but at the same time, they are completely different.
But if Sakurai really want to have a KI newcomer I'm afraid he will choose someone that he liked more or is more popular like I don't know, Phosphora.
The only advantage that Medusa have over the others possible KI newcomers is that she was here in the first game alongside Pit and Palutena and could be the first female antagonist in Smash Bros

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
That didn't help Ganondorf, as everyone knows. Nonetheless, in KI lore, Medusa is Palutena's dark counterpart. And it's probable that she does have roughly the same powers that Palutena does, particularly since Viridi can use all of those same powers for Pit even though she has less in common with Palutena than Medusa does.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Its like the same argument like Dixie Kong appearing as a echo fighter I like what that make no sense she got move sets in her game to will make her so unique from Diddy Kong and youre right about Medusa as a echo fighter it will be so cheap if Medusa is a Paultena Echo. I dont know that much about Medusa character sense I never play KIU I just know the names of the characters but Medusa could turn people into stone thats one of the main reasons why I want Medusa in smash ultimate to be honest thats the only reasons.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Took the words right out of my hands.
I'm seeing more support for Echo fighters than regular ones.
Did I miss something? Did Sakurai say that the few Newcomers would be Echo fighters only? Cause I don't recall that.

In any case, Medusa is nowhere near echo material. It just wouldnt feel right. Sakurai went out of his way to declone Ganondorf even more, so it's highly unlikely that another somilar situation would occur.
And yet sakurai went out of his way to change or add moves to almost every character besides the echoes. He deliberately left them as clones.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Hey, maybe it's time to make a comeback à la Medusa! (I'm not taking 25 years though). I'm glad to see that there's still support for our beloved Gorgon-inspired goddess! And thank you a lot WhiteEaglePL for reusing my previous thread, I love the changes as well.

Now, about Medusa's chances for Ultimate... I'll admit that I think it's low. The number of newcomers will be limited this time afterall. This and the already overwhelming content in Smash 4 and probably Ultimate (I'm glad to see that we will get the Reset Bomb Forest in HD!). Kid Icarus also didn't get any new content since Smash 4.

On the other hand, three things can save her: importance, originality and the good old Sakurai bias. Originality is the most important in my opinion. We can see that since Smash 4, especially the DLCs, Sakurai is looking for characters that can bring things new to the table. Ryu, Bayonetta, and most importantly Corrin, that was added despite the "too much Fire Emblem" problem. Inklings and Ridley stay true to this as well, although it's also a matter of popularity. Medusa still have a lot to become a unique fighter in many ways.

Now I hope that Sakurai still love his "role" thing from Brawl's GDC 2008 presentation. I believe that these still exist for the new characters (Ridley being way more monstruous than any other fighter for example), so having Medusa as the female villain is still a plus.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I'm planning on getting Kid Icarus: Uprising for my 3DS. Yeah, surprise! I've never played Kid Icarus before! I support!

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I'm planning on getting Kid Icarus: Uprising for my 3DS. Yeah, surprise! I've never played Kid Icarus before! I support!
It's the best game on the 3DS. You won't regret it as long as you get a hang of the controls.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
It's the best game on the 3DS. You won't regret it as long as you get a hang of the controls.
Well, I don't really have the Circle Pad Pro. But, (I don't know if this is true) I heard that you have to have the Circle Pad Pro to play it. Can I play it without it?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, I don't really have the Circle Pad Pro. But, (I don't know if this is true) I heard that you have to have the Circle Pad Pro to play it. Can I play it without it?
You can play without it. (Not even sure it got circle pad pro functionality) May take some time to adjust but the difficulty works like Smash in that it's only as hard as you make it.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Don't worry about the controls, I have beaten the game without the circle pad pro (I forgot it even exist) and as a leftie.

Top Bottom