• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Nintendo Of America 2014 Qualifier - Plano, TX Discussion

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
A qualifier will be held at the GameStop in the c/o Barnes & Noble at 2201 Preston Rd., Suite E in Plano, TX 75093. Please discuss all information regarding planning and attendance as well as results once the event occurs here.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Confirmed to attending this. however, what is a safe time to get there? I have no idea when they plan to start or when the 64 man bracket will reach a cap.

sidbbq

Smash Rookie
I've been lurking for a while now, time to post.

I'm going to this, it's about an hour away from me. It'll be the first Smash tourney for me. So, I'm definitely a bit nervous. I'll be the guy with brown hair and glasses if you feel like saying hello.

Confirmed to attending this. however, what is a safe time to get there? I have no idea when they plan to start or when the 64 man bracket will reach a cap.
To answer your questions, it is scheduled to start at 11:00 local time. It also says that "Entrants may begin lining up for the Local Tournaments no earlier than 9:00am local time (or such later time as the applicable mall or shopping center opens)." Personally, I'm going to grab my place in line ASAP, as I have no idea how many people to expect. But, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

~Good luck to all, hope we can meet~

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I've been lurking for a while now, time to post.

I'm going to this, it's about an hour away from me. It'll be the first Smash tourney for me. So, I'm definitely a bit nervous. I'll be the guy with brown hair and glasses if you feel like saying hello.

To answer your questions, it is scheduled to start at 11:00 local time. It also says that "Entrants may begin lining up for the Local Tournaments no earlier than 9:00am local time (or such later time as the applicable mall or shopping center opens)." Personally, I'm going to grab my place in line ASAP, as I have know idea how many people to expect. But, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

~Good luck to all, hope we can meet~
Thanks. I will probably get there early for safe measure. Kind of like a tailgate.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Dude, I'm stoked. I live about 8 minutes away from this location. I was scrolling down the list, and saw Houston, thought "****....none in Dallas." Then saw Plano and got really excited.

Not sure what time I'm going to be there. Can't line up before 9:00 AM? I don't know how they're going to police that...

Plazmatic

Smash Rookie
NNID
PlazmaticTv
This venue is literally 3 mins from my house! Im definitely going to be there and save my spot in line. I dont know how I feel about the Time rules + items, as it doesnt really show the players skill, but it should be a blast nonetheless. Especially if I win and get a all expenses paid trip to NY.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to be attending this!

On a related note, I called this Game Stop earlier tonight and talked with the manager there about bringing in our own Melee and Project M SetUps and playing throughout the day when we aren't playing Smash 4 and he said it was fine as long as there are spare outlets. I'll be bringing my cube and possibly my Wii along with one or two CRTs. I hope some others do the same.

Now that we have the okay on bringing in our own stuff I suggest people who are iffy about coming to the tournament come anyway and play some Melee or PM with locals. Bring a GameCube controller if you have one. You should never leave home without it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAVMAN42

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2852-7627-2093
Since I don't have a car, it would take me two hours to get there. sigh
Still might go though, add my friend code!

D

Deleted member

I'm going to be attending this!

On a related note, I called this Game Stop earlier tonight and talked with the manager there about bringing in our own Melee and Project M SetUps and playing throughout the day when we aren't playing Smash 4 and he said it was fine as long as there are spare outlets. I'll be bringing my cube and possibly my Wii along with one or two CRTs. I hope some others do the same.

Now that we have the okay on bringing in our own stuff I suggest people who are iffy about coming to the tournament come anyway and play some Melee or PM with locals. Bring a GameCube controller if you have one. You should never leave home without it.
This must be like a huge ****ing GameStop lol

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
I have a question for those of you with tourny exp how long do they take usually?

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
It all depends really.

The ones I attend usually go on from 4-12 hours.
Dang it :/ this is saddening because while i don't assume ill make it very far (Not because i doubt myself but new game and i was never competitive in the old ones) if i did make it far in the tourny even at the shortest it could be i would still need to leave :/ which really stinks.

Paralyziz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Paralyziz
3DS FC
2921-9945-1039
Might attend this one. This marks the first time I get into competitive play. Probably gonna get destroyed but hey, I'll have fun. Hopefully I'll see you guys there xD

sidbbq

Smash Rookie
Well, this was disappointing.

I got there at 9:00 like the rules said, and there's probably over 100 people in line. So, I got in line and played some folks nearby (If anyone here's name on the 3DS is 'Big_____', who I remember had an Obama Mii Brawler, and someone named 'Bubbles', I was the Bowser that was playing against you.)

2 Hours later, they announce they had all 64 participants, and I left.

So much for the rules.

Paralyziz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Paralyziz
3DS FC
2921-9945-1039
Hmm, glad I didn't even show up. I can't imagine how terrible it was in all 15 locations...

Gyov4nn

Smash Apprentice
I went pretty early to this (got there at 7-ish) and it was around 8 the line started to get pretty big. The main problem was of course some participants getting there early and being skipped, especially around the end of the line (Denti and people in general were arguing with the hosts about their placement, according to my friend).

Yeah, the organization was very bad...

Top Bottom