• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Nintendo Of America 2014 Qualifier - Ellicott City, MD Discussion

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
A qualifier will be held at the GameStop in the St. John’s Plaza at 9150 Baltimore National Pike, Suite 16 in Ellicott City, MD 21042. Please discuss all information regarding planning and attendance as well as results once the event occurs here.

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
I'm definitely going. This thing is right down my street (I mean literally, I just biked there the other day). For me this is a chance of a lifetime... but I'm a mere rookie, with only one week to train.

Is anyone else going? I'm surprised of the lack of comments, for this is the closest tourney I believe in the DC area

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I want to go but i dunno if I wanna make the forty minute drive and end up being too late to enter.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I asked my dad if we could camp out overnight since we live in NOVA. I'm just hoping a bunch of pros don't show up and whoop my ass lol

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
I live maybe 10 minutes away, and I REALLY hope there isn't over 64 people 4 hours before opening. All I know is I will have to REALLY wake up early to even have a CHANCE. This is supposedly the only GameStop on the East Coast that is holding the event, after all. I can guarantee VGBootCamp will be here, too. And if any of their staff are participating, they will win due to their experience with the Japanese release.
Hell, anyone with the Japanese copy will win due to the experience, and that's not fair for the rest of us.

Last edited:

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
In the official rules it says no one can line up before 9am. I am going to be there at 9am with the printed rules in hand and expect to be able to enter.

The way I see it everyone is first in line whoever is there at 9am. I wonder how they will handle this when more than 64 show up before 9am but thats the official rules so yea.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I grew up in ellicott city. I'm going to win. Sorry guys.

Edit: Nevermind, won't be able to attend on this day because of KTAR X looool. Good luck!
:018:

Last edited:

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
In the official rules it says no one can line up before 9am. I am going to be there at 9am with the printed rules in hand and expect to be able to enter.

The way I see it everyone is first in line whoever is there at 9am. I wonder how they will handle this when more than 64 show up before 9am but that's the official rules so yea.
I still see people wandering around the plaza hours early.
But if people really do abide to that requirement I can arrive an hour early and see what's going on.

Last edited:

HyPeriDot

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1306-5172-7012
Gotta go there.. I'll walk around the Mars nearby until it starts. Maybe I could buy donuts there too.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
It's a bit of a haul, but what the hell. This kind of tournament doesn't come around very often. Count me in. Wish they had some way to project the matches for everyone to see. There will definitely be hype.

beetlebomber

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0662-3406-7424
I grew up in Ellicott City. I may make a short trip back for this tournament.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
gaaaaaah, not only 2 and a half hours away, but so short notice I can't take off work ;_;

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
For those of you familiar with the area, having grown up there or otherwise, is it a suburban area? Or is it more industrial? Because I've never heard of this place.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Can we try and set up an unofficial tourney aside this official one? Might be pretty fun, if there will be over 64 people. Maybe even just friendlies.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'll be down for friendlies. Maybe a team tournament? It would be exciting to pair up with players you don't know.

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
Okay, I went to gamestop today (its just a few minutes down my street), and they gave me this info concerning the Tourney

*EDIT* The guy didn't know what he was talking about and didn't speak to the Nintendo Rep. He was basically making this off the top of his head.

Anyways this is what he told me

• People can wait outside whenever they want to (Can't be 100% sure of this, but I'm still gonna be there by 6:00 anyways)
  • Don't camp out all night (there is no room anyways...)
  • Signups start at 10:00 AM
  • People are calling out of state for this
  • Minors (age 13- 17) are required to bring a parent to sign
  • And it may be required to bring your own 3ds and a copy of smash. They said you might need to
  • The tourney is expected to last 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Also
Some other advice
  • Sweetfrog is right next door
  • Donuts at Mars are only 1 buck for an 8 pack in case you get hungry
  • Mars is just 5 stores down the plaza
  • (BTW Mars is a grocery store)
  • The plaza is pretty big and you could do anything you want... (But police constantly monitor it)
  • Don't waste your charge on your 3ds. You have about 5 - 10 hours you need it to last
  • The Plaza has a Supermarket-sized parking lot. Its easy to get a space.
  • I don't believe there are any outside-outlets for charging your 3ds

Last edited:

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
For those of you familiar with the area, having grown up there or otherwise, is it a suburban area? Or is it more industrial? Because I've never heard of this place.
Oh and this is a suburban area. I was surprised it was even held here, it has only a small looking gamestop.
Some parts are developing, some parts are falling apart. There is a big section of Korean shops, but I know little about them.

Its easy to miss the Gamestop when driving by, its part of huge line of stores in the plaza, all very close to each other.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Oh and this is a suburban area. I was surprised it was even held here, it has only a small looking gamestop.
Some parts are developing, some parts are falling apart. There is a big section of Korean shops, but I know little about them.

Its easy to miss the Gamestop when driving by, its part of huge line of stores in the plaza, all very close to each other.
BUT DAT BARE BONES DOE

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I don't think it's necessary to be there at 6AM. The rules clearly state you can't even line up until 9AM.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
I don't think it's necessary to be there at 6AM. The rules clearly state you can't even line up until 9AM.
The general rules say that. But not every location will abide by that 100%. Maybe the store has different policies.

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
It's not a gamestop tournament. It's a Nintendo tournament. There will be a representative from Nintendo at each location enforcing the rules.
I'm not sure how thoroughly they will be able to enforce that...
But who said I can't line up for the SweetFrog to open a foot away, then jump in at 9 :3

There is literally an outside lounge chair right next to the Gamestop, provided by SweetFrog.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I really don't think it'll matter. Put it to you this way: if there are 64 people there waiting to enter at 9AM, you won't have to wait long for another chance to compete because I'm gonna start running FFA tournaments. That is a business opportunity.

And I will fight you for the lounge chair. You know how we'll settle it.

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
They have to enforce the 9am rule. It is a rule.

We might as well play on any stage we want, with any character we want, with any customizations we want if were not following rules.

They will have their hands full I am sure and people will leave unhappy and unable to play but I guarantee the people playing won't just be the people who line up before you are allowed.

**** I think they may have a 128 man round and cut it to the 64 they need. Adding a extra round seems to be the easiest way to appease all the people IF they broke the rules at all.

Last edited:

Delphinus

Smash Rookie
NNID
DelphinusV
3DS FC
2595-0710-4989
Considering I don't currently have a car, I couldn't believe my luck with this location being only 8 miles away from me, and right down the street from a friend of mine. We're going, and also, I wouldn't say that people that had the Japanese copy are sure to win, sure they have an advantage, but in 4 player FFAs with all items on, there is going to be a significant luck component with the item drops.

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
I'm hoping to show up! I'm hoping for a lot of things, but I look forward to playing with people after I am inevitably eliminated in round one yet again.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Considering I don't currently have a car, I couldn't believe my luck with this location being only 8 miles away from me, and right down the street from a friend of mine. We're going, and also, I wouldn't say that people that had the Japanese copy are sure to win, sure they have an advantage, but in 4 player FFAs with all items on, there is going to be a significant luck component with the item drops.
Not just that, but if the group plays smart and doesn't let any one player get too far ahead, we could have some very exciting matches. I'm more worried about my own ability to close out KOs than I am about luck or players with a japanese copy, and that's how it should be.

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
I am surprised Most Gamestops won't know a single bit about the tournament until tomorrow.
The Nintendo reps are being dispatched sorta late in the week, you know. 3 days till the tourney.

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
I don't know about you guys, but since I might come at what, 5 AM? I'm gonna need something other than my 3ds to play in order to save battery.

I'm bringing my pokemon cards in the meantime

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'm barely going to manage to get up by 7. Temptation to smash all night so strong...

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
For those of you going there, good luck guys! Hope I get a spot. If not, well, that means there's an overflow and I'm sure those of us extra will have plenty of people to play with.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
They have to enforce the 9am rule. It is a rule.

We might as well play on any stage we want, with any character we want, with any customizations we want if were not following rules.

They will have their hands full I am sure and people will leave unhappy and unable to play but I guarantee the people playing won't just be the people who line up before you are allowed.

**** I think they may have a 128 man round and cut it to the 64 they need. Adding a extra round seems to be the easiest way to appease all the people IF they broke the rules at all.
So it's 9:47 EST. I'm in line, and there is no way this isn't at least 120+ and I got here at 9:10 I overheard some guys saying that people not only got here before 6 AM, but camped out in front of the store *sigh* so I'm hopeful that they kick everyone who got here before 9

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
So it's 9:47 EST. I'm in line, and there is no way this isn't at least 120+ and I got here at 9:10 I overheard some guys saying that people not only got here before 6 AM, but camped out in front of the store *sigh* so I'm hopeful that they kick everyone who got here before 9
Apparently not.

EDIT: I just won my first match, I was the Bowser.

Last edited:
Top Bottom