• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Q's I have: How to: deal w/ losing, lack of motivation, picking up a new character, get in the zone

SlickJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlickJ95
Hey guys recently I have been doing doubles money matches online and only high skilled players do these and I have lost $30 total. I pay if we lose and I share the prize if we win. I decided to quit doing that at least for a while.

About me:
Throughout playing Smash Bros. I have always been a casual as I mostly play Smash Bros. just for fun. I attend locals about once per month. I picked up Mario because I needed to find a main when I picked up Brawl and I started with Mario since he was the first character in the slots and I thought he was a lot of fun and he fit my preference for what I wanted in a character perfectly. Maining Mario carried over to Smash 4 and I picked up Villager as a secondary because he's a lot of fun to me too.

If I can I want to drop one of my mains and invest more time learning a top tier character like Cloud, Sheik, Sonic or Bayonetta (most likely Bayonetta).

I like to use Mario aggressively and I like to mash buttons play fast and repeat the same moves with a bit of variations (so basically I'm condition my opponent and then slowly switching it up).

I also want to pick a pocket character that is pain to go against like Olimar (I hate Olimar though :p), or Rosalina.

The goal
TLDR: To be better.

I just want a little taste of what it's like to not necessarily be good but be better, I don't expect to take any tournaments even at my locals let alone majors like EVO but I want:

- To be able to break even on the money matches I have lost ($30).
- To not lose 0-2 in online tournaments I join (even if I start going 1-2 it's still improvement)
- To learn a new character besides my two mains (Mario and Villager).
- To gain motivation to play more and become more competitive.
---------------------------------------
My problem (laziness/lack of motivation)
To start with I don't have much motivation to play Smash Bros., I'm kind a chill person but I'm sometimes too lazy to even turn on my Wii U and even more so too lazy to want to grind Smash and when I do I'm more tempted to hop on For Glory even though I know it wont be as challenging as going on Discord or Anther's Ladder (a lot of time it wont be as fun either).

If I do choose to play on Anther's or on Discord (or do the money matches) and I lose I start to feel discouraged.

Should I play Smash even when I don't feel like it? Is that what pros do?

Question: How do I deal with losing? How do the pros do it?
How do I deal with losing? How do the pros do it? How does someone like ZeRo lose something like 2GG: Civil War but then later get back on and grind it out and beat everyone?

How does he sometimes have family issues or issues going on in the background but he takes the win at a major? Surely he's not the only one to have stuff going on in the background and do well.
Question: How do I learn a new character?
Whenever I am trying to learn a new character I also get discouraged because I don't know who to pick and how to learn new characters. I will hop on For Glory and start getting bodied and it's very tempting to go Mario and the beat the crap of everyone because it's a lot easier, it's like going Super Saiyan.

I know there's resources I just have to remind myself to watch YouTube guides, I should lab and learn the movesets and combos.

More questions: (see below)
Is there certain things you guys do when learning new characters? Do you guys go straight to labbing when learning new characters? How long are your labbing sessions?

What are some methods for getting "in the zone"?
Besides practice there must be some sort of rituals players do to get in the zone. I think some pray, some talk to their girl friend or something, some meditate, some drink energy drinks (or probably smoke or drink or take something to get energized or become calm), some listen to music and set up playlists to tune out the outside noise.

It's kind of rare but sometimes it's like the stars align and it feels like I can beat anyone and all of a sudden my combos are connecting, there's a lot of fluidity and effortless connections between being able to know when to wait, shield, be patient, punish and follow up, but I don't know why it happens but its called being in the zone and I don't know how to achieve that because I don't know what I did prior to achieving that higher state of mind I was able to reach. Surely there's more ways then one to reach that higher state of mind.

How do you get in the zone?

D

Deleted member

First of all, check out The Art of Mario on Izawsmashes youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svxOvA88C9s

Second: Confidence. Never give up. Even if you lose, keep pushing. Mario is a fairly good character, as well as balanced. Good speed, strength, combo game etc. However, in my opinion, struggles with sword characters due to his short range attacks. With that in mind, be a bit more deffensive with those.

Three: For me, relaxing, giving the game a break and drinking some coffee helps me focus. So maybe something like that might help you.

Four and lastly: As far as being lazy, well I cant help you there...

Last edited by a moderator:

SlickJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlickJ95
Tips someone had from Discord
Someone had joined my Discord and wanted to respond to this thread in there instead of here which is fine. I am reposting this in here so I can look back on it when coming back to this thread.

Please feel free to keep responding to this thread I will be reading and considering all your suggestions.
This is paraphrased:

"1. I only play Smash when I want to in order to keep Smash a positive experience. Sometimes I will play when I don't want to but that usually results in not-so-great gameplay.

2. Losing sucks, but you should contemplate what you could have done better and not think "I suck" but rather "how can I trip up my opponent's rhythm or pattern?".

3. When learning a new character I go on For Glory and pick that new character. Usually I choose characters because I was inspired and impressed by other players who use said characters and I wanted to emulate a similar feeling with my playstyle, so I just select the character and go for broke.

Yes you will get obliterated a lot of times [SlickJ's notes: keep playing, lose 50 g**d**m times if you have to!] and losing sucks because you can't handle that character (yet) but by sticking to that character throughout the entire session and not switching, it lets you learn the uniqueness of that character and what kinds of combos he or she can create.

4. Taking a quick breather after each match helps me refocus on what I want to accomplish for the next match. I also check the time after every match. I supposed you could say it's a ritual I have."

- Ecila#4081 (on Discord)

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Probably a little late to respond but I'll throw in my two cents and hopefully try not to repeat what may have already been said...

Losing does suck, but it's not the end of the world. Instead of seeing it as a loss take it as experience. Someone is always going to be better than you no matter what it is. Smash, cooking, drawing, whatever. Many people (even myself) end up comparing themselves to others without seeing the big picture at times. People are as good as they are because they put hard work into their character and the game itself. Everyone wants to get good as fast as possible and then they get frustrated cause they rush it.

They lose to someone and will most likely say "I hate how I put so many hours into the game and still don't get anywhere!" or something like that. It just takes a lot of time and dedication, and some people end up getting poisonous mindsets when they focus on improving too much. Smash is just a game, after all. It's alright to want results but you should focus on having fun more.

It's not going to be fun if you hate yourself for not getting the results you want. Don't try to rush or force it. Ever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Learning a new character just takes time and dedication. As for who to pick... Well, that's always the hardest part. Maybe you want someone who plays similarly to the characters you already know. Maybe you want someone who can cover the weaknesses of someone you already main. Hell, maybe you want someone you feel a bit of attachment to whether its for nostalgia or whatever.

It's always hard to decide, but one thing that might help is asking yourself why you want someone new.

Is it because you want better results? A character to help with certain match-ups? Just got bored of your current main(s)...?

It truly depends on what you're after in the end. If you're playing for fun then obviously just pick whoever feels fun and right to you regardless of their tier status. If you actually want to do well in tournaments and everything else consider the higher tiers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting into the zone... I'm honestly not too sure how to answer this one.

It could really just rely on your mood. If you're tired, stressed, or something else it could probably be hard to slip into that certain mood when you play really well. A lot of folks just end up playing inconsistently no matter their mood. Everyone works a bit differently and has their own methods, but if you aren't feeling it that day then you just aren't feeling it. Don't force the mood.

I will say for me, it helps to Smash against someone I truly enjoy smashing against who I can legit have fun with. Of course, they also have to be really challenging. I found I take people on Discord more seriously than I do on For Glory for some odd reason.

I'm not sandbagging on purpose, and I still try as much as I would with anyone else; however if I were to ever save a replay of a For Glory match and watch it I notice how much sloppier I am compared to going against a friend or someone on Discord. It could just be a sub-conscious thing. I never do it on purpose and treat everyone with respect. It just... Sort of happens that way really.

You could always observe how you're feeling when you're playing really well and see if that helps.

I'm really sorry for this long ass post. My posts always seem to get pretty long. I did try to break it up into sections to make it a bit easier to read. Still kinda long, but should be easier on the eyes I hope. And hopefully what I said has helped in some way or form.

Sauced

Smash Rookie
Hey guys recently I have been doing doubles money matches online and only high skilled players do these and I have lost $30 total. I pay if we lose and I share the prize if we win. I decided to quit doing that at least for a while.

About me:
Throughout playing Smash Bros. I have always been a casual as I mostly play Smash Bros. just for fun. I attend locals about once per month. I picked up Mario because I needed to find a main when I picked up Brawl and I started with Mario since he was the first character in the slots and I thought he was a lot of fun and he fit my preference for what I wanted in a character perfectly. Maining Mario carried over to Smash 4 and I picked up Villager as a secondary because he's a lot of fun to me too.

If I can I want to drop one of my mains and invest more time learning a top tier character like Cloud, Sheik, Sonic or Bayonetta (most likely Bayonetta).

I like to use Mario aggressively and I like to mash buttons play fast and repeat the same moves with a bit of variations (so basically I'm condition my opponent and then slowly switching it up).

I also want to pick a pocket character that is pain to go against like Olimar (I hate Olimar though :p), or Rosalina.

The goal
TLDR: To be better.

I just want a little taste of what it's like to not necessarily be good but be better, I don't expect to take any tournaments even at my locals let alone majors like EVO but I want:

- To be able to break even on the money matches I have lost ($30).
- To not lose 0-2 in online tournaments I join (even if I start going 1-2 it's still improvement)
- To learn a new character besides my two mains (Mario and Villager).
- To gain motivation to play more and become more competitive.
My problem (laziness/lack of motivation)
To start with I don't have much motivation to play Smash Bros., I'm kind a chill person but I'm sometimes too lazy to even turn on my Wii U and even more so too lazy to want to grind Smash and when I do I'm more tempted to hop on For Glory even though I know it wont be as challenging as going on Discord or Anther's Ladder (a lot of time it wont be as fun either).

If I do choose to play on Anther's or on Discord (or do the money matches) and I lose I start to feel discouraged.

Should I play Smash even when I don't feel like it? Is that what pros do?

Question: How do I deal with losing? How do the pros do it?
How do I deal with losing? How do the pros do it? How does someone like ZeRo lose something like 2GG: Civil War but then later get back on and grind it out and beat everyone?

How does he sometimes have family issues or issues going on in the background but he takes the win at a major? Surely he's not the only one to have stuff going on in the background and do well.
Question: How do I learn a new character?
Whenever I am trying to learn a new character I also get discouraged because I don't know who to pick and how to learn new characters. I will hop on For Glory and start getting bodied and it's very tempting to go Mario and the beat the crap of everyone because it's a lot easier, it's like going Super Saiyan.

I know there's resources I just have to remind myself to watch YouTube guides, I should lab and learn the movesets and combos.

More questions: (see below)
Is there certain things you guys do when learning new characters? Do you guys go straight to labbing when learning new characters? How long are your labbing sessions?

What are some methods for getting "in the zone"?
Besides practice there must be some sort of rituals players do to get in the zone. I think some pray, some talk to their girl friend or something, some meditate, some drink energy drinks (or probably smoke or drink or take something to get energized or become calm), some listen to music and set up playlists to tune out the outside noise.

It's kind of rare but sometimes it's like the stars align and it feels like I can beat anyone and all of a sudden my combos are connecting, there's a lot of fluidity and effortless connections between being able to know when to wait, shield, be patient, punish and follow up, but I don't know why it happens but its called being in the zone and I don't know how to achieve that because I don't know what I did prior to achieving that higher state of mind I was able to reach. Surely there's more ways then one to reach that higher state of mind.

How do you get in the zone?
I say just play random until you find a character you are comfortable with. That's how I found Captain Falcon :p

Top Bottom