• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official [QLD] Tournament & General Thread: Next Event - UQ Smash 15 - 19/12/15

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Going to run Swiss singles to start (5 rounds), with the intention to lead into top 8 bracket.
Other events, Doubles/Crews will follow depending on time constraints.

We should put a tv in the couched area for friendlys then assign only tournament matches to the other tv's a long the wall. People really need to take initiative in getting their matches done cause unlike a bracket we cant move on to later matches until all the matches in the round are completed.

Last edited:

Sloth

Smash Ace
I'm starting to question if top 8 is best for the player base. - look at who is attending
1. (Maybe Zak)
2. Spup
3. JBirds
4. Sloth
5. Haikul ?
6. AussieRob
7. Cal
8. Trist
9. Radience
10+ Tranq/Phrase etc.. Ryan?

Pretty stacked. I am wondering if 5 rounds is truly enough to justify push straight to top 8 because as you mentioned a while back some top players may miss the 8 cut off. I thought it wouldn't be too bad prior to Zak and Cal coming.

Naturally it's going to come down to time and time is the ultimate winner. But it's just a thought to keep in mind. Maybe 5 rounds and top 16? Or more rounds and a top 8. Will be your call on the day Jbirds :)

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Just see after 4-5ish rounds how ur going for time and then decide on a top 8 or 16 or going more rounds, would take about 1-2 hours for top 8 and about 4hrs for 16 man brackets with 6-7 t.vs.

Also the old man crew needs to be thinned, having yourself, aaron and rob on the same team is a bit stacked. One of the 3 will have to be moved to another crew.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Play it by ear
If we have the time, there is no reason not to do a bigger bracket.
Keep it mind swiss will have several of those top 10-12 players versing each other throughout which hopefully will create a fair representation of the 8 best on the day.
Haikal and Phrase will be at BAM.

GeeMon

Smash Rookie
Looking forward to the event. Going to bring the noise and a bit of the ruckus.

Krayon

Smash Rookie
Results.

Brawl No Metaknight
1st ****ashi (+4/-0) [Samus / Ice Climbers]
2nd Archaze (+3/-2) [King Dedede / Luigi]
3rd Toki (+3/-2) [Random]
4th Vyse (+2/-2) [Diddy Kong / King Dedede]
5th Dylan (Kai) (+2/-2) [Toon Link / Sheik / Mario]
5th Prya (+2/-2) [Marth / Peach]
7th Sam (+0/-2) [Toon Link]
7th Sophia (+0/-2) [Sheik]
9th William (+0/-2) [Marth / Pokémon Trainer]

Project M
1st Gerard (Smoking Puppy) (+4/-0)
2nd Jbirds (+5/-2)
3rd Cal (+3/-2)
4th Toki (+4/-2)
5th P1 (+2/-2)
5th Mesey (+3/-2)
7th Mytus (+2/-2)
7th Sloth (+2/-2)
9th Vyse (+1/-2)
9th ****ashi (+1/-2)
9th G$ (+1/-2)
9th Dylan (Kai) (+0/-2)
13th Tranq (+0/-2)
13th Nonco (+0/-2)
13th Archaze (+0/-2)

Melee to come

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Playing against zac so early sucks lol. I have to concentrate so hard in those matches and then I get fatigued by the end of the set and start dash attacking all day.

Good tourney guys. I gotta get better, thinking of actually getting a CRT so I can start practicing tech skill and stuff.

Last edited:

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
It's not a john because even if I was playing my best I would have lost to your falco lol my combos on spacies sucked all day.

Edit: and if you were playing your best it would have been even worse lol.

Last edited:

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Melee Singles bracket
1. Syke
2. Smoking Puppy
3. CaLiBuR_1337
4. Sloth
5. JBirds
5. Aussierob123
7. Vyse
7. Mytus

Melee Swiss: http://challonge.com/PlayWarehouse3

8. Toki
9. Dino
10. Suvan
11. Tranq
12. DJ Cat
13. Crashoveride
14. Neon
15. G$
16. Jimbo
17. Calthatch
18. Pria
19. Jackson
20. Dogman

Melee Doubles bracket ~ this might not be accurate the bracket wasnt filled in so i took a guess, lemme know if its wrong.

1. Blip Blip Click Clack - JBirds Smopup
2. Zac is swolen - Syke Sloth
3. Dream eater - Cal Vyse
4. Rude **** - Bob Dino
5. Yolo solo - Tranq cpu
5. Kaion Matt
7. **** you up - Jackson Jeremy
7. G$ Toki
9. Calthatch Dogman

Its hard to TO and play well =/
GGs to all
I apologize about the amateur bracket, i just didnt see it realistically ending if we redid it after the crash.
Hopefully doubles sufficed and im sure everyone got a bunch of friendlys
Thoughts on Swiss?
Good to see some new people, hopefully you guys stick around and come to more stuff. Keep up to date here and on the facebook group.

Last edited:

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
I like the Swiss system for a tournament. I just think it's a bit strange the way some games end up. For example, if I didn't get lucky and play a scrubby drugged up zac and win that set , I also lost to jbirds and cal, which would have left me 2-3 and put me in the amateur bracket. While Losing to zac cal and jbirds is not a suprise as I'm not as good as you guys, i think I still should be in the upper bracket, no offense to the guys in the am bracket.

Last edited:

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
lol James if you thought that was hard, try running 6 rounds of swiss with 40 peeps, doing a top 8 that has kas, tristan, cao, aaron and bryce... and coming 2nd. 2007 skilz all over yo fayse

Couple people had auto losses 1st round cause they were late as well which messed swiss seeding up a little (lol jeremy), and yer me being a bit spaced and losing to rob threw things off even more.. my shiek was maaad loose all day lol. But if we'd done it to like 7 or 8 rounds it would have been fine. Having aaron, woodley, tristan, haikal and ryan would have made it much better. Lol at antho sneakin into top 8 teehee.

and yer doubles was hilarious, my bad Bryce for od'ing on things I was only meant to take at breakfast and dinner and instead took after lunch. I was worst in those first couple rounds of swiss cause I just taken my meds with brekky and then again just after lunch and just went on a slow spiral downwards. Had to concentrate so hard against Gerard, he probs would have beaten me if he went falcon, brain just wasn't able to read today lol.

Oh he did go falcon in doubles and you guys won like 3 straight matches XD, probs would have lost 3-0 in grand finals as well if we'd done it haha. Literally felt like I would go in, just lose sight of everything and then when I realised where I was... I was respawning.

That qld choking tho.. gawd damn you guys lose your nerve quick, many odd decisions spotted throughout the day.

James ima have to teach you how to deekay son.

Overall fun day of fun, thanks for comin down Rob and thanks for breaking my controller, the board was clean snapped in the middle XD. It's k I got spares.

Oh and crash I think I have your extra black controller so pm or something and we'll try sort it out.

For future I think swiss is good but make sure EVERYONE is there and if it looks like the top 8 or whatever isn't real solid, do another round or 2, which we probs had time for.

TEAC!!!!

Last edited:

Dino63

Smash Journeyman
Hey TO-birds, Bob and I got 4th in doubles, lost to cal and Vyse in the losers semi,

Swiss was good, plenty of matches to keep the kids happy, don't think the amateur bracket was necessary (having singles first gave the illusion of time) but it died anyways.

Keep doubles first, it's just works, It can be played while people are turning up and doesn't hold up the bracket because late people aren't been waited upon and people get a warm up, everyone wins.

A suggestion for the next tourney if Swiss is run.
Run doubles and as soon as the singles entrants are definite, start Swiss during doubles and the first round or 2 can be done during doubles for players in-between matches and players that are out of doubles and by lunch time, 2 rounds could be done. Swiss could also be done during the lunch break, obviously slowly but keeps the day rolling at a nicer pace.

Enough ideas and stuff, also good seeing the old Vyse and Toki, hoping they can come more often

......Done

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
If we went doubles and 6 rounds of swiss min for 20 players into top 8 bracket we could be done by 5 and then have a crew battle pretty easily.

p.s @ Remastered Remastered was the venue fee covered? If there's a surplus due to no prize pools it should be put into an equipment fund like a dedicated monitor+decent microphone for capturing or one of those hd cap devices.

Sloth

Smash Ace
Swiss rounds went fast. The TO's did a good job to keep everything going which was good.

I feel as though if we had melee only running fitting in 5+ rounds is easy. As they only took around 10-15mins each. PM slowed it down slightly but the TO's did well at running that with a 15 man-bracket (made up of at least 5-6 melee players too) while keeping an eye on melee. So it worked out well. Many thanks!

We did have some weird results.. I wonder - were people recording 2-1 or 1-2 results?

Falcon > Drugged Zac. Ice climbers in teams was super fun. Makes me want to pick them up as a character again. Or at least to troll people with wobbling.

I tried my best to run the AM Bracket since it sort of got forgotten once made. The feedback was great though. When I approached a lot of the new players they were excited to be able to play more. It's disappointing it crashed. But I feel that it's a great way to get a lot of the new players involved more. Something we should look into for future monthly style events.

One question we should poll on the facebook page for the next event.
If people had to pay an extra $5+ for melee singles would they still attend?
I know players who have put a lot of effort and time into the game would like to be rewarded for placing well.

Last edited:

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Where do you guys buy new controllers from? And does anybody know where my cube is / have a spare memory card / melee disc?

Also does anybody have like a 9inch CRT or something tiny.

Last edited:

Tranquility

<3 Yoshi
Swiss rounds went fast. The TO's did a good job to keep everything going which was good.

I feel as though if we had melee only running fitting in 5+ rounds is easy. As they only took around 10-15mins each. PM slowed it down slightly but the TO's did well at running that with a 15 man-bracket (made up of at least 5-6 melee players too) while keeping an eye on melee. So it worked out well. Many thanks!

We did have some weird results.. I wonder - were people recording 2-1 or 1-2 results?

Falcon > Drugged Zac. Ice climbers in teams was super fun. Makes me want to pick them up as a character again. Or at least to troll people with wobbling.

I tried my best to run the AM Bracket since it sort of got forgotten once made. The feedback was great though. When I approached a lot of the new players they were excited to be able to play more. It's disappointing it crashed. But I feel that it's a great way to get a lot of the new players involved more. Something we should look into for future monthly style events.

One question we should poll on the facebook page for the next event.
If people had to pay an extra $5+ for melee singles would they still attend?
I know players who have put a lot of effort and time into the game would like to be rewarded for placing well.
Is there some way to save the bracket after each change so if it crashes we don't lose everything? Seems like this happens a lot.

Last edited:

woodsta

Smash Apprentice
Man wish I could've gone to both Bam and this. Sounds like it was pretty awesome. BirdsPup doubles combo are u kidding me?

Gearing up for more friendlies with the Melbourne scene at day2 of bam, and then top 8. Melbourne skill level is ridiculous y'all. Going to get a bunch of signatures for the ACL document today.

See you guys soon!

smopup

Smash Journeyman
+1 to $5 entry for Melee singles.

Where do you guys buy new controllers from? And does anybody know where my cube is / have a spare memory card / melee disc?

Also does anybody have like a 9inch CRT or something tiny.
I just buy used controllers from eBay, provided there are some good pictures that suggest no notable wear and tear.

If you want a brand new controller, I think the best option is Play-Asia?

Last edited:

Mytus

Smash Apprentice
Man wish I could've gone to both Bam and this. Sounds like it was pretty awesome. BirdsPup doubles combo are u kidding me?

Gearing up for more friendlies with the Melbourne scene at day2 of bam, and then top 8. Melbourne skill level is ridiculous y'all. Going to get a bunch of signatures for the ACL document today.

See you guys soon!
Glad to hear you're having a blast. Also be sure to stress the importance of them posting in the ACL thread!

Remastered

Smash Lord
Venue fee is $10 per person at a minimum of $200. If $200 isn't reached, I make up the difference. Anything above $200 still goes to the owner. Works more like a cover charge. I've been spending my own money on extensions, cables, powerboards etc (hence my frantic ask around at the end of the event looking for the powerboards I bought to cover the extra set-ups for PM/Melee). I'll talk to the owner about using anything over the $200 to improve the tournaments, providing we guarantee an event once a month. They did originally ask what else we wanted, but haven't bought anything yet.

Edit: I brought microphones and headsets once, but apparently the software for the headset was messing up the audio on Phrases laptop. I can provide a designated machine for recording, including sound/video/stream, but it will be used for Smash 4 when it's released. I'd suggest someone from the melee community bring a PC and set it up. There are already monitors on site provided by the owner, so if someone brings a tower we are covered.

Edit 2: I also have a HD capture device, but it can only be used with HDMI or Component. Happy to provide it for melee if someone has a component set-up (if melee even runs on component, I'm not sure). Would also need to test the melee recording before the next event, so if someone has components, please let me know and we'll catch up before PW4. Letting everyone know though that this device will also be used for Smash 4 upon release.

(I've done a lot of prep for the new game)

Last edited:

Tranquility

<3 Yoshi
Venue fee is $10 per person at a minimum of $200. If $200 isn't reached, I make up the difference. Anything above $200 still goes to the owner. Works more like a cover charge. I've been spending my own money on extensions, cables, powerboards etc (hence my frantic ask around at the end of the event looking for the powerboards I bought to cover the extra set-ups for PM/Melee). I'll talk to the owner about using anything over the $200 to improve the tournaments, providing we guarantee an event once a month. They did originally ask what else we wanted, but haven't bought anything yet.

Edit: I brought microphones and headsets once, but apparently the software for the headset was messing up the audio on Phrases laptop. I can provide a designated machine for recording, including sound/video/stream, but it will be used for Smash 4 when it's released. I'd suggest someone from the melee community bring a PC and set it up. There are already monitors on site provided by the owner, so if someone brings a tower we are covered.

Edit 2: I also have a HD capture device, but it can only be used with HDMI or Component. Happy to provide it for melee if someone has a component set-up (if melee even runs on component, I'm not sure). Would also need to test the melee recording before the next event, so if someone has components, please let me know and we'll catch up before PW4. Letting everyone know though that this device will also be used for Smash 4 upon release.

(I've done a lot of prep for the new game)
If you only need the machine for when Smash 4 is out, I've been slowly building up parts from upgrading my comp so when I'm done I'll have one we can use for melee by then.

Mytus

Smash Apprentice
I was trialling a different laptop at PW3, hadn't quite ironed out all the kinks (hence the complete failure on my part.)

Should have it up and running by the next event!

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
I can have 2 recording set ups next event, both lappys. As for $5 entry I dont mind but only for like the top 8 bracket if doing swiss.. or even $10 lol.

@ Remastered Remastered next event I'll bring my cables/adapters around and try get a component wii-hdmi recording setup working and if it looks pretty good I'll look into getting my own equipment.

Remastered

Smash Lord
If you can get to the venue around 9 to set-up before doors open we can try it then.

The only reason I took the entry fee away was because PW was the only event with an entry fee. 'Bigger' events had no entry fee, so I followed suit. If you guys want it back, I'm happy to take money off you all and give it to Syke.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Yeah with a small venue fee like we have i don't think its that much of an inconvenience, additionally we actually have consistent numbers to support an amount that would actually be a minor motivator.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Another important thing we need to discuss is Lansmash is likely changing up their fighting game format as they have new plans to run bigger, purely lan based events. They have said they'll look at a new console based event for the fighting game community, but this may be a while away.

What does everyone thing about making PW our premier event for QLD? I will look into a major once a year for smash too. Not at PW, just due to size, but I think we could easily fit 50 people into PW if we wanted to run a major there.

Last edited:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
ggs to everyone on Saturday. Was good to make it to a smash tournament for once.

Gentlemen's rules, gotta play sets on pokefloats to gain knowledge for doubles later.

Tranquillity's Ganondorf too strong. Didn't want to BM with Sheik.

I got lucky sneaking into top 8. Going to have to level up to keep up with the new blood.

Sloth

Smash Ace
I would prefer at monthlies we have more people attend then have prize money. That is why a big part of it is would pot money stop some players turning up? At majors a pot is definitely something we need.

Is Lansmash going ahead with the changes from now on? Or will it be after Winter ?

I feel that PW would struggle with 35+ people (those chairs make me sad) - plus you'd want a major to be near to public transport access (ideally). Might be worth for a few of us to start looking around for possible event venues to run a huge major at in QLD. Smash only across a weekend!

Top Bottom