• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official [QLD] Tournament & General Thread: Next Event - UQ Smash 15 - 19/12/15

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
Welcome to the QLD Smash thread!
Look here first for your Queensland tournament & general smash information!

Queensland Facebook Groups
QLD Smash

Other Links
Youtube - Twitch - QLDSmash
Past Events - Players - Power Rankings

Next Event: UQ Smash 15
Steele Building (03), The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia 4072
19/12/2015

You do not have to be a UQ Student or Member to enter the event.
Venue: 329 Steele Building (03) (Normal Venue),

Timings of Events:​
09:00am - Venue opens.
09:15am - Registration opens.
09:45am - Wii U Doubles start
10:25am - Wii U Registation closes
10:30am - Wii U Pools start (All 8 pools)

11:00am - Melee Doubles start​
12:45pm - Melee Registation closes

12:45pm - Secret Santa Starts. (See Below for more info)​

01:00pm - Melee Pools Start. (Amature and Pro to follow)​

01:30pm - Wii U Amature Singles Start​
02:00pm - Wii U Pro Singles Start

04:45pm - Wii U Squads Registation Open (First 4 Squads Registered gets in)​
05:00pm - Wii U Squads Start

http://goo.gl/forms/KxvUGokncL

Pre-Registraions:​
https://goo.gl/3j0FSr

Rules:​
Melee:
http://tinyurl.com/UQMelee
Wii U:
http://tinyurl.com/UQSmashU.

SECRET SANTA.​
We are asking as many of you as possible to bring a wrapped Christmas Gift value between $5-$10AUD, everyone who brings a gift will be assinged a number and when your number is called out you will be allowed to go and get a Present from under the tree from one of your fellow gamers.
The gift can be anything, from a video game/s, humour to an amiibo and anything inbetween. I do ask if you plan on gifting any "adult toys" that you remember that underage people may be participating.

One final note, Please be Kind to Lachlan as he is getting his wisdom teeth removed 8 days prior to this event and will not be 100% recovered during the event.​

You can pay for your entry in advance via PayPal, details about that are located in the registration form.​

Aside from all this, hope to see many of you on the day.​

UQ Smash Exec.​

Future Event dates:​
UQ Smash 16 - Saturday January 23rd - https://www.facebook.com/events/1629483837276452/

UQ Market Day - Wednesday February 24th​

UQ Smash 17 - Saturday February 27th -​
https://www.facebook.com/events/1656229727948349/

UQ Smash 18 - March TBC (26th Proposed date)​
UQ Smash 19 - April TBC (23rd Proposed date)
UQ Smash 20 - May TBC (21st Proposed date)
UQ Smash 21 - June TBC (25th Proposed date)
UQ Smash Major - July TBC (9th and 10th Proposed dates)
UQ Smash 22 - August TBC (13th Proposed date)
UQ Smash 23 - September TBC (24th Proposed date)
UQ Smash 24 - October TBC (15th Proposed date)​

Upcoming Events
23/12/15 - Shine City 1 (Melee)
10/01/16 - UQ Smash 16 (Melee/Smash 4)
Current Power Rankings

Super Smash Bros Melee:
Players sorted in alphabetical order

S Tier:
Smoking Puppy: :foxmelee:
Syke: :marthmelee::sheikmelee:
A Tier:
AussieRob: :falconmelee:
Haikal: :foxmelee::marthmelee:
JBirds: :falcomelee::foxmelee:

A- Tier:
Cal: :marthmelee:
B Tier:
Jimbo: :luigimelee:
Kami: :foxmelee:
Phrase: :marthmelee:
Uber: :foxmelee:
Rulesets
Super Smash Bros Melee:
Singles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
Doubles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • DK 64
  • Poke Floats
General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively
  • Wobbling is legal. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and is not allowed.
  • Double Blind: If elected
  • Contest Port Priority: If elected
  • Neutral Start: If elected
  • DSR: You cannot counter pick to any stage you have won on ever.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
  • Forced Character Selection: Off
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count. A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on. This includes the first match won via stage striking.
  • Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.
  • Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
  • Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
    • If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss
    • If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss
    • These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner.
Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Team Attack: ON
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
How to Play a Set
  1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind
  2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage
  3. The players play the first match of the set
    Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
    For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
    For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
  9. The next match is played.
  10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.
Term Definitions
  • Double Blind: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
  • Contest Port Priority: If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a best of 1 game of Rock Paper Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port.
  • Neutral Start: Either player may enact this rule. Once enacted, both players may only use one of the two “Neutral Starting Positions”. A best of one game of Rock Paper Scissors may be used to determine who gets the higher port. If one player elects to Contest Port Priority and the other elects to Neutral Start, Neutral Start takes priority.
  • DSR: A player/team may not pick any stage they previously won on.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
  • Forced Character Selection: The losing player once had the option to select Random Stage as their counterpick and remove the option to change characters from the winner of the previous round. This is no longer legal. If a player wishes to select Random Stage as their counterpick, the winner of the previous round may choose to change their character.
  • Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining.

Last edited:

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Super Smash Bros Melee Ruleset:

Singles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:

• Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:

• Pokemon Stadium
Doubles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:

• Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:

• DK 64
  • Poke Floats
  • Rainbow Ride
  • Corneria
General Rules

• Items are set to off
  • Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively
  • Wobbling is legal. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and is not allowed.
  • Double Blind: If elected
  • Contest Port Priority: If elected
  • Neutral Start: If elected
  • DSR: You cannot counter pick to any stage you have won on ever.
  • Forced Character Selection: Off
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count. A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on. This includes the first match won via stage striking.
  • Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.
  • Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
  • Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
    • If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss
    • If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss
    • These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner.
Additional Rules for Teams Play

• Team Attack: ON
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
How to Play a Set

1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind
  2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage
  3. The players play the first match of the set
    Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
    For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
    For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
  9. The next match is played.
  10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.
Term Definitions

• Double Blind: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
    • Contest Port Priority: If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a best of 1 game of Rock Paper Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port.
    • Neutral Start: Either player may enact this rule. Once enacted, both players may only use one of the two “Neutral Starting Positions”. A best of one game of Rock Paper Scissors may be used to determine who gets the higher port. If one player elects to Contest Port Priority and the other elects to Neutral Start, Neutral Start takes priority.
    • DSR: A player/team may not pick any stage they previously won on.
    • Forced Character Selection: The losing player once had the option to select Random Stage as their counterpick and remove the option to change characters from the winner of the previous round. This is no longer legal. If a player wishes to select Random Stage as their counterpick, the winner of the previous round may choose to change their character.
    • Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining.

VIDEOS
Tournament Vids:
Uber's Channel - Mainly tourney vids

Other Channels
Syke's Channel - mainly friendlies and a few tourney/combo vids

Last edited:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
if a melbournian was keen for this... would there be housing available?

he'd have to check his uni schedule first though :D

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
if a melbournian was keen for this... would there be housing available?

he'd have to check his uni schedule first though :D

Dean posted on MMGN about this, he said he and Koa might go.

I'm sure Vyse might house, I'm not sure about Matt though since he may have a full house.

Some of the QLD crew do split a hotel iirc.

If you come, teach me how to be good so I can beat QLD pls :lucario:

Team with meh imo, keep your stocks, SD Lucario twice and kill peeps with a fresh Fsmash at 35%, easy win. ;)

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Dean posted on MMGN about this, he said he and Koa might go.
I didn't quite say that I didn't talk to him at all about this, I just remember him saying that he would like to go back to Queensland one day.
I am a little interested though, but it's probably kinda unlikely.

Remastered

Smash Lord
I'll be housing Apollo, Zydro & BC per usual. Which leaves me with 1 spot if you would like housing Attila? If you have already organised it, then that's fine.

Edit: This spot is saved for Gords, but if he doesn't get back to me, then it's all yours Attila.

*Dusts off GC control* Suppose I better practice so I don't get bodied...... **** it, I'm playing Luigi.

As far as I'm aware BC, you're just the Brawl TO aren't you? Let Syke post the melee ranking stuff in the second post seeing as he has it.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
There should be polls for these things to decide on the date. I'd prefer Sunday because I'm cheap, but I don't have a problem for Saturday if it's best for most people.

J.R.D

Smash Rookie
Hi. My name is Jimmy im from the sunshine coast. I main pikachu and i heard about brawl tournaments that are held in brisbane and I would like to join the community.:) And is there anyone in brisbane housing thanks

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Good luck TOing BC! :)
I can pretty much confirm my attendance. Without sounding rude (or at least meaning to), but is anyone possibly willing to house me for this event? ^^;

Remastered

Smash Lord
Looking at $300+ Return - Melbourne to Brisbane. So expensive in my opinion, when you can fly to Japan from Brisbane one way for $200ish on a good day.

Gords, I need to know if you are attending this pretty urgently. I need to know how much space I have :)

Gords

Smash Champion
Looking at $300+ Return - Melbourne to Brisbane. So expensive in my opinion, when you can fly to Japan from Brisbane one way for $200ish on a good day.

Gords, I need to know if you are attending this pretty urgently. I need to know how much space I have :)
sorry mat for the late reply, havent been checking smashboards often due to studying.
I definitely want to go to this, unfortunately I wont know until I can get swaps from work. the roster comes out on the 16th, so thats when i can start looking.
I should have sat and sunday off, already so maybe ill just come sat morning and stay till monday.

@ the TO
NOTE: i will prefer sunday for smash events at the moment for this reason.

also where is antho?

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
K, so, I'm like 99% confirmed for this and will being staying at a motel with probably Aerodrome, Blade and possibly Kaion but idk what he's doing. Anyone else is welcome to come I assume, although they should check with Aero/Kurogane Hammer as well.

I'd like to stay til' Monday but since Aero leaves on Sunday I'd have nowhere to stay, and it's for this reason that I'd prefer Brawl on Saturday since I won't miss anything this way. Aero and I couldn't win doubles a few tournaments back because I had to peace out early, and then left my jacket at the venue #sadness #goodguyaeromailedittome #ifkinghatehashtags

Anyway, so yeah, PM Aero and myself if you want to stay with us and we'll see wassup. I got invited to a horrible Skype discussion the other day because apparently Waveguider wanted to ask me something that he never got around to asking :/

Also, go the blues! State of Origin the best.

Remastered

Smash Lord
I was going to take time off work for this until I realised the dates. Being 30 June, and being an accountant, it would be kind of a **** move from me to take time off around then.

This means that I can house for the Friday and Saturday night, with the flights either leaving late Sunday, or before 8am Monday morning if I push to the latest time possible and I drop you off on my way to work.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Wave wants to be silly and come in by train on the day and leave by train on the day.

I told him to get housing with Jesmo and Aero and said he should ask.

WAVE, you silly silly person. Just get housing, lol.

Waveguider

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Waveguider
The longer I stay the more money I'll need to ask for and I don't really feel like being that guy so I'm taking the absolute cheapest way outta this thank you. =)

Remastered

Smash Lord
Had a good practice session with Zydro this weekend. Probably going to main Fox for the upcoming Lansmash.

Apollo & I will partner for the first time in doubles, so you guys will need to be on your game in both formats at the tournament.

Jesmo and I have discussed doing a 'revamp' of the current PR after June. We will be basing most of the PR placings on your results over the last 2 Lansmashes (last 6 months), so bring your best form and A game to the table.

Remastered

Smash Lord
I haven't practiced like that it a while, was good to work on some tech skill.

One thing I did notice, and now makes me realise what the majority of you guys are doing wrong, is Zydro was impatient for the majority of his games.

After I told him he needs to slow it down and use the timer he actually managed to control the map and used his lead to force my approach. He was able to beat me by playing smart and controlled. If he plays a focused
game like that at Lansmash, you guys might have an issue beating him.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Can't wait to play him offline if so.

I can be patient, my character has to be agro though :l

But I have learned I can't chase Meta Knight but I know when I can approach him now.

EDIT: How about that Smash 4 trailer?

Remastered

Smash Lord
Jaice is keen to attend this now that Smash 4 has started to roll out. Says he will make villager work, regardless of how low tier he is.

Probably going to be practicing with Jaice this weekend. Anyone else keen for legit brawl prac?

Top Bottom