• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

QLD DORF Clan: R.I.P. DORF OFF

Scrubs

Smash Lord
I think the main reason for lack of interest is the timing.....

And Gannondorf is boring as **** in brawl....

No offense to people who enjoy playing Gannon but they could just as easily play him at a normal meet / small tourney without everyone being required to play him.

Even if future Dorf Off's were low tier only or Hyrule Off's i think attendance would improve while preserving the orginal having fun/not taking it to seriously sentiment.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
I think the main reason for lack of interest is the timing.....

And Gannondorf is boring as **** in brawl....

No offense to people who enjoy playing Gannon but they could just as easily play him at a normal meet / small tourney without everyone being required to play him.

Even if future Dorf Off's were low tier only or Hyrule Off's i think attendance would improve while preserving the orginal having fun/not taking it to seriously sentiment.
Although I don't have a problem with Ganon only, I think we should try having a low tier tourney for fun sometime.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
bob turned up.. didn't know it had been canceled lol nice communication skills between housemates.
there wasn't a meet, that's why we didn't post or invite anyone.
no more DORF OFF's/other crappy suggestions, sowwy gaiz.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Queensland's dead. Let's just all go out to the city one night for a nice dinner and have fun.

**** games.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
More smash goes on than we see on here. It's kept quiet is all. And I can understand that since people don't want 100s turning up etc. For those willing to hold smash meets and let people know, I'm grateful.

@Dorfoff: It's a shame because I had fun at the two I went to.
This meet was bad timing for me, so I couldn't go.

Losing Bob's old house was probably the biggest blow too. Scott and Arrow have stepped it up and Aron too, so hopefully things aren't too bleak. Dorf offs are just a really good excuse to get smashed either way. We could do this even without calling it a dorfoff.

I wish I could help GC step it up for house meets, but I just can't do it in my house's situation. K-0S is the only one, and those are pretty small meets.

Hopefully the public avenues we're looking at with game traders and Rebun/axidos come through. At the very least, we have a consistent tournament schedule for the rest of the year, so now I can get onto re-integrating the smashers that are here and there. Matt and Jaice are just the first, hopefully more players decide to step it up (I'm thinking Kickflip/Chief, Lucario, segafreak, Animania people I've kept in contact with).

It might be the end of an era, but we can forge on ahead and find new avenues. I'll keep onto Michael about getting the PCYC meets going and push for more regularity. I've all but given up with the OMFG club because I've all but lost contact with them.

I'd prefer that we organised something on our own, and that's what we have going with SmashPlay and HotCats, but yeah, regularity. Even if we went back to that small room at the PCYC in the valley. It'd be good.

In any case, if nothing more's left to be said about it, I'll lock this so it doesn't become a spam fest. I'd much rather see it stay alive and turn into a thread for at least announcing smash meets you guys might want to hold (rather than tournaments as such). Up to you what you want to see happen.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
zzzz i text bob to tell cal things he never does.
i text cal to tell bob he never does or bob forgets.

i iz with michael at the moment. lets go out for food :/ do want to play games or not... (dont want to sound too negative about smash... but bleeeh)

michaels unite. good alliance. ill get the other 4 michaels i know. we will face-**** the world.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
seaDORF and I started this thread, because long before we joined the smash scene.. every friday night after we (the 4 original DORF's - oldman, sea, ranga & pinefresh) all knocked off work, we'd go to colonel, then a bottleshop and spend all night at one of our houses smashing beers and playing lots of brawl, the majority of which were Ganon dittos. After a while we decided that it would be a good idea to embrace this tradition amongst the QLD smash community, because whenever we went to tournaments, we'd never have as much fun as we did on those kind of nights.

Although the first DORF OFF went well, a lot of what we were aiming to do was lost at the second one. People seemed to treat it more of a casual meet where you can rock up and do what you want - with the appeal of inadvertent free food and drinks. That aside, we never really had a set venue to hold these tournaments. The first one was at sea's former house that his parents let him use as a farewell party. The second at bob's, then he moved house.. and never spoke of hosting anything again. The third was supposed to be at ranga's while his parents were away, then we found out late in the week that they'd be home early sunday morning, so along with other reasons decided to cancel it. One of which was lack of people committing to attendance. Then people started suggesting we should make changes to these tournaments so more people would be more interested in coming. However, our aim was only ever to share what we used to enjoyed amongst ourselves with others. So we've decided to cease DORF OFF's altogether.

However, we'll still have small meets of this nature in the future. I could potentially be moving in with ranga at the end of the year, so who knows what kind of chaos will happen then.

I'll lock this so it doesn't become a spam fest. I'd much rather see it stay alive and turn into a thread for at least announcing smash meets you guys might want to hold (rather than tournaments as such). Up to you what you want to see happen.
I was going to PM you about this vyse, but since you've already said brought it up here, it's up to you with what you want to do with this thread. I don't mind using it for other means, since it's the most active QLD thread apart from the main one.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
"People seemed to treat it more of a casual meet where you can rock up and do what you want"

XD dorf-off is very serious business gaiz

remember this happens at normal tourneys anyway >_> dont b so disheartened mudkrab

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
Taken out of context zac.

I didn't mean people came and didn't sit down and play their matches on time *cry cry* like at normal tourneys, I meant people came to a Ganondorf tournament, without the intention of playing any Ganon dittos.. and just took the free food and "free" drinks and did whatever they wanted to, even though they were guests at someone's house.

Some people wanted an explanation as to why we've decided to stop hosting these things, that's all I'm doing. I'm not going into it any further.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Then lets keep this thread alive.

A smaller meets thread or something of the nature. Heck, keep it as a ganondorf clan thread for you guys to organise meets through. As long as the goal of the thread is to organise smash in any form, it's okay by me.

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Well, there is a lot of Ganon enthusiasm in QLD recently.

Perhaps Dorf Off 3 is not completely implausible.

Although I see Kong Off 3 as being more likely, as the Kong Offs were the spiritual successor to the Dorf Off tournaments.

I did have a whack fantasy of the 2 somehow being combined, like for example in doubles you would have to have a Ganon and a DK and you could have all sorts of fun takes on the format.

It's no wonder that the Dorf Off and Kong Off series both have stood the test of time as 2 of my fondest memories of Smash and that I main those 2 characters to this day, one because I identify strongly with the characters but also to be in form for when either or both tournaments return....

EDIT:
Mods, delete this post.
I did not mean to bring back this topic from the gap between dimensions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom