• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q-Boy Support Thread: Hoping and Dreaming High into the Sky

smash puffle

Smash Ace
qboy-vector_large_03.png

"Q-Boy will blow your mind!"

Ok this one will be a hard sell for a lot of people, but please hear me out.

Now I'm very aware that this is 110% never going to happen, I know my head is in the clouds, but I don't care anymore.
"Hopes and dreams are what this forum runs on." It's this forum's motto, after all. So let's do this then.

A proper introduction:

During the 90's and 2000's, various companies, mostly in places like China or Taiwan were making unlicensed games for the Famicom/NES.
It was a huge market back then, and a lot of games came out from these companies. Sachen was just one of them.
Usually their games, like other bootleg games, were rather mediocre, or just downright bad... except for one.

320930_front.jpg

Q-Boy was a Famicom/NES game released by Sachen in 1994, at the end of the system's official lifespan.
It stars the titular hero Q Boy as he retrieves the mythical "Flower of Dream" from the evil Dr. Mouse, in order to bring back peace and order to the Q Galaxy (or something like that).

QBoyTitle.png

The game itself is a 2D sidescrolling platformer. At first glance, it looks like your average platforming game, but this game surprises with its rather unique mechanics and gameplay. As Q Boy, a cloud like young child, besides your normal first jump, you possess air abilities which include multiple jumps and blowing strong winds.
With multiple jumps, you can reach great heights and distances, and with the wind blow, you can move away enemies and remove obstacles along the way. Be careful though, because if your air meter runs out, Q Boy gets tired and needs to recharge. Master these mechanics and the overall tight controls, and you'll probably have a good time.

The game also features rich, colorful graphics and suprisingly catchy music, all of which mixed in with the above average gameplay makes for not just one of the best and most impressive bootleg games ever made, but also a rather fun and impressive NES/Famicom game in its own right.

Q Boy (Sachen) [U][!]-71.png
Q Boy (Sachen) [U][!]-44.png

Q Boy (Sachen) [U][!]-70.png
Q Boy (Sachen) [U][!]-72.png

Over the past few years, I've had a soft spot for this game. It quickly became one of my favorite NES games, and my favorite bootleg game period, just for it's charm and characters alone. That love lent itself for me to make fan content for this obscure little gem. From a full Tool-Assisted Speedrun of this game to more general content like fanart and such. Then, I made a moveset video for Q Boy in early 2020, under the video series Smash Bros. Lawltimate (seen below).

This video details the special moves and the air meter mechanic, but I think normal moves and other stuff is not that diffucult to imagine either.

As you can see I can call myself a Q-Boy fan. I just want people to appreciate this game a bit more than just another mediocre bootleg game. This game is much more than that and I sincerely hope that I at least let you reconsider any previous negative views on this game.

Support List:
smash puffle (me)

☁ Thank you for reading, everyone! I did my best here and I hope it shows here. 🙂

Last edited:
Top Bottom