• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A [Q&A + FAQ] Clown Car 101 - Bowser Jr and The Koopalings

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
One time I was with my best friend (he mains Cloud), and we literally went 30 seconds of me dispatching a mechakoopa and him blade-beaming it

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Whats the best way to DI against Shiek's fAir combos? My only Shiek practice is in tourney.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
DI away and air dodge, bot only air dodge if you're off stage so she can't bouncing fish you.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
So how do you guys think bowser Jr would play if he used his paintbrush would he be a zonner, rushdown, bait and punish, or tactician

This just a question that came to me when I got Bowjow on random

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
I have a question for yall, how does the damage work on BJ? For example, Link's bombs deal 5% on everyone. But on BJ, they deal 5%, then 6%, 6%, 6%, 5%, 5%, 5%, 6% etc. I heard that BJ takes damage differently depending on if the cart or if he gets hit, what is the multiplier for this change?

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
I have a question for yall, how does the damage work on BJ? For example, Link's bombs deal 5% on everyone. But on BJ, they deal 5%, then 6%, 6%, 6%, 5%, 5%, 5%, 6% etc. I heard that BJ takes damage differently depending on if the cart or if he gets hit, what is the multiplier for this change?
Yeah he has this stupid mechanic were he takes more damage if you hit him directly

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Yeah he has this stupid mechanic were he takes more damage if you hit him directly
Do you know the numbers? (example, if base damage is 10% and the cart takes 10% (base damage), then by using the multiplier x 1.05 (example) then hitting BJ himself does 10X1.05= 10.5%). Basically I am looking for the multiplier so I can accurately test things for the Link boards.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Do you know the numbers? (example, if base damage is 10% and the cart takes 10% (base damage), then by using the multiplier x 1.05 (example) then hitting BJ himself does 10X1.05= 10.5%). Basically I am looking for the multiplier so I can accurately test things for the Link boards.
Yeah can't answer that might want to ask an actual Bowjow main

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
99% sure it's 1.15% on his body,. 85% on the kart. This includes damage and knock back.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Your take on the :4megaman: MU? I have almost 0 Jr experience myself but hearing from a Junior player in my state, he calls it 30:70 and Junior's worst MU. I can see Mega winning it but 70:30 sounds a bit much if I'm honest, and I come asking your thoughts on it to make sure he's right. If you disagree with him, it would be nice for a few pointers on how to play it from both sides if possible.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I can see why he thinks it's that way, Mega Man can combo Bowser Jr. pretty easily, especially with down-throw -> fair, and he has a pretty easy time edgeguarding and gimping us, especially with Metal Blade. Metal Blade being such a long lasting and long-range projectile, it'll always gimp us out of our kart. And his pellets stop most approaches as well, since they put a halt to kart-dash approach and fakeouts.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I can see why he thinks it's that way, Mega Man can combo Bowser Jr. pretty easily, especially with down-throw -> fair, and he has a pretty easy time edgeguarding and gimping us, especially with Metal Blade. Metal Blade being such a long lasting and long-range projectile, it'll always gimp us out of our kart. And his pellets stop most approaches as well, since they put a halt to kart-dash approach and fakeouts.
The rest of your reasoning I agree with. Dthrow to Fair isn't really that good: our Fair lacks knockback, only does 8%, and has like 30 frames of cooldown + 19 frames of landing lag. If a MM attempts this at really low %, he should still be in a bad position against you when you are still put in close range against him (which he doesn't have too many safe options for) and the combo itself is pretty weak all-around. Mega Man actually has a cruddy damage output in general, and he plays a low-risk, low reward gameplan harassing you with projectiles that deal little-to-no damage in trade of the safety he's granted. The only scary combos he really has are Uair > Uair and Metal Blade > Utilt/Usmash kill confirms, the rest of our combos are either situational to pull off or more of a minor annoyance than anything.

IIRC, Junior at least has some good followups from his cart, Dair, and mechakoopas so correct if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine you could probably at least punish our landings, a failed grab approach (he has to go in eventually to punish with anything significant, which is where he struggles imo), or harass his ledge getup with those.

MM has his advantages against Junior, but I can't see combo games as being one of them. I guess he might still be right about it being that bad of an MU overall, but just saying.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I don't recommend airdodging to catch it, you suffer the landing lag/endlag of the airdodge. Just z-grab it by pressing the grab button in the air right on it.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.
Ohh nice
  1. BowserJr takes about 1.15 kb/damage from the turtle body, and 0.85 from the kart.
  2. Gimping Jr 'out of kart' (weak hits) is based on knock back
  3. (this space goes for the details of kart dash armor that I am not knowledgeable on)
  4. DI'ing the mecha Koopa pop up is not a guarantee (idk if it works well even)
  5. BowserJr has a glitch that makes it near impossible to tech 'out of kart' and recover. (this makes him super easy to stage spike)
  6. The first Grab of the mecha Koopa extends the timer.
  7. Mecha can take damage while being held (even when shielding)
  8. Mecha must be grabbed twice by bowjr to prevent self damage while holding it.
  9. [edit] BowserJr will lose his double jump if he jumps out of kart dash. If he spins out he can dash again. Spin out does not steal double jump.
How's that?

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Ohh nice
  1. BowserJr takes about 1.15 kb/damage from the turtle body, and 0.85 from the kart.
  2. Gimping Jr 'out of kart' (weak hits) is based on knock back
  3. (this space goes for the details of kart dash armor that I am not knowledgeable on)
  4. DI'ing the mecha Koopa pop up is not a guarantee (idk if it works well even)
  5. BowserJr has a glitch that makes it near impossible to tech 'out of kart' and recover. (this makes him super easy to stage spike)
  6. The first Grab of the mecha Koopa extends the timer.
  7. Mecha can take damage while being held (even when shielding)
  8. Mecha must be grabbed twice by bowjr to prevent self damage while holding it.
  9. [edit] BowserJr will lose his double jump if he jumps out of kart dash. If he spins out he can dash again. Spin out does not steal double jump.
How's that?
About the 2nd point, do we know the specifics of that 100%? Because it's not only weak hits that will gimp him. If Bowser Jr. is at low percents, even stronger hits will gimp him. I've been at like 0-15/20%, and hits like Ike's bair and Falcon's dair have gimped me, which I am not a fan of. I'm not saying this next bit for 100% fact, but I believe that the gimping factor depends on if that move will jab lock at Jr's current percent.

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
About the 2nd point, do we know the specifics of that 100%? Because it's not only weak hits that will gimp him. If Bowser Jr. is at low percents, even stronger hits will gimp him. I've been at like 0-15/20%, and hits like Ike's bair and Falcon's dair have gimped me, which I am not a fan of. I'm not saying this next bit for 100% fact, but I believe that the gimping factor depends on if that move will jab lock at Jr's current percent.
Well a higher percentage will change the amount of knockback. So a mario Bair might work 0 to 20, ftilt at 0 to 40 might gimp him, but a jab will work until 80 maybe.
[edit] I'm saying maybe cause I don't know the real percent, but the idea is factual.

Last edited:

crytekun

Smash Rookie
Hi, so I've been seaching but I can't find where this question has been answered, who are the best bowser jr. players in the world?

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
If jr gets thrown,does he get pulled out of the clown car?
He does not.
In fact, if you get grabbed in general when you're out of your kart, your kart immediately respawns because there's no animation/instance of Jr. in a grabbed-state out of his kart. This leads to amusing situations where if you up-b on stage and someone grabs you right as you leave the kart but still near the ground, your kart will explode instantly in their face and you'll be able to act almost immediately.

OsFortyTwo

Smash Rookie
He does not.
Heh. I cn imagine that.Thanks for the info! ¦DIn fact, if you get grabbed in general when you're out of your kart, your kart immediately respawns because there's no animation/instance of Jr. in a grabbed-state out of his kart. This leads to amusing situations where if you up-b on stage and someone grabs you right as you leave the kart but still near the ground, your kart will explode instantly in their face and you'll be able to act almost immediately.
Thanks!

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
What's the best option after dair cross up on shield?
I usually try to go for more dairs, since it comes out fast and most people will try to either shield grab or act out of shield, that way you'll already have jumped away/above them with the drill out again. Sometimes I mix it up and do dair-crossup into abandon ship.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I usually try to go for more dairs, since it comes out fast and most people will try to either shield grab or act out of shield, that way you'll already have jumped away/above them with the drill out again. Sometimes I mix it up and do dair-crossup into abandon ship.
Thanks for the reply.
Abandon ship is too slow, I've already gotten punished plenty of times. Another drill works if they didn't perfect shield the previous one. Lately, I've been rolling away if I want to retreat or perfect pivot away > down tilt if l want to shield poke safely.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Thanks for the reply.
Abandon ship is too slow, I've already gotten punished plenty of times. Another drill works if they didn't perfect shield the previous one. Lately, I've been rolling away if I want to retreat or perfect pivot away > down tilt if l want to shield poke safely.
Ah, I hardly ever roll so that's why I didn't mention it.
I abandon ship because a lot of the times when I do it, it'll trade and still explode on them. Yeah, it gets beat before it comes out a good amount, but I still use it as a mixup

OsFortyTwo

Smash Rookie
Anyone else find it kinda weird that Jr. Can't "fly" like kirby does in a FREAKIN HELICOPTER?:4kirby::4bowserjr:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Anyone else find it kinda weird that Jr. Can't "fly" like kirby does in a FREAKIN HELICOPTER?:4kirby::4bowserjr:
Oh man, his recovery would go from already amazing to "oh my god what is this recovery"

And if he had a similar mechanic to Peach's float, that'd be nuts

Top Bottom