• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pyra/Mythra's Costumes

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, it seems to be a lot of people's thoughts, but others seem adamant about a Xenogears reference. Though, it is also on a pretty dark stage.

link2702

Smash Champion
Black and red with purplish hair? Checks out for QTπ. Her hair looks to be a darker shade, but that's the only real difference I see.

A Brighid theme is probably a lock, but I meant what her alt will be with this Mythra alt specifically. Driver/blade pairs would make sense, though I'm not sure how they could make a Tora alt look good honestly.
I'm sure they'll find a way. THough they could honestly skip the drivers altogether and go with all blades. That alt of mythra almost reminded me of
praxis or theory at first.

Arthur97

Smash Master
They also argued Mythra's outfit was purple instead of black which...maybe. Then again, these people really, really seem to want the series connected or something. Like, apparently fun little nods elude the community or something. If it wasn't for that, sure, a little reference to the creator's older series wouldn't be so bad, but here it may be fuel to the fire. Plus, may mean we don't get the party members.
_TdyPbovjvKyAqDlNEK3f7LQjLrbaHC8Os0oPQCosng.jpg

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
A Brighid theme is probably a lock, but I meant what her alt will be with this Mythra alt specifically. Driver/blade pairs would make sense, though I'm not sure how they could make a Tora alt look good honestly.
Probably just make the hair orange and the outfit blue with beige accents? Smash alts have been more abstract in their references before...

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
They also argued Mythra's outfit was purple instead of black which...maybe. Then again, these people really, really seem to want the series connected or something.
Ha, you and I are talking about the same post methinks. While it does look slightly more purplish than Poppi, it's so dark that I don't think it makes much difference.

I don't really mind a Xenogears reference though. Yeah, they aren't the same series, but they are very closely related. Enough so that we have Xenogears characters as blades. If they do have any though, I'd bet on it being a Kos-Mos/T-elos alt. Which can double as a Xenoblade 2 reference.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Probably just make the hair orange and the outfit blue with beige accents? Smash alts have been more abstract in their references before...
They definitely could do it, I just doubt that it would look good, in my opinion. I don't really care for Shulk's Riki themed alt much so maybe that's made me biased.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ha, you and I are talking about the same post methinks. While it does look slightly more purplish than Poppi, it's so dark that I don't think it makes much difference.

I don't really mind a Xenogears reference though. Yeah, they aren't the same series, but they are very closely related. Enough so that we have Xenogears characters as blades. If they do have any though, I'd bet on it being a Kos-Mos/T-elos alt. Which can double as a Xenoblade 2 reference.
Yeah, but it's the double hit of the community being so...insistent to the point of some referring to something by not it's name as well as if they do another for T-elos and KOS-MOS then it's starting to eat into other potential options like.party members or the reversal.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Link isn't working for me. But...yeah I shouldn't let these people get to me. Also, would rather they reference their own game more. One or two off brand ones maybe (like Male Robin having a random white mage reference) but not more than one each. I might also wanna avoid Reddit. They seem to be the only major ones that think its this other...whatever.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I wish they hadn't made 8 costumes the maximum. Needing at least that many makes sense, but for some characters there's just so many good options it feels like a wasted opportunity.

Anyway, unless Sakurai officially says what it's referring to, there's no reason not to take it as a reference to either, or both. Like, it's going to be the same costume whether it's a Xenogears reference or a Poppi reference. Doesn't seem worth getting worked up over.

I.D.

Smash Lord
1614224443498.jpg

I'm 100% sure that's Weltall and not Poppi, not to mention Pyra vs Weltall would be an extremely obvious Xenogears reference while I can't think of anything Pyra vs Poppi would be referencing.

If I'm wrong about this feel free to mock me as much as you want. I'm very confident on this one.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
View attachment 305043

I'm 100% sure that's Weltall and not Poppi, not to mention Pyra vs Weltall would be an extremely obvious Xenogears reference while I can't think of anything Pyra vs Poppi would be referencing.

If I'm wrong about this feel free to mock me as much as you want. I'm very confident on this one.
Pyra vs Poppi could be referencing the fact that Poppo QTPi is technically made to rival an Aegis. But the alt in the screenshot doesn't particularly look like Poppi regardless to be honest. The hair is too dark and her outfit is purple rather than black.

On another note, if they're going to share colors in screenshots, I wish they would just update the website to show the rest of them. The suspense is killing me. If they're going to keep it secret until 3/4, then I hope it's at least for a cool reason.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
As much as I don't like it, the evidence seems to point away from Poppi. Now, fandom aside (I should probably part ways with them anyway), XC2 alone could more than fill up their color slots, and at this rate, odds are it seems like two of their slots are taken up by Xenogears as if they're doing this somewhat obscure reference (to anyone who hasn't played them at least, could be a big deal in the games, but likely obscure to a lot of XC2 fans) then KOS-MOS and T-elos colors seem almost guaranteed unless Pyra's matching one happens to be KOS-MOS and they skip the latter for some reason. So, I kinda see one of two scenarios, either we get the party members which alone would get us up to 5-6 depending on how they deal with a certain someone, then 2 more for Xenogears leaving only one slot if that for either a color switch, Jin and Malos, the poncho, or coffee with milk colors. Other scenario is they don't do the party members and just opt for more obscure Xenogears stuff. Of course, could go somewhere in between or I could be way off, but I don't think this is great for XC2 references.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
It definitely isn't a Poppi skin, which may or may not push the driver/blade colors theory out of the window. If that's the case, I wouldn't be shocked if there are KOS-MOS and T-elos colors, especially if they're aiming to reference other Xeno games besides XB2 alone. I wonder if XBX will get any love with something like an Elma alt?

Also on another note, I'm just now realizing how much that alt looks like Ryuko Matoi from Kill La Kill.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
If he doesn't mention it, the Pyra alt that goes with it should still give a pretty clear idea of what it's intended to reference, so long as it isn't something totally unrelated to either Poppi or Weltall.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
I feel that with so many alts, it would be highly unlikely if Sakurai didn’t explain them.

That & the fact he’s a big fan of XC2. He dedicated an entire Famitsu column to it.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
So, someone tried to compare color tones in the clothes/armor of both characters

Frankly, I'm not sure if you can find a single one of those on Poppi (any version)

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yes, yes, it's probably not Poppi unfortunately. Like the Xenogears/saga people needed more fuel. Hopefully there aren't many of these.

Last edited:

Gleam

Smash Ace
Do remember that QTPi's official artwork has always had a darker purple complexion to her hair. It's only her in game model that gives it hat light blue tinge. In that same regard T-elos' skin tone is notably lighter within her official portrait compared to her in game model.

Anyways, imagine having our first Xenoblade 2 character, introduced under the Xenoblade 2 banner, in a trailer referencing Xenoblade 2 characters and music. You could make references to Poppi, Nia, Zeke, Morag. You could make a referenc to Bana or Turters. I mean you have all these possible references from Xenoblade 2.

And you go for the Xenogears reference? It's like wow Sakurai you truly are grasping much here aren't you? I mean come on, just make a MIi Costume. You want KOS-MOS but aren't willing to make her an actual character, make a Mii Costume. But there is a lot more important things you should be referencing in your "Xenoblade 2 character" right now.

And it's not Xenogears or Xenosaga.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I can kind of get behind the notion of poor priorities, but the evidence seems pretty strong. I don't like it, but it is what it is. Why they couldn't focus on their own game like they did with Shulk or, probably most fighters, I don't know.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Do remember that QTPi's official artwork has always had a darker purple complexion to her hair. It's only her in game model that gives it hat light blue tinge. In that same regard T-elos' skin tone is notably lighter within her official portrait compared to her in game model.

Anyways, imagine having our first Xenoblade 2 character, introduced under the Xenoblade 2 banner, in a trailer referencing Xenoblade 2 characters and music. You could make references to Poppi, Nia, Zeke, Morag. You could make a referenc to Bana or Turters. I mean you have all these possible references from Xenoblade 2.

And you go for the Xenogears reference? It's like wow Sakurai you truly are grasping much here aren't you? I mean come on, just make a MIi Costume. You want KOS-MOS but aren't willing to make her an actual character, make a Mii Costume. But there is a lot more important things you should be referencing in your "Xenoblade 2 character" right now.

I mean it's only one costume as far as we know, assuming that even is the intent

Arthur97

Smash Master
The part that kinda sealed it for me was Pyra's presence in the picture. The intent seems clear, and it worries me. This was the first alt they showed and it's for another series, let alone another game, and that worry isn't strictly limited to alt colors. Though, as far as specific color gradients, the stage is also kinda dark, so do keep that in mind maybe.

Though it gets worse when you realize just how few of the actual references make references outside their home series. Like, one other seems to reference another series (not counting Duck Hunt referencing real animals). Maybe two if you want to stretch it and say Incineroar is referencing Big the Cat, but a lot of them might be stretches.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

I dont even see the problem here. Shulk already did that by referencing party members. If Sakurai wants to reference the whole Xeno series with all the alts he absolutely will to make it different. Sakurai already teased the multiverse in the trailer with Pyra and Shulk knowing eachother... it's quite obvious he's a big Xeno nerd. This is much better than just referencing party members again because he makes every Xeno fan happy.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Except there is no "Xeno" series encompassing all three. There's a difference between Xenoblades being connected and properties they don't own. I know some people really, really like to conflate them, but they literally cannot be the same as things are. As it stands, they have cameos and a similar macguffin, but they aren't the same series. The Smash website literally lists all three under Xenoblade Chronicles, not some vague Xeno title. Also, you really think most casual Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fans care about Xenogears? If they are based on a whole other series, well, that's certainly quite a divergence from the norm. Most alts reference games that the characters have at least been in, and those that don't are usually the same series at least. This is quite an anomaly as is, and I really hope it's the outlier.

Besides, why would they have to be different from Shulk's theming? Not like Lucina didn't reference Awakening's cast. Several fighters reference other characters from their games or series in their colors.

Last edited:

Nartic

Smash Cadet
I don't really care what their alts will be. But if there is any mention of Xenogears or Xenosaga, I think it was likely because of Takahashi(or Monolith Soft)'s request.

Xelha

Smash Rookie

Except there is no "Xeno" series encompassing all three. There's a difference between Xenoblades being connected and properties they don't own. I know some people really, really like to conflate them, but they literally cannot be the same as things are. As it stands, they have cameos and a similar macguffin, but they aren't the same series. The Smash website literally lists all three under Xenoblade Chronicles, not some vague Xeno title. Also, you really think most casual Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fans care about Xenogears? If they are based on a whole other series, well, that's certainly quite a divergence from the norm. Most alts reference games that the characters have at least been in, and those that don't are usually the same series at least. This is quite an anomaly as is, and I really hope it's the outlier.

Besides, why would they have to be different from Shulk's theming? Not like Lucina didn't reference Awakening's cast. Several fighters reference other characters from their games or series in their colors.
What's wrong with an alt referencing Xenogears, the Father of all Xeno games (Xenogears/Xenosaga/Xenoblade)?

I know some people have a weird hang-up with not wanting Xenoblade to be related to Xenogears/Xenosaga and vice versa, but they are all part of the same series thematically whether people like it or not.

Mythra having a Weltall alt color makes so much thematic sense and is so much more interesting than a party member color of someone who's already standing in the background of their stage. It's such a nice throwback to the series.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Okay, let's just forget completely about Xenogears for a moment. Pretend it doesn't exist.

The hair is honestly the least of its problems but really, you can open up photoshop or gimp and use the color picker tool and you will see that Mythra's hair color is still several shades darker than Poppi's official art.

The real kicker are those different shades of navy blue (or whatever it's called I'm not good with color names). they simply don't exist anywhere on Poppi's clothes, which are pure black. Blaming something like stage lighting is a poor argument, because they are just going to be even more noticeable on brighter stages. All of Mythra's clothes are like that, but the main dress on her torso and the gloves covering her hands are the main offenders as those clearly do not match Poppi in any way.

But I think the absolute death knell is the core crystal. You can actually see the bottom part of Mythra's core crystal in that pic, next to her armpit, and it's clearly a red color, while Poppi's core/ether furnance is orange-yellow. It just seems like too much of a ****-up for the Smash team to make when Shulk's alt colors are so spot on.

I said it in another post but I didn't even see Poppi until I noticed people talking about her. Technically I'm still not seeing her. Maybe that's not Xenogears, but it's for sure not Poppi either. I'm open to hearing what other things it could be but I just don't see Poppi there.

Last edited:

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I wanted a Poppi skin, but I don't really see the big deal here with having a few references to Xenogears and Xenosaga. Coming from someone who's never played a single game from those two series. They are the origins to Xenoblade after all. I'd be more worried about whether the skins look good or not.

Arthur97

Smash Master
What's wrong with an alt referencing Xenogears, the Father of all Xeno games (Xenogears/Xenosaga/Xenoblade)?

I know some people have a weird hang-up with not wanting Xenoblade to be related to Xenogears/Xenosaga and vice versa, but they are all part of the same series thematically whether people like it or not.

Mythra having a Weltall alt color makes so much thematic sense and is so much more interesting than a party member color of someone who's already standing in the background of their stage. It's such a nice throwback to the series.
Same series thematically? So, what? Should Marth get Tear Rising colors? They are not the same series. That is simple fact. Doesn't matter if people can't accept that, no amount of "theming" changes reality. They are listed differently, and it is an anomaly among alts to do this. You may say more interesting, but I'd rather they celebrate the game that pretty much all their fans will have enjoyed, not some game from another franchise thatmay fuel people's delusions of them being the same series despite the real world saying otherwise.

I.D.

Smash Lord
You know, it's a bit hypocritical to complain about fans personally attacking you when you can't even refrain yourself from calling them deluded in every other post you make. Since this alt dropped you've been acting insufferable. Nobody is out to get you, the smash team isn't out to get you either. If a single alt color out of 14 gets to you this badly maybe it's time to step back for a while. Anyway I'm dropping this topic for good and I'll refrain from engaging in any further conversation about this, we'll know for sure in a few days anyway. Just rest assured you were the absolute last person I was thinking of while talking about this.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Don't recall saying I was personally attacked. It does irk me to no end having people insist on what is factually untrue just because they seemingly want to beleive it. If that's not deluded, what is? It is holding a view that is untrue, therefore, delusional. I would much rather they spend their time on XC2 over some other game like most fighters.

Last edited:

Gleam

Smash Ace
I highly doubt we're going to see anything that's not Xenoblade 2 related especially in regards to the DLC spirits and whatever alts we've gotten. It's never happened before so there's little to think it's going to happen now. Best case scenario you might get some Xenosaga songs, but I see very little reason why we can't just incorporate Xenosaga into its own thing. Unless you think Xenosaga is so unpopular it couldn't stand on its own.

Now here's kind of the issue with Xenogears. It's not by Monolith, it's a Square/Square Enix produced game. So unless there was a transfer of ownership of Xenogears over to Monolith, you aren't going to be seeing Xenogears in this DLC, at least directly. Something like "color scheme" is so simplistic you could probably say it's representing anything if you put your mind to it.

Personally, I'm pretty sure it's a Poppi reference and despite what people might think, I see all the color and hair that represents it. If it's not Poppi, than maybe I'm just not recalling a character with that color scheme at the moment. But I kind of doubt we're going to get anything referenced outside of Xenoblade 2, songs included.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I highly doubt we're going to see anything that's not Xenoblade 2 related especially in regards to the DLC spirits and whatever alts we've gotten. It's never happened before so there's little to think it's going to happen now. Best case scenario you might get some Xenosaga songs, but I see very little reason why we can't just incorporate Xenosaga into its own thing. Unless you think Xenosaga is so unpopular it couldn't stand on its own.

Now here's kind of the issue with Xenogears. It's not by Monolith, it's a Square/Square Enix produced game. So unless there was a transfer of ownership of Xenogears over to Monolith, you aren't going to be seeing Xenogears in this DLC, at least directly. Something like "color scheme" is so simplistic you could probably say it's representing anything if you put your mind to it.

Personally, I'm pretty sure it's a Poppi reference and despite what people might think, I see all the color and hair that represents it. If it's not Poppi, than maybe I'm just not recalling a character with that color scheme at the moment. But I kind of doubt we're going to get anything referenced outside of Xenoblade 2, songs included.
Terry's pack?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

I mean there are Xenogears references in Xenoblade 2..... so i'm really not sure why you are so annoyed about this.

1614452209317.png

Her costume in game with the green hair is literally called nano orange and if you played Xenogears you'd know that's Emeralda.

1614404526399.png

There are a lot more I can link if you want. In Xenoblade 2 there are a lot of references to Xeno games in the costumes, dlc, etc. So why is it so surprising to you that Mythra has a Weltall alt?

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean there are Xenogears references in Xenoblade 2..... so i'm really not sure why you are so annoyed about this.

View attachment 305324

Her costume in game with the green hair is literally called nano orange and if you played Xenogears you'd know that's Emeralda.

View attachment 305303

There are a lot more I can link if you want. In Xenoblade 2 there are a lot of references to Xeno games in the costumes, dlc, etc. So why is it so surprising to you that Mythra has a Weltall alt?
Mainly cause there's a very limited amount of alts they can have and they're using them on another series rather than the rich opportunities the 2 itself provides. A 2 reference couldn't make it in for this. Which, one, not so bad, but I dread that it'll be more than that. Amd yes, I very much value XC2 over anything gears or saga. Most fighters stick to their own stuff, why should 2 have to share? Especially when 1 didn't? When most don't? What did we lose for this? Reverse colors, coffee with milk colors, Jin and Malos? Poppi themed one? What if there are even more? I imagine there will be at least one more.

Plus, add that to the people insisting things that are literally not true, and, yeah, it bothers me. Perhaps irrationally so.

Last edited:

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Terry's pack?
To be fair, Terry is really representing King of Fighters which is also a game he stars in and is SNK's largest franchise by far. I wouldn't doubt Sakurai had some influence there though considering KoF was the fighting game he grew up on and it's what gave him the inspiration for Smash in the first place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom