• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

Hong

The Strongest
Seren undoubtedly has a tsundere crush over Lip. If Little Mac puts one mitt on Lip, the moon will inevitably have to make a crash-landing.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Lip has rivalries with Yoshi. Or they're bestest friends. Whichever.

I bet Lip gets well along with Olimar and Pikmin. Maybe Villager as well.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Was actually my first thought, though Ruby seems to be too timid to fight off others for Lip's affections.
Hm, I never saw Ruby as the timid type. Then again, I suppose I have rather specific personal interpretations for each and every one of the characters since there are only very quick bios to go off of.

Now I'm curious to learn how other people interpret the fairies and their personalities.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Seren undoubtedly has a tsundere crush over Lip. If Little Mac puts one mitt on Lip, the moon will inevitably have to make a crash-landing.
What about Ruby?
Was actually my first thought, though Ruby seems to be too timid to fight off others for Lip's affections.
Hm, I never saw Ruby as the timid type. Then again, I suppose I have rather specific personal interpretations for each and every one of the characters since there are only very quick bios to go off of.

Now I'm curious to learn how other people interpret the fairies and their personalities.
>.>

<.<

Lip X Flare OTP!

*Flees*

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I agree on Lip & Sable. (-´2`-) (But hey, I like Mac & Lip having some friendly relationship, look at thos two~)

Please source your pics though: Pixiv has a strict policy on not reposting pics here without the artist's permission, and even then always source it back so the artists get's the credit. There's been many pics reposted without permission which has led the artists to delete them to prevent anymore worse art theft. (Check this article I did in Tumblr on this).

Rui has been one of these and I might even say it's partially my fault: I had once reposted one pic depicting Assist Trophies in a nifty manner without sourcing back, but I found out long ago it was deleted since.

So yeah - perhaps enough off-topic for here.
No worries, the deed has been done and Lip will be proud of it. ;)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Can't say in detail, but I tend to give the fairies certain characteristics. For example, Lip being interested in witchcraft, Sherbet ironically loves spicy food, Windy is British, Ruby is a fangirl of sentai and mecha works, Flare's favorite sport is wrestling, Elias having a hobby in fortune telling, Neris loves karaoke, Seren likes to ice skate, and Thiana is a hippie and lesbian.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Can't say in detail, but I tend to give the fairies certain characteristics. For example, Lip being interested in witchcraft, Sherbet ironically loves spicy food, Windy is British, Ruby is a fangirl of sentai and mecha works, Flare's favorite sport is wrestling, Elias having a hobby in fortune telling, Neris loves karaoke, Seren likes to ice skate, and Thiana is a hippie and lesbian.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I have a question for Lip supporters. It's probably already been discussed in this thread, but would you prefer to see Lip appear with a new design, similarly to Pit's situation in Brawl, or would you rather her simply appear with an updated model of her original design, as happened with the Ice Climbers?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
If Lip had to a redesign the two main things I want on her are
1) Bloomers - Of course the Flower Fairy should wear Bloomers
2) Little Fairy Wings - Because Fairy and also I'd like more gliding people in Smash

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
If Lip had to a redesign the two main things I want on her are
1) Bloomers - Of course the Flower Fairy should wear Bloomers
2) Little Fairy Wings - Because Fairy and also I'd like more gliding people in Smash
The 2nd one is a bit of a stretch.

For one, not all fairies have wings.

Also, in the gamecube version of Panel de pon, there are multiple characters that have flying sprites such as Flare's daughter and Ruby's daughter. Furil doesn't.

True, it's not exactly Lip it's her daughter, but it is something to consider.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I have a question for Lip supporters. It's probably already been discussed in this thread, but would you prefer to see Lip appear with a new design, similarly to Pit's situation in Brawl, or would you rather her simply appear with an updated model of her original design, as happened with the Ice Climbers?
Something of a compromise between her old design and a slight redesign, so pretty much just a redesign, but not to the extent of Pit.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone!
With Flare as my favorite fairy of the original cast ( I like the blazing hair) I think of her as followed : as a lone fighter (in terms of synergies with the other fairies) even slightly dominant and with a sharp tongue.

If we talk about her Captain Rainbow design I suggest to redesign her (I do not like her abstract design there so much) to her 2 Player Background design. Yeah it's 2D but still it have a lot potential in 3D.

From Furil, Rayea & Co I think as the direct successor of their respective element. I think that only one fairy of -the element- is possible to exist at once.
Excample: Furil the bloom of the new spring. Sala maid of the new moon. Coderia/Cordelia must be something like the fairy(?) of trails. And so on^^ (Sorry for the fanfiction but I can't help myself ^^)

With best regards

LipFlare

P.S. RouffWestie your last post hit me off guard.
P.S.S.
Lip has rivalries with Yoshi.
Young Horsetail that reminds me of [Puzzle War Trailer (Short Version)] from youtube have you ever seen it? It's actually pretty funny ^ ^

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I want the original design
But make the flip-cursor-thing her bracelets. Split it in half and put one cursor on the right arm and one on the left. And she shall use them when using a Switch attack.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Hm, this was a treat to read. British Windy (I want this to be canon), Hippie Thiana...very amusing. I'm curious as to what inspired these interpretations. I'm pretty sure the bit about Neris is canon, though! I think that was stated in her official profile somewhere. Both her and Elias love to sing, actually.

As for the way I see them..

Windy is very goofy, energetic and mischievous. She is the second youngest of the group (right behind Sherbet) and thus has a very playful attitude. She is best friends with Sherbet, and the two of them enjoy playing pranks on the others. Despite her love for pranks and teasing, she's very kind and optimistic and enjoys hanging out with the rest of the fairies, whom she sees as older sisters.

Sherbet, like Windy, is very mischievous and enjoys stirring up little trouble for her amusement. However, unlike Windy, she's less friendly and outgoing and is a little more reserved and stoic. You could say Sherbet is the Blue Oni to Windy's Red. Although Windy genuinely means no harm with her pranks, Sherbet tends to be a bit more bitter and mean spirited. She keeps to herself most of the time and isn't much as much of a team player as the other fairies are.

Thiana is very competitive and is confident in her magic abilities. She likes to show off when she can, and genuinely thinks that she's a little more competent than the other fairies. She hates to lose competition. However, she is very loyal to both Lip and Selene, and when things do get serious, she does her best to be truly reliable and helpful. She loves nature (as stated in her bio) and spends a lot of time just hanging out in the forest with random critters. She shares a friendly rivalry with Flare.

Ruby is a bit of a workaholic. She's very responsible and feels the need to take lead when Selene is not around. She's a very caring friend and does her best to look after the rest of the fairies, even when she doesn't need to. She's well liked by the other fairies due to being very reliable and very friendly, but she can be a bit overprotective at times. She spends a lot of time working on making pretty gems (usually as accessories for herself and the other fairies) and often puts her work before herself.

Elias is very sweet and gentle, perhaps the nicest of the fairies, but is a little bit ditzy. She is rather absent minded and often has her head in the clouds, off in her own little world. She's a romanticist and love stories. She is best friends with Neris (who is a bit more level headed) and the two of them love to sing songs together, Elias preferring love songs. Elias spends a lot of time just daydreaming and spacing out.

Flare is a feisty one. Much like Ruby, she is very work oriented. She doesn't really like play around that much and is very serious minded. She's also very passionate about her work. She is both a control freak and a neat freak, and she absolutely hates it when jobs are done in sloppy or careless manners. She won't hesitate to try and take control of any situation if she feels she could do a better job at it (which she usually does). She likes it when people act in a respectful manner and hates it when people seem to step out of line (which she can be hypocritical about). She has a lot of respect for Ruby for being competent and reliable. She sort of headbutts with Thiana a bit, since Thiana tends to have a bit of an attitude. They share a friendly rivalry.

Neris is the most powerful fairy in the group, having the strongest magic (just barely stronger than Selene). She is very soft spoken and level headed, though, and perhaps has the most stable personality of all the fairies. She is very carefree and keeps her cool at pretty much all times; few things get her riled up. In her free time, she likes to host small karaoke parties with the various aquatic creatures in the sea. The second oldest of the fairies, Neris is close friends with Elias and kind of watches over her as an older sister.

Selene is the leader, but she's kind of vain and conceited. She is very prideful and cares much for appearance and her status as the leader. She means well, but she sometimes acts a little patronizing to the other fairies, and thus isn't quite as close to the group as the others are. She enjoys being looked up to by the other fairies, and if her power or superiority becomes challenged, she gets a little bit flustered. She has a difficult time not acting like royalty.

These interpretations are basically what I infer from the official profiles, official art, subtle in game sprites and animations, and the little bit of dialogue the characters have. Some of it is just pure fanon on my part though (I just imagine neris is the strongest, I don't have any base for that).

I dunno why I went into so much detail for this. I'm a nerd.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
The 2nd one is a bit of a stretch.

For one, not all fairies have wings.

Also, in the gamecube version of Panel de pon, there are multiple characters that have flying sprites such as Flare's daughter and Ruby's daughter. Furil doesn't.

True, it's not exactly Lip it's her daughter, but it is something to consider.
That's true I guess

Lip could glide by holding onto a Dandelion tuff or something

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I would like to see her somewhat unaltered but with some redesigns here and there to blend in to the audience's eyes better (Bloomers and such). RouffWestie had a nifty idea for a design, I approve.

I think I wrote in on my moveset on the OP but I had imagined Lip to be able to make multiple "skips" on the air, integrating well in her cute fairy-like personality.

I think I drew inspiration from this pic (can anybody recognize the the game?)

Fairies' Personalities
Gotta tell you, I hadn't ever went this far when elaborating or coming up with personalities for these guys (mostly). Sweet job!

I had however, thought some quirks for these now and then:

- Windy is an inventor of sorts, making out useful items and artifacts infused with her magic power. She's the one behind Gale Boomerang from LOZ: Twilight Princess (which is said to house the Fairy of Winds), Wing Cap (and perhaps Yoshi Wings in general) from Mario-series, and so on.

- Sherbet is a quite mischief maker, but has really bubbly and energetic personality. She traverses through icy land and sometimes other lands during wintertime. She can be said to be the Nintendo-equivalent of Jack Frost in the folklore. (I had thought things like her icy breath making someone not feel cold and suffer it's consequences for a while even in most bitter temperatures)

EDIT: I forgot to put this but:

Sherbet is a big fan of Phospora. Yeah. I dunno where I got it from but she fangirls over her.

- Thiana moves and acts a lot like a ninja (inspiration from Kyutwo's animations below). She's also one of the more taller and seasoned fairies in maturity, helping them out in a big-sister-esque way.

- Elias used to have a lover, but something went down with their relationship and they have never seen since. She longs to see him again, however.

Didn't elaborate much on rest, sadly - but yeah.

P.S.S. Young Horsetail that reminds me of [Puzzle War Trailer (Short Version)] from youtube have you ever seen it? It's actually pretty funny ^ ^
Yeah, I think I was referrin' to Kyutwo's animation project:

I remember being complete sucker for these things, they were just that badass. Just look how feisty the fairies were.

Sadly this project's been discontinued eons ago before it managed to even get to first episode or close. But hey, if Lip's in SSB4, perhaps we can enact the long-awaited fight after all these years.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
You know, it's funny. I've always liked the idea of this character being in a Smash game (fighting with constructs based off of Panel de Pon, Yoshi's Cookie, Dr. Mario and Tetris? Why not?) but I always seem to forget mentioning as much when a new Smash is upon us.

You can add me to supporters for the future!

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
I just recently started playing Panel De Pon and I love it (though I'm not all that great at it haha). I think Lip would make an awesome character with a unique play style...plus more females? Why not!

Count me in as a supporter, here's hoping she makes it in this time around.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
My trailer for Lip

It's starts with Yoshi, Kirby and Pikachu fighting in a Forrest area, Yoshi throws some eggs, Pikachu dodge rolls and counters with a Thunder Jolt, Yoshi jumps over, the two run at each other, Kirby turns into a garbage block between them frightening the two, making them jump back, when SUDDENLY! another block falls on Kirby, Yoshi and Pikachu inspect the block with a puzzled look, another drops down and then another, and another until a giant wall is formed, from the other side comes a shout,

http://youtu.be/EjdnJTExL-Q?t=7m44s

Lip flying kicks through the block wall in slow motion, shot of Yoshi and Pikachu suprised, Lip skids to halt, shot of boots, shot of her bow bouncing, shot of her wand, close up of her eyes, pan out to fully show off Lip who twirls her wand and swings it into battle ready pose

LIP BLOSSOMS FORTH

shot of a garbage block trying to move

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

I've made some cute Lip fanart on MIiverse. I hope she and her loyal supporters like this. :3

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Did this for the P:M clone engine thread and thought you all could appreciate it too:

Lip (Panel de Pon): Another character I've silently supported since the pre-Brawl days. I've always wanted to see a character who could fight using constructs built on the fly and could also forcibly manipulate positioning on screen and who better to show this off than a character from Nintendo's famed "Puzzle League" lineage? She would conjure different kinds of panels that could act as anything from extensions to her wand to barriers to launch pads to falling presses. Utilizing this along with the mechanics allows her to influence an object's final positioning for mind games and on the fly advantages.

Jab: Swings her wand to the side, brings it back to the original side then does a short hop upward while striking up for the last swing. (Think of Toon Link's jabs/jab combo)

F-Tilt: Lip shoots a panel out of the end of her wand that travels a short distance before fading away.
UTilt: Lip twirls her wand out and above herself with multiple smaller panels appearing then disappearing with an effect similar to Lucas' forward tilt.
DTilt: Lip pokes her wand out and a small panel lifts off the ground underneath an opponent for a launch.

FSmash: Lip conjures a series of three panels (signified by square outlines gathering around the end of her flower wand) before releasing them forward. The panels push people a short distance away. When all three meet, they explode in a manner similar to lining up panels with similar shapes in Panel de Pon proper.The longer the charge time, the more powerful this explosion becomes as more panels (up to 5) slap against the lead panel and add more to her chain.
USmash: With a twirl of her wand up and over her head, she raises a panel outline out of the ground upward that rotates about her striking opponents into the air. The longer the charge, the wider the panel raised up.
DSmash: Lip gestures downward with her wand dropping two panels down on the ground in front of and behind herself. Charging the attack turns it into a multi hit move where up to three stacks drop one on top of the other with the last one launching characters away.

Dash Attack: Lip runs forward while holding her wand out horizontally with both hands. At this time a small panel barrier appears pushing people away.

B: Matching Blast: Lip conjures up and fires projectile panels (think of throwing cards except these are released from her wand's tip) forward. Holding B allows her to conjure up to 3 of these panels before releasing them and letting them fly forward. If three of the panels match up, a small explosion is generated on the opponent who was tagged by all three similar shaped projectile panels.
Forward B: Cursor: Lip holds her wand up high while a projectile in the form of one of the two panel cursors appears around herself. While holding the B button down, players can direct the cursor on screen until it highlights an opponent, item or interactive object on screen (think of Din's Fire with more precise control). When highlighted, the object becomes subject to Switch. Players can use two Cursors at any time.
Upward B: Rising Panels: A stack of PdP panels raises out of the ground launching her into the air. After being launched, she holds onto Watabou, the creature she dangles off of in her idle animation in the Panel de Pon intro screen and floats downward gently. She can force a fast fall (at the risk of being helpless) by smash DIing downward to detach from the tether.
Downward B: Switch: Lip will use her Flower Wand to swap the places of the interactive elements highlighted by her Cursor special as long as they are both within a certain range of one another. This is done by a pair of hands (the ones from Yoshi's Cookie) rotating them from underneath.

Nair: A sex kick performed with a PdP panel Lip generates in front of her extended leg.
Fair: Lip swings her wand forward and downward in a manner similar to Ike's forward air. At the end of her wand is a flat panel that acts like the broad end of a fly swatter.
Bair: Swings her wand backwards in a manner similar to Roy's bair. The same flyswatter effect is in play here as the end of her flower wand gives off a disjointed panel for additional reach.
Uair: Lip swings her wand in a crescent above herself similar to Marth's up air. A multitude of smaller PdP panels are fired from the tip making this move a multi hit attack.
Dair: Does a quick two legged stomp similar to Luigi's down air while generating a "platform" made of a wide Panel. Spikes opponents.

Grab: Lip enchants the opponent with her wand lifting them into the air.
Grab Attack: Lip slaps them on the head with her wand.
UThrow: Lip gestures low to the ground then sharply raises up as a panel slings the caught opponent upward as if they were standing on a platform.
DThrow: Lip conjures a four panel stack before having it drop on top of the opponent grounding them.
FThrow: Lip conjures a single panel that rams into the caught opponent, knocking them forward.
BThrow: Lip enchants a panel around the tip of her wand and swinging the wand like a fly swatter, she moves in front of the enchanted foe before swinging the makeshift weapon at the back of their head.

Clone base: Toon Link for her model and some animations, panel effects can be cloned from the effects of Lucas' PK Love smash attacks. Her dandelion tuft can be cloned from a Waddle Dee.
I could probably make it more original with time, but what do you all think?

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Here's how I'd imagine her reveal trailer would play out. (It would have to be released after Yoshi is revealed, though, for reasons that will become evident.)

The Smash Bros. fiery sword-slash screen fades out to a close-up on Bowser's face, pulling back to reveal a blue Yoshi's Island sky behind him as he unleashes a mighty roar. The camera flips to an over-the-shoulder shot from behind and to the right of the Koopa King to reveal Yoshi, flanked on either side by Mario and Pikachu, standing some five feet in front of him and assuming battle-ready poses. Mario adjusts his hat and charges a fireball in his hand, Pikachu's cheeks crackle with electricity, and Yoshi puts on the best game face a cute green dinosaur can. Bowser charges in for a claw attack, but Yoshi and co. act fast, leaping well out of range of the swipe and responding with volleys of their own. Brawl's "Yoshi's Island Athletic" theme begins to play as Koopa pursues, both sides trading attacks at the frenetic pace expected of the series.

The music cuts out suddenly as something of interest catches Yoshi's eye. We whip pan to follow his gaze: lying in a patch of light undergrowth several yards away is a familiar flower-shaped wand. Obviously intending to gain the upper hand, he dashes off towards the fallen item as Mario and Pikachu stare after in confusion.

Seconds before Yoshi is able to grab it up, however, the wand is snatched away by an unknown fifth party, leaving him to fall flat on his large green nose. A pair of brown boots lands on the ground in front of Yoshi, the legs perhaps framing him. We cut to his POV, slowly panning up to reveal who else but our favorite little fairy. With a big smile, she reaches a hand down to help the dinosaur up. Yoshi looks mildly awestruck, but accepts the girl's offering and dusts himself off as Mario and Pikachu rejoin the duo.

In the blink of an eye, Bowser crashes loudly down behind the group, growling dangerously and snorting flames. Lip stares in awe of the king. While she doesn't appear to know quite what to make of this new threat, she can gather that her three new friends need her help, and so leaps into action. The fairy charges ahead through the group to attack, surprise visible on the veteran trio's faces. A POV shot of Lip charging the look of intimidation Bowser now sports - or rather, the lack thereof. He charges up a fire breath attack... but before he has time to rain fire down on the little princess, she is upon him With three good hits from Lip's flower rod, Bowser is sent

Lip takes a moment to admire her handiwork and turns back to Mario, Yoshi, and Pikachu - and by extension, the viewer. She twirls her stick about and points it to the sky. "Yatta!"

As her theme song begins to play in all its glory, the familiar starburst background and paint-splotched newcomer text appears behind the fairy:

Lip Pops In!

After the requisite display of gameplay footage and "SUPER SMASH BROS. for WII U/NINTENDO 3DS" logo, we're shown a brief sequence of Lip riding on Yoshi's back as Mario looks on, Pikachu taking a victory nap off to the side. Bowser plummets back to earth in the far background, a large flower now gracing his head. Fade to black.

----

On an unrelated note, I found this Legends of Localization article regarding Japanese reactions to Little Mac. Obscurity can't be counted against Lip's chances anymore: although there are some Japanese gamers that know who Little Mac is, the majority of them seem to have never heard of him. It gives me a warm feeling on the inside knowing that when/if Lip is revealed as newcomer, this situation will be reversed - Japanese and some Western fans (including us!) will be tickled pink, while others won't know who she is at all, although many will doubtlessly be willing to give her a chance. (Then, of course, there's the inevitable third group who will complain that someone "they've never heard of" was revealed instead of, say, Ridley... or Goku, though I'd like to keep discussion of potential newcomers limited to those who actually have a chance of making it into the game.)

What do you think?

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Here's how I'd imagine her reveal trailer would play out. (It would have to be released after Yoshi is revealed, though, for reasons that will become evident.)

The Smash Bros. fiery sword-slash screen fades out to a close-up on Bowser's face, pulling back to reveal a blue Yoshi's Island sky behind him as he unleashes a mighty roar. The camera flips to an over-the-shoulder shot from behind and to the right of the Koopa King to reveal Yoshi, flanked on either side by Mario and Pikachu, standing some five feet in front of him and assuming battle-ready poses. Mario adjusts his hat and charges a fireball in his hand, Pikachu's cheeks crackle with electricity, and Yoshi puts on the best game face a cute green dinosaur can. Bowser charges in for a claw attack, but Yoshi and co. act fast, leaping well out of range of the swipe and responding with volleys of their own. Brawl's "Yoshi's Island Athletic" theme begins to play as Koopa pursues, both sides trading attacks at the frenetic pace expected of the series.

The music cuts out suddenly as something of interest catches Yoshi's eye. We whip pan to follow his gaze: lying in a patch of light undergrowth several yards away is a familiar flower-shaped wand. Obviously intending to gain the upper hand, he dashes off towards the fallen item as Mario and Pikachu stare after in confusion.

Seconds before Yoshi is able to grab it up, however, the wand is snatched away by an unknown fifth party, leaving him to fall flat on his large green nose. A pair of brown boots lands on the ground in front of Yoshi, the legs perhaps framing him. We cut to his POV, slowly panning up to reveal who else but our favorite little fairy. With a big smile, she reaches a hand down to help the dinosaur up. Yoshi looks mildly awestruck, but accepts the girl's offering and dusts himself off as Mario and Pikachu rejoin the duo.

In the blink of an eye, Bowser crashes loudly down behind the group, growling dangerously and snorting flames. Lip stares in awe of the king. While she doesn't appear to know quite what to make of this new threat, she can gather that her three new friends need her help, and so leaps into action. The fairy charges ahead through the group to attack, surprise visible on the veteran trio's faces. A POV shot of Lip charging the look of intimidation Bowser now sports - or rather, the lack thereof. He charges up a fire breath attack... but before he has time to rain fire down on the little princess, she is upon him With three good hits from Lip's flower rod, Bowser is sent

Lip takes a moment to admire her handiwork and turns back to Mario, Yoshi, and Pikachu - and by extension, the viewer. She twirls her stick about and points it to the sky. "Yatta!"

As her theme song begins to play in all its glory, the familiar starburst background and paint-splotched newcomer text appears behind the fairy:

Lip Pops In!

After the requisite display of gameplay footage and "SUPER SMASH BROS. for WII U/NINTENDO 3DS" logo, we're shown a brief sequence of Lip riding on Yoshi's back as Mario looks on, Pikachu taking a victory nap off to the side. Bowser plummets back to earth in the far background, a large flower now gracing his head. Fade to black.

----

On an unrelated note, I found this Legends of Localization article regarding Japanese reactions to Little Mac. Obscurity can't be counted against Lip's chances anymore: although there are some Japanese gamers that know who Little Mac is, the majority of them seem to have never heard of him. It gives me a warm feeling on the inside knowing that when/if Lip is revealed as newcomer, this situation will be reversed - Japanese and some Western fans (including us!) will be tickled pink, while others won't know who she is at all, although many will doubtlessly be willing to give her a chance. (Then, of course, there's the inevitable third group who will complain that someone "they've never heard of" was revealed instead of, say, Ridley... or Goku, though I'd like to keep discussion of potential newcomers limited to those who actually have a chance of making it into the game.)

What do you think?
Well....didn't Sakurai state that he doesn't like to include Japanese only/centric characters? I feel if Sakurai didn't care about obscurity than Marth and Roy would have initially been planned for the overseas release of Melee and characters like Saki and Starfy would be "shoo-ins" based on Japanese popularity (but yeah, this clearly isn't the case).

However, I personally feel that if the character is important or relevant enough to Nintendo's history than it really shouldn't matter whether they are obscure in one region or another. To me, this is Punch Out!. Punch Out! certainly is an important part of Nintendo's history and sort of deserved to be represented IMO. MY question is, what/who is it that Sakurai considers deserving enough? It may seem unfair, or subjective, (K. Rool and Ridley fans certainly know the feeling) but it is Sakurai who really as the "final say"...I'm hoping Lip is a character at least considered. Heck, even if she doesn't make it in, I would be somewhat satisfied for Sakurai to come out and say that she was at one point considered (which could sorta show that obscurity being a hurdle for Smash is not what it is cracked up to be considering Lip's origins.) Considering the roster has pretty much been decided at this point, all we can do now is wait.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well....didn't Sakurai state that he doesn't like to include Japanese only/centric characters? I feel if Sakurai didn't care about obscurity than Marth and Roy would have initially been planned for the overseas release of Melee and characters like Saki and Starfy would be "shoo-ins" based on Japanese popularity (but yeah, this clearly isn't the case).

However, I personally feel that if the character is important or relevant enough to Nintendo's history than it really shouldn't matter whether they are obscure in one region or another. To me, this is Punch Out!. Punch Out! certainly is an important part of Nintendo's history and sort of deserved to be represented IMO. MY question is, what/who is it that Sakurai considers deserving enough? It may seem unfair, or subjective, (K. Rool and Ridley fans certainly know the feeling) but it is Sakurai who really as the "final say"...I'm hoping Lip is a character at least considered. Heck, even if she doesn't make it in, I would be somewhat satisfied for Sakurai to come out and say that she was at one point considered (which could sorta show that obscurity being a hurdle for Smash is not what it is cracked up to be considering Lip's origins.) Considering the roster has pretty much been decided at this point, all we can do now is wait.
Doesn't Lucas kinda destroy this entire argument?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah, the Mother series has gotten some Western exposure but Lucas's game was never released over here (plus Mother 3 wasn't even that popular in Japan, to my knowledge).

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I fixed my move set some more. I'd love to hear what you guys thought of it all.

peachy!

super princess
Something of a compromise between her old design and a slight redesign, so pretty much just a redesign, but not to the extent of Pit.
My thoughts exactly. Slight new details wouldn’t bother me, such as the shiny stars in Rosalina’s dress, but a complete overhaul is not needed.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well at least it appears Puzzle League/PdP seems pretty much an oddball favourite by Sakurai in Smash as we keep seeing references to it until now, and even then he's highly approval of the series. He seems to even lament the fact that the series isn't much well-known, even if stating outright "would Lip be even known", but that was back in SSB64-days. Who knows how much the opinions have changed.

On Mother, Sakurai clearly pushed for Lucas (for some reason), even going far as to presumably replace Ness with him. Alas the game didn't make it due development troubles.

Also FirstBlade had a marvelous concept for a trailer. I hope we get something similar IF Lip's lucky enough to make the cut.

Last edited:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Well at least it appears Puzzle League/PdP seems pretty much an oddball favourite by Sakurai in Smash as we keep seeing references to it until now, and even then he's highly approval of the series. He seems to even lament the fact that the series isn't much well-known, even if stating outright "would Lip be even known", but that was back in SSB64-days. Who knows how much the opinions have changed.

On Mother, Sakurai clearly pushed for Lucas (for some reason), even going far as to presumably replace Ness with him. Alas the game didn't make it due development troubles.

Also FirstBlade had a marvelous concept for a trailer. I hope we get something similar IF Lip's lucky enough to make the cut.
?, I don't think I've posted a trailer concept here yet, so I can't take credit for that.

Regarding Lucas, I kind of feel he is a slightly different case from Marth and Roy considering he hailed from an already represented series in Smash while Fire Emblem was a whole new series being implemented. Not to mention, Mother 3 (Earthbound 64 originally) was originally going to be released overseas and probably would have been if not for he terrible timing and the fact that it was stuck in "development hell" in its planning stages. Pre-Melee, this case was still true probably during Melee's development stages (I think Lucas was originally proposed to replace Ness?) This being said, Lip is clearly in a better position than FE probably was and other Japanese-only characters considering the game has actually had references in Smash and that there is a NA/PAL counterpart to it so there is that.

@ AEMehr AEMehr , you didn't read the 2nd part of my initial post did you? :(

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Beep beep I animate Beep Beep!!

^B - Cotton Flight
>B - Throw Bomb (from Warios Woods)
vB - Garbage Block falls in front
B - Throw Blocks
I will animate that out~

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Beep beep I animate Beep Beep!!

^B - Cotton Flight
>B - Throw Bomb (from Warios Woods)
vB - Garbage Block falls in front
B - Throw Blocks
I will animate that out~
Your animations are super cute!

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oh, so that's who Lip is! She seems like a cool character. I wish to support her.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Welcome aboard!

That reminds me, I need to ask one of the mods to help me out with the OP in this thread, it's still pretty frozen up for further editing.
Since the OP has exceeded the character limit, the only way out is for you to use Lord Vaati's post and move some of the content there.

If you wish, I'll transfer the ownership of lordvaati's post to you.

Top Bottom