• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I really feel that if the Switch is a success, it would be an ideal system to bring Lip and the entirety of Puzzle League back on.
Depends on how they'll present her. Though if going what we got now... I bit doubt Lip looks "ready" in the eyes of devs. She needs more time.

I think like what was said in the last page, the best way Lip would make a splash right now would be through Puzzle League with cross-franchise theme. Puzzle League has managed to seep itself very deep into other Nintendo IPs by this point, so that might be most natural next step.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I really want to see them bring Lip back through a Puzzle League crossover like that. That's the best way to do it.

Have Lip be the star, but include a variety of other Nintendo mascots. In this situation I could see Lip eventually be considered for Smash, but not before. I would love to be proven wrong, though.

Having Lip get into the localization of this update is a very nice treat, though.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
While I'm definitely, definitely not going to get my hopes up for anything, I'm going to remain optimistic about this. Maybe it's a turning point in Nintendo's treatment of the series. We've been getting nothing but... well, nothing for going on 8 years, and then this suddenly turns up? In Animal Crossing, a series where the only outfits you can normally get are based on bigger names like Mario, Metroid, or Zelda? Maybe Nintendo finally views Panel de Pon as being properly retro now and is ready to bring the characters back out of the woodwork to appeal to nostalgia (and I think we're all more than ready here).

Oh my gosh, that's soooo sweet. ^^ I'm going to have to reblog that.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
While I'm definitely, definitely not going to get my hopes up for anything, I'm going to remain optimistic about this. Maybe it's a turning point in Nintendo's treatment of the series. We've been getting nothing but... well, nothing for going on 8 years, and then this suddenly turns up? In Animal Crossing, a series where the only outfits you can normally get are based on bigger names like Mario, Metroid, or Zelda? Maybe Nintendo finally views Panel de Pon as being properly retro now and is ready to bring the characters back out of the woodwork to appeal to nostalgia (and I think we're all more than ready here).
That indeed is the most certain possibility here, so I'm hoping the momentum gets picked up even further from there. Until so, I'll now enjoy having Medli in my town while we'll duke now and then out in Panepon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That indeed is the most certain possibility here, so I'm hoping the momentum gets picked up even further from there. Until so, I'll now enjoy having Medli in my town while we'll duke now and then out in Panepon.
Me too... the momentum must continue but we must be cautiously optimistic. Remember when people thought Takamaru and Balloon Fighter were the most-likely retro characters for SSB4 because Nintendo were giving them some love before SSB4 development even started? We were wrong but at least we got my most-wanted retro character in SSB4. :4duckhunt:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I agree, I'm not gonna let my hopes up, but I am still feeling rather hopeful about all of this...
I mean, this is the closest we have ever been to seeing a localized Lip. I'm still baffled there is an outfit for her that we can wear! I'm gonna be elated as hell if this momentum keeps up, and we see a bit more of Puzzle League/Panel de Pon in the future.
Though now that we are on the subject of Animal Crossing... Do you guys know how to get the 3ds item? I'm having trouble finding it anywhere ^^;

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Though now that we are on the subject of Animal Crossing... Do you guys know how to get the 3ds item? I'm having trouble finding it anywhere ^^;
From what I heard, it's one of the new Fortune Cookie-exclusive items.

I somehow got lucky enough to receive a Black Wii U at my first try during getting one since ages.

Last edited:

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
It is also possible to obtains one by buy it in a caravan with an Animal Crossing amiibo.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Depends on how they'll present her. Though if going what we got now... I bit doubt Lip looks ready in the eyes of devs.

I think like what was said in the last page, the best way Lip would make a splash right now would be through Puzzle League with cross-franchise theme. Puzzle League has managed to seep itself very deep to other Nintendo IPs by this point, anyway, so that might be most natural next step.
I suppose so. Maybe they should start reviving Lip and Puzzle League as a whole on mobile first? What do you all think?

Me too... the momentum must continue but we must be cautiously optimistic. Remember when people thought Takamaru and Balloon Fighter were the most-likely retro characters for SSB4 because Nintendo were giving them some love before SSB4 development even started? We were wrong but at least we got my most-wanted retro character in SSB4. :4duckhunt:
And let's be honest. At the time, aside from characters like Lip herself, who expected to see THIS guy (:4duckhunt:) in ANY video game ever again after Duck Hunt, let alone Smash?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I suppose so. Maybe they should start reviving Lip and Puzzle League as a whole on mobile first? What do you all think?

And let's be honest. At the time, aside from characters like Lip herself, who expected to see THIS guy (:4duckhunt:) in ANY video game ever again after Duck Hunt, let alone Smash?
To be fair he was a worldwide character.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Marth is a better comparison, yeah. A member of a less popular Nintendo series (at the time) that was completely unknown outside of Japan. Of course, this was back in 2001 when games were still made more with a Japanese audience in mind than an international one, and we do know lack of notoriety worldwide is a reason to exclude characters from the playable roster these days. (Takamaru is an assist trophy for exactly this reason.)

Then again, no one was expecting Lip to have an outfit in Animal Crossing either, and Puzzle League itself is an international series (Panepon itself almost was before some weirdo canceled the international release of Nintendo Puzzle Collection), so... I dunno, anything could happen.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Well Duck Hunt did sort of get revived in Wii Play, although it was more Mii themed and while the duck was present, the dog itself didn't appear but yeah.....
This should also be kept in mind yeah. But hopefully Puzzle League will get a bit more of a presence in the next Smash though....

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Marth and Lucas were Japan exclusive before Smash.
While this is true, its not a very good comparison.

Here are the problems with arguing Marth and Lucas:

1.) Fire Emblem was still a fairly big IP in Japan, and they weren't planning on bringing Marth over. They eventually reluctantly brought him over. It also had 5 games already, with a 6th released just after Melee.

2.) Earthbound had already been localized. Also, Lucas was planned to replace Ness in Melee, and Earthbound 64 was supposed to be a worldwide release before it got cancelled.

While Panel de Pon has always been a worldwide released IP, the characters have been replaced every time in localization, its a much smaller IP than FE, and because the characters never once got localized, that hurt Lip as well.

If Panel de Pon had been localized with Lip to begin with, she likely would've been playable in Smash by now given that its a longer running IP than Mother and has had consistent western localizations. But bad circumstances have consistently prevented that from happening because its constantly getting localized with characters from other IP's.

Hopefully this Lip costume being worldwide says at least a little something about a shift in perspective. But I can't help but recall what Joshy said when I randomly decided to watch his video on the Animal Crossing direct:

"Hey, that's the girl from Captain Rainbow!"

Granted, that's how I knew it was Lip. That was during the AC Puzzle League segment and it showed a villager model, but I didn't realize she was dressed as Lip (I didn't pay that close attention) until he said that and I was like "wait, wtf?!" and went back to check.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hopefully this Lip costume being worldwide says at least a little something about a shift in perspective. But I can't help but recall what Joshy said when I randomly decided to watch his video on the Animal Crossing direct:

"Hey, that's the girl from Captain Rainbow!"

Granted, that's how I knew it was Lip. That was during the AC Puzzle League segment and it showed a villager model, but I didn't realize she was dressed as Lip (I didn't pay that close attention) until he said that and I was like "wait, wtf?!" and went back to check.
Heh, I remember Josh playing Captain Rainbow before. Speaking which, the english translation script's been long finished, but the patching to the game has gone to someone else.

Possibly. Seems like a very fitting market. Though I wonder if the game's rather steep learning curve might be turn-off to some. IDK. Haven't seen how it goes down with likes of Candy Crush or other big $$$ puzzlers today.

Well, he was kind of cultural figure in the gaming community. Moreso on West due the whole SMB + Duck Hunt-bundle back in NES-days .Also possible successor to Icies as they weren't entirely functional on 3DS, it seems.

Though being aware of what happened with
Billy Hatcher, (SEGA) Tarosuke (Namco), Upa (Konami), Ptolemy (Taito)... Duck Hunt is little more notable despite being out of the wazoo to some.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I wouldn't mind Panel de Pon seeing a comeback on mobile, as long as they do something like what they're doing with Super Mario Run (a couple of features available for free as a "trial", buy the entire rest of the game if you decide you like it) and don't drown it in freemium BS.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I was telling a few of my colleagues in my Panepon Skype group that if we want Lip to have any chance of getting in SSB5, we need to start the push early. Assuming the rumors of the Switch Smash aren't true (they probably aren't), we're still a few years away from the next game, so I think we should get a campaign, a rallying cry, maybe a hashtag or something? together ASAP to build awareness and interest in her potentially unique style of gameplay.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I was telling a few of my colleagues in my Panepon Skype group that if we want Lip to have any chance of getting in SSB5, we need to start the push early. Assuming the rumors of the Switch Smash aren't true (they probably aren't), we're still a few years away from the next game, so I think we should get a campaign, a rallying cry, maybe a hashtag or something? together ASAP to build awareness and interest in her potentially unique style of gameplay.
I disagree. I fully believe its coming as a port with new content as an early Switch title. Smash is a difficult game to make, and given how lackluster Wii U was, this is the perfect opportunity to simply take the existing game and add new content to it/refine the existing content a tad. I've been fully expecting a Switch/NX enhanced port ever since Smash Wii U released tbh.

The rumors never surprised me, especially given that Namco was hiring for a supposed "Smash 6" (this was a REAL job posting) before Smash Wii U/3DS was released. Given that Skurai stated in the past he considers Smash 3DS as "Smash 4" and Smash Wii U as "Smash 5", no, "Smash 6" would not be out of place.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I see where you're coming from. I just don't think it's very likely, since only Melee has been a launch title (or nearly so) out of all four Smash Bros. games and development times have shot up since its release.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
He/she wasn't really do seriously wrong, it’s just that he/she is going a little overboard tweeting about Sakurai reviving Panel de Pon because he said he was making a game for the Switch. I know it's wrong to tell someone to stop discussing something they’re passionate about, but he/she was worrying me at the moment.
Also, is your sig an allusion to Panepon? It seems like it could be...
Yeah. The quote is from a book about the growing interest in fairies during the Victorian period, “Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness.” The connection to Panel de Pon is uncanny.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sakurai isn't going to revive Panel de Pon lol. If anyone does it that'll be Intelligent Systems.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sakurai isn't going to revive Panel de Pon lol. If anyone does it that'll be Intelligent Systems.
It never stops being hilarious to observe various fans trying to request "revival of franchises" to poor Sakurai these days, especially coming from the fact that Nintendo itself hasn't bothered continuing the momentum that Kid Icarus Uprising had brought to KI-series in general - and how Uprising didn't use to have Kid Icarus at first place.

In whole, give some cheers to Nintendo and I.S for deciding to push PDP a little more than it used to after having the choice to leave it in dormancy all these years - especially when they had more profitable and well-known Pushmo-series as their current puzzlers. :025:

Still trying to get myself that New 3DS in my New Leaf, any other ways than getting it from fortune cookies? I got actually ANOTHER Black Wii U from the other fortune cookie lately.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It never stops being hilarious to observe various fans trying to request "revival of franchises" to poor Sakurai these days, especially coming from the fact that Nintendo itself hasn't bothered continuing the momentum that Kid Icarus Uprising had brought to KI-series in general - and how Uprising didn't use to have Kid Icarus at first place.

In whole, give some cheers to Nintendo and I.S for deciding to push PDP a little more than it used to after having the choice to leave it in dormancy all these years - especially when they had more profitable and well-known Pushmo-series as their current puzzlers. :025:

Still trying to get myself that New 3DS in my New Leaf, any other ways than getting it from fortune cookies? I got actually ANOTHER Black Wii U from the other fortune cookie lately.
It is a bit silly to expect Sakurai to start reviving various dormant franchises left an right just because he revived one dormant franchise before. Poor guy can't catch a break, first he created the Kirby franchise with Nintendo wanting him to pour out sequels for it to a point he decided to leave HAL, then the Smash Bros franchise that the fans want sequels of on a regular basis, and now everyone wants him to revive every dormant series under the sun that haven't received a new game in years ever since he revived kid icarus....

It's nice that the actual original creators of panel de pon are doing something for the series though and giving Lip a friendly nod along with that when, like you said, they could have just stuck with the pushmo franchise as their primary puzzle game.

From what I've heard, you can also get the new 3DS by scanning in an animal crossing amiibo. Probably much easier but you'll have to purchase one of the amiibo first if you don't have any.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It is a bit silly to expect Sakurai to start reviving various dormant franchises left an right just because he revived one dormant franchise before. Poor guy can't catch a break, first he created the Kirby franchise with Nintendo wanting him to pour out sequels for it to a point he decided to leave HAL, then the Smash Bros franchise that the fans want sequels of on a regular basis, and now everyone wants him to revive every dormant series under the sun that haven't received a new game in years ever since he revived kid icarus....

It's nice that the actual original creators of panel de pon are doing something for the series though and giving Lip a friendly nod along with that when, like you said, they could have just stuck with the pushmo franchise as their primary puzzle game.

From what I've heard, you can also get the new 3DS by scanning in an animal crossing amiibo. Probably much easier but you'll have to purchase one of the amiibo first if you don't have any.
It wasn't even supposed to be Kid Icarus either. It was supposed to be a Star Fox game at first.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's not every day you see an established franchise turned into a revival of a second, more obscure one, instead of the other way around. I guess Smash Bros. helped, though.

I have to wonder if Sakurai's Switch game is the new SSB there have been rumors of, though. Maybe the fourth time will be the charm for us?

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I have to wonder if Sakurai's Switch game is the new SSB there have been rumors of, though. Maybe the fourth time will be the charm for us?
I just assumed that it was either going to be KI:U 2 or a Mysterious Murasame Castle reboot, but Smash is a possibility.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Figured you all would want to see this.
Link to the tweet
This is honestly the biggest thing I've EVER seen someone do for Panel de Pon in a long time! This is really cute! Was it for some sort of Japanese cosplay convention? I REEEALLY want to say this is some sort of promotion from Nintendo themselves, but I sadly think that it might be wishful thinking there.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's not every day you see an established franchise turned into a revival of a second, more obscure one, instead of the other way around. I guess Smash Bros. helped, though.

Frankly I do assume Sakurai's Switch game is the new SSB. It could be he's only supervising that loosely, though, and he is working on a separate game.

Figured you all would want to see this.
Link to the tweet
Wow, that's... really cool. I wouldn't have expected anything like this.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I know, it's a really good and cute cosplay! It's nice to know that there are still plenty of Panepon fans over in Japan who would band together to do something like this.

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
After watching a YouTube video of Panel de Pon and seeing a Japanese group cosplay of it, I now have two fantastic franchises that I hope would one day see the light of day in the U.S...

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
After watching a YouTube video of Panel de Pon and seeing a Japanese group cosplay of it, I now have two fantastic franchises that I hope would one day see the light of day in the U.S...
Panel de Pon has been in the US since the very first title, they're just always localized under a different name and with different characters.

The original Panel de Pon (where Lip appeared) was localized as "Tetris Attack" with all the fairy characters replaced by Yoshi's Island characters. Ever since then the series has been localized under the name "Puzzle League," with the likes of "Pokemon Puzzle League" and "Puzzle League Express". Note that all of these games still have the name "Panel de Pon" in Japan, whether they have the fairies or not.

Technically, Lip's first official appearance outside of the US has been in Animal Crossing: New Leaf with the "Welcome Amiibo" and Animal Crossing Puzzle League update, where by beating Animal Crossing: Puzzle League you can unlock a full Lip costume your character can wear. Furil had a sticker in Smash Bros. Brawl that was named "Lip" by mistake, though. And Lip's Stick (Lip's wand) has been a staple of Smash since Melee.

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
Panel de Pon has been in the US since the very first title, they're just always localized under a different name and with different characters.

The original Panel de Pon (where Lip appeared) was localized as "Tetris Attack" with all the fairy characters replaced by Yoshi's Island characters. Ever since then the series has been localized under the name "Puzzle League," with the likes of "Pokemon Puzzle League" and "Puzzle League Express". Note that all of these games still have the name "Panel de Pon" in Japan, whether they have the fairies or not.

Technically, Lip's first official appearance outside of the US has been in Animal Crossing: New Leaf with the "Welcome Amiibo" and Animal Crossing Puzzle League update, where by beating Animal Crossing: Puzzle League you can unlock a full Lip costume your character can wear. Furil had a sticker in Smash Bros. Brawl that was named "Lip" by mistake, though. And Lip's Stick (Lip's wand) has been a staple of Smash since Melee.
Thanks for the info; I found all that out upon watching a video on YouTube.
Plus, when I mentioned "two franchises", I was referring to one other title not related to Panel de Pon.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Panel de Pon does legitimately need to be released outside of Japan unedited, though (an actual Panepon game, not more Planet crap). Even if it's under the Puzzle League name.

It's always good to welcome someone new into the fan community!

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well, I was bored and had nothing better to do, so I decided to do a write-up for a Windy assist trophy. Then the trophy description for said assist trophy. Then another trophy. It's nothing great, but I figure you guys would like to see it anyway.

Intro: When Windy is summoned, she floats up into the air with a little twirl and says "ウィンディー来た!" ("Here comes Windy!") After this, she floats in place using her wind magic. She can fly from platform to platform, either on her own every now and then or if she's attacked.
Exit: After about five attacks total, Windy will disappear on her own, waving energetically and saying "バイバイ!" ("Bye bye!") before flying off into the sky.
Like some other Assist Trophies, Windy can be KO'ed if she takes more than about 35% damage. This causes her to fly backwards some distance with a surprised look, then put her hands on her hips and say "悪いよね" ("You're mean!") before disappearing.

-Skills-
[Wind Blast] Windy's primary effect on the battle. Windy will point in a direction and make a "whoosh!"ing noise, causing the entire stage to be covered with a moderately-sized pushing wind box in the direction she's facing. This wind effect lasts a set amount of time--about five seconds--and affects all fighters, even the summoner. If Windy is attacked early enough (in the first two seconds of the wind blast), the wind effect will be interrupted as she flinches and moves away.
[Thundercloud] Windy uses this attack after every two or three wind blasts. She tenses her body, then splays out her arms and legs, shouting "雷雲!" ("Thundercloud!") and creating a small thundercloud above her. This thundercloud floats to above a random fighter and, after a pause of around two seconds, strikes the ground beneath it twice with bolts of lightning that deal 10% electric damage with some knockback. The second bolt comes about a second after the first, and the cloud vanishes shortly after both strikes. Like all Assist Trophy attacks, the thunderclouds cannot target or even affect the summoner. If Windy is attacked at any point during the "casting animation", the attack will fail and no thundercloud will spawn.

Windy
[Description: Windy points forward. This is identical to both the pose she assumes when using her Wind Blast move and the pose she takes in her two-player backdrop in the original Panel de Pon.]
A wind fairy from the Japan-only puzzle game Panel de Pon and a good friend of Lip's. Like most of the other fairies, she was placed under a diabolical spell that Lip had to save her from. In Smash Bros., she'll blow the fighters around with her wind magic and create tiny thunderstorms to light up your foes' lives! ...No, wait, just their bodies.
[SNES] Panel de Pon (1995 - Japan)

Lip (Captain Rainbow)
[Description: Lip poses with her flower rod. The model, as with the Little Mac (Captain Rainbow) trophy, is ported directly from Captain Rainbow, although the underside of her skirt is blacked out.]
Lip came to Mimin Island from Popplis to hone her skills in magic, but the only thing she ended up honing was her immune system. Now she's saddled with a nasty pollen allergy! The irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife... Better give the poor fairy a hand before she has to find a new calling in life.
[Wii] Captain Rainbow (2008 - Japan)

Top Bottom