• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Getting a Mii costume is a fate worse than death. Just ask the K. Rool fans.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's a message that Sakurai is aware of the fans, he can't answer every request through character development means, at the least a Mii costume would be incredibly grateful to have.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Even if we end getting a Mii costume, we should be aware that even though that'll really hurt her chances as DLC in the end it will give Lip tons of exposure that'll boost her chances for the next Smash game

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Er, you do realize its October 3rd, right? That's a little more than a week and a half. Its not even two weeks until the ballot ends now.
That's what I meant. Stupid typos.

It's been one month to the day since I posted the "Vote 4 Lip" image. Two notes. I'm starting to think the blog is starting to lose whatever steam it had... Regardless, the "Hurry" image is up now.

---

I really hope Lip isn't a Mii costume. I can't even say it's better than nothing. After all we've done for her it'd be a huge slap in the face for her to end up being a periphery to another character. We've had to put up with the fairies not getting any respect or recognition since... oh, 2001 at the earliest (when most of us found out about Panel de Pon through Melee). These past 8 years or so have been especially trying for us fairy fans, and a crappy Mii wig and costume in lieu of anything that had actual effort put into it will do this fandom no favors at all - especially since she'd likely end up as a outfit for the swordfighter, AKA the worst fighter in the entire game. I'd take no Lip-related DLC at all over a Mii costume, honestly. (Actual DLC fighter is the best-case scenario, of course - knock on wood, fingers crossed, etc.!)

As an assist trophy maybe.
As a fighter, maybe.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Frankly I disagree, I think Lip getting a Mii Fighter costume would be a GOOD thing because it'd actually give her recognition. As it stands, we're likely not going to see her AT ALL. Personally I think it'd be a good thing, but obviously no one here agrees with me. For me, its the same as Isaac; he's got no recognition in-game at all. Getting some recognition is far better than getting forgotten entirely.

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
An AT or a simple trophy could be better than a stupid Mii costume, though I would prefer a fighter of course.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Frankly I disagree, I think Lip getting a Mii Fighter costume would be a GOOD thing because it'd actually give her recognition. As it stands, we're likely not going to see her AT ALL. Personally I think it'd be a good thing, but obviously no one here agrees with me. For me, its the same as Isaac; he's got no recognition in-game at all. Getting some recognition is far better than getting forgotten entirely.
I have to be honest, I...would REALLY at least want a Mii Fighter outfit. Heck, it shows that Nintendo HASN'T forgotten about Lip in thtse past 8 years. So, yeah. I agree with you.

An AT or a simple trophy could be better than a stupid Mii costume, though I would prefer a fighter of course.
Heck, I'll even take a gosh-darn TROPHY for corn's sake! Seriously, SOMETHING, ANYTHING to show Lip isn't totally dead to Nintendo!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I just can't agree with you, Jaidyn. I'd like to, but I can't. Like I said - I'll take what I can get, but I'd actually prefer not getting any Lip-related DLC at all. If we want the series to move into the mainstream, then Lip needs to be associated with Panel de Pon. Right now, people by and large associate either Pokémon or Yoshi with that series, or think it has no mascot at all. If Lip is in any of SSB4's dowloadable content, then she should represent herself and her own series, not Miis. Most people won't be downloading Mii costumes, anyway, unless they're really huge fans of the character represented - and they definitely won't be buying a Mii costume of a relatively obscure character. Lip stands a better chance of being recognized, and the Puzzle League series stands a better chance at revival, if she's her own character and not a skin for another.

I know it's a long shot considering how much popular many other characters are, but there's plenty of moveset potential and uniqueness inherent to this character, and that's what's looked at when the time comes to make a newcomer. It's why Heihachi was passed up but Ryu made it in.

All we can really do is cross our fingers and hope the dev team takes notice of our small but heartfelt pleas, I guess. Or spam the poll, but that's dishonest.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I just can't agree with you, Jaidyn. I'd like to, but I can't. Like I said - I'll take what I can get, but I'd actually prefer not getting any Lip-related DLC at all. If we want the series to move into the mainstream, then Lip needs to be associated with Panel de Pon. Right now, people by and large associate either Pokémon or Yoshi with that series, or think it has no mascot at all. If Lip is in any of SSB4's dowloadable content, then she should represent herself and her own series, not Miis. Most people won't be downloading Mii costumes, anyway, unless they're really huge fans of the character represented - and they definitely won't be buying a Mii costume of a relatively obscure character. Lip stands a better chance of being recognized, and the Puzzle League series stands a better chance at revival, if she's her own character and not a skin for another.

I know it's a long shot considering how much popular many other characters are, but there's plenty of moveset potential and uniqueness inherent to this character, and that's what's looked at when the time comes to make a newcomer. It's why Heihachi was passed up but Ryu made it in.

All we can really do is cross our fingers and hope the dev team takes notice of our small but heartfelt pleas, I guess. Or spam the poll, but that's dishonest.
Not getting any representation at all simply means that Nintendo doesn't give two ****s about the original Panel de Pon. That's really all that comes of it. What benefit does it hold to Panel de Pon for her to get overlooked completely?

The further along we get with nothing related to Panel de Pon at all, the less likely it is to actually ever happen. We need something, ANYTHING. A Mii Fighter costume would still show her being from Panel de Pon just as much as any other form of representation.

PsychoJosh

I agree with N. Onymous. There exists a threshhold for DLC where something could actually be worse than nothing at all. Relegating Lip to a costume doesn't mean her recognizability will be increased. Just because there are Flying Man costumes from Earthbound for the Mii Fighters doesn't mean more people are going to recognize Flying Man.

Imagine if the only bit of Panel de Pon related DLC was a tiny update that caused Lip to show up as a bumper sticker on Wario's bike? You are making the argument that such an infinitesimally tiny acknowledgement like that would be better than nothing at all, to which I completely disagree. By doing something like this you are acknowledging that the character has a fanbase and you are actively going out of your way to look them in the eye and disregard them anyways. This is different from having no acknowledgment at all where it's possible that you simply aren't aware about them. There's a fine line between simple indifference and outright malice.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You gotta give an infinitesimally tiny acknowledgement

for an infinitesimally tiny fanbase.
I know this is a joke, but:

1. If our fanbase were infinitesimally tiny, we wouldn't have been able to find each other. Half of us wouldn't know about this series and this thread wouldn't even exist!
2. Honestly, we've been shafted and ignored for so long that if we're ever rewarded for our patience (and, unfortunately, that's a big if), it had better be a pretty damn good reward.

Two/three (I can't remember) days left. I'm honestly not feeling very good about our chances at all. But in the end that's a good thing, since in the past we've always, always been let down whenever we've gotten our hopes up.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
OK, It's official...I don't care what it takes. For goodness' sake, I will LEGIT take Lip as an AT or Mii Fighter outfit. I know it's a bit of a disservice to her, but I'm just not all that picky in terms of Lip anymore.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
We have Freedom Planet, an homage to classic Sonic and other classic Genesis games;
Mighty No. 9, a heavily Megaman-inspired sidescroller;
Yooka-Laylee, a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie and a return to collectathons;
A Hat in Time, a similar Banjo-Kazooie-inspired collectathon;
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, a game inspired by the original Castlevania titles;

But where's the spiritual successor to Panel de Pon?

It has a unbelievable amount of unexplored potential. In fact, it might literally the most unexplored potential of any game franchise considering the company that made it didn't even try to explore it from the day it was made.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
We have Freedom Planet, an homage to classic Sonic and other classic Genesis games;
Yooka-Laylee, a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie and a return to collectathons;
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, a game inspired by the original Castlevania titles;

You know you're comparing Panel de Pon to some of the biggest and most successful franchises in video game history. I mean Panel de Pon is good but its not at that caliber. Plus, why have a spiritual successor when you can just have a new Panel de Pon.

PsychoJosh

Even if Lip doesn't get in, have no tears.

For our love for her will never die~

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Plus, why have a spiritual successor when you can just have a new Panel de Pon.
Exactly! Why make a spiritual successor to Panel de Pon when you can just make a new game (RPG? Please?) in the same universe? There is so much potential for world-building and character development in the universe of Panel de Pon that just isn't being explored, not just by Nintendo but by anyone, and it's honestly saddening.

I could see Alpha Dream doing great things with the fairies in-between Mario & Luigi games,. The idea of playing a light-hearted goofy RPG puzzle game hybrid with Lip and friends as the player characters over a Yoko Shimomura soundtrack is enough to make me drool.

CH4F

Smash Cadet

It has a unbelievable amount of unexplored potential. In fact, it might literally the most unexplored potential of any game franchise considering the company that made it didn't even try to explore it from the day it was made.
Oh, just wait. Arcade Puzzle is a niche genre, but the games are easy to do. I'm sure some one would make another one.
If they do, I'll hope they'll improuve the concept and get rid of those very long rounds. The game is lacking a counter system, too.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well everyone...It's the FINAL DAY. I'm glad to have met all of you, and hopefully we see Lip in Smash or a new Puzzle League game in the future.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Only people who want their favorite characters to be actual unique fighters and not just skins for another ***** about Mii costumes.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The final stretch's here guys. I can only believe that we'll be doing Lip a great service through our support!!!

Because for being what she is today, it's not gonna be ignored, for sure. So most definitely, go us!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Now I guess it's just time to play the waiting game and find out who got in and who didn't. Time will tell if our efforts paid off.

They probably didn't, but hey, we tried, right? ^^;

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

A really early draft of that Lip-as-Inkling picture I posted about considering a couple of months ago. I decided to go in the opposite direction too and turn an Inkling into a fairy, heheh...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, if Lip were in Smash, do you all think she should be starter, unlockable, or DLC? If unlockable, what method would unlock her?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey guys, if Lip were in Smash, do you all think she should be starter, unlockable, or DLC? If unlockable, what method would unlock her?
Its a debate, but due to her obscurity I could see her as an unlockable. The only one I can't see is DLC.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Most likely an unlockable. Probably one of the last characters, like Duck Hunt or Game & Watch.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Its a debate, but due to her obscurity I could see her as an unlockable. The only one I can't see is DLC.
Really? Any ideas on how to unlock her? Only thing I can think of a the moment is complete some Captain Olimar-inspired event match or collect a certain amount of trophies, similar to R.O.B's unlock method in Brawl and Smash 4. The trophy idea is due to her obscurity and I noticed it would be a bit odd if Dr. Mario, Yoshi, or Pikachu had to do something specific to unlock her.

PsychoJosh

I'd just make her a starter. I'm not exactly a fan of unlocking characters in fighting games, and especially not with the labyrinthine methods they make for unlocking characters in Smash ("to unlock Lip, beat this mode under this time standing on one foot during a thunderstorm while chanting "how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood" in pig latin!"). I find it completely pointless and a hassle for the competitive community.

Last edited:
Top Bottom