• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Putting Your Art in Melee

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Hello, artists!

Have you ever thought about making a new costume for a character? But maybe you just didn't even know where to begin with such a task? Well, a few months ago I decided to learn how to texture hack Melee for a different project I was working on. Then I made some programs to make the process much easier. And now I've created a guide on the subject. I'm hoping that by making it more accessible and opening the idea up to folks, the community will see more -and higher quality- works. As it has been, the difficulty of hacking Melee has limited the numbers of those getting into it. And even of those who do, not a whole lot of them are actually artists too.

And keep in mind that the options aren't just limited to characters. You could re-skin a stage with a whole new theme, or change menus, and even fonts (since often they're actually images)!

Here's the thread for the guide. If you have any questions, just post. You can check out existing character costumes or put your own finished works on display here: the Official Melee Texture Hack Thread.

I'd love to see what some professional artists are capable of. ^_^

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Hello again! I'm back and bumping this old thread because I have since written a new program to make texture hacking Melee incredibly easy. Much easier than in the guide above. Basically, you don't need to know anything about texture hacking to use it. It's called DAT Texture Wizard (because primarily the files it deals with are of the .DAT format).

Every once in a while we get an artist who comes along and makes a pretty cool stage or fantastic character costumes. That's what I'm hoping for! I want to see some good use of this program, and I love seeing new good texture hacks. I figure that probably many people don't get into Melee texture hacking because (besides simply having other things queued up to work on) they haven't really thought about it, or because it might sound like a difficult or technical endeavor. Well now you've thought about it! And it's easy as pie. (Except I'm no cook, so I'd actually say it's even easier.)

You can check out some of my texture hacks here! And you might find some inspiration among some of the huge selection of Brawl hacks. I'm sure many of those could also turn out great in Melee. In particular, many of the mid & lower-tier characters are to this day still quite lacking in the area of quality costumes. If you made one now, you might even see it in the next version of 20XX, which will have many new costumes!

Many existing hacks can be found in the Official Melee Texture Hack Thread, and/or you can follow new releases on Modulous.net/melee.

If you like thinking outside the box, you could also consider removing parts of a model, for example with the improved Lumberjack Falcon, or making model parts transparent, like with @Minerali King Boo. You can learn how to do stuff like that here.

If you're interested, there is even a method to use Dolphin so that you can see the results of your texture changes in-game in near real-time.

Top Bottom