• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pushing kirby's punish game

does kirby suck?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral B is a good move indeed

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1000BlueKirby

Smash Rookie
I love playing melee kirby even tho his moves are bad and low reward (except swallowcyde, high risk high reward)

but I have noticed he dosen't have that many comboes like falco's pillar, more precisely his punish game is severly lacking. and so I have tried to come up with a compilation of moves that i've stolen on the internet and moves i tried myself on the cast.

(Note this list is incomplete and since this is purely anecdotal information, as time goes on and I put more and more effort on this post, it will become increasingly precise in matchup knowledge, those are comboes that work in friendlies, I will be attending tournaments soon enough and I will test these out myself to see first hand if they are indeed reliable)

Most of these work on floaties like marth or zelda. on characters like samus or jigs however most will not connect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
L'inutile : forward throw, Fair/uair
Cons: This never hits, don't do it.
The useless : Back throw, Bair.
Cons: This also never hit
Pro :back throw does come out slightly faster then foward throw so I guess it has a 1% sucess ratio.

L'optimal : Up throw>waveland down right after the upthrow when kirby is in the air, jump, UAIR/FAIR/BAIR
Pros: this some time on floaties, Mid-air depending on DI you can skip the waveland and just straight up attack after the throw on fast fallers. Is the safest throw in most situations.
Cons: dosen't work on fast faller, if you don't reset your jumps after your Up-throw and fall down, you WILL die as up-throw steals all your jump (fthrow does too btw), not a true combo

The satisfying : down throw > Missed tech, jab reset > hammer
Pros: It is pretty satisfying, it deals 26% unstalled, 30% if you double jab during the reset.
Cons: If your oppennent knows how to play the game at all they will tech this making it unreliable
(super floaties will just hit you out of downthrow, jigs will rest you under around 70 percent

k9' mango : Reverse UAIR>Bair,
Pros: this will hit often on most of the cast in low percents, Also i stole it from mango
Cons: does not work at all past 40%, uair has pretty weak range making it hard to land the intial hit,

Poor man's shine : uptilt > bair/uair
Pros: this works until around 60-70% on most of the cast,
Cons: better off reaper's combo in low percent, you can't multishine the up tilt, DI will make it hard to get the bair/uair

Poor man's shine spike : dtilt>dair near the ledge.
Pros: puts adversaries in uncomfortable situations. D-Tilt comes out very quick
Cons: D-air is a part of this, expect lag

Reaper's combo :a classic, Utilt x 1000,
Pros: u-tilt comes out very fast and can be turned around, Disjointed hitbox covers good height
Cons: super readable, can be DI'd and SDI'd out easily

The Shiek : f-tilt >turn around uptilt feel free to flow between your tilts as you please near the ledge, also if your oppennent dosen't know how to jump you can get free hits like reaper's
Pros: On the ledge oppennent tend to panic making this technique effective, forward tilt has decent reach and comes out fast
Cons: can easily be both DI and SDI'd out, one jump ruins this, 100% useless on floaties.

Fence Of Pain : another classic, B-air spam, this one is evil and is one of the easiests to pull off
Pros : Bair comes out fast, DI mostly will not save you, works on everyone
Cons : isn't a wall of pain but only a fence.

Kill Puff : Poor man's shine spike to down air spam, expect many down airs, best done when first down air is edge cancelled.
Pros: since you're using down air, jiggly puff has nothing that can hit you trying to hit her if you're enough above her, maybe a godly timed uair will collide with dair
Cons: You're using down air, have fun.

The dirty : This is a rest Or shield break punish not a combo at all but I thought it was worthy of mention, simply push your victim on the edge of the stage using kirby's walk animation, then swallowcyde them, if you don't have enough time to make it to the very edge dosen't matter, just swallow right away and jump (if you do have time to pull it off, jump off the stage backward and do a falling swallowcyde so they cannot escape.
Pros; Amazing rest punish if the oppenent mashes, if they don't, try the 0 frame SC anyway. will kill 100% a shield break near the edge on not a platform
Cons: timing based, Mashes affect Shield break lenghts, jigs can easily recover if this dosen't kill leaving you in a very bad spot

Dair Spam : Yeah, you spam down airs.
Pros: edge cancelling always appreciated when done sucessfully, this works especially well during UP-Bs
Cons: Predictable, Down-air has 18 frames of startup lag which is immense, down air can be meteor cancelled, following up with a bair/uair stage spike kills more often.

Mario smash 4 combo : uair, uair, uair, uair, just time them well, leads well into fences of pain. (make sure to reset your jumps by any mean necessary)

Pros: Linear, easy to do, leads into FoP
Cons: can be di'd out, jump consuming.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Totally lacking techchase section
Missed tech : low percent : Jab reset> hammer, optimal would be D-throw Regrab (NEVER D-throw on super floaties before 70%, FREE REST, and nairs.)
mid percent : Jab reset > poor man shine/reaper's combo
high percent : jab reset > smash depending on positioning, poor man's shine also may work

If sucessful tech roll > wavedash tech chase to Dtilt if too far
If coverable, Dthrow techchase, (if jigs, just uthrow)
If Sucessful tech in place : either reaper's combo or poor man's shine, always try to follow up into fence of pain.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
U-throw -> waveland -> aerial doesn't work on fast fallers (sometimes works on floaties, but it's not a combo). You have to tech chase after wavelanding. At some percents, you can u-throw -> (while still in midair from the throw) uair/fair/bair fast fallers if they don't DI away.

The future of Kirby's punish game, in my opinion, is the up-b vortex. (up-b uppercut hitbox, they miss the tech, jab reset to another up-b).

Last edited:

1000BlueKirby

Smash Rookie
U-throw -> waveland -> aerial doesn't work on fast fallers (sometimes works on floaties, but it's not a combo). You have to tech chase after wavelanding. At some percents, you can u-throw -> (while still in midair from the throw) uair/fair/bair fast fallers if they don't DI away.

The future of Kirby's punish game, in my opinion, is the up-b vortex. (up-b uppercut hitbox, they miss the tech, jab reset to another up-b).

I'm gonna play more with kirby's up-b, I'm more of a hammer user, thanks for the input, I'm gonna experiement with it today and post results.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yeah I like using wavedash back -> hammer for the offchance that people let themselves fall into the grounded hammer sweetspot. I still have yet to find good uses for the aerial hammer. I guess you can somewhat shield pressure people on platforms above you with it. Though shield dropping probably counters this pretty hard.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I like using wavedash back -> hammer for the offchance that people let themselves fall into the grounded hammer sweetspot. I still have yet to find good uses for the aerial hammer. I guess you can somewhat shield pressure people on platforms above you with it. Though shield dropping probably counters this pretty hard.
I use it vs people I know can shield drop explicitly. Sometimes they get hit by one of the later hits, but not usually. I try to flyby with them. If you can land with aerial hammer early, like by landing on a platform, you can potentially get an utilt.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yeah actually aerial hammer is super disjointed and if you get the back hit of it, it pseudo combos into utilt depending on DI / SDI. I will start using this in neutral as a cross up mixup probably.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I don't think edgecancelling the aerial hammer is super pragmatic. But I do think that occasionally getting the perfect landing on a platform with it can be useful for setting up combos or harassing airborne enemies.

Top Bottom