• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punishing with falco

theparadox

Smash Rookie
What are some good punishing options on fast characters like shiek and greninja? I'm thinking spaced short hop fast falling bairs may work. Lately I been using a lot dash attacks and jabs to punish does anyone know anything better, just curious.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
What are some good punishing options on fast characters like shiek and greninja? I'm thinking spaced short hop fast falling bairs may work. Lately I been using a lot dash attacks and jabs to punish does anyone know anything better, just curious.
Low percents i use Falling up airs -> up tilts -> Sh nairs or another upair

Mid percents I like to do falling up air to up air to bair.

D tilt to nair to fair.

Since 1.08 his up throw d throw d tilt up tilts all have great following up abilities with nair fair bair and up air :)

https://youtu.be/NtofLVKgrcs

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be great if we can make a list of all the moves that falco can punish on shield, perfect shield and with what. Jabs have been my go tos but if im missing out on 20% more damage cause i couldve used uptilt then thats crucial to know.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
I think it would be great if we can make a list of all the moves that falco can punish on shield, perfect shield and with what. Jabs have been my go tos but if im missing out on 20% more damage cause i couldve used uptilt then thats crucial to know.
Up Smash is his fastest smash attack I believe. Ever since they fixed up smash I haven't implemented it in my brain to use after perfect shield. Muscle memory immediately goes for down smash. Which sets up for edge guarding

knu_OOKA

Smash Cadet
NNID
ukah19
3DS FC
5370-0495-9774
Falco's fsmash has low enough cooldown to throw out in neutral for kills. You just have to space properly. I like baiting players into trying to punish it, and publishing them with down tilt at kill percents or with jab for faster characters.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I feel like falco players should ideally punish most things with perfect pivot utilt, which will start a long string pretty easy.

Maybe in 20xx

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Best punishes I like to go for at early percent is the usual dtilt > dtilt > grab > dthrow > rar bair
At really low percent the weak part of the dtilt links into itself, and it's not really that hard to set up either.
Then you've got your up-throw > upair > fair or bair.

I hear the new flashy thing to do is grab > dair > upair > fair, I have yet to actually try this.

Last edited:

theparadox

Smash Rookie
Low percents i use Falling up airs -> up tilts -> Sh nairs or another upair

Mid percents I like to do falling up air to up air to bair.

D tilt to nair to fair.

Since 1.08 his up throw d throw d tilt up tilts all have great following up abilities with nair fair bair and up air :)

https://youtu.be/NtofLVKgrcs
How safe are falling up airs never used his up air like that. I'm also having trouble punishing characters that can space aerials well is nair like the only thing falco has going when it comes to anti-air?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Up Smash is his fastest smash attack I believe. Ever since they fixed up smash I haven't implemented it in my brain to use after perfect shield. Muscle memory immediately goes for down smash. Which sets up for edge guarding
U-smash is frame 8. D-smash is frame 7. Minor correction.

That being said both Smashes are really good, just you have to make sure they hit given they're both pretty bad on shield.

I feel like falco players should ideally punish most things with perfect pivot utilt, which will start a long string pretty easy.

Maybe in 20xx
Debating whether or not this is better than perfect pivot F-smash and D-smash.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
How safe are falling up airs never used his up air like that. I'm also having trouble punishing characters that can space aerials well is nair like the only thing falco has going when it comes to anti-air?
Falco's Fair is great at anti airing. It hits 2 frames faster I was reading on this data dump from Thinkaman.

Fair nair and bair are great anti airs even Up air but you have to practice spacing it. I like to use the falling up air when I know my opponent is throwing out an attack or a Laggy smash etc.

Then you can follow up depending on the percents. Falling up air to another up air then bair, or replace bair with fair nair or even another up air.

Another thing to add, fair when it trades with certain recoveries crests a semi spike effect. Usually notable on Link shulk lucina/marth Roy. Even more than those I listed. Here's a in game video I made of strings and combos with falco and early offstage kills which are all very possible. Also some are Di-able.

https://youtu.be/bVW-Tt8UUqs

U-smash is frame 8. D-smash is frame 7. Minor correction.

That being said both Smashes are really good, just you have to make sure they hit given they're both pretty bad on shield.

Debating whether or not this is better than perfect pivot F-smash and D-smash.
Ahhh thank you. I love the tragectory D smash sends people off the edge. Falco's edge guarding tools with nair fair or dair and his recovery make it easy to harass.

Last edited:

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
normally when a sheik or any other character hits my shield I usually just do, bair OOS, nair OOS, grab or upsmash OOS...jabs, and tilts are also really good when you shield an opponents move too, specially utilt since its the fastest tilt and allows follow ups, i think falco has some really good OOS options.

P.S: If sheik spaces correctly her Fair, you wont be able to reach her with grab or usmash or uptilt OOS, but ftilt will reach.

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Blocking all of fox and falcos jabs net me a perfect pivot utilt punish. I was able to net about 30%. Im definitely liking perfect pivot punishes with falco. Are there any additional frames to include for perfect pivot if done asap?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Falco has poor options OoS; usmash is generally a bad move, and his SH aerials are to high to hit most smaller characters.

We're gonna have to get real good at powershielding to keep up imo.

Top Bottom