• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puff video critique please

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
http://www.hitbox.tv/video/968912

My match starts at 24 minutes. I'm Sam.

I've been playing puff for about a week now. I'm complete garbage, but maybe you can help me understand what I'm doing wrong.

If you stay after the match, I have a little interview afterwards

Last edited:

Little ShOcKeR

Smash Cadet
Hello! So I'm not gonna give you a at "X" time you should've done "X", instead I'm going to give you some general advice that I think will "widen" your view. First things first is that you play sooo.... boring, you do the exact same thing over and over and the adjustments that you were starting to do didn't happen until in a little later into the game. So I do and am fixing the exact same thing just at a more situation based level. O.K. so here's my main advice to you

"Smash is a conversation" - Bobby Scar Newman The Peoples Champ

So when I watched how you were playing I literally thought of you as that guy that says the exact joke five times in a row because he thinks It's funny the more he says it. Your entire game plan was to back air and shield grab. Now this isn't bad It's just you have to mix it up. So let's take the short hop back air in your neutral and improve it. So when you back air him notice what he does, is he shielding? Is he dashing in? Is he dashing away? Is he rolling? How often does he do each one? So once you understand his response change your statement. Now cross up with a neutral air. Maybe instead of back air land in front of him turn around and grab him. Start thinking that way and I think you will go way further with puff.

Now somethings that you need to work on:

Obviously you know but up throw rest.

Fox up throw up air on puff is actually crazy hard to actually do in fact armada cant even get it. So try to do some research on how to get out of it and all that jazz. I don't actually know all the ways I just throw out a move when I see them jumping up and I usually get the trade.

Some technical thing you can work on is if you rising back air you can jump again right before you land so maybe there is potential for back air the shield then jump neutral air.

Something that I prefer to do with puff is to use the z button to neutral air so you could try that out.

You should also practice wavedashing. I noticed that it was a little flimsy and that you didn't use it a lot. An amazing use for it is to wavedash forward grab if you see them shielding.

Something you should also do is watch your games and count how many times you do something. Like I did "X" amount of back airs, I went for "X" amount of shield grabs, etc..

Hope this helps you and puts you in the right direction. Cya! And good luck have fun! :awesome:

TheKenoshaKid

Smash Rookie
Hey so Little ShOcKer just made a lot of good points and I just wanna reiterate the fact that your playstyle in this set is super repetitive and predictable. There were multiple instances where you would do a single shorthop bair and fade away like three times in a row and after the third one he would just run up and grab you. Puff is strong in the air because of her insane aerial mobility and the power of her aerials, but you never really took advantage of more than one of your jumps and it's really hard to put up a good zoning wall when you're on the ground as much as you are. The fox punished your landings a lot but it still wasn't even close to as much as he could have.

Other than that I'd say the antsy pounds when you were falling back to the ledge were a pretty predictable habit that got you into trouble a few times. I have the same bad habit a lot of the time, and get ****ed up for it a lot too so just try to be aware of that. A whiffed pound is like the easiest thing to eat an upsmash for.

But yeah just get a feeling for putting up some good aerial walls, but not in a repetitive way. Practice doing a few bairs (without hitting the ground) and then like a turnaround crossup nair or just doing a tomahawk if he's sitting in shield a lot. Your movement and spacing I thought were pretty solid but were really limited by repetitive playstyle and being pretty ground-game centered.

Hope that helped a bit.

EDIT: OH YEAH. I just wanted to mention that it's cool to go in as puff sometimes. I honestly think youre better than that fox player but you spent the whole game spacing him out and trying to shield grab but never really applying aggressive pressure so he just had to play patient and punish landings. It can be hard to get in on fox sometimes but go for something ballsy every now and again like a random pound or falling upair if he's just waiting around!

Last edited:

rivers

Smash Cadet
you're using objectively the best puff alt so you're already on the right track

Top Bottom