• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Psychonauts 2

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2

I am so glad that this game is happening - I've been wanting to see another Psychonauts game, but for the longest time, I figured it wasn't going to happen given that the original didn't sell well. I'm aware that Double Fine has this perception of not having a great track record with crowdfunding, but honestly, Psychonauts 2 is the only crowdfunding campaign that I've actually invested in, and if it's anywhere near as creative or funny as the first game was, it will be well worth it.

For those who haven't played the original, Psychonauts is a 3D platformer in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie or Rayman 2, starring Raz, a young psychic who breaks into a summer camp/government training facility to become a psychic secret agent, or Psychonaut. It's extremely well-written, with every character (even the minor bit parts) getting development and having a ton of characterization.

The levels are inspired, set in the minds of various characters and based on their mental state. (for example, a paranoid security guard's mind looks like a 1950's suburb, if it were designed by M.C. Escher and populated by spies who "disguise" themselves as grieving widows by holding flowers and talking randomly about their dead husbands) The game usually goes down to around $2 during Steam sales and I can't recommend it enough.

Did anyone else back this game? Or have you played the original before?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's been a long time since I've posted this thread, but I feel like it's worth bringing it back to note that the game appears to almost be done!

Here's hoping we get a release date announced at E3!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Reviews are out for the game, and they're generally positive. (the only complaint that I've heard so far is that, similar to the original, the platforming controls can be clunky at times) It comes out in two days (or tomorrow for backers), and I am so excited to finally get to play Psychonauts 2!

Last edited:
Top Bottom