• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Psycho Soldier - Athena Asamiya for Smash

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

First Appearance: Psycho Soldier (1986)
Latest Appearance: SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy (2018)​

WHO IS ATHENA?

Athena Asamiya is a japanese high-school girl with psychic powers. She is the reincarnation of Princess Athena, a character based on greek mythology, who also starred her own games.
Prior to the King of Fighters, she got into martial arts with the help of her friend, Sie Kensou and their master, Chin Gentsai; and ever since, they all fight against evil.

PROS AND CONS
+ She's one of SNK better known mascots.
+ Her moveset can be easy to implement.
+ There are tons of SNK games in Nintendo consoles (though Psycho Soldier isn't one of them).
- Has to compete with other characters from her company (Terry, Kyo, Geese, Mai, Marco Rossi and even Ryo can pose as such).
- She isn't as iconic as most of the guest characters already in Smash.
MOVESET

Neutral Attacks:

Aerial Attacks:

Smash Attacks:

Special Attacks:

Regular projectile, not much to say about this.
Alternate command: QCB+A or B

This move allows Athena to phase through her opponents and move to one side of the screen. The longer you hold the button, the longer she moves, however, she stops if she either runs into a dead end or the players releases the button.
Alternate command: QCF+A or B

Regular uppercut move, not much to say either.
Alternate command: Shoryuken motion+A or B

This move is able to reflect projectiles, but it's also capable of harming nearby opponents.
Alternate command: HCB+A or B

Two energy balls will appear in the screen to harm any opponent in the stage. Athena will be immune to damage a will also be capable of harming opponents that get close to her. By pressing B again, she can cancel the moving balls into a powerful projectile that can K.O. the opponent.

Miscellaneous Animations:

If you've got any more suggestions, feel free to let me know.

Color Palettes

Last edited:

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I support Athena to be playable in Super Smash Bros Ultimate Sign Me Up :D
Also her Final Smash should be Shining Crystal Bit

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I support Athena to be playable in Super Smash Bros Ultimate Sign Me Up :D
Also her Final Smash should be Shining Crystal Bit
Aw shucks, I knew I forgot something. Gonna add you to supporter list and the Final Smash in a moment.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Add me to the support list as well!

Also if she somehow got in then this song is a must have for Smash:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
An often overlooked character in the west with a long history.

I support for SNK rep.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, given recent rumours and my overall impressions towards the DLC characters, I have to say Athena doesn't look as unlikely now. We have characters that aren't necessarily promotional and not necessarily big on requests as well. Since she's one of SNK's mascots and still has recent appearances, I can see her being on the same chances as Terry and co.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, she may just be in with a chance thanks to a new leak

Basically, an SNK rep has been seemingly confirmed. Now SNK isn't exactly lacking in characters so it could anyone who's ever appeared in King of Fighters but still it went from "snowball in heck" chance to "mayyyyybe..."

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, she may just be in with a chance thanks to a new leak

Basically, an SNK rep has been seemingly confirmed. Now SNK isn't exactly lacking in characters so it could anyone who's ever appeared in King of Fighters but still it went from "snowball in heck" chance to "mayyyyybe..."
Found out about it. I personally believe it's real.

Now, because of SNK's way of throwing different characters into other games, I think Athena's chances benefit a lot from it

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Athena does have one "gaming firsts" thing going for her. Psycho Soldier has the first vocal theme as a level theme in gaming.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, now that Nintendo took down the FP4 page, it's almost guaranteed that the next fighter is indeed from SNK. Let's see if Athena is said character.

Top Bottom