• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSI users as Alt Skins!

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
Seeing as how we have 8 Koopalings, 8 Villagers, and 2 Olimars. Having all the PSI users as alts for Ness doesn't seem like it would be too much of a stretch to happen.

Like the Koopalings the alts could for ness could be
-Ninten
-Ana
-Paula
-Poo
-Lucas
-Kumatora
-Masked man/Claus

As I die hard EB fan, I would go nuts if this were to happen.

Last edited:

Saint Johns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HyperSlash
I would love to have them playable, but Ness' moveset wouldn't do them justice as individuals,IMO.

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
I would love to have them playable, but Ness' moveset wouldn't do them justice as individuals,IMO.
Yeah you got a point, but I feel like simply changing the Yo-yo to Lucas's smashes could do them some justice. and making all the F-smashes interchangeable among the characters could work too, like Paula using a frying pan and Lucas using his stick.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Paula and Ana are the only ones that would really make sense, imo. Lucas has already had his own moveset, Poo's fighting is more like that of a Ninja, Ninten doesn't use any offensive PSI whatsoever and has a range of unique abilities he could draw on in a moveset, Kumatora is too tall to share animations, Masked Man is an inherent spoiler and he would probably fight more like Meta Knight.

And all that said, Paula and Ana are so similar that to have both of them would be silly. Just Paula would do as Mother 2 is far more well-known than Mother 1.

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
Paula and Ana are the only ones that would really make sense, imo. Lucas has already had his own moveset, Poo's fighting is more like that of a Ninja, Ninten doesn't use any offensive PSI whatsoever and has a range of unique abilities he could draw on in a moveset, Kumatora is too tall to share animations, Masked Man is an inherent spoiler and he would probably fight more like Meta Knight.

And all that said, Paula and Ana are so similar that to have both of them would be silly. Just Paula would do as Mother 2 is far more well-known than Mother 1.
Poo actually had PSI Fire Thunder and Freeze, plus he was the only who could originally use PK Starstorm, so Poo being in makes a ton of sense, though I do wish he was his own character. I also agree that Paula and Ana are very similar, but having both would be great for the sake of completion.

It's not like I want an Earthbound fighting game or anything.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm so so sad we didn't get Paula. Loads of missed opportunity. I personally think she would have been seamless on Ness.

But what can you do.

MasterBlu

Smash Cadet
Poo actually had PSI Fire Thunder and Freeze, plus he was the only who could originally use PK Starstorm, so Poo being in makes a ton of sense, though I do wish he was his own character. I also agree that Paula and Ana are very similar, but having both would be great for the sake of completion.

Except Poo can only use the Sword of Kings for physical combat or his hands where as Ness uses Bats and Yo-Yo's, etc so the fighting style would be much different but yes, if anything, Ness's specials are more reminiscent of Poo than any other EB character period.

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
Except Poo can only use the Sword of Kings for physical combat or his hands where as Ness uses Bats and Yo-Yo's, etc so the fighting style would be much different but yes, if anything, Ness's specials are more reminiscent of Poo than any other EB character period.
Who says you cant swing a sword like a bat :p thats also why i feel like Ness should have gotten Lucas's smashes. Not only are they just kinda better, but it would work better for any future alt skins at all.

Now the only thing I can REALLY see being a problem is the fact that Kumatora fights with gloves.

MasterBlu

Smash Cadet
Who says you cant swing a sword like a bat :p thats also why i feel like Ness should have gotten Lucas's smashes. Not only are they just kinda better, but it would work better for any future alt skins at all.

Now the only thing I can REALLY see being a problem is the fact that Kumatora fights with gloves.
I feel like Poo could have a similar F-Smash to Toon Link in PM with the Sword of Kings as well as a Lucario-esque Nair from PM. Additionally, I would like a Mother character to make use of PSI Teleport. Since they refuse to give this to Ness, Poo could have this. You know what, time to visit the Clone Engine forum where I could probably come up with many moves sets for many characters. Haven't played Mother 3 (I plan to soon though), but doesn't Kumatora rely moreso on Fire based moves? Gloves I feel would not really be a problem.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I feel Ninten and Lucas would make the most sense.
Granted, Ninten never used yo-yos, but he looks the most similar to Ness to make up for it.
Lucas on the other hand can use yo-yos, but the bat would have to be replaced with a stick.

Paulas Frying Pan wouldn't have the same size as a bat, so that could be problematic and Kumatora is larger than Ness, which is an issue. The other characters mentioned in the OP have been discussed enough already, I feel.

That aside, I'd be all over a Lucas alt for Ness.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I feel Ninten and Lucas would make the most sense.
Granted, Ninten never used yo-yos, but he looks the most similar to Ness to make up for it.
Lucas on the other hand can use yo-yos, but the bat would have to be replaced with a stick.

Paulas Frying Pan wouldn't have the same size as a bat, so that could be problematic and Kumatora is larger than Ness, which is an issue. The other characters mentioned in the OP have been discussed enough already, I feel.

That aside, I'd be all over a Lucas alt for Ness.
It wouldn't really make sense though. Lucas has had his own moveset, it'd be like if Mewtwo came back an an alt for Lucario. Paula's pan could easily be long enough, just enlongate the handle and make the pan part bigger. Wouldn't be the first time hitboxes haven't accurately represented the size of a weapon though.

Well, I don't really agree. There's a lot more to Ness than those 3 special moves, his moveset would for the most part look pretty silly on an eastern warrior archetype. I don't think it's at all necessary to have Ana, if she was the only character from Mother 1 playable in any way it would be pretty strange. She's another one the Yoyo wouldn't really make sense on too. Paula actually can equip the Yoyo in Earthbound, Poo specifically can't when everyone else can.

If there's another newcomer, it should be Jeff. he's by far the most unique in comparison to Ness.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Wouldn't be the first time hitboxes haven't accurately represented the size of a weapon though.
The bat is at least twice the size of the frying pan.
Unless it has a really long grip.
But that'd be silly.
Imagine cooking stuff with that thing.

Lucas has had his own moveset, it'd be like if Mewtwo came back an an alt for Lucario.
I understand that, but what I'm saying is that it would WORK. Ness already has Lucas' variations of his specials and quite frankly, I'd rather him being an alt than not returning at all.
Lucas returning in any form is fairly unlikely, but hey, I can always be delusional and hope agains all odds!

Last edited:

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice

Ummm.... I don't think poo ever used psi fire, that was exclusive to Paula in earthbound. Anyway, a poo alternate would've actually worked better on lucas than ness, since lucas's arial attacks seem much more agile than ness's.

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
Well all these points yall are bringing up and my mistakes kinda crushed my dreams now :p
If only EB got as many reps as Mario, if that were to happen it would be like....like....

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Well all these points yall are bringing up and my mistakes kinda crushed my dreams now :p
If only EB got as many reps as Mario, if that were to happen it would be like....like....
Shhh, it's okay.
EarthBound is a very small and rather obscure franchise. Not to mention, it is officially concluded.

If anything, I think Lucas has a small chance to return, if only because he could be ported and the model is already there.
I know I'm hoping against all odds, but that's about all I can do. Aside from making a Lucas Mii Fighter.

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
Shhh, it's okay.
EarthBound is a very small and rather obscure franchise. Not to mention, it is officially concluded.

If anything, I think Lucas has a small chance to return, if only because he could be ported and the model is already there.
I know I'm hoping against all odds, but that's about all I can do. Aside from making a Lucas Mii Fighter.
I mean Lucas pulls out Needles so he could fight with a swooooooord?.....

Kos-MosPlushie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kos-MosPlushie
I'm surprised Ninten didn't get an alt skin for Ness since Magicant originated in MOTHER 1 (Earthbound Zero). Yes you technically go there again with Ness but that's his subconscious and not the real Magicant.

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
I'd love a Ninten skin for Ness. Doesn't seem too unlikely, considering MOTHER 1's Japanese popularity. It's as popular (if not more so) than EarthBound/MOTHER 2. MOTHER 3 was very controversial in Japan, so maybe that's why Lucas didn't return...

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
I'd love a Ninten skin for Ness. Doesn't seem too unlikely, considering MOTHER 1's Japanese popularity. It's as popular (if not more so) than EarthBound/MOTHER 2. MOTHER 3 was very controversial in Japan, so maybe that's why Lucas didn't return...
Add Bandana, change hat angle a bit, get Ninten.

Like seriously why the h*** did you not do that Sakurai?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I think this would be cool personally. Paula, Ninten, Poo, Ana and Lucas would fit the bill the best I think personally. Claus would be amazing too though.

I think it would be amazing to see Poo with all of his Kings equipment on, and use the Sword of Kings in perhaps the manner in which Meta Knight's F-Smash works; a swift and clear cut is what I'd picture him doing. PSI Freeze would probably also be more appropriate than PSI Flash as well. The only odd thing would be the yo-yo, which would look strange on Poo given how it hinders him in EarthBound, but other than that, Ness' move-set would fit him fine as an alt.

Why we didn't get a Ninten alt is beyond me, but on the other hand, we got some pretty nice alts for Ness this time around, so I won't complain.

Last edited:

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Shhh, it's okay.

It's not really that small or obscure, it didn't do well in the west but it's extremely beloved in Japan. The fact that it's concluded doesn't really mean anything either, it's still significant today.

Top Bottom