• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSI Magnet uses

KingNemba

Smash Cadet
As we continue to grow competitively it becomes important to utilize everything in Ness' arsenal. Over time I have heard how PK Cross is useless, PSI Magnet is pointless (back in ssbm) but slowly they have proven to be effective tools in growing Ness' meta game.

Most of us might know Ness' PSI Magnet, at point blank has a bit of a push. One match i had a link bomb thrown at me. Naturally i went to absorb. Accidently i let go too soon, instead of the bomb contacting Ness the psi magnet repelled it, landing in front of Ness to pick up.

Timing seems to be key but I wonder... can it be used viably to slow and stop projectiles that can be picked up and thrown or even cancel projectiles? I doubt the second but has anyonw tested this?

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Im not sure if you can stop non-item projectiles maybe ones that arc downwards like semi-charge arrows but things like metal blade or boomerang should still travel forward till they reach their limits but slower. Your better off just shielding things you aren't able to or aren't at a distance to safely absorb since PSI Magnet is laggy if you don't absorb anything and can get you punished if your using it at close.

It could be worth looking into. Windbox play isn't really looked into

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
>PK cross

Also, no, magnet isn't a viable defense against projectiles. It's easier to just catch them with nair.
Even the windbox itself is niche in uses. You might luckily push back a rushing in Mario after absorbing a fireball, for example, but in neutral completely utilizing windbox to give you optimal positioning isn't practical.

Last edited:

KingNemba

Smash Cadet
I have to agree with both of you concerning psi magnet. Unfortunately it doesn't have the ability Lucas' does. The repulsion is fairly weak, requires point blank proximity and, seemingly, timing.

I suppose I hoped there was more to the ability, that it had been long overlooked (like jiggy's sleep attack which requires ultra precision to make it viable- of course jigglys sleep is infinitely more fatal, so thats a weak comparison). Weak repulsion just seems like a strange effect of the psi magnet and makes me wonder what is its functionality and purpose? Why even put it in the game? You could easily have not added it and have the absorbing ability (dont think it was present before ssbb).

But Xermo...i dont quite agree with the >pk cross statement. But i have never had the opportunity to apply pk cross it in a tourny, only in For Glory, still, with great results.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
The best uses for magnet is for aerial stalling / mixups or airdodge baiting offstage.

My ">PK cross" statement wasn't insinuating that PK flash is a worse move than magnet, but that you called it cross instead of flash.
Flash itself as a move has a lot applications than magnet and is overall much more useful.

KingNemba

Smash Cadet
Ah, my misunderstanding. Nevertheless, is there a section that catalogues PSI magnet tactics? I have yet to find one. If any of you care to share your cool psy-mag mixups and tactics, please share!

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
If you want to see good Magnet play look up S1-14 and FOW they do a really good job of stalling landings and baits with Magnet stalling. It's also worth a google their might be a guide on it I recall looking at but I don't remember for certain

KingNemba

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I've seen a few of their videos including ones on different PSI magnet tactics (i.e. psi mag cancels, psi mag stall to specials) but nothing on smashboards. At least a compilation thread or inputs on mix-ups, etc.

Envoy, you mentioned windbox and I did some testing. There is good windbox when the opponent is still (which is basically never unless there's a shield break) as you can create distance be employing psi magnet. Unfortunately I've tried windboxing off-stage for recovering enemies but it doesn't create any pressure or push unless they're idle. You can also sway the momentum of airborne opponents but requires them to not be attacking; yet, again, as everyone had already figured, windboxing with psi magnet seems basically useless.

I want to test canceling physical projectile movement but do not have anyone to test with on 3ds.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Ever since Brawl and Fox using his Reflector as a stall in the air, I've been doing that with Ness. I figured if it worked for Fox, it should work for Ness. And now that Ness' PSIM comes out very fast, it's so much better as a staller in the air and as an attack set up. Link's and Toon Link's alike don't throw bombs at you directly anymore without first throwing a boomerang or firing an arrow first. Avoiding those and grabbing their bombs into a z-drop > PSIM is a good alternative for healing. SH > PSIM > aerial is also a good option, though, you could just go in for emptyhops/tomahawks > grabs. PK Flash doesn't have very much practical use, but it sure does wonders against characters who have recoveries that put them in bad situations.

KingNemba

Smash Cadet
I like that z-drop > PSIM. That's actually pretty smart. Easy free health and it's basically guaranteed. I've also been in battle and I noticed there has been an increasing change in short, close up exchanges with jabs against most opponents. Usually if you do a spot PSIM it has enough push back to create distance and give you a chance to dodge better or fsmash, but it just requires timing. There might be a little more to PSIM on ground than just health, similarly to how its use in the air but instead of pausing.your descent it creates distance between you and your opponent for a follow up move. As of now its just determining which moves to follow-up as the window to strike is similar to tripping an opponent.

Top Bottom