• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Protector for Smash - Teach Will Shield All!

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
I didn't realize there was a thread for her. Count me in. Etrian's my favourite series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We hit two pages, this is more than I ever expected tbh.

D

Deleted member

In celebration of two pages I made this
DrALD9HUUAAwNRG_2_2.png

Some rough edges here and there because I edited all of this on my phone and I can't fix them because I accidentally hit save and that merged all the kayers so **** me

D

Deleted member

I don't know whether to be impressed, or concerned for your sanity. :p

Also am I the only one who finds her face in the art in the bottom-right panel kind of funny?

She looks totally spaced out, to me. :p
I feel more comfortable with my fingers than with a mouse.

She looks good to me, she's just amazed at the sick ass soundtrack she's listening.

D

Deleted member

Hello, I support her inclusion. She'd be a pretty cool addition imo.
Welcome to Etria! The snacks are to the left, the drinks to the right, the lovecraftian being that will consume all of humanity is down there and the squirrels are up there in the trees.
Please do not get close to the squirrels if you value your life.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I just noticed that music list doesn't have the best stratum boss theme in the series, we can't be friends any more Shish

Anyway, have some neat art I found recently, I guess this is the best place to post it
This one's from an EO version of the Dominion card game. It seems to have art I haven't found anywhere else, but I can't find too many images of the actual cards.
I've been looking for the actual full-size art of Lost Shinjuku for ages, it's even prettier when it isn't being compressed to within an inch of its life by the DS screen resolution.

D

Deleted member

I just noticed that music list doesn't have the best stratum boss theme in the series, we can't be friends any more Shish

Anyway, have some neat art I found recently, I guess this is the best place to post it

This one's from an EO version of the Dominion card game. It seems to have art I haven't found anywhere else, but I can't find too many images of the actual cards.

I've been looking for the actual full-size art of Lost Shinjuku for ages, it's even prettier when it isn't being compressed to within an inch of its life by the DS screen resolution.
In my defense, I didn't play EO3.

Also, hey neat, I had that art saved for a long time but its quality was SO bad and it had a watermark on it. Gonna use it as an avi.

Also also, IS THAT A MOTHER****ONG HIGH QUALITY VERSION OF THE LOST SHINJUKU ARTWORK!?!?!?
f98da08a-7a52-4b50-8384-e7d3c4b9b4c4.jpg

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
In my defense, I didn't play EO3.
Yeah, but neither have I. I thought a Protector would be able to come up with a better defence than that. :p
even though I only heard it because I accidentally left auto-play turned on on YouTube once, normally I don't listen to music before actually playing the game

Also, hey neat, I had that art saved for a long time but its quality was SO bad and it had a watermark on it. Gonna use it as an avi.

Also also, IS THAT A MOTHER****ONG HIGH QUALITY VERSION OF THE LOST SHINJUKU ARTWORK!?!?!?
View attachment 180641
Well, that was quick. Thought you might like those. :p

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Is this... No, it can't be. Another Etrian Support thread!

While I'd personally prefer one of the actual characters (be it a Story Mode character from Untold such as Highlander, Fafnir, or even Ricky, or an NPC/Boss, such as Logre, or maybe Ren & Tlachtga as a duo), I'd be down with including the main mascot herself (not really sure where you're going when you talk about a trend with "Heroines with blonde hair and blue eyes", though, when the poster girl of EOIV is clearly the Black Haired Landsknecht).

Regardless, I think that Teach would make for a pretty cool character. You'd likely be able to get her to use skills from the Hoplites, Fortresses, and Dragoons as well, and not just limit her to Protector stuff.

Also, this might be a bit of wishful thinking, but I'd hope that she gets the Bowser Jr. treatment and gets alt skins of the other protector-like characters in the series. Maybe give her a Teach Skin, a Raquna skin, a Bertrand Skin, a Hrothgar skin (and maybe a Wealh skin as well), a Kirjonen skin, an Egar Skin, and a skin of that EOX NPC who looks a lot like a protector. I contemplated Marion as well, before I remembered that she was a Landsknecht and not a Protector. Alternatively, you could just put in some of the standard class portraits as alts, such as the blonde Fortress, or the redhead Dragoon guy.

Regardless, you can add me to the list of supporters.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
While I'd personally prefer one of the actual characters (be it a Story Mode character from Untold such as Highlander
Boy have I got something for you

when the poster girl of EOIV is clearly the Black Haired Landsknecht
I'd say EO4 has a pair of "poster girls", since the Landsknecht and Fortress (who fulfils the "blonde hair and blue eyes" bit) are basically never seen apart. So it still more or less works, I guess?

D

Deleted member

when the poster girl of EOIV is clearly the Black Haired Landsknecht).
Nah, the blonde fortress is just as much of the mascot as her girlfriend.
Regardless, I think that Teach would make for a pretty cool character. You'd likely be able to get her to use skills from the Hoplites, Fortresses, and Dragoons as well, and not just limit her to Protector stuff.
I thought so too but I "limited" myself to just Protector stuff because most of what each Shield class uses kinda overlaps. And since they can already use spears and axes, Hoplites and Fortress are already represented in a way.
The one skill I definitely should reconsider using for her moveset is the Dragoon's Shield Throw, because Boomerangs are the new counter so we need the most ridiculous one yet. Sacrifice range and power for defense for a few moments, it works perfectly.
I'll probably move around some of the specials and put Shield Throw as a Side B but I still wanna keep the Ariadne Thread and Map Drawing though, as I don't like just sticking to class skills and want to represent some aspects of the gane as a whole.

Another concept would be pairing up her with Mediko but then the next thing wouldn't work...
Also, this might be a bit of wishful thinking, but I'd hope that she gets the Bowser Jr. treatment and gets alt skins of the other protector-like characters in the series. Maybe give her a Teach Skin, a Raquna skin, a Bertrand Skin, a Hrothgar skin (and maybe a Wealh skin as well), a Kirjonen skin, an Egar Skin, and a skin of that EOX NPC who looks a lot like a protector. I contemplated Marion as well, before I remembered that she was a Landsknecht and not a Protector. Alternatively, you could just put in some of the standard class portraits as alts, such as the blonde Fortress, or the redhead Dragoon guy.
My initial idea would be for the 4 Protectors and each having their default recolors from Nexus. I'd love if we could get as many of them as possible and Raquna and Bertrand would make it really hard for me to choose a main skin but I kept myself mostly to what's "realistic".
Another option would be to have Raquna as an Echo Fighter and have her get the named character skins so then we could have 10+ EO characters :^)

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Maybe I should try and come up with some ideas of my own for how they'd work. I'm sure there's plenty more that could be done with the idea that isn't included here, including borrowing from the other tank classes - just pass it off as using Grimoires or subclassing or something. :p

Also Raquna and Bertrand as skins/echoes? I'll drink to that. Cheers, eh!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... Joker getting in, means that Atlus is on the table when it comes to Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Reggie did say the DLC characters would be ones you wouldn't expect to see, right? And I don't think anyone else would put a bigger tick in the "unexpected" box. :p

Though we'll probably just get Persona Q stuff instead, just to rub the salt in. But I wouldn't complain too much if they add this track, it's the only one in that game composed by Yuzo Koshiro and is basically just an EO track in disguise:

D

Deleted member

Reggie did say the DLC characters would be ones you wouldn't expect to see, right? And I don't think anyone else would put a bigger tick in the "unexpected" box. :p

Though we'll probably just get Persona Q stuff instead, just to rub the salt in. But I wouldn't complain too much if they add this track, it's the only one in that game composed by Yuzo Koshiro and is basically just an EO track in disguise:
Persona Q is redeemed

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
On the off-chance we did happen to get some EO Spirits, what would their Spirit battles look like?

For the Protector I'd imagine they'd use Link, for the shield. Probably something like metal Link, who moves by walking so the shield stays up as much as possible. Maybe paired with a Dr. Mario with a supply of healing items to stand in for a Medic.

The Harbinger can be Dark Pit with a Death's Scythe, and the Gunner could be basically anyone with a Ray Gun or something.

D

Deleted member

Protector as Metal Link and Dr. Mario as back up would actually be pretty damn cool. Have Link also start with a back shield too. And put in Robin to act as the Alchemist who shows up in the boxart with the two.
Put Gunner over ZSS paired with Duck Hunt.
And the EOIII Sovereign could be Zelda paired with Sheik(Ninja), Ike(Gladiator) and a Mii Brawler(Monk).

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
this may or may not happen but screw it add me to the supporters list i'm down with this series and it's composer this series music is S-Teir and i'd love to hear it in smash

amageish

Smash Master
So, I got Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk while it was on sale on PS4 and it's been scratching my EO itch, in spite of being notably different.

It does make me wonder how the games will play once they move off of 3DS though... Any hopes/expectations?

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
So, I got Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk while it was on sale on PS4 and it's been scratching my EO itch, in spite of being notably different.

It does make me wonder how the games will play once they move off of 3DS though... Any hopes/expectations?
honest copy that game because they have to remove the map-making feature

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
This thread has been getting kinda old with no real activity, huh? Unfortunately, the chances of there being any kind of Etrian representation in the pass are looking slimmer with every passing day. However, there is still a shadow of hope. I'm speaking, of course, of the teaser that Atlus left us almost two years ago, for the next stage of the series. We haven't heard anything about it since then, but assuming that they have actually been working on it, it must be getting along at least somewhat, and the chances of it being completed before December 2021 don't seem that far fetched. Depending on how heavily Atlus tries to promote it, there is at least a glimpse of a chance that we'll see said promotion appear in the form of a Smash character, assuming they've already worked out the details with Nintendo (seeing as the entire fighters pass has already been decided on).

Eh, IDK. Maybe I'm being too hopeful. So far the only "promotional" DLC characters have been for Nintendo first parties (namely Fire Emblem), so it seems a little far fetched that they'd place their faith in the new game for a third party series that doesn't have a history of selling brilliantly. Either way though, I hope we hear something about this new game sometime soon. Having no info for nearly two years is making me scared that it was cancelled. Hopefully that isn't the case. Hopefully they're just taking their time to make it the best they possibly can.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm honestly not too worried about the game being cancelled. Persona Q2 and Nexus came out so close to each other that they possibly overworked the team, plus they now have to redesign the map-making function for a non-dualscreen-platform. I also think that the EO team has overlap with TMS#FE as ATLUS' "Bonus Team" (i.e., not MegaTen, not P-Team, and not Studio Zero) so to speak? Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that... Either way, I definitely think a pre-end-of-2021 release date is plausible, at least in Japan.

As for Smash odds? I don't know. I was really hoping for a larger selection of ATLUS Mii Costumes when Joker came out; however, the second pass does, potentially, provide a chance for more costumes and possibly another character from the company. I'm uncertain if an EOVI would be chosen for promotional reasons over, say, the protagonist of SMTV though. You can call Byleth "promotional," but they were from the fastest-selling and arguably-most-mainstream-in-critical-acclaim game in their series. Etrian Odyssey just doesn't sell that well, especially when compared to other MegaTen games and Joker was very clearly representing Persona in particular. That said, Sakurai did explicitly discuss his love of Etrian Odyssey in the interview he did with ATLUS after Joker's reveal, so maybe that'd be a point in our favour...

I'd honestly be happy if we even got, say, a deluxe Protector Mii Costume with The End of Raging Winds though.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Random post from a user who found this thread way too late! Dunno how many supporters still look at this thread but I just wanted to throw my support out there for this character. I quite enjoy the EO games and absolutely adore the character designs. I also love the moveset idea in the OP.

amageish

Smash Master

Sounds like we're getting the announcement of something from the not-Persona not-mainline-SMT not-Project-Re-Fantasy team next year? That could be the MIA Etrian Odyssey project... or it could be a new Devil Survivor, or maybe they're making another version of Radiant Historia, or maybe they're making a second Tokyo Mirage Sessions, or maybe they're doing a second Fire Emblem crossover but this time in the way people actually wanted it to be, or maybe.... There's a lot of ways this could go.

Top Bottom