• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proposed Changes to Project M Ice Climbers

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to propose some changes to Ice Climbers, with the goal of improving the character's functionality, strength, and game health. I want the Ice Climbers to be a more viable character, as well as more intuitive to play as and against, so I'm going to propose a list of changes below in hopes that we can discuss potential modifications to the character and possibly have the changes considered by the Project M Development team.

*Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the Project M Development Team (PMDT), and as such, there is no promise of any changes discussed being considered or implemented into any iteration of Project M. The goal of this post is too provide player feedback and nothing more.

Proposed Ice Climbers Changelist:

General-
Bugs and Glitches removed (duh).
Reduced Ice Block falling speed.
Ice Block damage slightly increased.
Forward Smash damage and BKB slightly increased.
Belay KBG reduced once Nana stops rising.
Belay no longer causes either Climber to snap to the ledge.
Only 1 Climber can occupy a single ledge at any given time.

Nana-
Distance required for Nana to become AI controlled reduced.
Nana no longer mimics inputs unless synced.
Nana "Vacuum" range increased.
Nana AI no longer intentionally moves off-stage.
When knocked off-stage, Nana always recovers toward the ledge.
When Popo is off-stage, Nana AI acts as a level 9 CPU.
Nana's throw direction when > 30 units away from a ledge is now random.
Nana immediately gets off the ledge with a normal get-up, or get-up attack if the opponent is in range (credit to @ Wibbles Wibbles ).
Nana AI no longer uses Up-B.
Nana AI attempts to airdodge back to the stage when recovering.

Explanation of proposed changes:
I'm not going to go in-depth about the smaller changes, but I will take a minute to discuss some of the changes that might potentially be viewed as controversial.

Reduced Ice Block falling speed- A small change to promote the use of Ice Blocks when airborne and/or off-stage.

Belay KBG reduced once Nana stops rising- The hitbox should still retain the same duration, however, opponents should no longer lose a stock because they touched Nana while She was slowly descending.

Belay no longer causes either Climber to snap to the ledge- This would allow belay to be a more useful recovery tool, as it would allow the player to use Nana's hitbox defensively, as well as reward more precise timing and spacing for the player.

Only 1 Climber can occupy a single ledge at any given time- Allows for more edge-guarding options, and incentivizes players to be more aware of Nana when recovering.

Nana AI on longer intentionally moves off-stage- Nana staying on-stage forces the opponent to decide between fighting Nana or edge-guarding Popo, rather than just edge-guarding both of them.

Nana always recovers toward the ledge- Same thinking as the change above. The opponent is forced to commit to one Climber, rather than both.

Nana's throw direction when > 30 units away from the ledge is now random- More reward to incentivize handoffs and Nana grabs. Currently, there is too much risk in missing a mid-stage handoff when the reward is only the additional damage from D-throw.

Nana immediately gets off the ledge with a normal get-up or get-up attack (random)- Provides Nana with a ledge mix-up, while limiting Her ability to ledge-hog Popo.

Thanks for reading! Please feel free to discuss these changes as well as propose other changes in this thread.

Edit: Added Nana airdodging toward the stage.

Last edited:

WookieCookie

Smash Rookie
These are all awesome changes that would add infinite depth to the ICs. I wasn't so sure about the single ice climber on a ledge but if this were implemented correctly it would be a blast to edge guard your opponent.

Smash Journeyman
Are you really suggesting that they remove desynching?
Not at all. What I'm referring to, is those strange incidents when Nana will sometimes mimic an input, despite being far away and not really synced up with Popo. I would still want all the desyncing, or "soft syncs" to be in the game.

Wibbles

Smash Cadet
Ah, ok, I can get on board with that then. I have had her do a down air off the edge when I downsmashed mid stage before.
I agree with the ice block and f-smash changes (especially the reduced falling speed), but think that the belay and edge mechanics seem unnecessary. I don't think Nana even has a hitbox when she stops rising, so reduced KBG wouldn't work.
Keeping her on stage when I am recovering would be nice, but that could just be because I am used to the melee Nana. I think that having her be a level 9 would be too strong, have you tried playing CPUs in PM? They have really stepped up their game from melee. Lastly, randomly choosing between a normal and a get up attack doesn't make sense, she should do a get up attack if the opponent is near her.

Smash Journeyman
Nana's Belay hitbox lasts about 42 frames, and she starts falling around frame 30. I've played against people that have fallen into the late hitbox and died, so I think the way it works right now is a bit silly. If you look at it in debug mode, you can actually see the hitbox is still active during the first 1-2 frames of Nana's special fall animation.

Wibbles

Smash Cadet
Ah, ok. In melee the hitbox lasts until frame 59, and goes away when she starts to fall on frame 60, so I assumed it was the same.

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
all of these changes seem interesting, (though better mid-stage grab game would be nice) one question I have is why the belay change to 1 climber on the edge? Seems like it would hurt their recovery in a significant fashion., and I think you still can get desynchs that have one climber on stage/one grab ledge currently. Or is there something else that i'm missing that makes that change anything but a nerf to IC's?

Smash Journeyman
Currently, you can ledge-hog ICs after Nana snaps to the ledge, but before Popo does, and is usually a guaranteed KO. I'm not sure if there is a different way to fix this, but changing Nana's ledge properties seems like it would work. Also, sometimes when you desync and take the ledge with Popo, Nana will try to take the ledge too, but instead just runs off the stage and dies.

Top Bottom