• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proof why PAC-MAN is a bad character + suggestions on how to make him viable

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzx

Smash Lord
Current version: 1.1.6.

"Oh sh*t not him again!" Yeah, it is me again. But before we start, let me just say something important: The purpose of this thread is NOT to cause any flame wars, trolling or other bad behaviours. The purpose of this thread is instead to give proof as to why PAC-MAN is a bad character and also to spark discussion. Yeah, I am going to use proof. Not opinions (entirely). Don't forget that! (If this thread somehow violates any rules and you as a moderator wants to remove this thread, please let me know beforehand.) With that said, let's start.

First and foremost I am going to show you a video, demonstrating the many design flaws PAC-MAN has as a character. When watching the video, do keep in mind that the CPUs are set to "Controller" and that no DI is included, meaning that the moves may KO at a much later damage percentage. Also, do note that rage effect is not in effect while in training mode. Still, even then, PAC-MAN's moves don't get boosted that much by rage anyway (with the exception of Bonus Fruit, which doesn't scale with rage at all), since they mostly have poor knockback values. Another thing: The damage percentages are chosen the way they are just so you can more easily grasp what I am trying to proof. Other things are also shown in the video. Here's the video - please have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzLRh-5_xhs

Now that you have gotten a clearer view of PAC-MAN's many design flaws and faults (hopefully), let's take a closer look at his moves and see just how unfair treated some of his moves are. Let's start with his Up-air:

I am going to compare PAC-MAN's Up-air to Mario's, Captain Falcon's and Zero Suit Samus's Up-airs. (If you want, you can also compare it to Luigi's, Dr. Mario's, Ganondorf's and Bayonetta's Up-airs.)

PAC-MAN's Up-air starts at frame 9, ends at frame 37 (FAF), does 10%, suffers 16 frames of landing lag, auto cancels at frame 32>, has a launch angle of 70 and has knockback values of 13/100. (In other words, it is really weak and slow.)

Mario's Up-air starts at frame 4, ends at frame 32 (FAF), does 7%, suffers 12 frames of landing lag, auto cancels at frame 18>, has a launch angle of 75 and has knockback values of 10/135. (It is much faster than PAC-MAN's Up-air and it is better at KOing too.)

Captain Falcon's Up-air starts at frame 6, ends at frame 34 (FAF), does 11%, suffers 9 frames of landing lag, auto cancels at frame 24>, has a launch angle of 70 and has knockback values of 10/100. (It is better at KOing than PAC-MAN's Up-air and it is also a lot faster overall too.)

Zero Suit Samus's Up-air starts at frame 6, ends at frame 34 (FAF), does 6.5%, suffers 9 frames of landing lag, auto cancels at frame 25>, has a launch angle of 80 and has knockback values of 30/125. (Surprise surprise, it is also stronger than PAC-MAN's Up-air and it is a lot faster too.)

By now I hope you have realized how much better the other Up-airs are compared to PAC-MAN's Up-air, even though they share similar animations. Not only are they much faster overall than PAC-MAN's Up-air, but they are better at KOing too. If anything that is an unfair treatment they gave PAC-MAN regarding his Up-air. It's slow, it's weak, and it doesn't combo as reliable as the others... Now, let's move on to another move... B-air. (You can also compare it to Sonic's, Fox's, Ness's and Bayonetta's B-airs if you want to.)

PAC-MAN's B-air starts at frame 9, ends at frame 41 (FAF), does 11.8%, suffers 22 frames of landing lag, auto cancels at frame 36> and has knockback values of 10/100.

Mario's B-air starts at frame 6, ends at frame 34 (FAF), does 10.5%, suffers 12 frames of landing lag, auto cancels at frame 19> and has knockback values of 12/106.

Dr. Mario's B-air starts at frame 6, ends at frame 34 (FAF), does 13.44%, suffers 16 frames of landing lag, auto cancels at frame 19> and has knockback values of 10/95.

Luigi's B-air starts at frame 6, ends at frame 46 (FAF), does 14%, suffers 16 frames of landing lag, auto cancels at frame 33> and has knockback values of 12/100.

This really doesn't need much explanation. Just see for yourself and realize that PAC-MAN's B-air is easily the worst of them all. Even though his B-air's horrible landing lag (as much lag as an air dodge landing lag btw) can be explained by the fact that PAC-MAN shouldn't be able to Hydrant -> B-air -> launch it instantly according to the game developers, it still is brutal that it has a massive 22 frames of endlag, especially for being so weak. The B-air doing 11.8% is also explained by the fact that it could instant launch the Hydrant with refreshment bonus, meaning that the damage output would exceed 12%, enough to launch the Hydrant in one hit (Patches 1.0.0-1.0.3). But now that the Hydrant can't be instant launched by his B-air, it really should be doing a little more damage, like 12%. It's slow in every area possible (okay, frame 9 is decent I guess?) and it's very weak (despite a knockback growth buff), so it really deserves to be stronger. Also, is it really necessary for it to be so slow and laggy overall...? Next move...

PAC-MAN's F-air comes out at frame 5 and ends at frame 26 (FAF). Good, right? However, it doesn't auto cancel until frame 43> and suffers 16 frames of landing lag. Not so good, right? Think about it. It is quick, yes. Very quick. But for mostly being a poking move it really has much landing lag that are very unnecessary. It also barely gives hitstun until at much later percentages, due to it being very weak, so it is very punishable until then. Compare this to Sheik's F-air, which also comes out at frame 5. However, while it does end at frame 35 (FAF), it only suffers 10 frames of landing lag and auto cancels at frame 11>. Add to that that Sheik is a fast faller and PAC-MAN's a floaty character... It isn't hard to understand why Sheik's F-air is better than PAC-MAN's F-air, despite sharing many similarities actually. Oh, did I mention that Sheik's F-air can kill and PAC-MAN's cannot? Yeah... Next!

PAC-MAN's D-air ends at frame 60 (FAF) with 20 frames of endlag and it doesn't autocancel until frame 56, which is reeeally bad for a move that can't KO at all. It makes no sense that it doesn't send the victim downwards like Lucas's D-air does. It would really help PAC-MAN out if it did, since it can't KO otherwise. Like, what is the purpose of this move? Yeah, sure, it does have some niche values, like putting Luma in a tumble state. But? It doesn't send the opponent downwards nor does it KO upwards. It has a lot of lag and does little damage (10.5%). This move really needs to be reworked. No wonder it's so bad and rarely used... PAC-MAN doesn't have any meteor smashes (besides Freaky Key), so it would be very fitting if it did meteor smash the opponent. Next.

His Smash attacks are really slow/sluggish in both startup- and endlag. What's even worse is that they don't really pack that big of a punch compared to other Smash attacks of that caliber do, despite the knockback growth buffs. Although his F-smash deals a nice 16%, it's still slow, suffering 53 frames of endlag. The startup of it is frame 18. His Up-smash hasn't got the fastest startup either (first hit comes out at frame 13 while the second "main" hit comes out at frame 16) and it ends at frame 50. (Worth noting is that in a patch it got more endlag.) His D-smash is the biggest joke of them all, though, dealing only 13% with a startup of 18 frames and endlag of 55 frames. It is very weak too. Again, if his Smash attacks would pack a bigger punch then all of this would be more understandable. But really, with the strength they have now, it would make more sense if they had decreased startup and endlag. But even if they would have more power behind them, they still would need to be a little faster and end sooner. It really would help if they got "just" 1-2 frames faster in startup. Endlag on the other hand needs to be cut more than just 2 frames though. Moving on...

His Back-throw is really unfair compared to Mario's, Luigi's and Dr. Mario's Back-throws. Despite sharing almost identical animations, PAC-MAN's Back-throw is still the weakest one of them all. (Wario's pathetic Back-throw excluded.) (The only time this move will KO is when you grab the opponent near the ledge with you having high rage and the opponent having high damage. Very reliable in other words! kappa) It also suffers the most endlag of them all. In teams this matters a lot. What's making this worse, however, is that PAC-MAN shouldn't get many grabs to begin with, so this makes the payoff relatively small. His Back-throw really needs to get stronger and decreased endlag. Also, not to be picky, but it doesn't have a damaging hitbox while spinning the opponent around like the others have. (But maybe it has to do with PAC-MAN only spinning the opponent once.)

Now to his infamous grab. It is literally the worst grab in the whole Smash series due to its slow startup, really bad hitboxes, poor range (relatively) and tons of endlag. This move is so unacceptable that it isn't funny. Let's go over ALL of the tether grabs/ranged grabs (standing) in this game and compare them to PAC-MAN's almost unusable grab and just see how terrible it really is:

PAC-MAN: Frame 12-14, 22-24, 32-39. FAF 76.

Bowser Jr: Frame 12-13. FAF 36.

Link: Frame 12-17. FAF 62.

Lucas: Frame 12-19. FAF 46.

Olimar: Frame 10-19. FAF 50.

Samus: Frame 16-25. FAF 70.

Toon Link: Frame 12-18. FAF 62.

Villager: Frame 15-16. FAF 56.

Yoshi: Frame 14-24. FAF 56.

Zero Suit Samus: Frame 16-19, 16-25. FAF 69.

As you can see, PAC-MAN's grab suffers the most endlag of them all. It also isn't reliable at all, unlike the others (comparatively). And the funny thing is that people complain about Robin having a bad grab... PAC-MAN would have been exceedingly happy if he would have got Robin's grab, or heck, even Brawl Ganondorf's grab. That really says something. PAC-MAN's grab also has the most unreliable hitboxes ever. They only appear one at a time, with the first two grabboxes being very small. The beam has blindspots in it too. You can literally spot dodge a hitbox and then proceed to hardpunish PAC-MAN for it. It is also actually very shortranged too, in contrast with its animation. It makes me wonder why they decided to put in so much effort in making it really terrible while the item Boss Galaga has the exact same beam but functions properly. (PAC-MAN's grab is based on the Boss Galaga). That item doesn't have any blindspots in it as far as I know.

What's also funny is that PAC-MAN's grab has NEVER been fixed. That is true madness! Consider this: Lucas's grab got buffed immediately after the next patch he was released. Then it got buffed again in another patch. PAC-MAN has been around for the whole game and his grab has never ever been touched upon! Other grabs (like Link's, Samus's and even Greninja's) have also been buffed, but not even once have they fixed/buffed the mess that is PAC-MAN's tractor beams! If that isn't wanting a character to be bad then I don't know what. Freaking Brawl Wi-Fi beams. It is bad in every area possible. WHY HASN'T IT BEEN NOTICED BY THE DEV TEAM AND WHY HASN'T IT GOT FIXED YET??

Now over to PAC-MAN's priority. Before I say anything, yes - I am aware of the 9% priority law.

We all know that his specials are double-edged swords. Opponents can catch, negate and use the Bonus Fruit against PAC-MAN. Opponents can also launch the Hydrant at PAC-MAN. Opponents can steal bounces from the trampoline and make PAC-MAN's life miserable. Opponents can also interrupt PAC-MAN's Power Pellet, getting healed by it and severely punish an interrupted Power Pellet due to the insane endlag it possesses.

But have you ever noticed how his Bonus Fruits and Hydrant have "extra low" priority for "some reason", meaning that very many attacks can negate them, even weak ones? So not only does shields screw PAC-MAN over (more on that later), but the opponents don't really need shields to combat PAC-MAN's projectiles since they can just negate them with normal attacks. But if they do shield them, then the shields will not get too worned out/damaged anyway. This is why I think that his Hydrant and Bonus Fruits should deal added shield damage, along with better priority. His Power Pellet and Pac-Jump specials need this too. Heck, I think all of his chomping moves should have added shield damage. This includes his Dash Attack, D-tilt and Down-throw. (His Pac-Jump and Power Pellet moves are technically also chomping moves, but I've already suggested them.) If his projectiles and his chomping moves did more shield damage then it would make PAC-MAN more threatening to shields, something that is a good answer to EVERYTHING PAC-MAN has. (With the sole exception of his Trampoline, which ignores shields. But it isn't a reliable way to answer shields.)

But I know what some of you are thinking: "Yeah, but PAC-MAN already has deadly shield break setups, so he doesn't really need a way to beat shields. Also, he has duh trampoline." But my answer to that is: Yes, he has, but that really requires some preparation for it and only works on opponents that have no clue on what PAC-MAN is trying to do. First, he must get a Key in his hand. That alone isn't safe. Second, he must be above the opponent while they're shielding. Third, he must Z-drop the Key (at a height that makes the Key bounce twice), then drop the Hydrant onto the opponent, then follow up with a B-air (or N-air in some cases) to cause a shield break. But honestly now. In all that time span the opponent will have more than enough time to react to this setup. They can just roll away, negate the Hydrant/Key, or punish PAC-MAN before he even attempts to do something. Yes, maybe this will work sometime during intermediate- to low level play, but not at high level play against an opponent that knows the PAC-MAN Matchup. But enough digression.

As I said, shields are the best answer to deal with PAC-MAN. Why that is is because of PAC-MAN's lack of a reliable grab. That makes him not going for it a lot, which makes shields excellent counters to PAC-MAN. That coupled with his very weak and laggy moves makes shields laugh at him. Also, when opponents shield the Bonus Fruits, the opponent can catch them afterwards and use them against PAC-MAN, or even worse - holding on to them so that PAC-MAN can't use another Bonus Fruit. So with his Bonus Fruit and Hydrant dealing more damage to shields, that would definitely make up for the exploitable weaknesses they have. Remember that his Hydrant and Bonus Fruit are easily beaten by normal attacks due to their low priority/even if they had increased priority, so even then shields wouldn't be all that necessary to beat them. Which brings me to...

His Hydrant and some of his Bonus Fruits need to have their damage increased (meaning they will also be stronger, which they need), which will increase their priority. As of now, the dropped Hydrant only does 9%, while the damaged hitbox "only" does 13%. Think about it. I giant hunk of metal filled with water only does 9% when dropped on a foe's head and it only does 13% when hitting an opponent while being smacked flying around. I don't know about you, but I would definitely get serious injuries if I would get a fire hydrant dropped on my head or if one was crashing towards me. That is why I believe a dropped Hydrant should do at least 12% while a smacked one do at least 15%. If this would happen then fewer attacks would negate it (meaning that it will get higher priority) and it would be stronger too, getting the KO power it deserves (because it is somewhat lacking as of now). Because more damage, power and priority is what it needs. Its HP should be increased too, from 13% to 14% to make it more "durable". I also think that it shouldn't be able to get smacked back at ya by an attack while being airborne from a drop, but maybe that's just me. I also think that it should send the opponent downwards if it hits an airborne opponent (due to PAC-MAN lacking meteor smashes).

Now to his Bonus Fruit. It really is his best tool, no doubt. But! It is very weak. Don't believe me? Then I have to remind you of what happened in my video I posted. Mario couldn't get KOed by a Melon at 150% midstage (Battlefield), while a Key failed to KO Mario at 130% midstage (also Battlefield). Those two are his strongest Fruits. This was without DI, meaning that with optimal DI, they would KO much later. (They don't get affected by rage so you can't claim that.) Compare PAC-MAN's Key to other fully charged moves, such as Charge Shot, Shadow Ball and Thoron. Compare the damage too. Why Bonus Fruit has low priority is because of their low damage output. Let me got through them all:

Frame 8
> Cherry: 4%. OK! Understandable.

Frame 19
> Strawberry: 6%. OK! Understandable.

Frame 30
> Orange: 8%. OK! Understandable.

Frame 54
> Apple: 9%. Damage OK, but should get a little stronger/hit angle more vertically. Threshold.

Frame 78
> Melon: 12%. TWELVE?! For a slow moving projectile?? No wonder it is so weak. It would be fitting if it did 14%. Then it would get stronger and have higher priority. This move should also do serious shield damage.

Frame 102
> Galaxian: 9%. In the patch versions before Smash Wii U got released (aka the 3DS days), this did 11% per hit. While I can somewhat understand why they nerfed the damage to 9% per hit instead, it really makes no sense that it didn't got any knockback compensation for it. It can't KO now (but it couldn't before either) and its comboing abilities were really hampered in the process too. While 9% times two is by no means bad damage, it really is easy to outprioritize it. What's even worse is that when it gets outprioritized, it will lose all of its hitboxes, making it a dead ship on the flight. Of course this move shouldn't focus on KO power, but it really is sad that for a frame 102 move + 12 frames for tossing it, that it does relatively low damage, gets easily beaten and can't combo as easily in the early damage percentages (like it did previously). It should do 10% per hit while having the same power as it had when it did 11%. Also, I think that after the loop, it really should be reliably homing in on the opponent.

Frame 126
> Bell: 8%. WHAT?! ONLY EIGHT!? Corrin's Dragon Fang Shot does AT LEAST 8% (not the non-charged version)! It's ultra weak too. For being the second last Bonus Fruit, it surely is pathetic. While I'm not demanding it to be transcendent, it really needs both its KO power and its priority to be increased. This can be solved by upping its damage. The Bell doing 12% would make its reputation as the second last Bonus Fruit better. Honestly, it would be fair. Of course it's not a bad move, but sheesh, 8%. No wonder why like everything can negate it so easily...

Frame 150
> Key: 15%. It does a fair amount of damage. While not at the level of, say, Charge Shot and Shadow Ball, I still think its speed makes up for it. However, the only concern about this move is that it is a little underwhelming in power. Don't get me wrong, this is easily PAC-MAN's best KO move and it can KO, but when failing to KO Mario at the middle of Battlefield with no DI involved at 130%, it sure is very disappointing. Increase its knockback growth, and it will be a fine move.

When tossing a Bonus Fruit, PAC-MAN suffers 45 frames of endlag, which is eh. I mean, it is pretty decent compared to other projectile users/shooters, but it still is slow. Especially seeing how the animation could be sped up. I mean, look at PAC-MAN's reveal trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVz-2VuAYlY), when he tosses the Galaxian (at 0:53). Maybe it is just me, but I think he suffers less endlag when he tosses it, meaning he can more reliably do follow-up attacks. It is frustrating when you barely miss your follow-up attack after a Bell hits due to this endlag. But to conclude the Bonus Fruits, they universally need to do more shield damage while some of them need to do more damage and have better KO capabilities.

Now, what move is super good in a character's own game but completely sucks in Smash? At least one of them is Power Pellet. Here's some data for it: It suffers 94 frames (FAF) of endlag (!!), does 12% fully charged (!!) and is very weak. This can also be stopped by attacking the Power Pellet. How is this even a good move? Okay, I understand that you can stop the Power Pellet by attacking it, but the 94 frames of endlag? Why? That's horrible. And why does it only do 12% when fully charged? That is such a joke that I forgot to laugh. Then, it isn't even that powerful. Like come on, it's the freaking Power Pellet! While it is appreciated that PAC-MAN gets super armor the moment he eats the Power Pellet, I still think it is too few super armor frames he gains. I'm not suggesting that the whole animation after the Power Pellet has been consumed should give super armor, but I definitely think that it should give more super armor frames. In the original PAC-MAN game, PAC-MAN got 10 seconds of invulnerability when he ate a Power Pellet, so I really think he deserves more than just a few frames of super armor. After all, he should get invincible, but maybe that is asking for too much? Anyhow, they need to greatly reduce the endlag of the move and increase the damage from 12% to 15-16% on the fully charged hit. On the other non-fully charged hits they should increase the damage by 2-3%. This would make the Power Pellet a powerful move, like it is in the original game. And again, the Power Pellet should do more shield damage, with the fully charged one being able to at least do half the shield damage required for a shield break.

The initial hit is very inconsistent for linking the move into the final hit. For this, I would redo the initial hit so that PAC-MAN will drag the opponent along with him towards the Power Pellet, with the knockback angle of each hit sending the opponent the way PAC-MAN is facing. Every other Pac-Dot would produce a dragging hitbox after PAC-MAN eats them, so that the full move should connect.

Regarding the Pac-Jump and Trampoline, I think they are amazing moves. The Trampoline is fine. If it would have stuck around/lingered more, it would've be great. But I have always wondered why the third hit of Pac-Jump never KOs. I really think they should fix that.

The Power Pellet ledge crash (or the "floor wall miss" as some of you call it) should also be fixed. It's funny how Greninja's head bonk angle got changed so he could survive more easily, but not PAC-MAN's. Anyhow, if this crash would happen, and you cannot reach the ledge by your second bounce, you're screwed, since your opponent will probably steal the third bounce if you haven't outright got self-destructed by then. Even if the opponent doesn't steal the third jump, it isn't guaranteed that you will reach the ledge anyway. That is bad.

Also, his F-tilt glitch should be removed. I think that during the first (few) frame(s) when PAC-MAN walks and simultaneously performs an F-tilt, the glitch kicks in. What happens is that the move will be shortened and inconsistent. Also a bad thing. They were eager to remove all the other glitches PAC-MAN had, but not this one. I expect them to feel as enthusiastic to remove this one glitch as they did for his other glitches.

---

So, why PAC-MAN isn't viable:

Simply put he:

- can't grab
- is weak
- can't KO, with his best KO move (Key) being takable
- has low damage output
- gets screwed by shields
- gets screwed by rage (and can't abuse it either)
- has tons of lag
- has sluggish Smash attacks
- his Specials can be used against him
- is vulnerable when trying to recover back to the stage
- has many unwinnable matchups (Mario, for instance)

PAC-MAN is the only character in the game that can't grab nor KO. Ouch!
Every character in the game can deal with PAC-MAN's tools, meaning that PAC-MAN isn't that hard to defeat (can't grab, can't KO and his best tools are easily beaten). Remember that!

Sources: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/PAC-MAN. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Pac-Man_(SSB4).

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
While I think you have several solid points, I have a couple criticisms.

A: Pac-Man is not helpless against shields as you imply. He does struggle against them to a moderate degree, but he compensates with the trampoline. And, while grabbing is much more difficult as Pac-Man, it is not at all impossible, and is still useful as a mixup. Yes, Pac-Man's grab is questionably designed, but it is not useless.

B: Your tone in writing this comes across as somewhat too aggressive for my tastes. Consider rewording some of your sentences to be less critical and more analytical.

C: He does have very, very difficult matchups (namely Rosalina, Villager, and Mario), but calling them unwinnable is a major overstatement. Players like Abadango, Tea, and Ginko have proven very resourceful in those matchups at high level play.

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
While PAC-MAN's grab is indeed trash is does have unique properties to it, the edge of PAC-MAN's grab will connect even if you spotdodge through it due to it's weird hitboxes that come out on different frames.
and the thing about the trampoline is that not only does it come out faster than his grab, it also has the unique ability to connect despite your shield and spotdodge (for the spotdodge the trampoline doesn't allow you to follow up after spotdodging) but if used correctly you can use it to avoid enemies that try to dash attack you or fast fall an aerial.
And I think the best use for Side B is for reading an opponent's projectile and grabbing up the power pellet while it's still on the floor.
I think a useful buff for PAC-MAN would be a down air that actually spikes, how come Kirby gets a spiking down air while he's left in the dust?

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
JFC send it in a letter to Sakurai or send it to someone that is working on Project M for Wii U. Posting this here is pretentious and makes it feel like you're threatening to stop maining Pacman unless we meet your demands, which makes little to no sense even with context.

If you hate his moves so much, then main another character. No worries, no one here will miss you, I'm sure.

verbatim

Smash Ace
Don't have time to read through the entirety of your post but I'd contend that Pacman's up-air is not something that holds him back. Apart from the unique ways it can be used to prime and launch the hydrant, it actually has some decent range to it that makes for an okay anti-air. You're right that it isn't zss's up-air, but let's be real, pretty much every character in the game wants her up-air, or Mario's, or Ganondorf's.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
First of all, your comparisons, while valid, shows a wrong image of Pac-Man.
What I meant by that is that you compared his aerials, which are used for keeping out the opponent or slight combos, to Mario, ZSS and Falcon, who are actually meant to combo and be agressive, unlike Pac-Man.
These characters are high tier for a reason and by comparing Pac-Man to high tiers with a different gameplan than him altogether you're bound to misinterpret Pac-Man's moves.

In short, if you wanna play a borked character with frame 6 kill moves yeah go ahead but don't play Pac-Man. Not braindead doesn't mean he's bad.

Oh and you "forgot" to talk about Neutral Air.
Probably because it's actually good.

Secondly, unusable moves happen a lot.
You don't see Sonic, ZSS or Sheik use her Down Air, and if you look at the frame data you see why.
Does this make them bad characters? No, and Pac-Man gets the luxury of getting the power to poop a 10+ percent Hydrant, unlike other characters with bad down airs that struggle to land because of it.
Same with Power Pellet.

And uh, yeah.
His grab sucks.

But Trampoline doesn't.
OH.
WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SPEAK ABOUT BORDERLINE BROKEN MOVES?
FRAME ONE. BOTH IN THE AIR AND ON THE GROUND?
IGNORES SHIELDS?
OKAY THEN.

As for Bonus Fruit, you seem to forget they are items as well.
Which means Pac-Man has access to an item that stuns and several Z-Droppable items that do a lot of damage if used right.

Only throwing the Fruit through the move itself is 3DS-days meta at best and yeah, he sucks if you only do that.

I'd frame data data you if I knew the frame data for throwing an item.
I believe it's frame six?
Which means he has a frame six stun.
In four directions.

Yes, Pac-Man needs to be buffed, but battling badly before blabbing he's bad because the buttons won't be braindead borderline bonkers is blatantly bewildering.

If that's the way you may wanna play Mario and call it a day, kay?
But Pac-Man's different and you might think that's lame but honestly you can't compare them because they aren't the same.
If you think he should be braindead well that's fine but don't say he's bad cause you just crossed the line.

If you wanna play a blatant top tier that can press buttons and win, play Mario, but don't go around saying Pac-Man is bad because he's not the same as him.

Just buff his his grab and he's fine imo.

Jalil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JeMaraj
Yeah, that and maybe more kill power on bair and I think he'll be pretty well rounded.

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
A lot of this information is why PacMan is a slower character. No, PacMan doesn't hit as hard or as fast as Mario or Dr. Mario.

But neither does RosaLuma. Who strangely enough gets utterly pwned by DAir (auto-tumbles Luma, leading to an easy Fair combo off the stage).

And didn't a Palutina player just knock Zero out of a tournament? Good frame data is nice and all, but yeah, Pac Man isn't a character with fundamentally insane frame data... like Shiek or Mario. Instead, PacMan gets like double the range on virtually every single one of Mario's attacks. We basically have the same range on our jab as Mario's DTilt.

I mean, to be honest, it just sounds like you want to play Mario. Which is fine. There's certainly more to this game than frame data, but if you want good frame data, Mario and Shiek are right there for ya. But there's a lot more to this game than just frame data.

---------------

In particular, your points about Bair seem to ignore the fact that I don't recall EVER losing an aerial footsies match because Mario's Bair, Dair, or Nair out-ranged mine. On the other hand, I can remember many times when I've captured the neutral from a Mario due to Pacman's superior range. Pacman's Fair seems to have similar range as Mario's Bair, while Pacman's Bair must have something like double-the range / disjoint.

Turnaround SH Bair to zone Mario's aerial approaches. Execute it right, and you get the autocancel on landing and can jab-out Mario's run-in grab attempt.

From a similar Frame-data perspective, your post makes Cloud's Dair look awful. Or apparently Ike is utterly straight up unplayable.

The issue is that Mario hits harder and has good combos, so even if I have the neutral for 70% of the time, two or three good combos can kill me. But when Pacman has the neutral and Mario is off-stage, PacMan's superior range and tools make it actually a rather difficult approach.

I mean, what are Mario's options? Basically Nair and Dair if he's airborne, both of which are stuffed by virtually all of Pacman's options. A good player Mario gets in with dash-dancing / pivots and whatnot, especially since Mario's grounded throw game is extremely potent. But your goal is to keep Mario out of your zone.

And since PacMan's melee range is so large, that's where the game is at. Not in the raw frame data, but in the advantages the game has given us. Given all the advantages Mario has on us, I estimate the matchup to be 40:60 Mario's favor, but no worse than that. Based on your post, it almost sounds like you think Mario is straight up untouchable.

And believe me, I know what "bad" feels like. I played a low-tier character in Blazblue for literally years and won 30:70 matchups against my favor. The worst matchup I give PacMan is 35:65 vs Yoshi (a character who is being slept on IMO)

Yoshi's frame data is slower than Mario, but has superior aerial mobility. Yoshi's superior range evens up the air game vs PacMan (whereas Mario needs to be careful as he approaches a superior-ranged opponent). And Yoshi's Smash attack has a nifty built-in side-step that can dodge-and-outrange PacMan's FSmash. A good Yoshi player will use that property to own you.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
JFC send it in a letter to Sakurai or send it to someone that is working on Project M for Wii U. Posting this here is pretentious and makes it feel like you're threatening to stop maining Pacman unless we meet your demands, which makes little to no sense even with context.

If you hate his moves so much, then main another character. No worries, no one here will miss you, I'm sure.
This was uncalled for. Xzx specifically said this was to spark discussion, and he's doing that by explaining why he thinks pac-man is a weak character. I'm glad he did, becomes he seems to be one of the few that's not satisfied with the character ATM and is willing to actually admit and discuss the serious flaws he has.

But to address actual stuff:

Pac's Uair is great for damage racking. It is in fact weak for how slow it is, but that's not his biggest problem. There's other things I'd rather see touched before I would complain about his Uair.

WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever

He's comparing his moves to other brawler characters, not necessarily high tiers in particular. Pac can't zone people out with a weapon, nor is he loaded with disjoints or projectile normals like some fighters, so he has to get his hands dirty like majority of the cast. Unfortunately, when you stack Pac's normals against other hand/feet fighters, they are just second rate, no ifs/ands/buts about it. As Xzx pointed out, Pac's moves tend to be slower, weaker, and have less combo potential. They're not garbage, but they're not particularly good either. His specials are supposed to make up for it, because you're right, he's not supposed to be mario, ZSS, Falcon, etc., but more on that in a second.

His Nair is actually one of the worst of the F3 Nairs, although it is a good move in general. The range is terrible, and it has a low amount of active frames when compared to the other sex kick Nairs. Mario's Nair lasts from F3-29; Doc is 3-27; Luigi's from 3-31; Yoshi's is 3-25; Sheik is 3-30; Pikachu is 3-20 (FAF 39, Landing lag of 25 tho) ; Villager's 3-23

Pac's is 3-19, yet with notably worse range than Villager's and a lot more dead frames after the hitbox ends (FAF 36 vs 52 or something). Why? It's just not as good for no good reason. It has the most commitment out of all the F3 Nairs FAF-wise. Pikachu's comes close to being as bad as Pac's, but I don't remember the kill power differential between his nair and Pac's. Pac's has better landing lag, but Pikachu's has better FAF. Regardless, Pac's Nair could be better. Like Xzx is trying to say, another example of pac having a lackluster move compared to others.

Sonic, ZSS, and Sheik Dair are all decent landing mixups, and the latter two have a very potent suicide spikes with their Dairs. Sonic's can meteor too, so that's already something way over Pac's. They at least have niche use in every MU. Pac's has great use in...one.

Now for trampoline. I used to think it was broken too, but I've had the truth beaten into me. It comes out on F1 and pulls people out of their grounded stuff, yes, but it also has near zero horizontal range. You have to be literally on top of the opponent to hit them with it, aka putting yourself at risk every time.

If we're talking about it in the shield buster sense, it's nowhere near broken . Compared to a regular grab -> throw to beat shield, trampoline has two things over it: speed and ignoring spotdodges. On the other hand, grab -> throw for most of the cast is less total commitment, has more range than trampoline, and most importantly, it puts people offstage and/or generally leads to an advantageous position for the person who landed the grab.

At best, Pac's trampoline resets the situation to neutral while doing 7%. At worst, he gets punished on hit for trying to beat shield. Even at mid %'s, landing trampoline still puts Pac on the DEFENSIVE because the opponent can be right next to him before he can act again.

As a control tool, it's heavily MU dependent. It's a huge pain to some characters, a minor nuisance to others. I'm not going to delve into those details though.

Xzx seemed well aware the B Fruits are items, he definitely mentioned how they can be stolen and used against Pac. That's one of his big weaknesses too. The move is super telegraphed by design and easily clanked with or stolen because the fruits are items.

Pac does have access to a paralyzing item, which is amazing on paper...but why doesn't it work that well in practice? Why is he known to be bad at KO'ing? Because it's telegraphed via how BF works (sound cues and visual indicators means that the only way the opponent won't know a bell is coming is if they forget), and it can still be blocked, clanked (as xzx showed, even weak jabs will clank it), and stolen.

Z drop fruit still has all of these weaknesses in addition to being even more telegraphed since Pac is holding said fruit and is clearly locked into it. Most people get wrecked by z drop shenanigans because they don't realize how limited pac actually is when he's holding something. For example, if he's holding anything except the apple and he's above you, he has no way to punish you for rolling away. Better yet, if your character has remotely decent aerials, you can try to hit Pac and more often than not cancel out the z drop hitbox with your aerial. People get spooked and end up getting hit instead.

I believe Pac's fastest item toss is F8. It might be F7, I'm not certain. I know it's not 6, and it's not the same for all directions. I think his back item toss is F11.

Again, bell sounds super broken on paper when it's in his hand, but still, Pac clearly struggles to KO because there's so much counterplay to his items and how meh his normals are otherwise (and lack of grab of course).

Honestly, if pac is holding a bell and I think he's going to hit me with it, what incentive do I have to not block? The worst he can do is trampoline me, and if I read that, I get to punish him. Or if I read the bell toss, I can throw out a low commitment hitbox and most likely cancel it out.

D dragontamer

Not really on the range thing. Pac does outrange mario in general, yes, but double is pushing it. Pac is still going to lose to swords just like mario, and the other brawler characters, as Xzx pointed out, have better normals than Pac overall.

Pac's aerials should be trading in air to air situations. He lacks major disjoint on them, so you should be getting trades if the opponent is throwing out their aerials at remotely the same time.

Now to not make this sounds one sided:

Pac's normals are meh for the most part, but at least they do have very good combo potential once you've got a bit of % on the opponent. No, not ZSS or Mario level, but Pac can rack damage very fast still. Also, for a character with his variety of projectiles and tools, his frame data is quite decent. F4 jab, pretty fast tilts, and pretty fast aerials, although again, all pretty lackluster compared to the other close combat characters.

xzx xzx you idd gloss over the fact that pac's smashes have the whole "can't rebound" factor going for them. If you don't know what I'm referring to, go into training mode and have Sonic and Pac Fsmash towards each other at the same time. Pac's will clank with sonic's and continue through its animation while Sonic's will be stopped.

@people in general

People seem to be taking Xzx's post and narrowing it down to "you're mad that he's not mario. play mario instead". No. Pac's moves and the character design have some clear problems that Xzx is trying to point out. I could care less if he had Marios buttons, although that would certainly help.

My problem with the character is that his supposed main strengths can all be negated and used against him once you know how they work. BF is telegraphed, can be stolen, and is easily stopped with hitboxes/shield; Trampoline doesn't cut it when it comes to beating shield, and its control potential isn't that good in depending on who you're fighting. It also gives your opponent lagless aerials and platform cancelling to take advantage of; falling hydrant is easy to clank or flat out beat; Pac has the hardest time keeping control of his own hydrant because he can't instant launch without a fruit, and is open to counter launches whenever he goes to prime it. Then when you do get it tumbling, it's not hard to clank out or just dodge.

Again, his main strengths are much less effective once the opponent knows how they work, and then what are you left to fall back on? Meh normals and no grab :/

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sonic, ZSS, and Sheik Dair are all decent landing mixups, and the latter two have a very potent suicide spikes with their Dairs. Sonic's can meteor too, so that's already something way over Pac's. They at least have niche use in every MU. Pac's has great use in...one.
I don't know why you're comparing Pac-Man's dair to Sonic's, ZSS', or Sheik's. It's much more comparable to Peach's or Lucario's. That said, it is still a very, very situational move without a lot of redeeming qualities.

Now for trampoline. I used to think it was broken too, but I've had the truth beaten into me. It comes out on F1 and pulls people out of their grounded stuff, yes, but it also has near zero horizontal range. You have to be literally on top of the opponent to hit them with it, aka putting yourself at risk every time.

If we're talking about it in the shield buster sense, it's nowhere near broken . Compared to a regular grab -> throw to beat shield, trampoline has two things over it: speed and ignoring spotdodges. On the other hand, grab -> throw for most of the cast is less total commitment, has more range than trampoline, and most importantly, it puts people offstage and/or generally leads to an advantageous position for the person who landed the grab.

At best, Pac's trampoline resets the situation to neutral while doing 7%. At worst, he gets punished on hit for trying to beat shield. Even at mid %'s, landing trampoline still puts Pac on the DEFENSIVE because the opponent can be right next to him before he can act again.

As a control tool, it's heavily MU dependent. It's a huge pain to some characters, a minor nuisance to others. I'm not going to delve into those details though.
Here's where I majorly disagree with you. Trampoline is not broken, but it is one of the best moves Pac-Man has. I would argue that it's not supposed to be like a grab, but rather is its own entity.

Trampoline is three things: an option to beat shields that Pac-Man desperately needs, a way to limit the options of other characters, and a trap. Well, it's also a recovery option, but we all know that.

Yes, Pac-Man's trampoline will, at best, reset the situation to neutral when used on the opponent...but that's a really, really valuable thing to have that I think you're taking for granted.

Also, it can be used when you're not on top of the opponent, in which case it is primarily a tool for stage control. Trampoline can be used to force an opponent to jump from the ledge, or to force them to approach from above, which is valuable as it limits your opponent's options.

My point is, if you're playing correctly, you should not be punished for laying down a trampoline, and there's nothing really to complain about with it. It's situational, but so is literally every move Pac-Man has. You shouldn't recklessly throw out an up-b; you should assess the situation for when it's appropriate.

Xzx seemed well aware the B Fruits are items, he definitely mentioned how they can be stolen and used against Pac. That's one of his big weaknesses too. The move is super telegraphed by design and easily clanked with or stolen because the fruits are items.

Pac does have access to a paralyzing item, which is amazing on paper...but why doesn't it work that well in practice? Why is he known to be bad at KO'ing? Because it's telegraphed via how BF works (sound cues and visual indicators means that the only way the opponent won't know a bell is coming is if they forget), and it can still be blocked, clanked (as xzx showed, even weak jabs will clank it), and stolen.

Z drop fruit still has all of these weaknesses in addition to being even more telegraphed since Pac is holding said fruit and is clearly locked into it. Most people get wrecked by z drop shenanigans because they don't realize how limited pac actually is when he's holding something. For example, if he's holding anything except the apple and he's above you, he has no way to punish you for rolling away. Better yet, if your character has remotely decent aerials, you can try to hit Pac and more often than not cancel out the z drop hitbox with your aerial. People get spooked and end up getting hit instead.

I believe Pac's fastest item toss is F8. It might be F7, I'm not certain. I know it's not 6, and it's not the same for all directions. I think his back item toss is F11.

Again, bell sounds super broken on paper when it's in his hand, but still, Pac clearly struggles to KO because there's so much counterplay to his items and how meh his normals are otherwise (and lack of grab of course).

Honestly, if pac is holding a bell and I think he's going to hit me with it, what incentive do I have to not block? The worst he can do is trampoline me, and if I read that, I get to punish him. Or if I read the bell toss, I can throw out a low commitment hitbox and most likely cancel it out.
This is where Pac-Man struggles the most, and where I think the crux of this argument lies.

Pac-Man is, fundamentally, a character that can have his tools used against him. Because of this, his primary tools are not consistent or reliable. That is bad. Considering that, him having a mediocre up-close game is crippling.

So crippling, in fact, that I think it's reasonable to say Pac-Man is one of the weaker characters in the cast. If he had a reliable stage control and projectile game, he wouldn't need good frame data or powerful boxing options. But he doesn't, and he is thus lacking.

@people in general

People seem to be taking Xzx's post and narrowing it down to "you're mad that he's not mario. play mario instead". No. Pac's moves and the character design have some clear problems that Xzx is trying to point out. I could care less if he had Marios buttons, although that would certainly help.

My problem with the character is that his supposed main strengths can all be negated and used against him once you know how they work. BF is telegraphed, can be stolen, and is easily stopped with hitboxes/shield; Trampoline doesn't cut it when it comes to beating shield, and its control potential isn't that good in depending on who you're fighting. It also gives your opponent lagless aerials and platform cancelling to take advantage of; falling hydrant is easy to clank or flat out beat; Pac has the hardest time keeping control of his own hydrant because he can't instant launch without a fruit, and is open to counter launches whenever he goes to prime it. Then when you do get it tumbling, it's not hard to clank out or just dodge.

Again, his main strengths are much less effective once the opponent knows how they work, and then what are you left to fall back on? Meh normals and no grab :/
I can agree on the following points:
  • Pac-Man's strengths are not reliable.
  • Pac-Man's projectiles are too easily nullified.
  • Pac-Man's trampoline is not effective as a stage control tool against certain characters. (However, it is very effective against others.)
  • Pac-Man's hydrant can be easily used against him.
I disagree on this:
  • Pac-Man's trampoline doesn't cut it when it comes to beating shield.

As it is, I do think Pac-Man is one of the weaker characters in the game. To fix that, I would personally make it impossible for opponents to nullify bonus fruit or launch the hydrant, and I would make his damage output and kill power slightly better. That way, he would have more reliable strengths, but still would be weak up close, making his gameplan strictly to keep opponents out and control the stage.

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
D dragontamer

Not really on the range thing. Pac does outrange mario in general, yes, but double is pushing it. Pac is still going to lose to swords just like mario, and the other brawler characters, as Xzx pointed out, have better normals than Pac overall.
Mario has... very awful range. He makes up for it by having a significant speed dash (not "fast", but its "significant". A good lunge distance), a great grab game, and one of the fastest aerial speeds in the game.

I mean, good Mario players don't seem to challenge Pac in the air. Mario's best aerial for zoning is Bair, and his Fair (while a significant "combo-ender" or mixup opportunity) is awful on the approach. The characters who can challenge PacMan in the air are Ike, Cloud, Shulk, Marth and other swordmen. And Villager's slingshot, because that attack....

I'm not necessarily saying Pacman has the best air game. But within the Mario matchup, you should be out-ranging Mario on virtually every aerial approach. And a few well placed Trampolines can force the aerial approach.

Pac's aerials should be trading in air to air situations. He lacks major disjoint on them, so you should be getting trades if the opponent is throwing out their aerials at remotely the same time.
Within the Mario matchup? I dunno. I'm confident that PacMan's Fair outranges Mario's NAir and DAir. Mario probably has to go to Bair to keep up with Pacman's Fair's range.

A major theme in the original post is how unbeatable Mario is. I fundamentally disagree with that. I can agree that Mario has an edge vs PacMan, but I wouldn't call it overwhelming odds. Again, 60:40 Mario's favor is what I've more or less called for this matchup.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
I don't know why you're comparing Pac-Man's dair to Sonic's, ZSS', or Sheik's. It's much more comparable to Peach's or Lucario's. That said, it is still a very, very situational move without a lot of redeeming qualities.
Because WeirdChillFever brought them up when talking about unusable Dairs. As long as we both agree that Dair doesn't have anything super redeeming about it, I don't feel the need to discuss it much more.

Here's where I majorly disagree with you. Trampoline is not broken, but it is one of the best moves Pac-Man has. I would argue that it's not supposed to be like a grab, but rather is its own entity.

Trampoline is three things: an option to beat shields that Pac-Man desperately needs, a way to limit the options of other characters, and a trap. Well, it's also a recovery option, but we all know that.

Yes, Pac-Man's trampoline will, at best, reset the situation to neutral when used on the opponent...but that's a really, really valuable thing to have that I think you're taking for granted.
Trampoline is one of Pac-Man's best moves for sure, I don't disagree on that point. I still don't think it's that good in the grand scheme of things though.

As a shield buster, like I said, it doesn't give Pac an advantaged state after using it for that purpose. I don't think you're giving enough credit to how bad being offstage or forced to the ledge is in this game. When compared to the pressure/damage/kills that people get from the ledge, pac's trampoline for shield busting isn't that valuable. Yes, he absolutely needs it and would be garbage without it, but it's not that good overall. I'm going to link abadango vs zinoto as a reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRXcz52HPAM

I'm going to point out parts that portray what I'm trying to say. How lackluster trampoline is in comparison to regular grabs when it comes to beating shield.

@11:14, abadango gets grabbed. Goes from 17% -> 33% and is offstage. He doesn't take any damage immediately afterwards, but doesn't have any stage control. When he does get back up, @11:25 he rolls because he's pressured since he has no stage behind him to fall back to. He does a trampoline to try to get some control, and before he can actually do anything after it, Zinoto is in his face again with control from a thrown banana. Again, Aba is feeling pressured so he back rolls, then gets hit offstage again. Aba doesn't land another hit until zinoto gets pushed into a bell from hydrant water (which was a nice trap btw), but he took 49% before he even landed another hit and regained some control.

@11:52, pac man comparison. Aba trampolines Zinoto and he takes 7%, and right after he is forced to block because Zinoto is so close after the hit. Had zinoto not misjudged his spacing, i think he could've gotten away with a Fair on Pac's shield, or Bair if would've realized his positioning. This is exactly my point though, Aba doesn't get an advantaged state right here. Zinoto is right next to him and feels bold enough to take offensive options. Aba does get a Nair off from zinoto's error, but then his pressure string is ended on Zinoto uses his hitboxes to just blow through the bell setup lol. So ~17% from Pac's shield beating.

@12. 10, aba gets grabbed and thrown offstage. 10% right there, and gets hit back off by his own hydrant @ 12:19. 11%, and then aba regains control at 12:27 after taking 21%. Look what happens right after. Aba doesn't even try to aggressively pursue zinoto because he knows he doesn't have enough time after the trampoline to offer good pressure. Zinoto airdodges out of MU inexp imo, because he doesn't realize he can throw out a hit box in that case and keep more pressure on pac than vice versa. So, as I'm trying to explain, aba got 7% and back to neutral, which is not good enough.

@12:31, again, 7%, and back to neutral because abadango doesn't get time to aggressively pressure zinoto.

@13:29, almost got punished on hit for it.

@14:31, 7%, return to neutral. Let me just find another zinoto grab example...

@17:21ish, zinoto gets a grab and opts for his confirm. Still more % than a trampoline hit, and he's in control after the hit. Aba is usually on the defensive or it's back to neutral after his trampoline hits.

@17:28, zinoto grabs, gets a confirm, and gets stage control from it. Aba takes 6%, but then Zinoto lets the pressure up by opting to pull a banana.

@17:44, zinoto grab. resulting confirm puts aba in the air , almost offstage, and gives zinoto plenty of time to pressure afterwards.

@18:54ish, trampoline. 7%, return to neutral.

IDK man, just watch high level play in general and look at how much % people take when they keep getting forced back to the ledge and forced to get up with limited options. It's a big deal, and that's why trampoline shield busting isn't that good overall.

Great example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ewYNPF2xQ ; kamekushi v earth from EVO 2016

This match has tons of good sections where one of them gains stage control from a throw and keeps the other in a disadvantaged state for a prolonged period of time, if not outright KO'ing them. Pac-Man's trampoline can't do that, so if you use your shield wisely against him, he will have major trouble ending your stock. Forcing people offstage is critical in high level, and it's something Pac-Man just can't do without major risk if the opponent understands his limitations.

Also, it can be used when you're not on top of the opponent, in which case it is primarily a tool for stage control. Trampoline can be used to force an opponent to jump from the ledge, or to force them to approach from above, which is valuable as it limits your opponent's options.

My point is, if you're playing correctly, you should not be punished for laying down a trampoline, and there's nothing really to complain about with it. It's situational, but so is literally every move Pac-Man has. You shouldn't recklessly throw out an up-b; you should assess the situation for when it's appropriate.

Watch Aba vs Zinoto in general and you'll see how quickly people can be right back on pac man after he places a trampoline. It's great vs limited mobility characters, but most of the good characters can be right on pac's tail after you trampoline.

Last edited:

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674

These are honestly my problem with PAC, if you eliminate his problem grabbing, he can deal with shields better

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
PacMan's grab is all sorts of sadness for me.

Something to note is that a lot of characters (like Capt. Falcon) run so fast that they have the same issue as Pacman in the first example there.

The difference is that if you whiff a grab with PacMan, you are setting yourself up for a severe punish. So many active frames, so many cooldown frames.

In any case, the "hand" hitbox on frame 13 is extremely reliable. Its small, and for some reason its "disjoint" and spaced about "jab" distance away from PacMan. Focus your throw-attempts to use that "hand" and you should be good. Besides, when you get those occasional "side-step" guys because of the ridiculous number of active frames, it reminds us that life isn't so bad.

In any case, Down-throw at ~30% is the easiest damn setup for a Fair jab-lock combo into a well-charged FSmash. PacMan has good rewards on grab from a damage perspective, but you just can't really kill with it. I guess the opponent can tech-it, but Down-throw is certainly a significant advantage for Pacman.

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
Instead of clicking the reply button, I will do @s instead, so I won't overflow this post. I will try to be brief to further this.

Pacack Pacack :

A: How do you mean he compensates with his trampoline? Can you give examples of this?

Dragontamer Edit #1: Unnecessary aggression removed.

C: Specify "unwinnable" and why he doesn't have any unwinnable matchups. "Players like Abadango, Tea, and Ginko have proven very resourceful in those matchups at high level play." This argument doesn't have any logical merits whatsoever. Can people please stop using this bad argument? If a Duck Hunt Duo player beats Rosalina, does that prove that the matchup is "not as bad", even though it still is? Please elaborate instead of assuming you give out facts like that.

Superiorstar Superiorstar : What "unique properties" does it have? Gaps in it? Why the last hitbox is "weird" is because it lasts from F32 to F39 along with a wonky unfitting animation.

Dragontamer Edit: Direct Personal Flame #1 Removed

verbatim verbatim : It's a shame you didn't, actually. Regarding the Up-air, I don't think you understood the point I was trying to make.

Dragontamer Edit: Direct Personal Flame #2 Removed

D dragontamer : Did you just say that Rosalina and Luma doesn't hit hard? Wow.

What's with people thinking that me criticizing PAC-MAN = me want to/should play Mario? What do you base that on? What do you mean? My goodness. Stop with this nonsense already and actually discuss things properly. "From a similar Frame-data perspective, your post makes Cloud's Dair look awful. Or apparently Ike is utterly straight up unplayable." Yeah, did I just point out PAC-MAN's Dair's framedata? v_v Did I? NO.

See, I don't think you really understand the Mario matchup at all. Mario is better at close combatting than what PAC-MAN is. Mario is better at camping than what PAC-MAN is. Mario is better offstage than what PAC-MAN is. Mario is... Yeah, Mario is better EVERYWHERE than what PAC-MAN is. Mario wins over PAC-MAN in every single place and scenario. On top of that, Mario wins in frame data, KOing, grabbing etc. He also is a character that shuts down every special move PAC-MAN has. His F.L.U.D.D and Cape is almost enough to totally stop PAC-MAN in general. This matchup is easily one of his worst matchups, if not his worst matchup. PAC-MAN loses in every situation against Mario.

BSP BSP : Thank you. Your posts did save me very much time in replying to the others.

Dragontamer Edit: Borderline Flame Removed

---

It's insane how some of you overly overestimate his trampoline. I want you to proof how his trampoline "beats" shields and how it "makes up for" PAC-MAN's grab 'n' shield problems. BSP did a great job in analyzing the use of trampoline in those Abadango vs. Zinoto matches. But yeah, prove it. Because I'm pretty darn sure that if his trampoline was some sort of magical solution to shields, then PAC-MAN wouldn't struggle at all versus them.

And please everyone, when discussing PAC-MAN's viability, please always assume top level play. Not intermediate nor low level play.

Last edited by a moderator:

verbatim

Smash Ace
I did, you said his up-air was lacking in comparison to the top 5 up-airs in the entire game.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
I give up on this thread. Sorry xzx xzx , I don't see this thread becoming productive as it is.

I commend BSP BSP for trying to elevate and resuscitate this thread with valid discussion. But as this thread goes, there's too much flame bait going on and toxic behavior.

xzx xzx : Your post has at least 2 DIRECT personal flames in it by my count, and debatable borderline flames as well. Do not make personal remarks against your fellow posters. I recognize they "jabbed" you first, but your overreaction was not warranted. I am not officially warning you because I believe there are some mitigating circumstances, but consider this post a "soft warning" against your behavior.

If anyone wishes to recreate a Pacman criticism thread, you're still welcome to do so. Feel free to quote anything from this thread, but I reserve the right to delete any "toxicity" that leaks into a new thread on a case by case basis.

In case you missed it: anyone who wishes to continue discussion, please create a new thread. Feel free to make quotes from this thread and transfer any legitimate, non-toxic discussion as you see fit. The hard-break will allow me to isolate the toxic posts better.
Meta-discussion on this thread can take place in the designated Pac-Mod thread, or you may Private-Message me personally if you want a private discussion.

I don't want to throw out the baby-with-the-bathwater. There are a lot of good points and good discussion in this thread going on. However, the level of toxicity has reached the point where this specific thread must be shut down.

xzx xzx : I appreciate that you want to bring forward a contrarian opinion and discuss things with the rest of the forum. But you need to be more aware of how these discussions can quickly turn toxic, and you need to do a better job at fighting against the inevitable poison that destroys a civilized discussion.

xzx xzx is not the only one at fault here either. There are plenty of other examples in this thread which contributed to the quagmire. I point out xzx because he's the topic creator and responsible for setting the tone however. But the rest of the forum also has a responsibility to try and elevate a discussion and fight against negative energy. All should try and move any topic towards a positive direction.

And yes, I'm the moderator of this forum. So I also hold primary responsibility. Better for me to take late action than none at all however.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom