• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Projectile Spam" With Toon Link?

Pengo

Smash Rookie
I've been maining toon link since the start of Smash 4, and sometimes I get called a projectile spammer. Is there any specific way to improve my so called "spamming?" or is it just part of being a zoner? Maybe my friends just need to suck it up? I don't really know. It's not like I only use specials, in fact I think I spam aerials more than projectiles, and I know the basic combos like bomb to fair. I know it's sort of a stupid question, but I don't want to be "that guy," and all suggestions are appreciated.

On my part, I think you're probably fine. When I play against friends, they tend to complain, too. A lot of people just have to vent their frustration when dealing with playstyles and strategies they struggle with. One guy I know doesn't like that I play sword characters. He plays very defensively and likes to stay back and punish aggression, so characters that don't have to approach get on his nerves.

I guess the thing I would recommend is to try to work with your friends on counterplay. Try to help them understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. Then help them to find ways to deal with it. You'll then have to find strategies against their answers. Hopefully that will make both you and your friends better players. Of course, that depends on your friends being interested in improving. If they just don't want to deal with stuff, then that's another story. there's not much you can do in that case short of playing another character or crippling your options by not using your character's strengths. I know I'm a more serious player than most of my friends, so I don't usually pull out my main when playing against them. It's more fun for them that way and it's more of a challenge for me, so it's a win-win.

Not that you have to do the same, that's just what works for my situation.

Last edited:

Pengo

Smash Rookie
On my part, I think you're probably fine. When I play against friends, they tend to complain, too. A lot of people just have to vent their frustration when dealing with playstyles and strategies they struggle with. One guy I know doesn't like that I play sword characters. He plays very defensively and likes to stay back and punish aggression, so characters that don't have to approach get on his nerves.

I guess the thing I would recommend is to try to work with your friends on counterplay. Try to help them understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. Then help them to find ways to deal with it. You'll then have to find strategies against their answers. Hopefully that will make both you and your friends better players. Of course, that depends on your friends being interested in improving. If they just don't want to deal with stuff, then that's another story. there's not much you can do in that case short of playing another character or crippling your options by not using your character's strengths. I know I'm a more serious player than most of my friends, so I don't usually pull out my main when playing against them. It's more fun for them that way and it's more of a challenge for me, so it's a win-win.

Not that you have to do the same, that's just what works for my situation.
Thanks! I'll make sure to mention this to my friends. It's nice to be reassured by a different person.

ToonTwink101

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1520-2582-6239
Explain to your friends that many characters have many different styles of play. If you're not using Toon Link's projectiles to their full potential you might as well just play someone else.

electroplankton

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2061-7231-0652
def experienced being called a projectile spammer when playing an irl friend who uses ike (who projectiles are decently effective vs, bc he has counter and is a damn good character) despite almost literally never using arrows and not at all spamming boomerang/bomb. as long as you're not one of those (young) links you play online who can't stop using arrows you're fine. my friend just wants me to attack him with sword so he can counter or hit me hard

Last edited:
Top Bottom