• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Progress [Project] Upscaling CSS Icons

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
So a friend and I recently finished making CSP's to let you know which costume your using in 20XX.

My friend had the brilliant idea of upscaling them since we took the pictures in high res and using them as custom textures. Here's the result,

After seeing how good it looked in comparison to the icons (these)

I took it upon myself to try and upscale these as well. I created a "proof-of-concept" with falco here

This was a quick mock-up but I think its definitely an improvement.

Since then, I've made a few more using the official art, I've found online / from their CSP texture. Here's a few previews of what I've got thus far.

----------------------->

----------------------->

----------------------->

----------------------->

This was basically accomplished by making a blank template

Vectoring it (badly) so it upscales nicely,

Vectoring the original text on each icon (couldn't find the exact font)

and mixing the two together and place the official character art / CSP texture in it.

---------------------->
///////////

I am aware the images I'm currently using are not the highest quality + not all of the original CSS icon poses are available with the full body. We really don't have access to the original renders used here (thanks HAL) and all the promotional art for these characters max out at around 200p.

the only place I've seen some of the renders needed are in official strategy guides

These guides seem to be the best source of these original, high quality renders.

If anyone has any of these guides / would like to assist in making these icons with me, please let me know.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I remember seeing somewhere on the Melee HD forums that the text is likely just hand-drawn due to inconsistencies or something between letters. What is the new resolution of your CSS icon select images? Are you "loading" them in Dolphin or actually injecting them into the MnSlChr file?

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
I remember seeing somewhere on the Melee HD forums that the text is likely just hand-drawn due to inconsistencies or something between letters. What is the new resolution of your CSS icon select images? Are you "loading" them in Dolphin or actually injecting them into the MnSlChr file?
The new resolution is about 182x159, about 3x as big as the orginals, and yes they are being loaded through dolphin.

Zeus_Da_master

Smash Journeyman
are you saying that you got the actual icons on the CSS bigger? i was just about to make a post about that. i'd like to increase the size of them so that i can see the image in them better. even if only 10% bigger, every little bit helps

Acryte

Smash Ace
Nm super old necro. If you want the HD CSS icons Stache has a pack of them, and I also have a pack of them. Depends on what kinda style you like.

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Nm super old necro. If you want the HD CSS icons Stache has a pack of them, and I also have a pack of them. Depends on what kinda style you like.

oh shoot, i didnt check the dates of posts. sorry. Stache, is it? i may check it out

Stache

Smash Cadet
The icons I have are not the renders that unclepunch is looking for

Top Bottom