• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project: Thank You Sakurai! Calling All Smash Fans and Artists! Under New Ownership!

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Welcome to Project: Thank You Sakurai! (Co-owned by myself, Luigi#1, Pacack and the amazing APC99)

This thread's goal is a simple one in concept. We plan to make a virtual "card" for Masahiro Sakurai, the director of the Smash Bros. series. This card will go on to express our gratitude for him and express our desire to see his health issues resolved. (If you're not aware of his condition, he has developed calcific tendonitis in both of his arms which makes working as director extremely painful at times.)

Our plan is divided into the following phases:

Phase 0 (Ongoing): Signatures This phase does NOT end. We are looking for signatures from members of the Smashboards community and their friends and/or family. Signing can be done with one's name, initials, or with an online alias if one is uncomfortable with sharing their name or initials. If you are unable to sign, then you may still request to have your support listed in the area for non-signers. (This is done because those who provide signatures have to put more work into this than those who simply ask to be listed in the non-sign area.) If you are willing to sign, do so on a piece of paper (preferably large so that it may be re-sized) and use a scanner to get it onto your computer before uploading it to an image upload site and posting it in this thread.

Phase 1: Polling. We ask for supporters of this project to vote in our poll, which can be found here. This poll includes which characters you would like to see on the card and how many pages you think the card should have. Completed.

Phase 2: The message. We will have members send in short messages to be used as the main message on the front page of the card. These messages will be voted on and the most popular one will be selected for use in the card. @Venus of the Desert Bloom has agreed to help us with translating the message into Japanese and deserves to be sent ridiculous amounts of thank you messages.

Phase 3: Art Submission. While we've been taking art regardless, this is the period that will involve the completion of art for all characters (that have made it in). This phase will not end until we have at least one piece of artwork for every character. A poll will also be done during this phase, the link to which is in this post.

Phase 4 (Current): The art contest. People will vote for the art sent in of the characters that have been voted to be included on the card. Please note that characters have been limited to those that are from games of Sakurai's or those that are Smash veterans that have not previously been cut. Only one piece of art will be included on the card for each character, and voting will be done in mini phases (Phase 3A, 3B, etc.). You may not vote for your own artwork. The only other limitation on the art is that it must not be overly huge. Might be a good idea to have the full character showing too.

Phase 5: Sakurai. Since the only way we really know to get ahold of Sakurai is with Twitter, we will ask willing participants to send the completed card to Sakurai over their personal Twitter accounts. We will research what time Sakurai tends to get on so that we can have the greatest chance of getting him to see it. We ask that every person limit themselves to three times of sending it per day as to not completely spam him.

And that's it! Currently, we are on Phases 0 and 3. If you would like your signature to be added, would like to be added to the list of non-signers, would like to be included in one of the competitions for the character art, and/or would like to be listed as one of the Twitter users, please say so below. If you have any suggestions, APC, Luigi#1, Pacack and I will happily hear them.

List of Characters to be included (All already have at least one piece of artwork):
Mario ✓
Luigi ✓
Peach ✓
Bowser ✓
Donkey Kong ✓
Yoshi ✓
*Wario ✓
Link ✓
Zelda ✓
Samus ✓
Pit ✓
Ice Climbers ✓
R.O.B. ✓
Kirby ✓
Meta Knight ✓
King Dedede ✓
Captain Olimar ✓
Fox ✓
Captain Falcon ✓
Pikachu ✓
Jigglypuff ✓
Marth ✓
Ness ✓
Mr. Game & Watch ✓
Snake ✓
Sonic ✓
Villager ✓
Mega Man ✓
Wii Fit Trainer ✓
Rosalina ✓
Little Mac ✓
Master Hand ✓
Sandbag ✓
Gooey ✓
**Adeline ✓
Generic Waddle Dee ✓
Bandana Waddle Dee ✓
Waddle Doo ✓
Knuckle Joe ✓
Palutena ✓
Viridi ✓
Dark Pit ✓
Medusa ✓
Hades ✓
Eggplant Wizard ✓

*Please also note that Wario missed by literally one vote, and he was requested enough to be added to the list since people didn't realize how much they wanted him until after voting had concluded.

**Please note that I gave Shin F. the chance to vote for one additional character to add since he had just missed the poll, and he voted for Adeline. Otherwise, she would not have made it in.

List of Signatures (✓ means that I have their signature already):
Pacack ✓
Beamer (Non-Smashboards user) ✓
AndreaAC ✓
Egg. ✓
relaxedexorcist ✓
BigAxle ✓
Aduross ✓
Conren ✓
Swift Fox ✓
WindozeNT ✓
Shin F. ✓
Zonderion ✓
Hawk Flindaeton ✓
Networker1 ✓
The Curious Volnutt ✓
Luigi#1 ✓
Farrac ✓
haydossy ✓
Keybladeguy ✓
SuperSegaSonicSS

List of Non-Signing Supporters:
SuperBrawler
Souless_shadow
CliffJumper
dimensionsword64
ThatLucas
Rocket Raccoon
Brawler610
Kikwi-Kiwi
MisterVideoGaming
False Sense
lonekonwolf/Kon
Zzuxon
fenyx4
Chucklehead Tom
PadWarrior
RODO
-JerAd-
Ryuma
KoRLumen
Ixbran
Tepig2000
Young Horsetail
Ulti-Bman
Protom
Mechonis
Poots
Chandelure
PlayerXIII
Mario_and_Sonic_Guy
LunchPolice
Khao
SmasherMaster
Shaaack
TaichiYaegashi
PowerOfAllDragons
dk64kingkrool
FireEmblemnier
andimidna
andalsoandy
NintendoKnight
Desu~
majora_787
Frostwraith
Opossum
Scoliosis Jones
Varia31
FinalStarmen
TailzWolf
insomniac19
aldelaro5
itsameluigi1290
Priap0s
Zyfoe
sonicbrawler182
zoroarkrules25
Plain Yogurt
CrimsonDivine
BaPr
Thor
AquaNinja
SorrowOfAcheron
Skyfox2000
WhiteEaglePL
cpt-brandon
mmKALLL
Zero Suit Wario
crazyal02
Minty_
2ndComing
theinstituter
Jerodak
Superw0rri0
Oddyesy
Lucas
Altais
nessokman
icecreamlights
M15t3R E
Sykkamorre
8-bit Man
Captain Norris
APC99
Tornado_Man
Mega Bidoof
hinata2000100
Kevandre
SchAlternate
Swampasaur
TewnLeenk (A.G.)
CrophMaruMariolu2W0vol41PEeeeeek
YoshiandToad
Cobalsh
BluePikmin11
LackadaisyAlax (RelaxAlax)
Ryan. (Ryan)
D-idara
LoneR.O.B.
TORNADO BUS DRIVER
Hotfeet444
Mask0 (MaskO'Gears)
smashbro29
lordvaati
LoneR.O.B.
Sobreviviente
KaBlamJamDan
Radical Beam
Anomilus
Marthmario
PixelPasta
Xenoblaze
Glaciacott
Neo Zero
KenboCalrissian
Tailisu10
kyokoro_pamuyo
Ekans647
Kimera
smashbroskilla (6000pounds)
ClubbyBear
ethanrodgers223
Pékaßlu
Dropkick JD
Sahfarry
Deoxys911
eleanorvonclere
SerPete
Moon Monkey
liets
tehponycorn
Iko
Monado_III
DE235
Buddha
TheSmoothLander

List of Artists:
APC99
SmasherMaster
Tornado_Man
Kikwi-Kiwi
RSF-Blue bomber
Mega Bidoof
SchAlternate
Captain Hotcakes (?)
AndreaAC
Egg.
YoshiandToad
relaxedexcorcist
NoPLo
Cobalsh
BigAxle
LackadaisyAlax (RelaxAlax)
D-idara
Aduross (?)
LoneR.O.B. (?)
Hotfeet444
LunchPolice
LoneR.O.B.
Conren
Jão
lordvaati
Sobreviviente
Mario_and_Sonic_Guy
WindozeNT
KaBlamJamDan
PixelPasta
Anomilus
Networker1
Glaciacott
Nikes
andimidna
Tailisu10
kyokoro_pamuyo (?)
ethanrodgers223
Shin F.
TailzWolf
andalsoandy
Pékaßlu
Dropkick JD
itsameluigi1290
UltimateWario
Luigi#1
Zero Suit Wario
Zyfoe
Thegamerguy131
liets
nessokman
relaxedexorcist
haydossy
Iko
Nargacuga
StarBot
SuperSegaSonicSS

List of Twitter-Users:
Pacack
LackadaisyAlax (@RelaxAlax)
WindozeNT (@ WindozeNT WindozeNT )
Shin F. (@ShinFiremage)
thethirdkoopa (@Thirdkoopa)
crazyal02 (@crazyal02)
StarBot (@StarBot_)

Art Gallery:

u0-eus-d1-8502a1a0077a4a818c4f22a8ac2fc29a^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Put me on the signatures list please. I would love to thank Sakurai for giving us so many great games.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Put me on the signatures list please. I would love to thank Sakurai for giving us so many great games.
You'll be added momentarily. When you have the chance, please either post your signature in this thread or send it to me in a conversation.
Non Signing please.
You'll be added momentarily.

Don't forget to vote in the poll, you guys!

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
You'll be added momentarily. When you have the chance, please either post your signature in this thread or send it to me in a conversation.
Oh crap sorry. I meant to say Non signatures. Sorry for the inconvenience.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Can you put me as a signature.

I'll just use my Smashbaords account name, either that or TelevisionGamer, which is what the rest of the internet knows me as.

Should Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede and Pit appear with their series as well?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Can you put me as a signature.

I'll just use my Smashbaords account name, either that or TelevisionGamer, which is what the rest of the internet knows me as.

Should Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede and Pit appear with their series as well?
Gladly! I provided that option specifically for people who were uncomfortable with sharing their actual signatures.

Yes. I just didn't want to put them on the list twice. (Also, I'm surprised that Pit isn't being voted for more on the poll.)

Last edited:

ThatLucas

Smash Rookie
Sign me up! Non-Signature supporter. Wish I had arts skills.
Also, pun intended.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I'll do it! Non-signing, please. :)

Also, there's no poll.

Edit: Sorry, I'm stupid.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Put me on the non-signing list. I don't feel like putting my signature online. Use my username, please!

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh I'd love to make a thank you gift for Sakurai. If I were to finally get off my lazy bum and started drawing again that is....

Will be looking forward to how this turns out though.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'll do it! Non-signing, please. :)

Also, there's no poll.
Look in phase 1 ;)
Sign me up! Non-Signature supporter. Wish I had arts skills.
Also, pun intended.
I can't draw.

Non-Signing Skills under my username.
You'll both be added.
Put me on the non-signing list. I don't feel like putting my signature online. Use my username, please!
You can also sign with your initials or with your alias if you'd like. That's actually what my brother did.

Oh I'd love to make a thank you gift for Sakurai. If I were to finally get off my lazy bum and started drawing again that is....

Will be looking forward to how this turns out though.
What part(s) of the list would you like to be added to?
Can you put me as an artist?
Would you also like to be added as a signing or non-signing supporter? Derp. You already are.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
My original plan was to mainly focus on Sakurai's main series, that is, Kirby and Kid Icarus. I really want to see some of the better artists try to do some characters justice. I may make my own Meta Knight to have you guys vote on, but otherwise I think that the community drawing the characters would be MUCH cooler.

@Hotfeet444
@SchAlternate
@BigAxle

Some of the coolest artists I know, would you guys like to draw for the project?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
My original plan was to mainly focus on Sakurai's main series, that is, Kirby and Kid Icarus. I really want to see some of the better artists try to do some characters justice. I may make my own Meta Knight to have you guys vote on, but otherwise I think that the community drawing the characters would be MUCH cooler.

@Hotfeet444
@SchAlternate
@BigAxle

Some of the coolest artists I know, would you guys like to draw for the project?
Hey APC! I never asked; did you want to be added as a signing or non-signing supporter on the list?

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer

@Hotfeet444
@SchAlternate
@BigAxle

No @YoshiandToad?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I guess the non-signing list would do for now. However, if you need an artist I might be able to assist (depending on what kind of character you want me to draw).
Any character in the poll that gets high enough votes will be considered for addition to the card. Any Smash Bros. veterans that have never been cut or any Kirby or Kid Icarus characters are eligible. Any of them interest you? We don't have a lot of artists yet.
Add me as signing and artist.
Will be done momentarily.
Oh, he definitely needs to be considered. Maybe @AndreaAC could draw Samus?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't know @YoshiandToad that well, so it flew over my head. But, he should join, I've sene his work in the Toad thread.

Also, maybe some Ridley supporters can draw for us. As seen in the title, there's a LOT of artsy folks in there.
I'll tell them in the thread that this thing's going on. See if they're interested.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Go ahead and add me as a signing supporter! :)

I can also send you a drawing I made of Sonic if you want.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Any character in the poll that gets high enough votes will be considered for addition to the card. Any Smash Bros. veterans that have never been cut or any Kirby or Kid Icarus characters are eligible. Any of them interest you? We don't have a lot of artists yet.
Well I mostly enjoy drawing the simpler designed characters such as Toon Link, Ness, Mario, Sonic etc though I'm not as good at drawing more complex looking characters such as Ganondorf, Samus and Bowser, usually when I draw them they wind up being too big on paper. I'll see what I can do I guess.

I suppose this would be a good excuse for me to get back into drawing again.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Go ahead and add me as a signing supporter! :)

I can also send you a drawing I made of Sonic if you want.
Sonic is currently very high on the poll, so definitely consider sending it in when we get to that stage.

Well I mostly enjoy drawing the simpler designed characters such as Toon Link, Ness, Mario, Sonic etc though I'm not as good at drawing more complex looking characters such as Ganondorf, Samus and Bowser, usually when I draw them they wind up being too big on paper. I'll see what I can do I guess.

I suppose this would be a good excuse for me to get back into drawing again.
Mario, Sonic, and Ness are all fairly high on the poll, so I'd pick on of them.
I rather prefer my username being used in the card. :)
That's what I mean by "alias". Basically, you just sign your username.
sign me up. im an artist
Will do. Do you want to be added to the signing or non-signing supporters?
Non-signer for me!
You'll be added momentarily!

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I think we should also include the cut 5 from Melee to Brawl. Or at least, put them on the poll.

Last edited:
Top Bottom