• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Slippi Update Could Usher in a New Era of Melee

Slippi.jpg

The software engineering god Jas “Fizzi” Laferriere has done it again. Seven months after quitting his job to focus on the software's development full-time, Fizzi has just released the latest Project Slippi update. It’s safe to say his labor of love, originally released mid-year 2018, has been revolutionary for Super Smash Bros. Melee, and this update could potentially mark the beginning of a completely new era, à la Melee documentary.

The update boasts integrated matchmaking, automatic updates, replays, and the pièce de résistance—rollback netcode. Finally we can say goodbye to the woes of ping spikes, clunky lag, and de facto region locks.
MicroMelee released a good breakdown of the update and a setup walk through:

And here's William "Leffen" Hjelte's review of the update:

While Netplay has given Melee players an outlet during quarantine, it just couldn't compare to CRT play—until now. The rollback netcode is a complete game changer and feels like a breath of fresh air. I wonder if it might entice the countless Ultimate players frustrated by its online play to give Melee a try.

Whether you're a veteran Melee player or looking to try something "new," you can get started with the update here. The software is of course still in development; keep up with its progress by following Project Slippi and Fizzi on Twitter and by joining the Project Slippi Discord. And to reiterate, Fizzi quit his job to work on Project Slippi full-time, so show his Patreon some love if you can.

Author’s Note: I personally have avoided Netplay in the past because of lag, so I’m thrilled about this update. Have you tried it out yet? Either way, let us know what you think of it in the comments!

EmaLeigh "$$$$" O'Neal

Comments

I am a bit confused here: wasn't online introduced to the Smash series at Brawl?
Did the Melee community mod themselves their own online system into the game?

This all seems exciting nevertheless.

I am a bit confused here: wasn't online introduced to the Smash series at Brawl?
Did the Melee community mod themselves their own online system into the game?

This all seems exciting nevertheless.
yes we melee player have netplay through dolphin emulator and this is now a new better version look sick

Incredible stuff. I hope Nintendo keeps their hands off of this project, because it’s a testament to how beloved and important Melee is to the community.

I haven’t touched Melee in over a decade but I always love to see the game get love and attention. I know it gets lots of flak but it’s a seriously solid game and the fact it’s persisted over the past decade and more Is a true testament of its staying power. Fans are still discovering new tech and mechanics in the game. Hopefully this brings new life in an already great community.

I haven’t touched Melee in over a decade but I always love to see the game get love and attention. I know it gets lots of flak but it’s a seriously solid game and the fact it’s persisted over the past decade and more Is a true testament of its staying power. Fans are still discovering new tech and mechanics in the game. Hopefully this brings new life in an already great community.
it’s like a fine wine!

This is so, so great. As a software developer myself, I can comfortably say that this is an absolute technical marvel. It inspired me and my old college Melee buddy to bust it out and play for the first time since quarantine started, and we had a blast. Although we obviously had to break through the rust, I was back to getting my down throw tech chases and stomp->knees in no time. I've really enjoyed Ultimate, but there is truly no game like Melee. This is an absolute gift, and I'm so happy it's here. :falconmelee:

I think this will be outstanding for the Melee community and, dare to dream, Melee's chances for a return to EVO.

Well that’s good for those players.

honestly given it’s melee, I figured “Project Slippi” was just replacing every character with someone from star fox and a variation on the move set.

now we need a way to craft and distribute training scenarios, like a way better version of unclepunch

This is absolutely revolutionary!
It is amazing how easily you can burn through 4-5 hours in this new version of Slippi.
This is just the beta, and it will only continue to improve. I have such high hopes for this. Keep up the Amazing work, Fizzi!

I didn't even know this was even possible; and even less with this quality!

Nice job! This project truly is the future of Smash, even in the darkest night, the brightest day will rise again.

D
I must say, the headline should straight up say Melee online because most wouldn't assume so and click on it.

This is an incredible deal

been trying out the new rollback with slippi recently. Honestly it's amazing, I can play on a VPN with someone across the world and have a better experience than if I was playing netplay with someone in the same state as me. This multiplayer is lightyears better than even the Ultimate multiplayer the chronies at Nintendo are using. Thanks so much slippi team, now I am hype to play Melee again!

Top Bottom