• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Visual Fixing/Updating Thread [Lastest Update: 10/03/15]

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
What do you mean?
I think he means the clipping with the Hero's Sword and the Master Sword glowey stuff. To me, it's not too big an issue.

Though I'm not him so I can't quite make that judgement, only a guess.
I'm sorry, Dad. I hope I didn't fail you.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I think he means the clipping with the Hero's Sword and the Master Sword glowey stuff. To me, it's not too big an issue.

Though I'm not him so I can't quite make that judgement, only a guess.
I'm sorry, Dad. I hope I didn't fail you.
@ Nanobuds Nanobuds ^This

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Oh. Yeah I'm meaning to look into that, but I haven't had the time yet. More important things to get done on the to-do list.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Nanodad, you've definitely heard this before... I try to make you proud.

So this may go under the "THOUGHTS SECTION", but the "red" and "white" palette swaps for default WarioWare Wario bothered me to an extreme cannibalistic degree. They were too similar and anytime they were in the same match, everyone got confused simultaneously and started beating each-other. Lots of blood. I lost a cousin.

So I made a fix:

Now you can tell that he's red!

Oh. Yeah I'm meaning to look into that, but I haven't had the time yet. More important things to get done on the to-do list.
Yeh, I never even noticed it until people started pointing it out.

Last edited:

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
I'm definitely a fan of the CSPs, but there are a couple things I think could be improved (or at least looked at).

In general, I prefer to not see anything get cut off by the top edge of the CSP - for the original Brawl CSPs, it's only Pit and Olimar that do this. PM also does it with Roy, and I think some of the alternate CSPs. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but there are a few where it just barely happens.

So for Diddy Kong, for example, it's just the tops of his fingers that are cut off, and I'd like to see a slight adjustment so that they're entirely in frame. Similarly for the Ice Climbers, Squirtle's alternate pose, and Lucas's alt pose. Maybe also King Dedede - his normal hammer seems to be just touching the top, but his alternate outfit in the standard pose is clearly going off the top.

Another issue is Diddy Kong's tail - it goes off to the left, and then just the tip comes back in frame, and I don't think it's really clear what the tip is doing there. Somewhat similarly, Falco's alt pose has just his, um, lets call them fingers in the frame, but you can't see his hand, and it seems a little awkward.

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
I'm definitely a fan of the CSPs, but there are a couple things I think could be improved (or at least looked at).

In general, I prefer to not see anything get cut off by the top edge of the CSP - for the original Brawl CSPs, it's only Pit and Olimar that do this. PM also does it with Roy, and I think some of the alternate CSPs. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but there are a few where it just barely happens.

So for Diddy Kong, for example, it's just the tops of his fingers that are cut off, and I'd like to see a slight adjustment so that they're entirely in frame. Similarly for the Ice Climbers, Squirtle's alternate pose, and Lucas's alt pose. Maybe also King Dedede - his normal hammer seems to be just touching the top, but his alternate outfit in the standard pose is clearly going off the top.

Another issue is Diddy Kong's tail - it goes off to the left, and then just the tip comes back in frame, and I don't think it's really clear what the tip is doing there. Somewhat similarly, Falco's alt pose has just his, um, lets call them fingers in the frame, but you can't see his hand, and it seems a little awkward.
Hmmm, the biggest problem I have is that I would need to re-render them again if I were to go through with re-doing the CSPs with the top taken into consideration, I mainly try to match it up with the original as close as possible, mainly by placing them as an overlay and matching the position as close as possible, in some cases they may cut off at top but I never really notice a huge issue with it personally. (That said I can totally understand why it can be annoying to look at and if more people think the same I'll probably have to re-do it)

EDIT: Actually I will in fact take a look into this when I can!

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Wario and red stuff
To be honest, vBrawl recolors for Wario's red team color never seemed too out of place.
The gloves were never a defining part of Wario, at all (in my opinion). The centerpieces of the costume are (at least in my opinion yet again), the largest and most identifiable objects such as the jacket. One could argue the helmet, but eh.

In the middle of the fight, the color of the gloves won't make a difference when you're speeding around dodging and smacking stuff in a teams battle. Wario's large frame (and as a consequence, his large jacket) are what you'll notice first before noticing the other details. Hell, you could even argue that his large stomach is what you'll notice first.

IDK man, I just don't see how you could get confused about it :X

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
that I said something really funny
You're absolutely right in terms of what's most defining... But it's not the largest because a lot of Wario's moves changes his size, for instance, his hand grows with his forward smack. And as you said potentially, the helmet... The helmet and jacket for the two swaps are almost exact inverses of each-other, so I switched them. I also feel like it would take a "blur test" for lack of a better term: As you said, with the speeding, dodging, and that tiny little vest, it's hard to tell, since the blur of colour is the same for the two characters.
It's not at all an issue in team battle, but in a free for all where two people main Wario and like those particular colours, it's hard for me to tell.

I decided to do a test. Looking at Wario's standard position, the three colours that are the most obvious (to me) are his shirt/belly, his vest, and his helmet/gloves. I took one texture from each, laid them out, and compared the colours.

As you can see, it's not even a different palette! They're the same colours (except for that red) in a different order. This is poop!

My "fix" simply switches a few colours, making them more their own, more unique and iconic. It also allows for the opportunity of more purple. Project M loves purple.

Something I did not mention is another change I provided... I also switched the buttons, the belt, and a few other details, so that the red palette focuses more on the warm colour spectrum, while the white swap is more monochromatic. Each texture, other than the purple, is from the two palette swaps.

I SWAPPED THE SWAPS.

Does anyone have any major experience in the arts and colour coordination? I don't, I'm no expert, I just thought it'd look prettier with different colours.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
I am so lost as to why virgil is in a smash thread in which he has no apppearance nor reference to. That being said, MVC3 is so pretty.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
But it's not the largest because a lot of Wario's moves changes his size, for instance, his hand grows with his forward smack.
That's like changing the color of the Falcon punch because they all look the same lol.

you said, with the speeding, dodging, and that tiny little vest, it's hard to tell, since the blur of colour is the same for the two characters.
I don't know about you, but with or without blurring and stuff, black and red look different. Even in play, when Wario is spinning and jumping.

My "fix" simply switches a few colours, making them more their own, more unique and iconic. It also allows for the opportunity of more purple. Project M loves purple.
I don't know how switching the colors makes it unique or iconic, to be honest. The costumes were easily identifiable without the need to edit the gloves That coupled with the fact, at least to me, the purple just doesn't seem to fit. It seems almost arbitrarily picked.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I am so lost as to why virgil is in a smash thread in which he has no apppearance nor reference to. That being said, MVC3 is so pretty.
Because "Now... I'm motivated!" to do those Roy and Mewtwo sfx fixes today that I said I'd do oh so long ago for this thread... Well at least Roy... Mewtwo is gonna take a tad bit longer due to some very necessary experimentation. The difference between these fixes and the Roy/Mewtwo mods already available in my thread... They're more compatible with vanilla PM sounds/modz... and therefore mostly any .sawnd files you decide to put over them... I recall people having issues with some Zero over Roy .sawnd mod or some such? This might for the most-ish part fix that... I can only guarantee *increased* compatibility... meaning he may still not be fully compatible with other .sawnd files... but it'll at least be better than befo' breh!

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
That's like changing the color of the Falcon punch because they all look the same lol.
Heeeey, I like that idea!
This is a joke please don't take me seriously.
Okay I'll admit that sounds kinda cool.
Don't judge me.

I don't think it's like that, since the punch is only occasional. If anything, I'd say it's closer to the changes they made to the Lucario, Olimar, Sonic, and blue Marth swaps.

I don't know about you, but with or without blurring and stuff, black and red look different. Even in play, when Wario is spinning and jumping.

I don't know how switching the colors makes it unique or iconic, to be honest. The costumes were easily identifiable without the need to edit the gloves That coupled with the fact, at least to me, the purple just doesn't seem to fit. It seems almost arbitrarily picked.
That's the problem though... There really is no "black and red" because both swaps are equally black and red according to the palette.
That's a lie, the "black" swap is more red. Huehuehue.

I guess all I can do is disagree, I don't have any facts to back it up an opinion other than getting frustrated that I don't know which Wario is which in a match, haha! Try having a 1 v 1 with the two Wario colours, or having two CPU's duke it out in those colours while placing bets on one.

Except for the purple bit, that is absolutely true, I did only pick it because Project M

Are there any Wario mains who like the particular colours in question, or artists who have had design classes? I've had a bit of research and experience with colours, palettes, warms and cools, having done a bit of modeling work myself and volunteering at an art museum... But I've never done anything official outside of that, so I feel like I can't back up opinion with opinion without being an expert in the field. hehe.

The creative freedom with the two swaps is lacking, since they're exactly the inverse of each other. Exactly.
okay there's a bit of blue on the "white" one but whatever

My posts are too long.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Heeeey, I like that idea!
This is a joke please don't take me seriously.
Okay I'll admit that sounds kinda cool.
Don't judge me.
Making that costume based would be more of a hassle than it's worth

I don't think it's like that, since the punch is only occasional. If anything, I'd say it's closer to the changes they made to the Lucario, Olimar, Sonic, and blue Marth swaps.
Blue Marth swap? AFAIK, Marths' blue is the same as vBrawl.
And the same can be said about Wario's F-tilt. The punch is occasional. It's not like jumping or running which is done almost constantly.

That's the problem though... There really is no "black and red" because both swaps are equally black and red according to the palette.
Then it's easy to identify what Nintendo wanted to be what defines the identity of the costume: the jacket. It's still not really that difficult, at least for me.

Except for the purple bit, that is absolutely true, I did only pick it because Project M
I think that their purple is more of a indigo-blueish thing.

Das just me tho

The creative freedom with the two swaps is lacking, since they're exactly the inverse of each other. Exactly.
okay there's a bit of blue on the "white" one but whatever
Creative freedom op

pl0x n3rf

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Has discussion on this thread ever been so INSTENSE?!!
Making that costume based would be more of a hassle than it's worth
Yup. And they'd have to corrupt the glory of the Falcon Punch.

Blue Marth swap? AFAIK, Marths' blue is the same as vBrawl.
Nup:
bwip

And the same can be said about Wario's F-tilt. The punch is occasional. It's not like jumping or running which is done almost constantly.
Yup.

Then it's easy to identify what Nintendo wanted to be what defines the identity of the costume: the jacket. It's still not really that difficult, at least for me.
Nut fer meh.

I think that their purple is more of a indigo-blueish thing.

Das just me tho

Creative freedom op

pl0x n3rf
A chuckle, and a guffaw.

I wish I got other opinions on this, see if it truly is a bowl of krunk or nay. I'm glad you contributed though, maybe I've just lost it.

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
I personally dig those Wario recolors and I agree with the reason behind them. Regardless of whether or not people confuse them for each other, I do think that they're color schemes are too similar. Removing the red from the black and white costume helps balance it out more.

Gripes.

Smash Cadet
Really loving this thread. Its so incredibly thorough and efficient!
Thought I'd bring up something, not sure if it was already covered but Ganondorf's alternate seems to be missing a tiny detail;
Those little squares on his stomach dont appear on the ingame model. The squares do appear on official artwork of Ganondorf for the original N64 title but they were removed from the 3DS artwork, even though they're on his model for 3DS. Im assuming that due to the inconsistency of the design from official sources the PMDT just said 'screw it. and left them out since its such a small detail but I like it I think it looks kinda cool and is closer to the old artwork.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Really loving this thread. Its so incredibly thorough and efficient!
Thought I'd bring up something, not sure if it was already covered but Ganondorf's alternate seems to be missing a tiny detail;
Those little squares on his stomach dont appear on the ingame model. The squares do appear on official artwork of Ganondorf for the original N64 title but they were removed from the 3DS artwork, even though they're on his model for 3DS. Im assuming that due to the inconsistency of the design from official sources the PMDT just said 'screw it. and left them out since its such a small detail but I like it I think it looks kinda cool and is closer to the old artwork.
By jove you're right...

My mind has been bobbled.

Hedgie

Smash Apprentice
[quote="Those little squares on his stomach dont appear on the ingame model. The squares do appear on official artwork of Ganondorf for the original N64 title but they were removed from the 3DS artwork, even though they're on his model for 3DS. Im assuming that due to the inconsistency of the design from official sources the PMDT just said 'screw it. and left them out since its such a small detail but I like it I think it looks kinda cool and is closer to the old artwork.[/quote]
Good eye! c;

Last edited:

So this may go under the "THOUGHTS SECTION", but the "red" and "white" palette swaps for default WarioWare Wario bothered me to an extreme cannibalistic degree. They were too similar and anytime they were in the same match, everyone got confused simultaneously and started beating each-other. Lots of blood. I lost a cousin.

So I made a fix:

Now you can tell that he's red!

Yeh, I never even noticed it until people started pointing it out.
Wow, I seemed to have overlooked the similarities between the palettes. I usually cycle through them backwards, so it goes from classic Wario to my preffered color of choice. But, I can see, how this can cause an issue. I really like Nefnoj idea, because then I may actually use both the new pallets.

So I made a fix:
Having accidentally screwed Wario's textures up more than once because of this issue, I really appreciate your effort in making them look different from each other, top notch work man

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
I was wondering why nobody has pointed this out before, but Outset Toon Link has major holes in his hair.
Solution? I simply vertexed his hair/skin to cover the problematic parts (I used codex fixed boots model as a base).
I provided pics In case you want to see the various hair fixes:
DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhg7n304p1w3x6d/PM3.5 Fixed Outset Toon Link.rar?dl=0
I like this, a lot, I never noticed this and you went as far as to also put it together, nice!

Time to Main Toon Link me thinks

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
View attachment 47999Are Sonic's shoes supposed to flatten im not sure if that is intentional or not. Also sonic seems to be floating while crouching with only the tip of his noes touching the ground, this really bugs now that ive noticed it and a fix for it would be much appreciated
The shoes are also flatten when he rolls, it really bugs me as well.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
They are not. Same bug with BrawlBox as with the crouch animations.
No it's not. His feet are squished so they don't clip through the sphere model. It's intentionally ****ing programmed by the original devs. The crouching thing is an entirely different story. His feet are supposed to squish but the floating isn't correct.

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
No it's not. His feet are squished so they don't clip through the sphere model. It's intentionally ****ing programmed by the original devs. The crouching thing is an entirely different story. His feet are supposed to squish but the floating isn't correct.
I'm telling you it's not intentional. If you don't believe me, pick up Brawl, go to a match and either crouch or roll with Sonic and move the camera around. He won't have those problems. Now open BrawlBox and open a Sonic costume and then Brawl's FitMotion. That problem will appear in all those animations.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I'm telling you it's not intentional. If you don't believe me, pick up Brawl, go to a match and either crouch or roll with Sonic and move the camera around. He won't have those problems. Now open BrawlBox and open a Sonic costume and then Brawl's FitMotion. That problem will appear in all those animations.
Alright, I stand corrected.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Alright, I stand corrected.
Dude, you need to calm down lol

Hedgie

Smash Apprentice
I like this, a lot, I never noticed this and you went as far as to also put it together, nice!

Time to Main Toon Link me thinks
Can you combine this with the Toon Link Feet fix?

Top Bottom