• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

| Big D |

Smash Master
I think he's much better than most people give him credit for and a very viable choice for tournaments. A lot of people rate him lowly, or at least used to, but from what I've seen, most DDD players are really bad, so that correlation makes it hard for me take the popular opinion seriously. I hear you tore up BC with him, so you probably have a good idea about what he's capable of, though.

I do think he has a few faults that will cause him problems, but hopefully nothing insurmountable. His long jump-start and lack of extremely fast OoS options make Falco threatening, but only if the Falco is very familiar with DDD. There is nothing easier than a Falco that doesn't know the match-up, but ones that know how to pressure him without getting grabbed and ones that know what space he can control well and how he can approach are much trickier to land clean hits on. Of the match-ups I've played against very good players, that's actually the only one I'd be worried about, but it'll probably be a while before Falcos learn how it works.
Thanks for the input. I lost to a Falco pretty badly, but I believe that with some practice a grab = death. As for everyone else, I do believe no one else hard counters him.

And ftilt is godlike.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Bthrow->Ftilt^n Where n is number of times necessary.

Formula of death. xD (Especially against everyone who had no idea how to deal with DDD that day)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Honestly I think the biggest problems for DDD come down to 2 things.

1. He's a fatboy(nothing you can do about this though he's just that way)

2.His recovery, Although great when nobody is attacking you it becomes...problematic when being edge-guarded that he's not invincible during his UpB anymore. Then there is the matter of sweetspoting the UpB cancel that leads to a great deal of suicides at times.

All in All it's too complicated in a game that is now full of easy to pick up easy to have success with characters(see Ike). If you master DDD then he's Viable but I still see many ways to inprove him. With that said I wouldn't put him NEARLY on the level of people like Mr.GaymanWatch.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I don't think DDD's recovery is a huge issue since he rarely has to rely on up-B anyways. I generally live really, really long as DDD and it's a big part of why I'm able to win against characters that hit DDD more easily than he can hit them.

And like I said before, Falcos that aren't very familiar with the match-up are easy. The only Falco I've ever played that has given me a really hard time is Sung on a good day, but just touching him is tricky when he opts to play cautiously. And yeah, grabs on Falco do frequently lead to stocks. On most stages, you can just fthrow/bthrow him towards the nearest edge and that puts him in a terrible position as it is. Being at the edge against DDD is scary for a lot of characters, and Falco is especially flimsy. Even if there isn't an edge nearby, you can still get decent mileage off uthrow.

As for the other spacies, I don't particularly like fighting against Fox since he kills DDD easily and can camp well. I've consistently beaten the Foxes I've played thus far, but a great one could be threatening. Wolf is weird and his lasers are obnoxious, but he's bad at challenging an airborne DDD, so I don't mind just floating around center stage and either waiting for openings or gradually creating them.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
How well you can chaingrab, juggle, or gimp a fox/falco doesn't really have anything to do with how good a character is overall. You could argue Roy for High tier if that were the case.

With that Said I think DDD is at least Mid B-tier. He's only got a few people that trouble him so far. If only you could chuck those Waddle dee's faster at times lol. I HATE getting camped when using DDD. It's the gayest thing on the planet....

Samus-T

Smash Lord
So I havent been in this thread in awhile or on the boards in general for that matter. Any new game changing mechanics happen? IE the equivalent to the discovery of wave dashing in melee or character specific tricks?

:phone:

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Very much serious. DDD can approach from the air with ease; most projectile camping can be bypassed with well spaced Dairs, Fairs, and Bairs. Characters who can DD camp and / or downright outpace D3 can be dealt with in a similar manner. D3's amazing zoning game can quickly and effectively shut down a load of characters' movement options. Stage control in the form of nicely placed aerials / Ftilts / Dtilts, perfect wavelanding on platforms, and, in some situations, Waddle Dee / Doo Dashing goes a long way in DDD's fight against camping.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Hey i am going to start getting texture hack, i know the characters have been resized that doesnt effect anything right?

Also its been a while since i have done this, if anyone is kind enough to point me to the thread where it tells you what to name the textures and what name means what color i would be grateful

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
So I havent been in this thread in awhile or on the boards in general for that matter. Any new game changing mechanics happen? IE the equivalent to the discovery of wave dashing in melee or character specific tricks?

Not quite the equivalent of wavedashing or of equal usefulness, but almost any character with a walljump can do B-reversed wall jumps. Allows you to climb a single wall just b-reversing the jump momentum towards the wall for another jump via B-reversals. It's especially effective with someone like Lucario and Shiek who can quickly cancel a special move by hitting a shoulder button and be ready for another wall jump (aura sphere and needles, respectively), and characters who can walljump or wallcling out of a special, especially Ike. I watched a video showing it, lemme see if I can get the link.

EDIT: Here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2zSwQHZXJk

Samus-T

Smash Lord
Not quite the equivalent of wavedashing or of equal usefulness, but almost any character with a walljump can do B-reversed wall jumps. Allows you to climb a single wall just b-reversing the jump momentum towards the wall for another jump via B-reversals. It's especially effective with someone like Lucario and Shiek who can quickly cancel a special move by hitting a shoulder button and be ready for another wall jump (aura sphere and needles, respectively), and characters who can walljump or wallcling out of a special, especially Ike. I watched a video showing it, lemme see if I can get the link.

EDIT: Here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2zSwQHZXJk
I was already aware of this, but thank you for going out of your way to respond :)

Hopefully before the end of the day, I will be posting a video showcasing a handful of advanced techniques that I have discovered with Toon Link. Including a few that can be done with multiple characters. And it might be slightly mind blowing. So.... Get hype

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Hey i am going to start getting texture hack, i know the characters have been resized that doesnt effect anything right?

Also its been a while since i have done this, if anyone is kind enough to point me to the thread where it tells you what to name the textures and what name means what color i would be grateful

Character resizes wont affect textures. Here's the texture thread thing. http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-3932.html

You can get textures on www.brawlvault.net

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
How well you can chaingrab, juggle, or gimp a fox/falco doesn't really have anything to do with how good a character is overall. You could argue Roy for High tier if that were the case.
If you were responding to me, I never said this. I was just commenting on one of BigD's remarks.

With that Said I think DDD is at least Mid B-tier. He's only got a few people that trouble him so far. If only you could chuck those Waddle dee's faster at times lol. I HATE getting camped when using DDD. It's the gayest thing on the planet....
There's truth to what 9K says. Going airborne can help deal with camping pretty well.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Yo, posting from Smasher's Reunion Tournament.

King Funk said he tries to set up a small P:M tourney tomorrow. Most of UK will probably attend at least.

So there MIGHT be a P:M Tourney tomorrow =)

iLink

Smash Champion
Very much serious. DDD can approach from the air with ease; most projectile camping can be bypassed with well spaced Dairs, Fairs, and Bairs. Characters who can DD camp and / or downright outpace D3 can be dealt with in a similar manner. D3's amazing zoning game can quickly and effectively shut down a load of characters' movement options. Stage control in the form of nicely placed aerials / Ftilts / Dtilts, perfect wavelanding on platforms, and, in some situations, Waddle Dee / Doo Dashing goes a long way in DDD's fight against camping.

He has abysmal air speed. You are better off trying to get in on someone by powershielding then approaching from the air. I'm not saying you can't use his aerials against someone camping, but approaching in the air to fit off camping does not work well with him because he gets nowhere. It might just be because I play against campy toon/links which can throw their stuff at an angle, but I generally have very little success in going airborn to fight off camping.

On another note, I was unable to make it to the project m tournament today but I think GF ending in Ike dittos LOL

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Yes I'm trolling. I'm always trolling. Except when I'm not.
But even then I sometimes am. Or I wasn't but I make myself so.
Because sometimes what I wasn't becomes so much better than what I was, so I am what I wasn't once more.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Yeah, I won the PM tourney in California today. WF was me (Ike) versus AD (D3/Lucario), LF was AD (Marth) versus Remix (Lucario), and GF was me (Ike) vs Remix (Lucario). I don't have those videos, but I do have my run through Winner's Bracket. My most notable win was against Lucein's Wolf in Winner's R2, which was super early in the bracket as a result of seeding based on location instead of skill. (Lucien ended up placing 4th, losing to Remix's Lucario in LS.) Videos will be up shortly.

My main point is this: California thinks Ike is good. IL's Ike problem isn't totally because they don't know the match-up. If the PMBR plans on making changes to Ike, then at the very least, please nerf his ability to QD wall-jump indefinitely; it's almost unreasonable to deal with on large stages like Dracula's Castle, where Ike will live forever due to his weight and wall-jump recovery. Also, this could be a result of the current shield mechanics, but please make his FTilt less safe on shield.

Lastly, reverse BAir is sooooooooooooooo good.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Yeah, I won the PM tourney in California today. WF was me (Ike) versus AD (D3/Lucario), LF was AD (Marth) versus Remix (Lucario), and GF was me (Ike) vs Remix (Lucario). I don't have those videos, but I do have my run through Winner's Bracket. My most notable win was against Lucein's Wolf in Winner's R2, which was super early in the bracket as a result of seeding based on location instead of skill. (Lucien ended up placing 4th, losing to Remix's Lucario in LS.) Videos will be up shortly.

My main point is this: California thinks Ike is good. IL's Ike problem isn't totally because they don't know the match-up. If the PMBR plans on making changes to Ike, then at the very least, please nerf his ability to QD wall-jump indefinitely; it's almost unreasonable to deal with on large stages like Dracula's Castle, where Ike will live forever due to his weight and wall-jump recovery. Also, this could be a result of the current shield mechanics, but please make his FTilt less safe on shield.

Lastly, reverse BAir is sooooooooooooooo good.
PLEASE. please please please.

Take this dumb stupid jank crap out of this amazing game.
Ike is already annoying to deal with, easy to play, and a good character. The fact that he has a great recovery because of that is just absurd. Its the salt talking, but I wouldn't mind if the entire thing about walljumping out of side-b was taken out :glare:. He'd still be a good character:roymelee:

:awesome:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Just spam projectiles.
Projectiles>Ike.
Also combo him
Combos>Ike

Anyways, his wall jump decays pretty quickly. He can't use it to stall for long, as after about 5 jumps he gains next to no distance, and right after starts losing some. It is enough to recover on any walled stage, I'll give you that. But even on stages with walls, his recovery is only slightly above average. He can recover from low and close, top corners, and about a diagonal line inbetween. It's nowhere close to broken.
Besides, QDWJ benefits his edgeguarding.

Regardless, Ike is easy to play in theory. Play someone who knows their character, and you may have to push to win with Ike. He has severe weaknesses. Stop complaining about his strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom