• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Whats new

Is her dair Sheik's dair? That would be awesome.
Lol no, I just made her U-air have less knockback, but that made her a better at comboing it. Her current D-air is cooler than Sheik D-air.

And thank you for the feedback, Cmart. I'll probably tweak her again. I am a PSA n00b, but tryin'

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Whats new

her dair is not like sheik's. They did indeed remove the stall but instead of falling through she bounces off them

it works really well.....u can do things like dair>dair>uair> alot of things

Vigilante

Smash Lord
She has bouncy d-air, but if she does down B, it's her VBrawl down air that quickly descends. So she has options.

Edit: Oh and you can decide if she descends forward or back.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
is a new demo gonna be made anytime soon? the current proj m is SO different from the demo
SB said many pages ago that we would consider it when we fix the Landing detection codes. If I had permission from Shanus and pals, I would make a .gif that would sum up why the LD codes need fixing.

curry9186

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering why there's a recent trend with slow moving projectiles. Lucas, Wolf, Lucario, and Zelda all have pretty slow projectiles now. I know it's not finalized but is anybody going to have a fast one like Fox and Falco have?

kaizo13

Smash Champion
devs should just be careful not to overdo adding slow projectiles

although i can say the current additions seem fine (with the exception of zelda imo)

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering, but am I the only one that thinks Lucario looks nothing like a melee character (and by that I mean playstyle ofc). To me he looks more like a Marvel vs. Capcom character. Personally i just wanna see P:M actually come out with all the characters, I'm not sure I would want a character in the game like that i mean fox and falco are not even that space animaly lol (with the exception of waveshing ofc). I just hope he doesn't turn out being a retardedly broken character.

With all that said I definitely don't want P:M to feel like brawl in anyway not even in one character, but I also don't want it to feel like a 2D capcom fighter. In the end what ever the P:M crew decides I guess ill have to live with I just hope they tend to stick to the melee roots and don't get too carried away. Who knows I could be wrong it could just end up looking different then it feels guess I wont know for sure till they release a new demo.

This is just my 2 cents I hope I don't get hate responses that I am expecting lol.

Zelow

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
Just because he has one mechanic that is similar to 2D fighters, doesn't mean that he is completely different and alien to the rest of the game.
almost everything i saw in the video was like a 2d fighter the whole combo with the uppercut juggle down the the super engine to me feels like Capcom style play, but as I said I don't have the opportunity to play him so i wont know for sure what it is like till i do get that chance I am just basing my opinion off the video.

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
You should try watching some of the streams and stuff... LUCARIO looks really melee style in real combat imo...
Do they have a place that they upload the streams in an archive? I'm not always on this forum as you may notice as this is my first post in months lol. I would definitely be interested in seeing these videos.

jalued

Smash Lord
almost everything i saw in the video was like a 2d fighter the whole combo with the uppercut juggle down the the super engine to me feels like Capcom style play, but as I said I don't have the opportunity to play him so i wont know for sure what it is like till i do get that chance I am just basing my opinion off the video.
The video was also against a computer with absolutely no DI, smash DI or crouch cancelling. Thank god for DI :)

How the damage is done shouldn't make much of a difference in terms of balancing. Lucario's combos aren't exceptionally damaging, and his strings aren't abnormally safe.

The only difference being that he looks like a more traditional 2D Fighter while he's doing them.

And come on. Fighting type. That's glorious. >.>

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
How the damage is done shouldn't make much of a difference in terms of balancing. Lucario's combos aren't exceptionally damaging, and his strings aren't abnormally safe.

The only difference being that he looks like a more traditional 2D Fighter while he's doing them.

And come on. Fighting type. That's glorious. >.>
I definitely agree that the 2D style fighting games are awesome, but that is why I play them not why I play super smash. Like I said tho I will need to see more to deduct a more accurate opinion I suppose, but from what I have seen so far I am kinda leaning towards not liking him =/

The video was also against a computer with absolutely no DI, smash DI or crouch cancelling. Thank god for DI :)
I did notice that, but then it also makes me wonder 2 things.
1. if that is his main play type and it is just super easy to DI out of wont that just kinda make him lame? and I hear a lot of people saying his hit are not that meaning not being able to combo like that efficiently would hurt him?
2. if it isn't easy to DI out of doesn't that still basically make him like a 2D fighter still?

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
Ok, first off i think this is gonna be a double post and I am sorry for that, but i did find this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HvEiU3IEU and if that is the Lucario we are talking about then I was wrong about how I felt about him and think he would make a great addition to the P:M line up. You guys have to agree tho the one video launched by P:M totally made him look outside the smash realm.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
I just hope he doesn't turn out being a retardedly broken character.
do you really think P:M devs would spend 2 years+ of their lives to create something broken

i think not.
Lucario's new mechanics and playstyle fit perfectly well into Melee. So he makes you think of a 2D fighter?....and?

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
It isn't black and white.

Who is to say his combos are necessarily "hard" or "easy" to DI out of? Why can't they be somewhere in the middle?
Well I see what u are saying there, imo I think it will boil down to as easy or hard it is very hard to find a perfect medium, but now that I have seen him in a match I know that his play style has nothing to really do with crazy tight combos/juggles like the one video lead me to believe.

do you really think P:M devs would spend 2 years+ of their lives to create something broken

i think not.
Lucario's new mechanics and playstyle fit perfectly well into Melee. So he makes you think of a 2D fighter?....and?
Why do I feel like you are getting defensive? I was merely expressing my feelings towards the character, but do you think that Nintendo spends years and countless hours to make a broken/underpowered game, no but it happens I do honestly believe that P:M is doing the best they can to come out with the most balanced and competitive mod as they can, but balancing something like this is VERY hard and is most likely to not happen there will always be a tier list and that generally comes from one character being better then another hence not balanced and I understand that. Even they said them selves that nothing was set in stone so there maybe changes who knows?

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i didn't mean to come off as defensive....but you did come in here talking about Lucario not looking like a Melee character and you leaning towards not liking him, when u hadn't even seen him in a single match.

/after watching match = mind changed :cool:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Lucario's on-hit cancel system was pretty much made with traditional fighting games in mind so that we can have a character that fits the style of those who prefer traditional 2D fighters. It adds a new style to the game. However, it was balanced for a Melee environment and DI, knockback growth and other factors matter. Lucario works exactly the same as another Melee character but can combp using jabs, tilts ad smashes. The only difference is that his kill moves when used alone are inefficient. In that sense, that wasn't JCaesar's best match, because I believe the tourney held by Chibo started unreasonably late and he just wanted to go home, XD. But in general, if you want to kill, you can use a fast attack like a jab, perhaps a tilt that position your foe and rack up more damage, and a finisher, a smash. That would be a good moderate string.

He's just a Melee character that depends on ground comboes more. instead of air combat and short-hop-fast-falling strikes. Sure, it's useful for him, but less so that say, a spacie. All universal mechanics, he can use as well. I find it strange in the first place to call foul play about on-hit cancel in a game that is known for its diversity which has 35 characters that play completely differently.

What I don't get is you calling spacies not spacie-like. aren't Fox and Falco by definition, what we referred to as spacies? Because in my version, with landing detection fixed on them, they feel exactly like the Melee definition of a spacie.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Whats new

how unoriginal do you think we are? wtf?

I'm wondering why there's a recent trend with slow moving projectiles. Lucas, Wolf, Lucario, and Zelda all have pretty slow projectiles now. I know it's not finalized but is anybody going to have a fast one like Fox and Falco have?
so toon link, ROB, link, ivysaur, ZSS, etc. aren't chars?
additionally you seem to underestimate "slow moving projectiles" quite a bit. projectiles, or even regular attacks, do NOT have to actually hit to matter. the application of pressure and limiting options increases the likelihood of a mistake being made and thus the character having a chance to start a combo or string. Samus' missiles are like that but people keep thinking they're meant for damage because bad players get hit by them.

& you guys are dumb sometimes. balance is having a game where the worst matchups are ~65-35 and can realistically be overcome through player skill, not EVERYONE IS THE SAME VIABILITY

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
well put. when someone throws out projectiles more then once in a while, i just get to start thinking , these are adding up, i dont want to get hit anymore, things like a charged samus blast, become a mind game when its sitting there flashing. you dont want to get hit by any weak projectile for the entirety of the match. especially ones that will kill you when you have killing percentages.

nice to meet a few of yall yesterday. monk, toaster, and strongbad (alphabetical order). wish i could have bee'essed with you guys a bit more. that room was really starting to give my nose a brainshock. >_<

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
is a new demo gonna be made anytime soon? the current proj m is SO different from the demo
the current demo doesnt really feel anything like the current build. the current game feels a bit more weighty, speedy and alot more fluid and responsive. it definitely holds no relation to the demo... the landing detection took a few matches to get used to, but once you get aquainted, it literally felt way too good.

in fact, im probably not going to boot up the demo again, just because its drastically different. maybe will for fun and kicks, but theres no incentive to try and step it up in the demo. i suck balls at math, but here.

Current build > demo build.

I will tell you what I tell my fellow Quebecer comrades who are too stupid to act in the face of adversity: If you don't act, you can't complain. You guys are in a democracy, use your right for free speech and let your annoyance be known. Use good argumens. and pressure the power in place. I'm not from the USA, but I at least support the cause to stop this idiocy.

You are stronger than you think and in numbers, you are the true might of your nation.
americans are to obsessed over just letting things blow over, or staying quiet. You seen that video of that dude who got tazed like 100 times because he was naked at a fair? americans are scared to fight for what is right. like you said, we ARE stronger in numbers :)

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
monk, toaster, and strongbad (alphabetical order). wish i could have bee'essed with you guys a bit more. that room was really starting to give my nose a brainshock. >_<
S is before T :D

Q-R-S-T

Unless it was standardtoaster and nvm you're right. <_<
Technicality.

i suck balls at math, but here.

Current build > demo build.
Funny :D

Anyway, does landing detection change the time when your character techs? Like, do you land on the ground 2 or so frames later or something ?_?

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
S is before T :D
Anyway, does landing detection change the time when your character techs? Like, do you land on the ground 2 or so frames later or something ?_?
yeah dude i thought standardtoaster, but i put toaster. god damn my kindergarten education.

but yeah, naturally dude, i didnt seem to notice teching was any different. i dont know if subliminally i just adjusted, or what.... put it this way, i dont think i was teching any better or worse then i would usually.

SHOTTYGURU

Smash Apprentice
So couldn't make it to brainshock to play try the dev version of PM like honestly I'm deleting the demo as we speak because of how much work has Been done.... just letting you guys know i'll be gone for a while so I won't be able to keep up with this thread so hopefully the patch is ready when I'm back in a month later ppl...

:phone:

Ecks

Smash Lord
How are Fox and Falco "not space animaly"?
That makes absolutely zero sense no matter how you look at it. How could spacies not be spacies? DOES NOT COMPUTE *explosion*

Edit: Unless spacie is Melee for "****/top tier/broken"

Spoon~

Smash Ace
Man Brainshock was the ****. Toaster, Monk and Strongbad it was cool to meet and play with you guys. That current build feels way too good. All i can say is, that patch will soooo be worth the wait so stfu about asking every day people. Even if i was trying to be critical i cant think of a thing i didnt like about that build or the characters hah.

SB next time i see ya we'll get that DK match in and ill try to give you somewhat more of a match lol.

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
That makes absolutely zero sense no matter how you look at it. How could spacies not be spacies? DOES NOT COMPUTE *explosion*

Edit: Unless spacie is Melee for "****/top tier/broken"
I did not mean for that to come off as Fox or Falco are not space animals at all just that Lucario looks like he will be that much more of a space animal making Fox and Falco not look very space animaly.

I am 100% aware that Fox and Falco are the most space animaly characters atm.

How are Fox and Falco "not space animaly"?
As I stated above that was a misunderstanding.

Lucario's on-hit cancel system was pretty much made with traditional fighting games in mind so that we can have a character that fits the style of those who prefer traditional 2D fighters. It adds a new style to the game. However, it was balanced for a Melee environment and DI, knockback growth and other factors matter. Lucario works exactly the same as another Melee character but can combp using jabs, tilts ad smashes. The only difference is that his kill moves when used alone are inefficient. In that sense, that wasn't JCaesar's best match, because I believe the tourney held by Chibo started unreasonably late and he just wanted to go home, XD. But in general, if you want to kill, you can use a fast attack like a jab, perhaps a tilt that position your foe and rack up more damage, and a finisher, a smash. That would be a good moderate string.

He's just a Melee character that depends on ground comboes more. instead of air combat and short-hop-fast-falling strikes. Sure, it's useful for him, but less so that say, a spacie. All universal mechanics, he can use as well. I find it strange in the first place to call foul play about on-hit cancel in a game that is known for its diversity which has 35 characters that play completely differently.

What I don't get is you calling spacies not spacie-like. aren't Fox and Falco by definition, what we referred to as spacies? Because in my version, with landing detection fixed on them, they feel exactly like the Melee definition of a spacie.
Well again after I saw the video of the new Lucario my mind was changed I was unaware there was other videos out there as the one I saw was a demo/teaser so I think it wasn't to bad of me to make an assumption off of the one video I saw at the time.

and as the to the space animal comment I have addressed that above.

i didn't mean to come off as defensive....but you did come in here talking about Lucario not looking like a Melee character and you leaning towards not liking him, when u hadn't even seen him in a single match.

/after watching match = mind changed :cool:
Again like I have said before I was unaware of the game play video being available due to the fact they said he was still under going tweaks and I assumed it was a demo/teaser of him. Which in all fairness did portray him in a more 2d style of game play and not what he actually looks like in real combat. I only came on here to have a nice discussion about it and we did you guys helped me see it from a better light which is great, because to be honest I would much rather be happy about a character then disappointed :)

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
yeah dude i thought standardtoaster, but i put toaster. god damn my kindergarten education.

but yeah, naturally dude, i didnt seem to notice teching was any different. i dont know if subliminally i just adjusted, or what.... put it this way, i dont think i was teching any better or worse then i would usually.
Well since the teching window is pretty big you wouldn't notice. I mean like, are they vulnerable for a slightly longer period of time before the tech actually happens?

Blarg I'm Dead

Smash Apprentice
Falco and Fox may be the best right now but they do have some matchups that are worse than anything they had in Melee.
Explain? I have some ideas but I'm not 100% sure...and I'm not sure all those characters are in the demo.

& you guys are dumb sometimes. balance is having a game where the worst matchups are ~65-35 and can realistically be overcome through player skill, not EVERYONE IS THE SAME VIABILITY
This. I don't realistically expect every character to be great and equally as good. I expect there to be top/mid/low tiers...and low tiers are still good and can beat top through playing well, but it won't be often...and top are still slightly better chars through metagame development and array of options not because low tiers are just statistically worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom