• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

D

Deleted member

Just opened my smashboards account for the first time in a bit over 2 years I think, people still post in here??????????

I miss smashboards

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
L cancel works kind of fine in PM because it's already more leniant than Melee iirc. In Melee, if you press for an L-cancel and right after experience hit lag from hitting a person or their shield, it eats into your L-cancel window and on big moves you often would have to redo the L-cancel (Ganon stomp is an easy example). In PM, if you go for L-cancel and end up hitting something, your L-cancel window is "frozen" until your character is back in motion. So essentially you only have to learn one timing and just go for it without much worry.

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
L-cancelling is fine but I'd prefer having it be free.

If it is in the game and it's automatic I don't care (aka base low landing lag)

If it is in the game and it isn't automatic I don't care

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I hear you guys.
Personally, I still find myself messing up the timing, nearly two years into playing, and I find that frustrating.

On the one hand, I understand that aerial lag can help balance stronger, harder hitting aerials relative to weaker ones by making them much longer to recover from. Okay, but take that reason away and the reality as I see it is that it just becomes a barrier for ALL characters to combo extension. Imagine, instead of getting that second fair to carry the opponent across the stage, you only get the one, because the lag prevented you from jumping again in time to catch the opponent still in hitstun from the first fair. That accomplishes nothing worthwhile. You will feel robbed of the opportunity to extend the combo to 1) create something awesome, 2) do more damage, 3) potentially get a KO. From this, you can see how it would slow the game down, too. If you were fully capable of pulling of such combos without this barrier being here, I'd imagine that you would be a little miffed that it existed.
Perhaps instead then the lag serves the purpose of preventing traditional fighting game style "let me play too" combos you can't get out of (setting aside the presence of DI for the moment). But the presence of L-cancelling undermines that, because you have to be fairly proficient at the game in order to activate it consistently---and being proficient at the game would also mean being able to string together more devastating combos anyway. Thus less experienced players are lorn on an even more unlevel playing field.
If we say L-cancelling rewards players who invest a lot of time into mastering the game, then you can look at it as a really hollow achievement that wasn't necessary at all. Hooray---you've earned the privilege to play the game normally, without a handicap. Congratulation.

Ultimately (really---no pun intended), I favor removing the need for L-cancelling and not just the straight up removal of it---I mean, who wouldn't take that position? I can't say what's a reasonable balance between lagless and just enough lag, but having experienced Smash gameplay where I didn't need to focus on hitting an additional button (in a really short and not always obvious time window) anytime I wanted to attack, I feel now the necessity of it in default Project M impinge upon my fun.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
L-canceling is dumb and every argument that can be used to justify it (that's not traditionalism) could also be used to justify all kinds of things people would *never* want in smash.

That said, I'm pretty sick of discussing it. It's not going anywhere in PM anyway.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Who would you say are the beginner friendly characters in this game, and who are best left to experts/veterans/adepts (besides the Star Fox characters)?

I was just reading something that claims Kirby is a beginner friendly character in the games, but thinking over it I doubt it highly.
I suppose some criteria would be, no counterintuitive movesets nor move properties, nice handling in terms of weight and movement, and nearly impossible to get oneself killed off-stage if one knows the basics of the game---in other words, solid recovery with no gimmicks, especially one that doesn't cause self-destructing.

Maybe it just boils down to whoever are the simplest characters.

Last edited:

_Chrome

Smash Ace
JIggs and Falco are underrated in PM imo. How y'all peeps doing?
Edit: Changed my mind, they're kinda bad. Not *that* bad though.

Also, Nohbl Nohbl : Some of the easier characters in the game would have to be the ones that have a great comeback ability, active frames, and good punish. I'd say Wario, DK, GnW, Charizard are particularly easy. They don't require much tech skill and they all have the attributes I listed. Plus, all of them are heavy, except for GnW, who just has tons of dumb attributes like confusing active frames and animations.

Mario, Sheik, and Jigglypuff, Ike, ICs, and Ganon are also pretty easy, but not as easy as the other characters I listed for various reasons. Either they have worse survivability, are low tiers, have lower range, or ICs jank attached to them.

Last edited:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Changed my mind, they're kinda bad.
What makes you say that?

Some of the easier characters in the game would have to be the ones that have a great comeback ability, active frames, and good punish.
That's good criteria.

I'd say Wario, DK, GnW, Charizard are particularly easy.
They don't require much tech skill and they all have the attributes I listed.
I'm not really convinced. Wario doesn't seem that easy, despite Waft---and even Waft doesn't seem like it's very free to me. Easier to land than Rest, but still tricky. Besides, he's got stubby limbs, highly susceptible to zoning...
Donkey Kong I think has a very newb friendly recovery. There's just one option, it goes far, and it's hard to intercept. He does take fewer hits to KO opponents, and is hard to KO himself, so in those senses at least I guess he'd be closer to "easy" than others. But everyone seems to have some sort of learning curve in this game.
I guess I can see Mr. Game & Watch being easier than most.
Sheik, Ganondorf, Ike, maybe in a tier below that.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
I say Wario is easy because he has a plethora of kill moves, and you can count on his hits linking into each other really easily, and doing at least 10% when unstale. This is significant because:

1) he usually kills around 110% (without waft). Hit them 8-10 times, and then kill move them.
2) He has great combo starters: His grab range is large - almost as large as Snake's grab range. He has a wonderful dacus, jab->grab, bite, dtilt pokes, etc. Or you can just bair/fair wall or hit a nair and if they aren't CCing, you can get a grab.
3) Speaking of his grab: it links into usually at least 2 up airs. He can carry people out of CC percent instantly with his upthrow, and potentially start a juggle that can do upwards of 60%.

DK is similar in a lot of respects, but he's more grounded and traditional of a fighter. Super simple. He has more run speed and doesn't rely on weaving and whatnot. DK also has a really big grab range, and the infamous cargo throws. Punch is also *busted*.

Given that you play Jigglypuff, I'd say Wario and DK would be solid choices.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Falco is good yall dumb

I didn't actually read your posts so idk if this is a valid response or not to what's being said

but the bird ain't ****in bad

Last edited:

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
i feel like im definitely biased because my main gets **** on by falco but i also play him and i think hes really good

i mean, he isnt fox / wolf good unfortunately, but hes good

Bleck

Smash Master
l-canceling is bad and has been bad for over twenty years and it's baffling that there are still morons on the internet arguing otherwise

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
In summary, we are ceasing development of l-canceling (effective immediately)

Zoa

Smash Ace
So I'm jumping back on the PM bandwagon after about a good three years. Finally found a local scene of fellow nerds, and turns out everyone is into Smash. There's even some PM players. There's even a TO on Sundays. Since the hangout will be moving to a bigger location in February, I was thinking of growing the local scene and learning under the local TO. Any ideas how to expand the local scene though?

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Spreading some flyers that say there's a Smash scene wherever large groups of people hang out in that area might help.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
So I'm jumping back on the PM bandwagon after about a good three years. Finally found a local scene of fellow nerds, and turns out everyone is into Smash. There's even some PM players. There's even a TO on Sundays. Since the hangout will be moving to a bigger location in February, I was thinking of growing the local scene and learning under the local TO. Any ideas how to expand the local scene though?
Post notices on local facebook groups and local community subreddits and other social media letting people know what, when, and where stuff will be taking place with details on price/etc. Flyers help too especially if you can find nerd hangouts or student hangouts to post them in. Keep in mind the demographic of smashers which is mostly young males, that way your flyer posting is more efficient. Think card shops, game shops, student unions, etc. Message players you know individually and ask them to attend.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Post notices on local facebook groups and local community subreddits and other social media letting people know what, when, and where stuff will be taking place with details on price/etc. Flyers help too especially if you can find nerd hangouts or student hangouts to post them in. Keep in mind the demographic of smashers which is mostly young males, that way your flyer posting is more efficient. Think card shops, game shops, student unions, etc. Message players you know individually and ask them to attend.
Thanks dude. I'll begin working on it when I have some time. I don't use social media, but I can direct that area to someone else who has quite a bit of experience in that field. The location where we hang out is a card shop, so it should be perfect for drawing a larger audience.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Well, I have another question this time around, but which of my fundamentals should I practice first? It’s been so long. The only character who I can play consistently is Link, but that’s because he was my primary character for the last 20 years. I actually main Lucario, but I can’t play him anymore. >>;

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Well, I have another question this time around, but which of my fundamentals should I practice first?
I actually main Lucario, but I can’t play him anymore.
You have to practice running around.
Lucario has at best a meh neutral game in my opinion; really relies on his speed to get around whatever options the opponents have.

Lucario's whole shtick as far as I can see is exploiting above average movement (besides the combo potential that comes from cancels).

Zoa

Smash Ace
Alright. Looks like DD practice and a lot of using Double Team off cancels. Though I can't help but notice that IPK isn't using Aura Sphere in neutral to condition Falcon into doing what he wants, or just to control the stage. That and it looks like he wasn't using dtilt or usmash to possibly break CC.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Zoa Zoa He uses dtilt quite a lot. It is true that he doesn't throw out Aura Spheres but he uses it in neutral still.

Poilu, the best Lucario in Europe, uses Aura Sphere quite often. You can see a comparison between the two's styles here:

You can find a decent number of Poilu sets to learn from from his visit to GreatValueSmash last year.
But from watching these, it seems like anything but grounded Aura Sphere misses a lot---like, just goes over opponents' heads. So you have to be still sometimes, and IPK doesn't seem like he's into that.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Hm. Might've missed the amount of dtilt he uses in the first video then. I was much more focused on his lack of Aura Sphere use, and how he was moving. I'll look into the Poilu sets. Thanks. You've been a fantastic help.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Didn't the guys making it raise a ship load of money, like thousands of dollars? If they don't make the documentary then that's kinda like fraud.
There was a lot of work done on it, and I'm pretty sure the first 30 minutes was released for their patreon supporters. Beyond that idk really, but even if it has fallen through there's definitely never been any ill intent behind it.

Top Bottom