• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Bleck

Smash Master
are we ever gonna talk about how the GameCube controller despite its obsequious popularity is the worst possible controller, physically speaking, to wavedash with

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
are we ever gonna talk about how the GameCube controller despite its obsequious popularity is the worst possible controller, physically speaking, to wavedash with
I'm assuming you're talking about the triggers, which are definitely softer than xbox controllers and easier on the fingers than ps(3) controllers. Also have you ever wavedashed with a wii-mote? lol

I'm starting to think you pick opinions randomly out of a hat when you feel like starting ****

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
biggest issue with default gcc setup that can be ameliorated by other handheld controllers is the trigger

just remove the spring or make it a digital button press

otherwise if you use either trigger you're putting a lot of stress on your hand and finger tendons by attempting to clasp the controller while squeezing using a specific finger while the thumb is curving perpendicular to that squeezing motion. using l to wavedash is worse in this way than r but both aren't ideal

absolutely terrible tbh

some sort of "piano" setup (ie arcade style four-finger button layout) is still ideal, but with an analog joystick either hand or thumb scale depending on whatever one prefers

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
The issue of ****ty triggers for wavedashing is solved by removing one of your springs yeah

GCC has other issues that make it pretty mediocre as far as pads go though. Dpad is terrible (try navigating the menus with it and not accidentally hitting a diagonal). Satellite-style face button layout is a good concept executed poorly (B button needs to be close to Y like Y is to X with the same shape), trigger fingers rest awkwardly in the ridges of the trigger hollows depending on your grip, rest of the gripping fingers rest strangely against the back of the cstick/dpad prong-things, why is the Z button so ****ing tiny and why is there no left Z button, few other things I probably forgot.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
oh yeah the whole "not having two z buttons" thing is really stupid

also having the b button be another kidney satellite rather than a weird round thing kinda shoved in there makes no sense.
The ridges on the triggers are also too high for the actual pressing surface of the trigger, and because of the geometry of the grip, the index finger is often forced to do double duty

also the length of the controller and how far the z button on the top is from the x/y buttons makes clawing harder than it needs to be (clawing is much easier on an xbox controller, for instance)

also a gcc with a pro controller dpad would be great because the pro controller has basically the best dpad in existence

Bleck

Smash Master
I actually don't know what I did.
oh okay then nevermind

I'm assuming you're talking about the triggers, which are definitely softer than xbox controllers and easier on the fingers than ps(3) controllers. Also have you ever wavedashed with a wii-mote? lol
any controller that has actual shoulder buttons is better (actually, the switch pro controller would be great for that), it's true that it can largely be ameliorated by removing the springs from the controllers

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
wow, two uses of a word like "ameliorate" in the span of six posts, in totally unrelated conversations

magical

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Why tf is ameliorate an acceptable english word
It makes no sense in the context of english go home english you're drunk

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I know very well what it means - my issue is that is latin roots are completely lost in english. The prefix a- means the complete opposite in english as it does in latin languages. Latin words in english are just weird imo (except those I've gotten used to because that's just how I roll and consistency is not my forte)

Player -0

Smash Hero
I feel like I've talked about some of japanese Skullgirls voices sounding tinny earlier but something something you can still tell inflection from Japanese words. Maybe not emphasis but inflection yeah.

yeah.

voice acting/dub vs. sub

also finished nichijou, it's been a while.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
I know very well what it means - my issue is that is latin roots are completely lost in english. The prefix a- means the complete opposite in english as it does in latin languages. Latin words in english are just weird imo (except those I've gotten used to because that's just how I roll and consistency is not my forte)
languages are cobbled-together bits of disparate cultures that can never be expected to be totally internally consistent

chomsky's rules of universal grammar aren't even real

~linguistics is descriptive not prescriptive~

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
MechWarriorNY MechWarriorNY + bloated kyoani budget makes it A+

languages are cobbled-together bits of disparate cultures that can never be expected to be totally internally consistent

chomsky's rules of universal grammar aren't even real

~linguistics is descriptive not prescriptive~
French is pure and immaculate
English is an illegitimate child (why is the B word censored?)
Mandarin is the voice with which we'll speak to aliens

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
MechWarriorNY MechWarriorNY + bloated kyoani budget makes it A+

French is pure and immaculate
English is an illegitimate child (why is the B word censored?)
Mandarin is the voice with which we'll speak to aliens
that's because french has the 100 immortals or whatever which gatekeep any of the common attempts to change french
gutter french is much more evolved and cobbled-together

also you're from quebec they don't even speak french there :^)

mandarin also has like 50 different subdialects

but yeah I do agree that ideograms are the pure form of communication

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Quebec french is the purest french smh

Also Idk much about mandarin dialects and cantonese and whatnot I've never properly learned the language

Bleck

Smash Master
descriptivism is meaningless without prescriptivism and vice versa; the imagined enmity between the two was invented by kids who were too dumb to learn the right there/their/they're and kids who were too autistic to understand what "cool" meant

Quebec french is the purest french smh
it's true

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
that look like something more than standard poutine. you can see the cheese and the gravy and then it looks like refried beans.

which actually sounds ****ing delicious...

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
dayum
As a canadian who only eats raw stuff and is basically vegan I must not eat anything.
Sometimes potatoes are an exception so at least something in that image is what I'd consider edible.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Poutine is basically a delicacy

I respect your choices of not eating it or your not liking it but I will not stand for ****talking poutine

Top Bottom