• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'd probably normalize everyone at 4 frames. That's a good sweetspot imo.

zen-bz-

I'm having a main identity crisis.
NNID
Valkauv
>be me
>have hw to do
>finish one assignment, forget about the other, plays cs
>wake up next morning
>remembers assignment
>OHNO
>has homework pass
>"phew, I'm safe"
>get to school
>teacher asks for assignment
>reaches into pocket
>HW pass isn't there
>realize it fell out of my pocket

School hates me.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
from context, it sounds like a get out of jail free card for a homework assignment.

If the character is better in the air or has access to more in the air, jumpsquat should be longer.
so you're advocating for jiggs and peach to also have 8 frame jumpsquats?

D

Deleted member

in america, we get a "do your ****ing homework" pass called detention.

i heard schools now email your parents if you dont do something. control freaks

Lizalfos

Smash Master
School isn't a place for smart people.

It is a place for huge tryhards. Which is fine. but they try hard at school, which is dumb.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Everybody had that stupid teacher where you got your test marked wrong even though you got the right answer, just because you didn't use the method she taught.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
SERIOUSLY.
Taking remedial precal and the teacher can't ****ing handle that I have memorized the unit circle and I have to draw ****ing reference triangles.
Now with vectors, to see if they are perpendicular I have to do the dot product instead of just looking at it and seeing that the vectors are opposite reciprocals.

And why? In the name of understanding. She can't see that I understand. What? Shouldn't it be good that some things just click? No, it isn't. Consistently get the right answer could be a fluke. I have to demonstrate my work (her work).

Um. Happy birthday.

I watched this today by coincidence.
Whaddaya think?
Honestly didn't go far enough. But yeah I agree. School produces unremarkable people. Everyone is the same essentially because of it. It is good for introducing people to concepts, but ultimately any meaningful mastery of anything requires self teaching or otherwise a special curriculum that focuses on topics relevant to the individual's goals.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
I mean the real problem is that there is massive, massive overall value in having education universally publicly accessible. Literacy obviously goes way up, and better education tends to increase quality of life overall and better the society. But universal education means standardization, which means generalization, which means everyone is treated the same even though nobody is the same.

At best, students get some level of individual attention and are taught at their level, but this rarely happens well. More often, instead of there being a floor for a grade/group of students that is the minimum standard, they put in a ceiling, limiting those who could potentially handle greater amounts of learning for the sake of making sure slower learners don't feel bad or are left behind.

My high school, right after I left, started cutting the high level math classes. They cut the math class I took my Junior year, I think, because it was too advanced, or something. I heard something about them cutting or reducing some classes for diversity concerns or something... But really, if there aren't enough minorities taking the honors classes, that's not really the school's fault. It's not actually a race issue. It's more probably a class issue. Honors classes at the school don't really require anything, they're pretty much always opt-in. If one group of students isn't opting in that's not really the school's fault.

I feel like I could go on and on about schooling stuff but really it's a very very difficult problem. It's been largely mishandled in a lot of ways, but it's something that's very complex, and schools are pressured in many directions by many different forces, and it's often a no-win scenario for them. I complain about my high school, but it's actually one of the best schools in my state, and in the top 200 best public high schools in the country. Overall my experience was probably better than a lot of high schoolers'.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I mean the real problem is that there is massive, massive overall value in having education universally publicly accessible. Literacy obviously goes way up, and better education tends to increase quality of life overall and better the society. But universal education means standardization, which means generalization, which means everyone is treated the same even though nobody is the same.

At best, students get some level of individual attention and are taught at their level, but this rarely happens well. More often, instead of there being a floor for a grade/group of students that is the minimum standard, they put in a ceiling, limiting those who could potentially handle greater amounts of learning for the sake of making sure slower learners don't feel bad or are left behind.

My high school, right after I left, started cutting the high level math classes. They cut the math class I took my Junior year, I think, because it was too advanced, or something. I heard something about them cutting or reducing some classes for diversity concerns or something... But really, if there aren't enough minorities taking the honors classes, that's not really the school's fault. It's not actually a race issue. It's more probably a class issue. Honors classes at the school don't really require anything, they're pretty much always opt-in. If one group of students isn't opting in that's not really the school's fault.

I feel like I could go on and on about schooling stuff but really it's a very very difficult problem. It's been largely mishandled in a lot of ways, but it's something that's very complex, and schools are pressured in many directions by many different forces, and it's often a no-win scenario for them. I complain about my high school, but it's actually one of the best schools in my state, and in the top 200 best public high schools in the country. Overall my experience was probably better than a lot of high schoolers'.
Honestly everyone should take honors courses. Kids in college prep are being set up to fail, because there is nobody who cares about school in those classes. It is society's way of telling people early on that they are **** ups.

The problem with school is that it is breath but not depth. So it consumes your time with making you a dabbler instead of a doer. Also, they suck the fun out of everything; school is disconnected with reality. Only high school English can turn culturally important media and literature into trivia. Only high school math classes can disconnect math from the reality that it is used to understand and turn it into a tedious process of repeatedly doing the same problems to demonstrate that you understand an abstract concept.

That is the biggest problem I have with school. It is about assessing and not learning.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Hi guys.

I just noticed my co.nr domain for my site where all the older PM archives are has disappeared, and I'm not sure if the domain is down or if it's gone for good. That being said, I changed the link in my sig to be the base url without any custom domains. I tried getting a .tk but it's a pain to manage and doesn't even seem to navigate my subpages correctly...

Either way, feel free to update your links or let anyone who likes old versions or custom PM builds know that the link in my sig now is the direct one. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
My graphics card can't run Overwatch or something. Am salt. Apparently you need an Intel HD Graphics 440 and my computer only says Intel HD Graphics so idk

Sapphire Dragon Sapphire Dragon Can't you use a shortener like goo.gl or was the point to have it be the direct link?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Seeing people who are good at Overwatch is terrifying. Like go watch a strong Genji player on desert map, it's incredible.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Sapphire Dragon Sapphire Dragon Can't you use a shortener like goo.gl or was the point to have it be the direct link?
Well, I really like domain services because I can use the base domain name sapphiredragon.[domain] to put everywhere I need to put it on sites that have a "Website" option in your profile. It's a lot easier/neater than using the full path and it's more professional than your standard url shortener, which only solves your problem for one page. I have several pages on my site so they would all need url shorteners, and that would get hard to keep track of fast. XD

Feel free to use a url shortener on my PM link though if the length is an issue. I know there's also some people who refuse to click on shortened links for security reasons, so there's that.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
A Finals Poem by Grey:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Anime is dumb,
And so are waifus, yo.

By the way @trash? Did you see the main event of Lucha Underground this past week? Jesus, I think story/lore wise, it was the best women's match ever.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
Just watched Golden Boy. Hella good. Soundtrack, animation and storywise I can barely think of anything that could've been done better.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I can only see overwatch as a less-balanced, more-random-and-hectic version of tf2

vanilla tf2 best fps
>Less balanced
I haven't played TF2, but I can assure you Overwatch is a very balanced game. Every hero has multiple counters, even the "OP" Bastions and Torbjorns (hint: there's a reason those two don't see a lot of competitive play).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bastion probably one of the worse chars now, just stronk at low ELO or certain maps if you heavily support. Bastion is only char I play (first game triple kill in tank mode sold me), regardless of map, and if it's not defending checkpoints with backup he's trash. I kinda hope they redesign him cause it's almost impossible to balance Sentry mode, he's swung on the stronger and weaker side due to tweaking the skill

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bastion needs hats. Who wouldn't love a Robot with a Rubber Ducky hat?

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
They need to nerf Bastion's sentry mode and buff his recon mode again. And add some depth to his play style because in a game full of characters with so many movement options and cool nuances in their play, he sticks out like a sore thumb.
I can only see overwatch as a less-balanced, more-random-and-hectic version of tf2

vanilla tf2 best fps
At least there's no random crits.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'd probably just leave sentry mode alone and change other stuff first. Sentry mode about the 1 decent thing he has going on, would hate to see him get even worse if they nerf it and then recon / other buffs suck. Sentry mode probably needs an overhaul entirely but not sure they will do it

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I doubt Bastion will be getting any nerfs soon
Blizzard, or at least Jeff Kaplan, already knew they'd be trouble for new players. I suppose if they're prediction doesn't go as planned they'll do something, but it seems they already have the data and feel it's okay.

Top Bottom