• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
like I wonder if someone could convince mike z to mod sf4 into a pm 3s

it's pretty to think so

also 3s e honda Kreygasm
I don't think a modded version of Street Fighter would be respected by the community like Project M was. A big part of fighting game culture is the arcade and you're not really going to see modded arcade cabinets anytime soon.

Bleck

Smash Master
honestly, smash is gonna be irrelevant in your lives in five or so years most likely, and I'm pretty sure that 90% of the people in this thread aren't going anywhere with smash but "lol i got 7th at my PM weekly XDDDD ima be the best bowsa playa in da american!"

the future of this video game, project m and melee, are sadly not going to be huge parts of my life in the next five, even three years, so I honestly don't give an asteriskasteriskasteriskasterisk about it
I, thankfully, am capable of having fun in a context that does not necessarily involve proving to other people that I am superior to them, and as such I will probably continue to enjoy Smash and other video games indefinitely

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
also after watching this I
a. want to play third strike
b. want to play oro even tho he seems like garbage lmao

he seems honestly kinda like luigi, relatively poke heavy and then running away otherwise
Oro's actually pretty damn hilarious if you know Tengu Stone setups/resets

I, thankfully, am capable of having fun in a context that does not necessarily involve proving to other people that I am superior to them, and as such I will probably continue to enjoy Smash and other video games indefinitely
Pretty much this for me. I like winning (obviously), but I relish playing with/against people and having fun while doing so.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

whoops

bad personality trait :CCCCCCCCC

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Participating in a hobby for it's own sake is a bad thing?

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
honestly, smash is gonna be irrelevant in your lives in five or so years most likely, and I'm pretty sure that 90% of the people in this thread aren't going anywhere with smash but "lol i got 7th at my PM weekly XDDDD ima be the best bowsa playa in da american!"

the future of this video game, project m and melee, are sadly not going to be huge parts of my life in the next five, even three years, so I honestly don't give an asteriskasteriskasteriskasterisk about it
just gonna say that smash has been a pretty relevant part of my life since melee came out, especially since most of my best friends are a direct result of the game. like bleck said, you don't need to be winning nationals (or anything, for that matter) for the game to matter or be important to your life.

Bleck

Smash Master
try to keep in mind, also, that every single Smash game is designed first and foremost as a single-player experience - 95% of the content in every Smash game has nothing at all to do with multiplayer

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
SmSh wont be part of my life in 5 years because i will have sendes to best squirtle then an broed

Rip plate

Vashimus

Smash Master
I'm in agreement with the other guys. The "play to win" mentality is a bit short sighted. I mean... we're playing to have fun. Unless games hit the point where they are legitimate monetary sources (as of now they are an incredibly inefficient source), we are all at heart trying to enjoy ourselves. Winning is great and all, but that's just a piece of the puzzle. Why are you playing Project M and not Street Fighter? If you only care about winning and status, why did you choose this game?

You're right, many of us will never end up beating top level players or winning big name tournaments. That's okay, because the absolute value of winning in a game like this is pretty low - it's not like I can put it on a resume. If you're really after recognition, at the very least play SF instead of Project M. If you're really worried about how all your peers view your video game abilities, then I promise you there are other life skills and values you could work on that would make you infinitely more happy than grinding out your tech skill with Fox.

Last edited:

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon

Excuse me, I got third! At a scene that wasn't very impressive to begin with but like yeah still
poor alabama

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I've been through two periods where smash was going to 'die', when the scene was wayyyyy smaller than it currently is, and as a result am highly skeptical that it will die anytime soon.

Pretty much agree with everyone else, most people play smash because it's fun, not because they want to win.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
When you send me the money to send the TV back sure. Which is an awful lot of money for a thing no one ever used.
But that's a lot of work fam, and I don't wanna do that. Can you send yourself money for me?

Last edited:

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Sigh, I honestly have a lot of fun playing melee until ntsc sheik and ice climbers remind me what makes me not play this competitively
-pikachu perspective

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Why are you playing Project M and not Street Fighter? If you only care about winning and status, why did you choose this game?
because winning hard at a fun thing is fun. like... that's one of the core basics of any competitive thing. by this standard, nobody should be speedrunning any game other than super mario 64 and OoT

good morning, I had the worst nap of my life and you're all being doofuses

Vashimus

Smash Master
because winning hard at a fun thing is fun. like... that's one of the core basics of any competitive thing. by this standard, nobody should be speedrunning any game other than super mario 64 and OoT
I was saying if winning and recognition was what you really cared about, then why not move on to a series with a higher pedigree and more pot bonuses than Project M ever will? Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't just be content with being just king of the anthill and would want to move on to bigger things.

Point was solving problems, coming up with strategies and adapting on the fly is why we play fighting games, you dummkopf

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
but such an argument still downplays how the "winning" part remains heavily important for that competition to be fun to begin with, as that remains the core of which all competitive concepts are built around

I will throw like, one snowball at you. it'll take me all day to get all the snow currently in vancouver but I'll do it I swear

Professor Gravy

I've got a PhD in delicious
That's the point. If winning and recognition was what you really cared about, then why not move on to a series with a higher pedigree and more pot bonuses than Project M ever will? Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't just be content with being just king of the anthill and would want to move on to bigger things.

Point was solving problems, coming up with strategies and adapting on the fly is why we play fighting games, you dummkopf
Solving problems coming up with strategies and adapting on the fly are still winning. You don't need to beat your opponent to to feel the satisfaction of victory; personal victories are just as much a part of winning as actually beating your opponent.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
oh yea, trash? trash? how is your chest doing? i remember you said you were having coughing pain from your ribs
it lasted a lot longer than I expected, but it's healed up well now

I still have a cough that's lasted forever but this is likely because I never bother to layer up outside since my brain still takes vancouver winter as "well, it's not ontario winter, you can prolly just go out with a tshirt and coat right"

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Solving problems coming up with strategies and adapting on the fly are still winning. You don't need to beat your opponent to to feel the satisfaction of victory; personal victories are just as much a part of winning as actually beating your opponent.
This is a super, SUPER important concept that cannot be overemphasized. Actually winning at things is nice, but doing stuff genuinely worth being a little smug about is a huge deal.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Oro's actually pretty damn hilarious if you know Tengu Stone setups/resets

Pretty much this for me. I like winning (obviously), but I relish playing with/against people and having fun while doing so.

Smooth Criminal
Problem is there are a lot of fun games. So really will you be playing smash?
try to keep in mind, also, that every single Smash game is designed first and foremost as a single-player experience - 95% of the content in every Smash game has nothing at all to do with multiplayer
Melee, Smash 3ds, and probably Smash 4 have awful single player experiences.

Multiplayer is the draw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom