• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I jumped straight from highschool competitive rowing to the smash scene, with very little overlap. I find it way different, not sure if the level of competetiveness in smash is better or not.
In sports you don't have weekly meet ups and a **** load of events to mark your improvement. At least in rowing, you practice for a few months, with fitness tests to track your physical progress/mock races at practice, but you only compete every few months. And only really one race matters in qualification for nationals. Everything built up to Regionals. It was a hype focused, very singular goal driven kind of competitiveness. Your competition was unobservable other than occasional reported times at the build up races. You kept yourself going with the thought that out there, some faceless kid is practicing right now, and is faster than you.

Its very different then the weekly meet up, personal/friendly competitiveness I find in smash. Everyone is my friend so its so much harder to get into the mindset of "I don't care who is sitting in the char (lane for rowing) next to me, I'm going to ****ing destroy them. They might be my friends, but as soon as I plug in, they are just an obstacle." I think the competetiveness I find in smash is worse for improvement in the medium, better for being part of a group. Less time between each outlet of competition has positives and negatives. More practice to shake out nerfs, less drastic progress made between events.

I don't know which one I'd prefer. Competition has had definitely both positive and negative influence to me. Gives me drive to improve but also pokes at inner demons I've yet to conquer.
I feel like I've become a better person, but then I get upset when I pour a lot into the community and things don't turn out the way I imagined. Then we have these weird talks about improving the scene and people's feelings get hurt and its really bad.

I've also had trouble with people getting really salty at tournaments. I've never had that in FGs surprisingly but maybe I'm either just lucky with what games I play, or I really am that bad at Smash to warrant it.

I care a lot about the state of my friends, but I've never really felt that super camaraderie like I have in the FGC. I've spent a lot more time in the FGC but have had a lot more "success" in smash. So they're like two completely different sides to me.

On conquering your demons though...I think I can relate. Competition teaches you a lot about yourself I think. Especially things with high player to player interaction. You learn what you're ignorant about, what you're weaknesses are, what kind of people matter to you. Self-awareness and improvement really just complement each other in any practice.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Merry Christmas, PMS!
before it even began, some guy named shapular messaged me on steam with something like "hey aren't you that faggy guy who works on project ****"

don't remember the exact phrase but it was worse than that iirc.

not a good day so far
you can take solace in the fact that he's a game & watch main, a ****ty one at that

Deotay

Smash Cadet
I don't understand how you win the Handlock, Control Warrior or really any slow/weapon matchup without 1x sabotage, 1x assassin's blade, and 1x southsea deckhand
I'm also only running 1x violet so I can run a second belcher. I don't have Van Cleef, but it seems seems like a weak card to me, gets BGH or silenced, why not run a tech card instead. I really need to drop my auto barber for the Piloted Shredder.
I desperately need to craft Dr. Boom.

But the real problem here is that I go 3-3 all my arenas.

I keep forgetting to cut the quotes out and edit them into my previous post :L
It's a good thing there's not a lot of Control Warrior or Handlock on ladder right now then. However yes it's highly recommended to put in an Assassin's Blade if you're running into them.

As far as Van Cleef is concerned, Reynad mentioned a second Farseer would probably be fine. The point of Van Cleef is that he's supposed to force out opponent resources (i.e. he doesn't do work he just looks imposing enough to spend cards on).

I really recommend trying to find space for the second Violet Teacher because she's really vital in applying pressure throughout the game.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays PMS!

Old Drunk Grey will probably stop by tomorrow and rewish you all great cheers.

Edit: Treenation

Santa's already granted one of my two wishes (Cena's returning next week).

...I still waiting on my saucy Irish/Scottish redhead Santa.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
It's a good thing there's not a lot of Control Warrior or Handlock on ladder right now then. However yes it's highly recommended to put in an Assassin's Blade if you're running into them.

As far as Van Cleef is concerned, Reynad mentioned a second Farseer would probably be fine. The point of Van Cleef is that he's supposed to force out opponent resources (i.e. he doesn't do work he just looks imposing enough to spend cards on).

I really recommend trying to find space for the second Violet Teacher because she's really vital in applying pressure throughout the game.
Yeah, 1 teach is so good I'll just spend the dust for the second.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
yall didnt see this on stream but i forgot the ****ing wiimote, and we were so ****ing lazy that instead of going to my house, we spent an hour trying to get Priiloader to launch HBC (it wouldnt)

So through some crazy ass magic we got it to Launch the HBC/Bootmii installer through a USB drive, then reinstalled HBC and Bootmii, and then finally go it to launch into homebrew through Bootmii LMAO

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Tfw you wake up on christmas and your house is suddenly silent hill

It was nice knowing you guys

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Merry Christmas everyone!

Now to spend it the exact way I do every other free day.

Doing absolutely nothing.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Merry Christmas, again
Have Christmas present

warning swears and stuff thanks jwong

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I can't wait until FAST Racing Neo gets a board like F-Zero central with speedrunners and glitches galore. I hear people have already got the first cup down to a ridiculous 1 minute.
Pls no patcherino if the glitches take any skill / risk like in F-Zero

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Merry Christmas nerds I got super wasted last night and now coming over a hang over. Wish I had some egg nog right now but anyway time to watch some DBZA.

Top Bottom