• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Well, what do you think is harder? Junior Jumble or Crosswords? Junior Jumble IS for baby bones.

(Sorry, the opportunity presented itself.)

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Someone leaked what was supposed to be 3.61 if you guys are interested. No clones, just the costume/ some bug fix stuff I believe
That's good. It might have not even really been a planned official release, somebody probably just shook the skeletons out of the Wiiztec leak, but still, better than 3.6 and better than divisive versions. I think this will be the standard accepted build.
All these lurkers...
It was way worse last night and into the morning. I think I scared everyone away with dredging up Gamergate. Or regression to the mean.

But the former makes me an active force that may even deserve praise and respect. So like leaders before me, I shall use regression to the mean to reassure you that the things I do work.
Geez dude why you gotta be so savage?
I think it is @Jaedrick's presence combined with my sassy avatar.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
That's good. It might have not even really been a planned official release, somebody probably just shook the skeletons out of the Wiiztec leak, but still, better than 3.6 and better than divisive versions. I think this will be the standard accepted build.
The build also has Link's grab fixed, maybe other bug fixes, so I don't think it's just a port of the leaked costumes from wiiztec's.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Last edited:

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Accurately sums up how I feel about everything right now.

Almost wish I never joined PM lmfaooooooooooooo
You don't mean that...do you?

They probably should've checked for general consensus and see if this was even needed before jumping the gun, imo.

SunJester

Smash Ace
You know, I didn't sleep last night, too much on my mind/

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but I don't think anyone can convince me this isn't the death of the tournament scene.

The PMDT shut down over fear of legal action.

Are you going to put thousands on the line when Nintendo has put their foot down?

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
SunJester SunJester That's not how it works. A single cent doesn't need to be spent to keep doing casu(a)l sessions/locals, and we don't live in friggin' 1984. Corporations have absurd reach, but even they don't have THAT much as things are.

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I was pretty discouraged at first to be honest, but I'm going to stay strong despite the recent developments with pm. So I'll be streaming some of this shiz online. If you wanna watch me get drunk, be bad at netplay, and hear my thoughts on recent happenings, come stop by here http://www.hitbox.tv/SirMrDrPickle

SunJester

Smash Ace
how are these two directly related

does not compute
Clearly someone doesn't want this mod to exist. Clearly whoever doesn't want this mod to exist is willing to pursue legal action.

Knowing this would you be willing to host a tournament that featured PM, when there's a powerful multi-national corporation who doesn't want that game to exist? And is willing to use legal measures to do so?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
You don't mean that...do you?

They probably should've checked for general consensus and see if this was even needed before jumping the gun, imo.
You, AND MANY OTHER PEOPLE

cant FATHOM

the TURBULANCE

the TURMOIL

THE ****ING IRE

That is BOILING in me.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I can only ****post to quell the ravaging torrent of negative emotions that are swirling and boiling and bubbling inside me

niggas SERIOUSLY dont understand

and a lot of people will CONTINUE not to understand

and people will continue to come at me SIDEWAYS

acting some type of way

and i just want to stand up and ****ing lay all these niggas out.

like for real for real

**** isnt funny

it isnt cool

regret is apparent

very much so

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
nintendo is gonna have to suck these nuts to get at it

are you telling me I should be afraid of a company that can't even turn a profit or make a good metroid game? nah fam
You've got spunk bro. I like it.

But, its scary when there's a lot of money on the line. Corporate lawyers are scary. Being sued by them is probably extremely expensive.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Clearly someone doesn't want this mod to exist. Clearly whoever doesn't want this mod to exist is willing to pursue legal action.

Knowing this would you be willing to host a tournament that featured PM, when there's a powerful multi-national corporation who doesn't want that game to exist? And is willing to use legal measures to do so?
Sorry for jumping in suddenly, but playing the game isn't illegal.

P:M won't be in sponsored tournaments, that's it. So, yes, while it may not be allowed to become as big as it did, if people are willing to contibue playing it at grassroot level, it will survive.

:231:

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
There's been some interesting discussion about Gamer Gate here (I don`t know why it's been going on, but whatever), and I'd like to add my two cents.

Gamers rallied against Anita Sarkeesian, Feminist Frequency, and similar campaigns that objected to how woman are portrayed in video games for a key, obvious reason that few want to acknowledge mostly because it's awkward. First, let's fess up that people who identify as gamers are typically "losers". Gaming is a platform and outlet for this subjugated class to congregate and regain some power, feel socially fulfilled, achieve some happiness, and so on. I presume most gamers felt unfairly targeted once these feminist academics stepped forth and decried their community as fundamentally corrupt. The demands issued by feminists to the gaming community must have felt oppressive, in a highly ironic twist of fate. I image gamers' internal rhetoric was something like, "I've already drawn the short end, why are you trying to cut me down further?" Excuse the crude and vulgar analogy, but telling gamers they're oppressive is like telling poor people they're a detriment to society for drinking too much.

To rub salt in the wound, critical feminists specifically targeted over-sexualized female characters in gaming. It seems especially cruel to denigrate a group of sexless males for indulging in compensatory, over-sexualized entertainment. The existence of characters like Bayonetta is more sad than offensive.

Anita and her colleagues have merit, even if they tend to be too determined in relation to how serious their cause is. My main criticism against them is their lack of empathy for gamers. Misunderstanding their target makes their efforts inflammatory.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
There's been some interesting discussion about Gamer Gate here (I don`t know why it's been going on, but whatever), and I'd like to add my two cents.

Gamers rallied against Anita Sarkeesian, Feminist Frequency, and similar campaigns that objected to how woman are portrayed in video games for a key, obvious reason that few want to acknowledge mostly because it's awkward. First, let's fess up that people who identify as gamers are typically "losers". Gaming is a platform and outlet for this subjugated class to congregate and regain some power, feel socially fulfilled, achieve some happiness, and so on. I presume most gamers felt unfairly targeted once these feminist academics stepped forth and decried their community as fundamentally corrupt. The demands issued by feminists to the gaming community must have felt oppressive, in a highly ironic twist of fate. I image gamers' internal rhetoric was something like, "I've already drawn the short end, why are you trying to cut me down further?" Excuse the crude and vulgar analogy, but telling gamers they're oppressive is like telling poor people they're a detriment to society for drinking too much.

To rub salt in the wound, critical feminists specifically targeted over-sexualized female characters in gaming. It seems especially cruel to denigrate a group of sexless males for indulging in compensatory, over-sexualized entertainment. The existence of characters like Bayonetta is more sad than offensive.

Anita and her colleagues have merit, even if they tend to be too determined in relation to how serious their cause is. My main criticism against them is their lack of empathy for gamers. Misunderstanding their target makes their efforts inflammatory.
I see what you're saying but GamerGate is trash

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
Sorry for jumping in suddenly, but playing the game isn't illegal.

P:M won't be in sponsored tournaments, that's it. So, yes, while it may not be allowed to become as big as it did, if people are willing to contibue playing it at grassroot level, it will survive.
I don't know anything about legal issues, but I can tell when a company doesn't like something.

I mean really whats to stop them from shutting down Low Tier City 4, or Smash and Splash 2? Isn't the fact that people are making money from those tournaments enough for them to shut it down?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't know anything about legal issues, but I can tell when a company doesn't like something.

I mean really whats to stop them from shutting down Low Tier City 4, or Smash and Splash 2? Isn't the fact that people are making money from those tournaments enough for them to shut it down?
If the tournaments are sponsored by outside sources, then maybe. It depends on how willing people are to continue playing it. Smaller tournaments will survive.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again

yeah and the same could technically be said for literally any tournament of any game by any company

Player -0

Smash Hero
Ugh. Still disappoint. You could practically taste a trailer for 4.0 any month.

Even if (which I'm doubting) PMDT pulls out one thing for P:M the backlash from a part of the community and their "New PMDT" (eh. I ain't accepting that). It won't end well.

Just eh. Still hurts.

On another note: Kurri ★ Kurri ★ what's your avatar from?

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
If the tournaments are sponsored by outside sources, then maybe. It depends on how willing people are to continue playing it. Smaller tournaments will survive.

The scene definitely won't fizzle out overnight, at any rate. It also depends on whether anyone wants to take up development where the PMDT left, and by the looks of it, there are people up for the task. Honestly, if it wasn't a C&D as the lawyer says, there is nothing stopping anyone from picking it up where they left.

Ah, so it would seem we are in dire need of a practitioner of the dark arts...nay; a necromancer...in order to pry this development cycle from the oily blackness of hell's abyss...

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Ugh. Still disappoint. You could practically taste a trailer for 4.0 any month.

Even if (which I'm doubting) PMDT pulls out one thing for P:M the backlash from a part of the community and their "New PMDT" (eh. I ain't accepting that). It won't end well.

Just eh. Still hurts.

On another note: Kurri ★ Kurri ★ what's your avatar from?
Maki Nishikino from Love Live
Here's the full image

SunJester

Smash Ace
yeah and the same could technically be said for literally any tournament of any game by any company
Yeah there's a huge difference between an official game and an unauthorized one.

The scene definitely won't fizzle out overnight, at any rate. It also depends on whether anyone wants to take up development where the PMDT left, and by the looks of it, there are people up for the task. Honestly, if it wasn't a C&D as the lawyer says, there is nothing stopping anyone from picking it up where they left.
Even if it wasn't a C+D, its clearly legal. Why would you have a lawyer take all further inquiries if it wasn't a legal issue? Why would they drop every single thing from their website suddenly and without warning, stifling any talk of what really happened if it wasn't a legal issue? Whats to stop this from happening to the new PMDT?

Clearly Nintendo was flexing their muscles and the PMDT pulled the plug before they could do anything. There's literally no reason for them to drop this so suddenly. They cared way too much about the game for that to happen.

We've always said we'll play until the C+D. Well this isn't the C+D because this is clearly worse. I think it was dantarion or someone who was a coder who said they've been C+D'd before and it basically isn't a huge issue, you stop and nothing more comes of it. If this was a simple C+D they would be allowed to say it was and that's that. I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Nintendo was building a legal case against the PMDT, why else would you get a lawyer involved unless Nintendo was coming after your assets?

Unless someone can genuinely convince me otherwise, Nintendo was seeking legal action.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The most plausible narrative:

Legal threats. PMDT or part of them 'in the know' are lying / bound by contract or fear not to tell the truth.
AND OR
PMDT decision makers sought advice from lawyers about upcoming Lyn / Knuckles reveal, further updates, or the project in general.
Doesn't matter which one.
Like most humans, they fear for their livelihoods. In one sense this creates careerists who do messed up stuff for security, on the other hand it keeps people from doing really boneheaded stuff. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be.
In that fear the decision makers, rightly or wrongly, eventually saw the only recourse for their personal security to be disbandment and an end to development.

Last edited:
Top Bottom