• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
We choose to do science and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The only reason I even try to be competitive is out of necessity. "Casual" tends to be shorthand for "you should break your disk and stab yourself with the shards" in this fandom.

I'd rather play in a way that makes me miserable than get laughed/yelled at. I'm just tired. Of everything.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
We choose to do science and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because universities want money.
Ftfy

Cause there's literally no reason for someone to be forced to take an algebra/calculus course to get their art degree other than the college wanting money

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Going through an arts and humanities program in HS doesn't prepare you at all for the difficult mathematics or chemistry you're going to have to do in college/university though. In fact my pure and applied sciences degree in college barely prepared me for my Maths & physics bachelor's, even after taking advances calculus.

Science is hard.
You can still take core classes in an arts and humanities school.

Bleck

Smash Master
life tip; if you live in North America, don't waste time going to school, the value of North American based education is plummeting exponentially despite it's incredible cost and if you're a person who hasn't already finished a degree you're honestly better off without the debt

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
We have been through economic revolutions before, but this one is different. Horses aren't unemployed now because they got lazy as a species, they’re unemployable. There's little work a horse can do that pays for its housing and hay. And many bright, perfectly capable humans will find themselves the new horse: unemployable through no fault of their own.

...And since history shows that horrible things happen when large amounts of people fall upon hard times, all I can really say is

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
life tip; if you live in North America, don't waste time going to school, the value of North American based education is plummeting exponentially despite it's incredible cost and if you're a person who hasn't already finished a degree you're honestly better off without the debt
vote bernie sanders

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
We have been through economic revolutions before, but this one is different. Horses aren't unemployed now because they got lazy as a species, they’re unemployable. There's little work a horse can do that pays for its housing and hay. And many bright, perfectly capable humans will find themselves the new horse: unemployable through no fault of their own.

...And since history shows that horrible things happen when large amounts of people fall upon hard times, all I can really say is
The difference between us and horses, though, is that making us unemployable is a mistake they (and you know what I mean by "they") may be able to realize later.

When the bigwigs are in their eighties, and they see that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IS GETTING ACCOMPLISHED because they screwed over the subsequent generation during their prime, hopefully humanity will go a collective "...oops."

ilikesquids

Smash Cadet

When a majority of the population becomes unemployed as a result of technology, that doesn't mean the world ends. It means the idea of working to sustain one's self becomes out-dated. At that point, it will likely become a time for most people to focus on making their own ****ty art and stuff. Look at the patricians, they had the plebians to do all their work, while they philosophized and revolutionized knowledge in every field. Everyone can be a patrician when working is something only 10% of people have to do- the ones that do work will probably be volunteering, and be awarded benefits for doing so.

Just because you're an emo-kid doesn't mean you're smart. Your pessimism is not only bad for your health, but it also shows you're incapable of assessing things realistically.

Have a nice day <3

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
buddy you just called someone an "emo-kid" while insulting their ability to look at the word realistically

D

Deleted member

I have to work until two AM tonight

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
When a majority of the population becomes unemployed as a result of technology, that doesn't mean the world ends.
Of course not(particular keks were had by me at those zealous Christian doomsayers who had to backpedal hardcore a few days ago), but the riots of the recent past will be utterly tame compared to how unhinged people will get when they're even deeper in poverty than before, and that's saying something considering many hit rock bottom years ago.
At that point, it will likely become a time for most people to focus on making their own ****ty art and stuff.
It's been that time for decades. i.e. Deviantart and Tumblr.
Just because you're an emo-kid doesn't mean you're smart. Your pessimism is not only bad for your health, but it also shows you're incapable of assessing things realistically.
And just because I assume the worst often enough that it implies fairly bad things about my mental state doesn't mean I am ANY less committed to a better tomorrow than people you would view as "idealists". I am not negative for it's own sake in the slightest, I just assume the worst as often as I do so as to be prepared both physically and mentally for when it actually does happen, so that when others freeze in fear/shock/etc., there will be at least one person ready to do what is right/what must be done. When one hesitates in times of adversity, oneself/their family/friends may get hurt, even die, and I won't ever allow that to happen on my watch.

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
So I'm going to my local to play Big Boss alt.Snake in my dad's early-Vietnam infantry gear. I am now something else (at least till I come to my senses).

Lizalfos

Smash Master
The difference between us and horses, though, is that making us unemployable is a mistake they (and you know what I mean by "they") may be able to realize later.

When the bigwigs are in their eighties, and they see that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IS GETTING ACCOMPLISHED because they screwed over the subsequent generation during their prime, hopefully humanity will go a collective "...oops."
Lol you believe in an active conspiracy.
If only it was that simple.

SunJester

Smash Ace
Going to school for a specific thing is worth it. Something like trades, medicine etc are worth it. I think schools important if you have an endgoal in mind and not something like, "I'm getting a bachelors in english and then i'm gonna do something with it!" or something wholly unrealistic like studying law to become the president of the world or something.

TL;DR go to school to get a career, not just to go to school.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I go to school to not get yelled at.

That's literally my entire reason.

I'm a doormat, a shell, too broken and tired to fight back, so I obey just to get people off my back.

SunJester

Smash Ace
Which is fine, you have an endgoal in mind. General courses aren't that useful because they're not applied.

Programming is something that a lot of places will use, and its not an unrealistic goal because there is a market out there for it. Plus its something you'd have to go to school for in order to get a job in it.

Plus PM has gotta look pretty good on a resume, right?

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
I mean, getting a degree in an IT-related field is a pretty safe bet in general. Chances are high you'll have a full-time job lined up before you even graduate if you play your cards right-and unless you're just lazy and don't make any effort, it's really hard to not play your cards decently well with IT. The trick is, when you graduate, try not to get yourself landed in a job that makes you hate programming-easier said than done. As an aside, you don't really need a degree to get a good programming gig, but the alternative demands a lot of drive and the ability to teach yourself.

I went to school because..well, that's just what you did. And that was it initially. I knew I enjoyed CS, so I went for that before actually figuring out what I wanted to do with my degree, and ended up finding both something I enjoyed and something that paid well-and being able to go for my masters without having to sink myself into debt is just icing on the cake. That being said, I got pretty damn lucky, unlike a few of my friends who got degrees they haven't done anything with. It's a consistent worry, and I've been telling a few of my younger cousins to actually think through what they want to do in life before they run off to college. Crippling student debt isn't worth it.

And there's money in trades, as well. I'm not going to be able to fix my house, most of the time, I'll pay someone to do it-and the people with those skills get plenty of money. It's absolutely viable, but for whatever reason high school will not tell you this, and instead ends up beating the "go to college, be wageslave" drum.

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Out of the blue today when I played PM 90% of the time I after wavedashed or l-canceled I would shield. I play spacies and wd in neutral way too much so this stuff doesn't ever happen to me anymore. Should I try to fix my controller or something? Has this happened to any you guys before?

edit: Booted up melee and made sure the buttons weren't depressed while plugging it in. Still happens. And only with the l button too. helpppp

Last edited:

Mystletaynn

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mystletaynn
3DS FC
3909-8402-8213
I've got a fall break, or well, had one...

For two days off...

With a 5-page essay and a project assigned over "break" by my lovely professors.

*sighhhhh*

One done, one to go...

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
damnit I go to smashboards as a break while writing an essay and I see bleck and mech whining about things again and everyone else complaining about school

follow your dreams kids

be smart

study hard

do drugs

state schools suck, ivy league schools suck, but it all depends on your personal needs

stem isn't all it's cracked up to be especially because most stem majors are ***** and suck
(does geology count as stem? idk it probably does)

nerf fox

Last edited:

Mystletaynn

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mystletaynn
3DS FC
3909-8402-8213
Out of the two things I have to do, that was the one I did. For a media class, I had to keep a journal of my media usage over 6 days, the first three as normal, then the last three giving up all personal devices, and write about the differences. To be honest, that essay was quite easier than the theory analysis crap I had from my seminar professor which was due earlier, since it's a much simpler prompt. But still, it's a lot of writing and it's not something I enjoy, I'm a design major, not a novelist. ;-;

Also giving up my phone was too easy because what are IRL friends

ilikesquids

Smash Cadet
buddy you just called someone an "emo-kid" while insulting their ability to look at the word realistically
those have nothing to do with one another, but okay

Of course not(particular keks were had by me at those zealous Christian doomsayers who had to backpedal hardcore a few days ago), but the riots of the recent past will be utterly tame compared to how unhinged people will get when they're even deeper in poverty than before, and that's saying something considering many hit rock bottom years ago.It's been that time for decades. i.e. Deviantart and Tumblr.And just because I assume the worst often enough that it implies fairly bad things about my mental state doesn't mean I am ANY less committed to a better tomorrow than people you would view as "idealists". I am not negative for it's own sake in the slightest, I just assume the worst as often as I do so as to be prepared both physically and mentally for when it actually does happen, so that when others freeze in fear/shock/etc., there will be at least one person ready to do what is right/what must be done. When one hesitates in times of adversity, oneself/their family/friends may get hurt, even die, and I won't ever allow that to happen on my watch.
I think you're negative for it's own sake honestly, and in denial of it. But, okay, be a rock for others when your predicted rapture happens.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
If you're lucky enough to get a discount thanks to privilege/scholarship or something it can still be worth it if you get out without debt, I think. But even then, it probably won't be for too long if things keep up at the current rate. The only reason I'm doing it is because I'm paying a fraction of the typical tuition and I have the incredible good fortune of having an extended family that has devoted lots of finances towards ensuring my generation's higher education.

Also, just had the first two TMG crew battles for my uni today. Our crew against UIC was spaghetti city, and everyone choked super hard. We lost by 4 stocks, but I think if everybody hadn't played like trash we could've made it close. I was the only one who went positive, and I'm the worst of us on the PR.

We also played against Southern Illinois College, but they got absolutely trashed by UIC and us. They only had 4 players, but one of the UIC guys took out their entire crew by himself. This is a guy that I 2-stocked in our crew. We just put in our usual starter and he ran through everybody. We actually told him to go easy on their last guy because one of our other people wanted to play, haha.

Overall, it went well. It was tons of fun, and it was definitely worth going out there. Crews are a pretty cool thing.

Top Bottom