• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Bleck

Smash Master
In other news I just went to check out the stream for that tourney, noticed they were stretching Melee to 16:9 so I was posting some info in the chat when I hear somebody mocking me by sarcastically reading my messages in a high pitched, nerdy voice. Great way to treat someone who's just trying to help you. I'm really hoping your community is better than that cause that was an awful first impression.
Honestly? It's not. There's a reason I didn't stick around for the Melee stuff.

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
Here guys, I'm going to break down becoming a successful and well hired commentator in the DFW area.
1)Use the word meme.
The dog is a meme. Lunchables tapping b is a meme. Hell, even you are a meme! Always make sure to call out the memes when you see them.
2)Act like you know what you are talking about!
What's this? Rob has a gyro? A laser too? Hell, those are resources. Tell the viewers that in situations like this one Rob has to MANAGE HIS RESOURCES. Stretch that heavily. Make it 90% of your commentary for any character with an item.
3)Act like you know players personally to entertain your audience!
"IPK is usually all pedal to the metal", yet another fantastic example of you, the commentator being on the top of things!
4)Repeat jokes!
An Ivysaur? FINALFLASHFINALFLASHFINALFLASHFINALFLASHFINALFLASH
5)Have a cringe catchphrase with your co-commentator! Make it original!
For example, I've taken inspiration from DFW and called me and my co commentator the "Teal Tappers"
That's it! You're on your way to becoming a fan favorite commentator!
youll be the next d1 i swear

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Here guys, I'm going to break down becoming a successful and well hired commentator in the DFW area.
1)Use the word meme.
The dog is a meme. Lunchables tapping b is a meme. Hell, even you are a meme! Always make sure to call out the memes when you see them.
What's this? Rob has a gyro? A laser too? Hell, those are resources. Tell the viewers that in situations like this one Rob has to MANAGE HIS RESOURCES. Stretch that heavily. Make it 90% of your commentary for any character with an item.
"IPK is usually all pedal to the metal", yet another fantastic example of you, the commentator being on the top of things!
4)Repeat jokes!
For example, I've taken inspiration from DFW and called me and my co commentator the "Teal Tappers"
You can't be D1 tier till you talk about stellar combinations and back--aerials

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Edit: smashboards pls, stop double posting me

I was going to join in on the snide comments about the bb but I realized I just dislike commentary in general so I don't know if I'm just biased against them

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
lmao

the funny thing is that m2k is doing 0 developing of characters

like actually I don't even know what he does these days

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

how about we just give the players headsets and hear them frantically breathe and swear

Bazkip

Smash Master
As in give informed critique by calling them out on commentary issues with their upcoming stream so they can show a more competent experience on their next showing.

So yeah. Talking to em. yeah.
Oh
I'd rather put in the effort to helping out someone that's receptive to my advice, not someone that mocks me for it.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
What are the Sm4sh new***s doing here?

If you wanna start some raid, I assure you, it'll end like when Tumblr tried to raid 4chan.

But with more waifu's.
We're not raiding, we're just annoying you all. Which is what we do best!

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
1)Use the word meme.
4)Repeat jokes!
D1 is so much better than they are though.

Like when he doesn't sound lifeless, D1's commentary is pretty good. It's just a matter of oversaturation and hearing his voice everywhere. He sounds a lot better in today's SSS.

Either way, comparing him to BB is pretty insulting to D1, even if you don't like D1

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
D1 is so much better than they are though.

Like when he doesn't sound lifeless, D1's commentary is pretty good. It's just a matter of oversaturation and hearing his voice everywhere. He sounds a lot better in today's SSS.

Either way, comparing him to BB is pretty insulting to D1, even if you don't like D1
i meant his status as a commentator :V

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277

Helsong

Smash Ace
Caught up on LTC3 PM from my hotel room's computer(yeah, it has one), congrats to Junebug(was really cool to see Ganon in that last game), and DrinkingFood did well. As for commentary...I'll play devil's advocate. The Brown Battalion seem enthusiastic, and give them impression that they love their scene.

And uh...that's about all I can do. They're not absolutely terrible, I've heard far far worse. But they need to vary their vocabulary and phrasing on the mic, quit trying to make memetic statements, and honestly just not talk once in a while. If you're talking about literally everything that's happening during a match, then when are you going to do any sort of analysis or insight? JV would. not. stop. and he couldn't even cover 80% of the stuff that was happening anyway. Seriously, even if they did nothing but slow down - not even get more knowledge or chemistry, just try not to always be talking - their commentary would be twice as palpable. I hear their melee commentary was worse?
Honestly, I feel like they do better when commentating with other people than with each other. It's like they're trying to force the chemistry to the point where it just doesn't flow naturally. It sounds manufactured and fake.

Also, oh man Black Hat is cool as hell! I'm doing a 4-day training over Active Defenses. Basically, when you get hacked, tracing the hack and hacking back, offensive countermeasures, etc. Today was the first day.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go change my password just in case. @Warchamp7 just out of curiousity, does smashboards store password/login info in plaintext?

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
lmao

the funny thing is that m2k is doing 0 developing of characters

like actually I don't even know what he does these days
but... doc/mario is still really really good. like, m2k, your salt is astounding.

i'm still awaiting the influx of mountains of lucario salt.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Brown Battalion has always sounded terrible to the day that they first came on to the scene. I just never said anything because they always sounded enthusiastic and somewhat passionate, and I felt bad criticizing new commentators to the scene.

It's been years now and I just had to ****ing yell it out today. Christ.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I don't like them either but JV in particular is terrible. God, did they commentate all my matches? I have to go back and watch that and now I'm probably just gonna cringe up a storm when I do

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
I don't like them either but JV in particular is terrible. God, did they commentate all my matches? I have to go back and watch that and now I'm probably just gonna cringe up a storm when I do
DONT FORGET THAT WHEN PLAYING ROB
RESOURCE MANAGEMENT.
MANAGE YOUR RESOURCES.
MAKE SURE YOU BUILD AND RELEASE YOUR RESOURCES.

zman804

Smash Ace
I also didn't like BB's commentary but I feel kinda weird saying that since I also commentate and stuff. I feel like they need to slow down and just relax. Everything felt so forced, and I don't think they do it intentionally.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
The worst part about them is that they acknowledge, but don't actually listen to any of the criticism they get... I remember one time when people were complaining about their commentary in a thread on reddit, they basically came and said people were exaggerating, but they would still do their best to take note of what people were saying and try to improve their commentary. Looks like they didn't do that.

Also lol @ jv getting salty when oracle and bwett kicked him off. You just see infinity squat in between BB and hear him say "change of plans", as nebtune stares at the camera while his soul slowly shatters.

Last edited:

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
The worst part about them is that they acknowledge, but don't actually listen to any of the criticism they get... I remember one time when people were complaining about their commentary in a thread on reddit, they basically came and said people were exaggerating, but they would still do their best to take note of what people were saying and try to improve their commentary. Looks like they didn't do that.

Also lol @ jv getting salty when oracle and bwett kicked him off.
of the two, nebtune is much more receptive from what i understand and is perfecty capable himself of getting places

not to fire shots at jv but i feel like of their duo, jv's the one holding him back a bit

edit: also, i feel like every time commentary discussion is brought up, i feel the need to say this: i don't really listen to much of it anymore, either due to quality of sound (which is a different problem, i understand) or just overall quality of gameplay analysis. there are certainly people that are good at it and i'm happy they're doing what they do, but it occurred to me during 3.02 that we in the collective smash community (not just individual scenes) just don't have that consistent level of good commentary yet, nor do i expect us to down the road.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I finally realized what nebtune and jv sound like

they're like exactly the smash equivalent of the espn 8 announcers from dodgeball

that's not a good thing
LOOOOOOOOOOOL.
Sorry dude, but they commentated all your matches besides Junebug and Axe.

The Jcaesar combo is still the boost Nair. It's an unavoidable combo every :rob: has been doing since the lord and savior Jcaesar began doing it with :rob: eons ago. Your :rob: would make Jcaesar proud (Maybe proud enough to come to a local again!)!
DONT FORGET THAT WHEN PLAYING ROB
RESOURCE MANAGEMENT.
MANAGE YOUR RESOURCES.
MAKE SURE YOU BUILD AND RELEASE YOUR RESOURCES.
LOOOOOOL.
Caught up on LTC3 PM from my hotel room's computer(yeah, it has one), congrats to Junebug(was really cool to see Ganon in that last game), and DrinkingFood did well. As for commentary...I'll play devil's advocate. The Brown Battalion seem enthusiastic, and give them impression that they love their scene.

And uh...that's about all I can do. They're not absolutely terrible, I've heard far far worse. But they need to vary their vocabulary and phrasing on the mic, quit trying to make memetic statements, and honestly just not talk once in a while. If you're talking about literally everything that's happening during a match, then when are you going to do any sort of analysis or insight? JV would. not. stop. and he couldn't even cover 80% of the stuff that was happening anyway. Seriously, even if they did nothing but slow down - not even get more knowledge or chemistry, just try not to always be talking - their commentary would be twice as palpable. I hear their melee commentary was worse?
Honestly, I feel like they do better when commentating with other people than with each other. It's like they're trying to force the chemistry to the point where it just doesn't flow naturally. It sounds manufactured and fake.

Also, oh man Black Hat is cool as hell! I'm doing a 4-day training over Active Defenses. Basically, when you get hacked, tracing the hack and hacking back, offensive countermeasures, etc. Today was the first day.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go change my password just in case. @Warchamp7 just out of curiousity, does smashboards store password/login info in plaintext?
It just all sounds so forced. They talk way too much (Constant gameplay updates, which I don't need to hear someone saying if I'm watching). I agree 100% with your post. They try to be funny, but it just makes me cringe or mute the sound. They called :lucario: a legendary, called solar beam a variety of memetastic things, etc...

Sidenote: I actually enjoyed hearing Oracle and Bwett's commentary. It was real, kind of funny, informative, and none of it felt forced.

:018:

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
the issue with bb is that they just seem to know like literally nothing about the game besides the basics

like they only commentate on what I can see with my own goddamn eyes, I don't need them to tell me what I can see myself

like D1 does that too but at least he makes things more exciting and there's only one of him, bb has two malfunctioning D1s

and D1 is mediocre in the first place

Last edited:

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
my favorite part of today's commentary was BB leaving and oracle and bwett literally just going "hey all thee streaming equipment over here ****ing sucks"

Top Bottom