• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Binary Clone Binary Clone When you applied for your internship did you fulfill all of their requirements of a person they're looking for? I've got a career conference coming up and I need to apply for interviews soon. Looking at the few programmer internships available I don't really have much experience with what they're looking for. I haven't done anything web related aside from simple HTML and I haven't done anything with databases before. I pretty much only know Java and a little bit of C# from working with Unity but it doesn't seem like any of these places are looking for that.Should I even bother applying for an interview?

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
@ discord discussion: forums are a better social media than facebook, discord or reddit, idk why people prefer those.

Life

Smash Hero
It's a pacing thing. You post in a Discord, someone's probably going to answer immediately. Forums you almost always have to wait.

Forums are better suited for longer posts and long-term information storage e.g. guides.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Yeah it's mostly because Smashboards is so fricking laggy. That's the major turnoff imo. It's way less social when you have to wait ten years to get a response on SB whereas Discord or Facebook is more like a conversation since immediate responses are possible.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Binary Clone Binary Clone When you applied for your internship did you fulfill all of their requirements of a person they're looking for? I've got a career conference coming up and I need to apply for interviews soon. Looking at the few programmer internships available I don't really have much experience with what they're looking for. I haven't done anything web related aside from simple HTML and I haven't done anything with databases before. I pretty much only know Java and a little bit of C# from working with Unity but it doesn't seem like any of these places are looking for that.Should I even bother applying for an interview?
When in doubt, apply. You pretty much lose nothing by applying, and yeah, even if you don't meet the written requirements, it's still a possibility. Honestly going into my internship I knew absolutely nothing about the things I did there. I'd hardly ever worked with HTML, and I'd never touched JavaScript or JQuery. That was all I ended up doing. But in CS, nobody expects you to know exactly what you're doing right off the bat, since everything is so varied. Everyone uses a different git system or some random language or engine you don't necessarily know. They expect general baseline knowledge, and they expect you to be able to learn and ask questions.

In my experience, technical interviews ask you about loops, and they ask you about data structures. And that's pretty much it. The rest is distinguishing yourself in other ways, like in leadership and people skills, and that's probably more important than technical skill. Remember there are tons and tons of people with technical skills that are good enough. To make yourself stand out, you have to make it clear that you're good at working with people and will do well as a part of the team and the company, not just make usable code.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
there's no consistent way to get a huge chunk of info in the same way you can a forum post, is my problem with it. SB isn't likely to close off anytime soon, meanwhile a discord server can go up into thin air whenever (and discord itself hasn't been around for that long, so no guarantees on longevity there) and when everyone posts relevant character info solely in those servers that's an issue

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
And the best part ? People on discord gather data on google docs and spend half their time asking each other who has a link for this or that doc. Like "if only we had a place on the internet dedicated to store data on smash, how sweet would that be. Anyone has our MU chart ?"

Discord is a welcome replacement for Skype but that's about as far as it goes.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
It's a pacing thing. You post in a Discord, someone's probably going to answer immediately. Forums you almost always have to wait.

Forums are better suited for longer posts and long-term information storage e.g. guides.
Idk I sometimes have to wait hours for a response on discord too. Forums work just as well for flighty conversation as they work for long, thoughtful discussions. It is the perfect social media. Anything else basically lives on by exploiting the human ego and need for instant gratification.

The only reason forums are "slow" is the lack of a large active userbase, and the reason there isn't a large active userbase is that people think forums are "slow".

Also I don't experience any lag on SB. Don't know what that's about.

Life

Smash Hero
IDK I think part of the reason for the decline of smashboards is there's a front page now; I miss when you could type in smashboards.com and BAM there's your forums.

Also I only really check alerts these days; barely any reason to go elsewhere, which snowballs into inactivity outside heavily active threads like this one, TLS, PP's thread, etc.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
It has been fun PMS...

nwo.jpg

But good night to all you jabroni weebs who work a work and work themselves into a shoot BROTHER
-GB

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Bazkip

Smash Master
Smashboards is super ****ty on mobile, which is probably a big reason for people choosing to not use it and opting for other platforms instead.

Warchamp7 Warchamp7 pls fix

Zoma

Smash Journeyman
IDK I think part of the reason for the decline of smashboards is there's a front page now; I miss when you could type in smashboards.com and BAM there's your forums.
Also, that front page is mostly filled with poorly written fluff and Omni videos.

Maybe some people enjoy them, I don't know.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Me and my friend were trying to explain the Jojo series to another friend of mine. Needless to say, 90% of it went over his head, but it was hilarious watching him react all the absurd plot lines and obvious music references. Also he was floored when I showed a picture of Araki and told him Araki is 57 years old.

Top Bottom