• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Project M on a PAL Wii *UPDATED*

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
No, one I bought from EB Games about 7 years ago lol
You'll need to acquire an NTSC Brawl disc or ISO. Unfortunately there is no PAL release for PM so all tournaments in European countries + Oceania must mod their Wiis and run the NTSC version of the game to get it to work.

Aidan25

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidan
3DS FC
0361-7892-7562
You'll need to acquire an NTSC Brawl disc or ISO. Unfortunately there is no PAL release for PM so all tournaments in European countries + Oceania must mod their Wiis and run the NTSC version of the game to get it to work.
I see, so could you please tell me then how big the ISO is so I know what size SD card or USB to buy?

Edit: Also do I only have to do it once and then I never have to plug the SD card or USB back into my Wii when I want to play Project M again? One last question, do you all play Project M more on Netplay or on the Wii or about the same of both?

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I see, so could you please tell me then how big the ISO is so I know what size SD card or USB to buy?

Edit: Also do I only have to do it once and then I never have to plug the SD card or USB back into my Wii when I want to play Project M again? One last question, do you all play Project M more on Netplay or on the Wii or about the same of both?
It would help if you read the OP of this thread, as it does detail the answer to your initial questions but I will answer them none-the-less.

You will need a USB of at least 8gb in size as the Brawl ISO is around 7.92gb. You will also need a SD card of 1gb or larger; the PM files themselves are around 500mb. The USB Loader it runs the blank Brawl ISO off your USB with cheats enabled that makes it load files from the SD card and thus boots up Project M. Yes, you will need to have both peripherals in your Wii whenever you want to play Project M; the installation is not permanent. Read the OP for a full explanation on this.

Some people only play on console and some people play a mix of both console and netplay. I'm personally around a 70:30 Console:Netplay ratio. Search around if there's any local meets near you and you can get in some offline games.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Aidan25

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidan
3DS FC
0361-7892-7562
It would help if you read the OP of this thread, as it does detail the answer to your initial questions but I will answer them none-the-less.

You will need a USB of at least 8gb in size as the Brawl ISO is around 7.92gb. You will also need a SD card of 1gb or larger; the PM files themselves are around 500mb. The USB Loader it runs the blank Brawl ISO off your USB with cheats enabled that makes it load files from the SD card and thus boots up Project M. Yes, you will need to have both peripherals in your Wii whenever you want to play Project M; the installation is not permanent. Read the OP for a full explanation on this.

Some people only play on console and some people play a mix of both console and netplay. I'm personally around a 70:30 Console:Netplay ratio. Search around if there's any local meets near you and you can get in some offline games.

Hope this helps. :)
I agree, I probably should have read the first post. But thank you for helping me out and making it sound so easy :p I'll do this all after the HSC (dreading it like hell)

Segher

Smash Rookie
I followed all the steps, but when I start the game in USB Loader it says: "Code has more than 255 lines". After that I just get the vanilla game :(

Segher

Smash Rookie
Yes it is, I also did everything twice to make sure I didnt do anything wrong. There is also this weird thing where in the settings I cant find the hook type.

Michael Spinks

Smash Rookie
I'd just like to say a big THANK YOU - to ndowner for this post!

For 2 days last week I was trying to get this to work on my PAL 4.3E wii with no luck, I asked on several forums but never got a straight solid answer on what I was doing wrong till I found this guide. I then had it working within a few hours!

I currently have Call of Duty BO3, MGS5, Star Wars BF3, Fallout 4 and some wii U games but I'm having more fun playing this (project M pack) with my family/mates!

Thank you again for the great noob friendly guide :-)

Hurr1cane

Smash Rookie
Okay, I have been following this guide, and I must say, it's really well done. However, I do have one problem.

I have set up the Homebrew channel, USB Loader GX, and the SD card, as per the instructions. My problem lies with my USB Drive. I have a completely blank USB Drive (64GB), and I have downloaded WBFS. When I first plug my unformatted USB drive into my Wii, it detects the USB card, and brings me to a menu telling me "No WBFS or FAT/NTFS/EXT partition found. You can select or format a partition or use the channel loader mode."

When I click on Select a Partition, it comes up saying "Partition 1: 2048.00GB". Obviously, this is strange, considering the fact that my drive is only 64GB. When I click on Format, it comes up with "Format Successful", and I hit OK. After hiting OK, I get an error message: "ERROR: Failed to open partition". Then, I get booted to the Wii home screen.

I tried formatting the USB to WBFS using the program, and it comes up saying that the format was successful. I can then add my Brawl.iso into the drive without any problems (This takes around 10-15 mins). When I plug the USB Drive back into the Wii, it searches for the Drive, apparently finding it, before a menu shows up saying "No USB Drive Found. Switching to Channel Menu".

I'm desperate to try out Project M, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Spinks

Smash Rookie
As someone who had trouble getting it to work (till I found this guide) I will try to answer as best as I can - are you sure the USB stick is in the correct slot on your wii console - it HAS to be the correct port (port 0) or it won't work.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SDlR4sT20VA/SicDYHtKJqI/AAAAAAAAAXg/r_4riw4jRnI/s400/usb.jpg

this image shows port 0

Also I have had problems in the past with fake USB drives from ebay etc - this probably isn't your problem but worth checking its a genuine working USB lol

Last edited:

Hurr1cane

Smash Rookie
As someone who had trouble getting it to work (till I found this guide) I will try to answer as best as I can - are you sure the USB stick is in the correct slot on your wii console - it HAS to be the correct port (port 0) or it won't work.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SDlR4sT20VA/SicDYHtKJqI/AAAAAAAAAXg/r_4riw4jRnI/s400/usb.jpg

this image shows port 0

Also I have had problems in the past with fake USB drives from ebay etc - this probably isn't your problem but worth checking its a genuine working USB lol
Okay, it turns out, that you were right. My USB pen wasn't compatible with the Wii, and was actually a generic unbranded USB I was using. I managed to get my hands on a Sandisc USB drive from my girlfriend, which is working a treat. So hyped to be playing Project M. And @OP, thanks for the great guide :D

Michael Spinks

Smash Rookie
Okay, it turns out, that you were right. My USB pen wasn't compatible with the Wii, and was actually a generic unbranded USB I was using. I managed to get my hands on a Sandisc USB drive from my girlfriend, which is working a treat. So hyped to be playing Project M. And @OP, thanks for the great guide :D
That's great - glad you got it working, I know the pain of having it almost working but not so glad I could help!

MKWAnthony

Smash Rookie
NNID
MKWAnthony
3DS FC
0189-8424-4462
Hi, so I'm up to the stage where I load WAD Manager, and when I want to press A once it loads it does nothing, and pressing B also does nothing.

EDIT: Never mind, I was attempting to use the GameCube controller and when using a Wii remote without Wii Motion Plus it worked. This might be worth noting for anyone who will also encounter this.

Last edited:

MKWAnthony

Smash Rookie
NNID
MKWAnthony
3DS FC
0189-8424-4462
Okay first of all, sorry for the double-post.

Secondly, I made it till the end however I'm greeted to a constant black screen. I have enabled Ocarina and changed my 'hooktype' to AXNextFrame. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

Connector

Smash Rookie
hey so i just tried setting this up and followed all the steps as stated. Problem i am having is when loading the brawl iso it just loads brawl and not pm and also the brawl seems to have no charcacters or anything anyway

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
Why doesn't someone just make a build of this sort of thing and send that out for download...?

MrTacoKingSSBM

Smash Rookie
I extracted all the files to my SD Card, but when I put it in my wii there is no letterbomb anywhere to be found, I am using a 4 gb SDHC FAT32 Card, PLEASE HELP

WildPyro

Smash Rookie
I'm having problems, I've done everything to a T, but when I boot up USBLoader, it says "Error, HDD not found swicthing to channel list." But I have a 8 GB USB plugged into Port 0.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

I'm having problems, I've done everything to a T, but when I boot up USBLoader, it says "Error, HDD not found swicthing to channel list." But I have a 8 GB USB plugged into Port 0.

Help would be greatly appreciated!
Some brands of USB dont work well with wii. http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List is a non exhaustive list.

So, if you can try another do so.

Otherwise, try the guide i liked above for a slightly different way of making the usb drive.

WildPyro

Smash Rookie
Thank you, it turns out, it was my USB, I tried again with a TB HDD and it works perfectly!
Turbo Mode Hype!

JediJess

Smash Rookie
NNID
J3diJ3ss
3DS FC
4313-1221-1705
There is no other way to get the NTSC .iso file, you must download it if you want to play Project M in Australia.
I can actually verify that it is possible to play an American copy of Brawl on an Australian Wii. You can do it via any method that loads the disk except via the home menu. I know you can use USBLoaderGX (as well as copy it with that), Riivolution (disabl any patches) and the Project M launcher itself.
I've been playing Legac M with an actual NTSC disk on a PAL wii without troubles. just wanted to clarify that it could be done.

WattoMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sonkip
3DS FC
2638-4775-6754
I followed the guide and it loads the game under brawl's design and doesn't add mewtwo and roy, but every pokemon of the pokemon trainer takes his own slot. when I start a match, the game freezes with strange sound coming from the wii.
help :(

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
I followed the guide and it loads the game under brawl's design and doesn't add mewtwo and roy, but every pokemon of the pokemon trainer takes his own slot. when I start a match, the game freezes with strange sound coming from the wii.
help :(
does it come up with some kind of "could not load" message when you boot into USB Loader? seems like the installation might have gone wrong somewhere. did you turn ocarina on? (or off i forget which) and the other setting in that menu?

WattoMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sonkip
3DS FC
2638-4775-6754
does it come up with some kind of "could not load" message when you boot into USB Loader? seems like the installation might have gone wrong somewhere. did you turn ocarina on? (or off i forget which) and the other setting in that menu?
Everything is okay, but it loads brawl with some changes from project M. I turned ocarina on, and I downloaded the 3.6 version from project mirror and copied it to sd

DeadeyezRy

Smash Rookie
I load up Homebrew, click Project M and then Play on the main menu and then it reboots me to the wii menu.

If I try USB loader, it appears with the "USB Loader" screen and then immediately reboots to the wii menu.

Any ideas?

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
I load up Homebrew, click Project M and then Play on the main menu and then it reboots me to the wii menu.

If I try USB loader, it appears with the "USB Loader" screen and then immediately reboots to the wii menu.

Any ideas?
the Project M loader is only there if you have an NTSC brawl disc in the drive
if you're USB loading you can't use it

dunno about why USB loader isn't working, have you checked your USB is compatible with Wiis? http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

HTM Virzi

Smash Rookie
I have an issue can someone please help :(
I have all the files perfectly done in my SD card from Step 10 and 11
But when I try to open USB loader GX I just get sent back to the home menu
And for some reason Homebrew doesnt detect any apps either

Narpas_sword

Top Bottom