• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Project M on a PAL Wii *UPDATED*

ndowner

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4828-4856-6512
Yes I know, there are a few guides out there but mine is superior. This is what worked for me, and if you follow all of the steps it should work for you. I've included links for ALL of the files you will need (apart from the brawl iso)

Setting up Project M on your PAL Wii

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

1. a USB thumb drive (at least 8GB) or HDD that you need to dedicate to your Wii. You will need to format this so the Wii can read it, so it can't be used for anything else.

**NOTE** apparently you can just format it to FAT32 (32kb cluster size) and it works, I haven't tried it myself though.

2. An SD card. When I was doing this I was under the impression that the Wii could only read 2GB SD (not SDHC) cards. However the most recent update allows the Wii to read up to 8GB SD AND SDHC cards. A microSD and an SD converter will work fine. You will also need an SD card reader for your PC.

3. An NTSC Brawl iso. If you have a PAL copy of brawl, there's no harm in downloading an NTSC version to play PM

4. Project M - < http://projectmgame.com/en/download > - download the 'Homebrew Option ZIP (Full Set)'

5. WBFS Manager - < http://wbfsmanager.codeplex.com/ >

6. All of these files;
- http://please.hackmii.com/ (I'll go through what you need to do to download in the steps, but if you already have the homebrew channel on your Wii, ignore this)
- https://www.dropbox.com/s/382rug38fuxbv25/USBLoaderFiles.zip?dl=0

THE PROCESS

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL ON YOUR WII SKIP TO STEP 6

So let's assume your Wii is updated to the most recent firmware, which is 4.3E. If not, perform an update.

1. Turn on your Wii, go into the Wii Options>Wii settings>Internet>Console Information. What you will find is your MAC Address. Type your MAC address into http://please.hackmii.com/ AND MAKE SURE 4.3E IS CHECKED. start the download by clicking on either 'cut the red wire' or 'cut the blue wire' it doesn't matter.

2. Put your SD card into your computer and do a quick format. Extract all of the files from LetterBomb.zip onto your SD

3. Put the SD card into your Wii whilst it's turned off. Turn it on and have a look at your messages on the bottom right of the Wii Menu screen. What should appear is a message/letter with the letterbomb logo, however if it's not here, go into calendar view and have a look. When it, it appeared under yesterday.

4. Click on the letter bomb and your screen should go black with white text. There will be a disclaimer that lasts for 30 seconds-ish, so don't stress that your wii has frozen, just wait and press 1 to continue.

5. From here follow these commands. >continue >install the homebrew channel >yes, continue >continue >exit

and wallah, you now have the homebrew channel.

6. Put your SD card in the computer, complete another quick format, open up the .rar file you downloaded from the dropbox link < https://www.dropbox.com/s/382rug38fuxbv25/USBLoaderFiles.zip > and open up the first folder 'USB Loader GX', open up the second folder 'Files' and extract all these files onto the root directory of your SD card. your SD card root directory should have files such as 'wad', 'textcodes' etc on it, rather than all of these files in one folder.

7. eject your SD card from the computer and put it back into your Wii. From here, turn on your wii and open up the home brew channel. Make sure your wii is connected to wifi in order to get the most updated versions.

- First load up IOS236 Installer/Uninstaller.

Press 1 > Download IOS from NUS > Press A to Install > Exit

- Second, load up cIOSX rev20b Installer.

Select IOS236 > Press A > Select IOS56 v5661 > Select IOS249 > Network Installation > Any button to continue > Select IOS38 v4123 > Select IOS250 > Network Installation > Exit (B to Restart)

- Third, swipe right to the next page and open the WAD Manager.

Press A > IOS249 > Disable > Wii SD Slot > open up the WAD folder and select USB Loader GX > Install WAD > any button to continue and close the WAD manager

Alternatively, follow < https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKPEgwbCFa8 > from [4:22] to [9:10].

you will now have a usb loader channel, but it won't work and it will redirect you to the Wii home menu. I will explain how to fix this in step 11

8. What we need to do now is open up WBFS manager and put that brawl.iso onto your HDD/thumb drive. In order to do this you need to format the drive using the WBFS manager. To do this, locate your drive in the drop-down box up the top (make sure it's the right one) and click the format button to the right.
(once you do this every time you connect this drive to your computer, windows will ask you to format it, make sure to click 'cancel' every time)

9. locate where your brawl.iso is by clicking on the 'browse' button on the right side of the program. once you have located it, simply press 'Add to drive'. This will take a few minutes, so you can complete step 10 whilst it's doing its thing.

10. insert the SD card back into your computer, and perform another quick format. locate the file 'homebrew.zip' that you downloaded from the project M website. extract the contents of this file onto the root directory of your SD card.

11. find the file that you downloaded from the dropbox link entitled 'USBLoader_GX_V3_0_AllinOnePackage_IOS249.zip and extract these to your SD card's root directory. On your SD card this should appear in the 'apps' folder.

12. Now everything that requires a computer is complete. connect your thumb drive/HDD to the OUTMOST USB PORT. The inner port wont work.

13. Put your SD card back into your wii (this is the last time you need to do this, you can keep it in there from now on).

14. Now, you need to open up USB Loader GX. The first time I tried to do this it didn't work from the channel on the wii menu, so i had to open homebrew and load it from there. simply open homebrew>usbloder gx>load and it should start work. If it opens and it starts searching for your usb drive, just give it another try, this happens occasionally.

15. You should now be on the usb loader GX that you loaded from homebrew. From now on you should be able to load it from the channel on the Wii Menu without a problem.

16. The only thing you need to do now is turn ocarina on. you can either do this by locating the brawl iso and following >game settings>loader settings>ocarina and turning it to on (it should say global before changing it), or just turn it on from the usb loader settings (if you do this, leave it as global in the settings for brawl).

**NOTE** apparently changing the 'hooktype' to AXNextFrame (also done in game settings) will remove some minor glitches.

and there you go, when you open up brawl from usb loader gx project M should load. if you want to play brawl just change he ocarina setting to 'off'.

I hope this guide helps, written by Nicolas Downer.

Last edited:

Mavrek

Smash Cadet
Should probably remove the part about getting the game or this'll probably get locked/deleted.
There is no other way to get the NTSC .iso file, you must download it if you want to play Project M in Australia. If you have a legit copy of Brawl, I don't see any harm in just downloading the the American version purely to use PM with. But if you don't own Brawl, I don't recommend downloading the NTSC .iso as a rule.

Tranquility

<3 Yoshi
There is no other way to get the NTSC .iso file, you must download it if you want to play Project M in Australia. If you have a legit copy of Brawl, I don't see any harm in just downloading the the American version purely to use PM with. But if you don't own Brawl, I don't recommend downloading the NTSC .iso as a rule.
Maybe, but I've seen a few posts get deleted for mentioning it so I thought I'd warn him.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
what you wanna do first is counterfeit some money, buy a plane to america with it, buy a copy of NTSC brawl + wii with the counterfeited money, and then return home and put the SD card with project m into your wii.

that way we can avoid piracy right

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
When I load NTSC-U Brawl the thing's half loaded.
The CSS is there and the 4 stock default.
But the textures are absent and when i try to play a game it freezes.
???

BTW downloading NTSC-U Brawl is illegal, end of story.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
i once walked across the street when the man was red
no1 caught me but im so ashamed dont tell no1 pls

Daelor

Smash Rookie
Just got it working now! Took me until 1 in the morning but it was worth it! Thank you so much for this tutorial! :)

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for this guide, worked perfectly. I already had USBLoader and stuff already installed but the rest was a breeze.

Swswan

Smash Journeyman
hey, yeah, im using a pal wii and game disk but i have loaded the htsc version of brawl on my usb loader gx and it runs fine (i had it freeze twice since posting this - changed tv output to forced pal50 and its slower but fixed), but whenever i put ocarina on and change the hook to what is instructed it loads to brawl but with all the new characters.
Firstly it will go to the usual wii mote warning - but instead of opening up the project m banner and having the intro with the characters all purple, it says something about online functionality and then loads normally...i go to characters and all the project m characters are there, but shortly after the system freezes and emits a humming noise.
Desperate to play some project M, my melee is scratched. Any help would be very much appreciated.

i've followed this guide to no avail, ive completed step 10 and 11, but when loading it doesnt load properly and it freezes, help!
Further, now running 'force pal50' in the brawl settings i can play using these characters - for example pokemon trainer is split up into 3 chars. but now, non of the effects of project m are there - falling speed, new moves, everythuing, im lost...

Swswan

Smash Journeyman
do i load gecko through the ntsc version of smash through the usb loader gx?

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
do i load gecko through the ntsc version of smash through the usb loader gx?
Change video mode to Force NTSC in Brawl's Game Load settings.

For everyone, in USB Loader GX, change Hooktype to AXNextFrame, this will remove more glitches I found in Single Player Mode.

Also recommend Savegame Manager, to backup your save file incase you're worried someone will delete your data etc...

Swswan

Smash Journeyman
Change video mode to Force NTSC in Brawl's Game Load settings.

For everyone, in USB Loader GX, change Hooktype to AXNextFrame, this will remove more glitches I found in Single Player Mode.

Also recommend Savegame Manager, to backup your save file incase you're worried someone will delete your data etc...

ok so currently i have been able to get project m 2.1 working through the installer, it works pretty much perfectly, all the characters that are loaded have all of their moves and the playtyle is more similar to that of melee...however its 2.1 so im missing a whollleee load of characters.
What can i do to update the 2.1 to the 3.0? i assume i need to take the pf file (with all the chracters and moves etc) and replace the current one from 2.1, but do i need to upgrade the launcher at all?
when i try to just drag chracter files over it freezes eventually - have yet to have a freeze since leaveing the 2.1 installation the same.

if i use those settings will it run the 3.0 homebrew version of the game i have siting on my desktop without an installation needed?
thankyou in advance!

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
ok so currently i have been able to get project m 2.1 working through the installer, it works pretty much perfectly, all the characters that are loaded have all of their moves and the playtyle is more similar to that of melee...however its 2.1 so im missing a whollleee load of characters.
What can i do to update the 2.1 to the 3.0? i assume i need to take the pf file (with all the chracters and moves etc) and replace the current one from 2.1, but do i need to upgrade the launcher at all?
when i try to just drag chracter files over it freezes eventually - have yet to have a freeze since leaveing the 2.1 installation the same.

if i use those settings will it run the 3.0 homebrew version of the game i have siting on my desktop without an installation needed?
thankyou in advance!
Starting from 3.00 and onwards, P:M has its own folder 'projectm'. I recommend starting from scratch and downloading the Homebrew full set of 3.02 (if you haven't already). http://projectmgame.com/en/download. You do not need the private/wii/app/RSBE folder anymore so you can delete or save it to your PC as archives/backup.

Replace the RSBE01.gct in SD/codes folder with the one from 3.02.

Place projectm folder in the SD card directly, there's no need to do any manual replacing unless you're into editing music/textures and stuff.

You'll load Project M the same way as previous versions by loading Brawl in USB Loader GX, with the settings I provided in the OP (turning Ocarina ON), while changing video mode to Force NTSC, and hooktype to AXNextFrame.

Good luck.

Swswan

Smash Journeyman
1ampercent.
you a god amongst men.
i love you.
project m works perfectly, everything there, no freezes, absolutely the best game ive ever played and so worth the 2-3 days + invested to get it working.
thankyou for this information, i will save ur msg so i never have to worry about this again.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
1ampercent.
you a god amongst men.
i love you.
project m works perfectly, everything there, no freezes, absolutely the best game ive ever played and so worth the 2-3 days + invested to get it working.
thankyou for this information, i will save ur msg so i never have to worry about this again.
2 years ago, I was desperate to get Project M working, but no idea how to do it, until...
http://smashmods.com/forum/threads/...your-softmod-pal-wii-with-usb-loader-gx.4609/

That is the first guide I've seen on how to run Project M on PAL, it is obviously outdated but I couldn't have ran it without that guide. It has some pictures that may help those who still has no idea how to run it.

Btw have fun enjoying Project M.

Swswan

Smash Journeyman
2 years ago, I was desperate to get Project M working, but no idea how to do it, until...
http://smashmods.com/forum/threads/...your-softmod-pal-wii-with-usb-loader-gx.4609/

That is the first guide I've seen on how to run Project M on PAL, it is obviously outdated but I couldn't have ran it without that guide. It has some pictures that may help those who still has no idea how to run it.

Btw have fun enjoying Project M.

yup,
so my quest started with this guide, i used it to the tee but for some reason it didnt work, it worked in getting homebrew on my wii, and getting usb loader organised after that (with the cIOS from the video he links). i could load the ntsc version of brawl with no issues, but any time i put ocarina on and put the setting to wbi (oir whatever it is) it would just freeze my wii and emit a buzzing noise. i looked around heaps and made forum accounts to find answers but nothing really came to fruition until tonight.

i was linked that guide above and i followed it perfectly, it then loaded 2.1 as it should have and i was playing that with no characters in comparison to the 3.0 version.
i asked on the forum here and got ur answer which got it to work - basically changing the video type to force ntsc and changing the hook to AXNextframe fixed my issue.

This page came up quite a bit in my searches, so anyone having issues getting this installed should now be able to do it pretty easy considering our conversation.
wooo, project m is sooooo much fun, been playing the training map, DK and bowser are monsterrssss
lucario, ivysaur, pitt, zelda, samus (and even ike) are ridiculously fun to play.

Last edited:

BlazingBlueWolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlazingBlueWolf
I need help. I followed the guide entirely, I've turned ocarina on, set the hook type to VBI(Default) and set the video type to Force NTSC but when I load the game I get an error screen that says Exception (DSI) Ocurred. Help! I really want to play Turbo Mode v-v

BlazingBlueWolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlazingBlueWolf
Changed it to AXNextFrame but I still got the error screen. It says "Exception (DSI) Ocurred, Stack Dump, Code Dump, Reloading in 20 seconds" except it dosen't reload it just freezes.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
Changed it to AXNextFrame but I still got the error screen. It says "Exception (DSI) Ocurred, Stack Dump, Code Dump, Reloading in 20 seconds" except it dosen't reload it just freezes.
I'm going to assume your Wii isn't properly softmodded, do the following steps in this guide, it will update it.

http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/96886-guide-softmod-any-wii.html

Skip any steps that you're 100% sure you have done before, anything that's unfamiliar or you don't remember you should redo.

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
1. a USB thumb drive (at least 8GB) or HHD that you need to dedicate to your Wii. You will need to format this so the Wii can read it, so it can't be used for anything else.
I've used both NTFS and FAT32, this isnt 2007 any more

Last edited:

BlazingBlueWolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlazingBlueWolf
I'm going to assume your Wii isn't properly softmodded, do the following steps in this guide, it will update it.

Skip any steps that you're 100% sure you have done before, anything that's unfamiliar or you don't remember you should redo.
I followed the guide and now I have Configurable USB Loader and NeoGamma as well as USBLoader GX but none of them work. USBLoaderGX: There is no error screen but now it just freezes when I select the game. HookType: AxNextFrame, Ocarina:On
Configurable USB Loader: I select Super Smash Bros. Brawl and then select options to change the hook type and turn ocarina on but when I try to change the page in options to do this it freezes for a couple seconds then takes me back to the home menu. The same happens if just try and load the game.
NeoGamma: I try to load the game but it says "No USB codes detected" and then says "DVD Err(000000000) Open Partitio"

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
ty for the heads up
You should format it to FAT32 with 32kb clusters, that way if you ever want to mod your Wii for Gamecube backups you can use the same harddrive without having to format it again (you can do this with EaseUS partition master)

Last edited:

BlazingBlueWolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlazingBlueWolf
Check this guide to see if your USB is listed and reported as compatible.

Also, turn ocarina off to see if you can just run Regular NTSC Brawl from USB Loader GX.
My USB is a TDK 16GB and is listed as not tested for homebrew and geexbox and works for usb loader.
A tried to laod it with ocarina off and the error screen came back. I'm starting to feel like I'm never gonna play it >.<'

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
My USB is a TDK 16GB and is listed as not tested for homebrew and geexbox and works for usb loader.
A tried to laod it with ocarina off and the error screen came back. I'm starting to feel like I'm never gonna play it >.<'
Try loading a completely different game off USB Loader. If that game works then there's something wrong with your NTSC Brawl iso.

BlazingBlueWolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlazingBlueWolf
I'm getting a Resident Evil 4 iso, and in the mean time I thought I'd try two other iso's for Brawl that I have.

BlazingBlueWolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlazingBlueWolf
SUCCESS (kinda...) With one of the other brawl iso's I got it to load, but it didnt load with project m. Any ideas why? When I place project m in the sd card do I place the contents of the folder "projectm" or the folder itself?

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
When you download P:M, it contains 3 folders (apps, codes, projectm) and gameconfig.txt.

Just copy all of those directly to the SD card and it should work.

BlazingBlueWolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlazingBlueWolf
I don't remember which set I downloaded but the file is called nohomebrew and inside that is three folders called codes, private and projectm, a boot.elf file and gameconfig text document. Will these work or do I need a different set?

Top Bottom