• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M: Metal Sonic (v3.0 LAST?)

BALANCED? WHUUUAAAT?

• Top Tier

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Mid Tier

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Low Tier

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Lone Devil

Smash Cadet
Download: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=211133

New:

V2.0

Old:

Oldest:

True Modern Metal Sonic over Wolf for vBrawl and most importantly, Project M. My model shown here is a custom that is a mix of Sonic Adventure 2 Metal Sonic and parts from the god-awful Winter Olympics design (Sonic 4 Model) with slight vertex edits. Basically my vision of what the real Metal Sonic should've look like for the modern era, or at least stayed (*cough* SA2's accurate design of Metal Sonic). The model blends rather well with Brawl's graphics, and should fit in with Smash 3's style. read README.txt for more details.

:GCA: Basic Attacks:
Njab - Quick 3 hit combo, third hit can either be MID, LOW (down) or HIGH (up), can combo to Bair at high percents.
Ftilt - Has decent range, good for wall combos. 11%
Dtilt - can combo into Utilt, UpSmash, Uair spike, or Bair depending on percentages. 6%
Utilt - Combo starter, can lead to kill combos at higher percentages. 10%
Dashjab - Has a bit of forward knockback for combos . 7%

USmash - Similar to Brawl Sonic. decent kill move at highest percents after downgrab. 17% ~ 12% (away)
FSmash - Slow and unsafe but has strong damage output and knockback. 19% ~ 17% (away)
DSmash - Alot similar to Sonic, quite weak but has good range. 15% ~ 12%

Nair - Does 12% if close, otherwise it does a pity 9% and below.
Fair - Aerial combo starter. 12% (close) or 11%
Bair - Kinda slow but a quick kill move at high percents, also a combo ender. 15% to 9% (away)
Uair - Slow but great for quick kills or ending combos, can also spike behind. 15% to 9%
Dair - Can spike at the first frame. 13% to 9%

:GCZ: Grabs:
Forward - Rather standard forward grab. 7%
Back - Simliar to Sonics Bgrab, has strong knockback. 5%
Up - Good for combos such as Utilt or chain grabbing at lower percentages. 7%
Down - Combo starter for either Utilt, UpSmash, or Bair. 8%

:GCB:Specials:
NSpecial - Like in Sonic CD, except it shocks the opponent multiple times. can be charged for twice the damage. 10% ~ 20% (hold)

NAirSpecial - Like NSpecial but slightly weaker and smaller, with upwards knockback.

DownSpecial - Produces a Black Shield like in Sonic Adventure 2, good in midair for multiple hits and a combo starter similar to Falco's shine (at frame 1). becomes
useless the longer its active. 7% to 3%

UpSpecial - Similar to Wolf's but nearly at an instant. only meant for recovery. 3%

SideSpecial - V Maximum Overdrive Attack like in Sonic CD, good for recovery and has decent knockback, Hold B for extended distance, also cancelable by tapping B again. 15%

v3.0 Demonstration

Credits:
Nibroc-Rock - Neo Metal Sonic model.
TheRealHeroOfWinds - Minor scratches & dirt on yellow parts and shoes of Metal Sonic texture.

Need more mods? then please check out my Other Thread.

Last edited:

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
What the heck, I was planning a Metal Sonic PSA in the far future.

Looks cool though! I'll try it out soon and provide some feedback. :)

archryn

Smash Cadet
The quality of your PSAs is absolutely astounding, I can't wait to see what else you have cooked up!

The Peacekeeper

Smash Cadet
You've done God's work man. We got to give Metal some love that wasn't that crap PSA over R.O.B.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
God, I love this. I do think the SA2 hybrid model looks a bit outdated these days, but the moveset is fantastic. Excellent work.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman

Lone Devil

Smash Cadet
(Double posting since the last post was hours ago)

If you want to possibly upgrade your model of Neo Metal Sonic, check this out! This guy is very open to giving his models to Brawl modders, too. :)
I've seen and messaged him about it before finishing my PSA, no response after a few weeks.
(And besides, I couldn't animate the landmaster article to apply a default animation and must use only 1 frame lol)

Last edited:

shaqnel

Smash Cadet
This mod is good! I have a couple suggestions. If you want to make this for brawl ex you would need to replace a boss so its separate from wolf. I also noticed he doesn't have a dash dance.

Rage83

Smash Ace
Lone Devil Lone Devil Any plans on making a soundbank that doesn't replace Wolf's default voice? (the bank can still be shared, but atm Metal Sonic's clips overwrite Wolf's ones)

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
out of curiosity will there be any changes to the moveset or is it pretty much finalized excluding balancing?

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Some critiques:
- Some parts of the model have flipped normals. This results in some awkward lighting since the visible faces are the inside ones. In order to fix this you have to go to 3ds Max, use poly mode, select all problematic polys and click on Flip Normals.
- Every object's material is using Cull_None. This means that for every poly both faces will be loaded, which will make a huge performance impact and most probably make the game lag. Only use Cull_None for things like dresses and other plane-based objects. For everything else use Cull_Inside.
- The textures need some work. The shiny effect helps but it's not enough.
- A custom shadow model for Metal Sonic would be nice. Also one for the emerald.

- The animations could use some work. They look janky and not natural enough.

- Metal Sonic is missing dash dancing.
- The dash attack is too punishable even on hit.
- Using up/down + A for the different follow-ups of the second jab would be better than A+Y/A+B.
- Run could use some better gfx for the thruster and also some wind gfx like most runs.

Lone Devil

Smash Cadet
Lone Devil Lone Devil Any plans on making a soundbank that doesn't replace Wolf's default voice? (the bank can still be shared, but atm Metal Sonic's clips overwrite Wolf's ones)
Will be worked on, the only issue is Metal Sonic uses around 10+ or less sounds so it's gonna be annoying (but worth it?).

out of curiosity will there be any changes to the moveset or is it pretty much finalized excluding balancing?
It's nearly finalized. besides mostly moveset & animations, small chance for slight model changes.

Some critiques:
- Some parts of the model have flipped normals. This results in some awkward lighting since the visible faces are the inside ones. In order to fix this you have to go to 3ds Max, use poly mode, select all problematic polys and click on Flip Normals.
- Every object's material is using Cull_None. This means that for every poly both faces will be loaded, which will make a huge performance impact and most probably make the game lag. Only use Cull_None for things like dresses and other plane-based objects. For everything else use Cull_Inside.
- The textures need some work. The shiny effect helps but it's not enough.
- A custom shadow model for Metal Sonic would be nice. Also one for the emerald.

- The animations could use some work. They look janky and not natural enough.

- Metal Sonic is missing dash dancing.
- The dash attack is too punishable even on hit.
- Using up/down + A for the different follow-ups of the second jab would be better than A+Y/A+B.
- Run could use some better gfx for the thruster and also some wind gfx like most runs.
Will definitely take note for next week or two's (depends) V1.1. Much thanks.

Lone Devil

Smash Cadet
Double Post, just to be on the safe side: Can anyone confirm no one/no mod uses soundbank 136? (SSE Arman)
I need at least 15 sounds.

Rage83

Smash Ace
Double Post, just to be on the safe side: Can anyone confirm no one/no mod uses soundbank 136? (SSE Arman)
I need at least 15 sounds.
Can confirm that Arman's soundbank isn't used by anything. It's GFX file is, but SFX are all good.

Protocol.Tin

Smash Cadet
Just tried him out, the results were nothing short of amazing. It was a really great bonus you had Ryan Drummond's voice for Metal here too.

My only note is for some reason, when I put in the sfx file, the majority of my character's announcer introductions revert back to the Brawl one instead of PM. Unless I did it wrong...?

Lone Devil

Smash Cadet
My only note is for some reason, when I put in the sfx file, the majority of my character's announcer introductions revert back to the Brawl one instead of PM. Unless I did it wrong...?
Because you used 223.sawdz, has only preset Metal Sonic brawl announcer used.

Protocol.Tin

Smash Cadet
Ah, that explains it. It's my first time doing this kind of thing, really appreciate the answer!

I look forward to any further updates with Metal! Keep up the great work, my friend.

Grecianfox

Smash Cadet
could you make include a brawlex version with config templates. I tried to apply them but because I stink at brawl modding to begin with It just Showed up a wolf.

Lone Devil

Smash Cadet
could you make include a brawlex version with config templates. I tried to apply them but because I stink at brawl modding to begin with It just Showed up a wolf.
Been working on it, hopefully it will also be compatible with PM by default. (if you know what I mean.)
I should be done around this week.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Wait, there's a difference in Metals Sonic 4 design?

"Looks up and compares to pictures with older models"

His spikes are more sharper but that's the only difference I see, everything else looks the same.

Lone Devil

Smash Cadet

Grecianfox

Smash Cadet
do you have a time machine or something. It says you posted your comment at 4:12, but its 3:49 here.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
do you have a time machine or something. It says you posted your comment at 4:12, but its 3:49 here.
Woah...
Nitpicking, this is basically nitpicking.
I also think it's a very particular taste, but it's his thing; he's gonna do it because it's what he wants to do and he's passionate about it. There are plenty of good Metal Sonic models over Wolf :)

Wolley2xjd

I also think it's a very particular taste, but it's his thing; he's gonna do it because it's what he wants to do and he's passionate about it. There are plenty of good Metal Sonic models over Wolf :)
That doesn't change the fact that it's still nitpicking, I understanding liking one design over the other because of little things, but when someone claims that one design is bad because of small things, then that's nitpicking mate.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
That doesn't change the fact that it's still nitpicking, I understanding liking one design over the other because of little things, but when someone claims that one design is bad because of small things, then that's nitpicking mate.
I said it basically is nitpicking: I agree with you. What I meant is that he doesn't have to care what you think about his opinion, because it's his project and that's how he wants it.

Wolley2xjd

I said it basically is nitpicking: I agree with you. What I meant is that he doesn't have to care what you think about his opinion, because it's his project and that's how he wants it.
I understand he doesn't have to care, I just hope he understands that he's complains are basically very small unimportant nitpicks, like you said before there's other Metal skins to use.

Real talk, i never noticed that Metal's designs changed, I guess that's the power of nitpicking huh?

Lone Devil

Smash Cadet
Nitpicking, this is basically nitpicking.
Oh yes, Criticizing is totally nitpicking. Like there's nothing wrong with Sonic Boom's Sonic design either. *cough* sportstape, blue arms, extra spikly fur.

Back on topic.

Wolley2xjd

Oh yes, Criticizing is totally nitpicking. Like there's nothing wrong with Sonic Boom's Sonic design either. *cough* sportstape, blue arms, extra spikly fur.

Back on topic.

I'm not even such if you're joking about the Boom part.

Top Bottom