• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M for Sm4sh and Necessary Competitive Changes

BigBubbs

Smash Cadet
Hello!

POSSIBLE CRINGE WARNING: I am new to smashboards (like, I literally made my account today), so I don't know how to use the website. I'm also a casual who enjoys the competitive scene, but lacks skill and knows too little about it to be an active member. Some of the questions I ask or answers I give might be a bit dumb. Just a heads up.

With that out of the way, I have a question about if there was a Project M for Sm4sh (or a similar mod). What changes would be given to the characters?

Of course, there are characters from Brawl that closely resemble their Smash 4 counterparts (Link, Donkey Kong, Falco, etc.), so they'd be easy to bring into PM2, but what about characters that have received massive changes, like ZSS, Olimar, or Charizard? What about Mario, who hasn't seen any drastic changes in his moveset or mechanics, but received massive buffs, making him an entirely new character? What about Roy, who was greatly changed from his Melee form? And, even more, what about new characters, like Greninja, Little Mac, Palutena, or Shulk? What changes would these characters need in order to become competitively viable with the melee formula, enough to stand up against Fox?

And, before anyone answers, "we don't need a Project M for Sm4sh, as it's able to hold its own as a competitive game as it is," I know this. But the intricacies and technical maneuvers present in the Melee engine are far different from those of Smash 4, essentially making it a different game altogether. I just want to know what changes would be made to the Smash 4 cast if a hypothetical Project M-esque mod was developed.

Thank you for reading, and thank you for answering!

Blealolealoleal

Smash Rookie
I think as long as they fit the PM physics and are buffed to fit that way, they can play mostly like their Sm4sh counterparts, like Falco, ever tried the Sm4sh Falco on Brawl Vault that's balanced for PM? It's GOOD

BigBubbs

Smash Cadet
I think as long as they fit the PM physics and are buffed to fit that way, they can play mostly like their Sm4sh counterparts, like Falco, ever tried the Sm4sh Falco on Brawl Vault that's balanced for PM? It's GOOD
I see where you're coming from, although I'd like it better if someone reskinned that brawl Falco mod so we still have Melee Falco. Maybe Slippy, for jokes.

I'm wondering about Sheik. She's my main in Melee, and if they mod her, I want Melee Sheik back, like in PM. But she has new specials, so she's a different character. So confuse.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
There's a mod called "Fast Falling For You" (or simply F3Y) for SmashU, made by TS4M. It introduces some gameplay changes to give Sm4sh a speed much more akin to Melee alongside some balance changes for some characters. However, the ledge rules are the same as SmashU's (albeit you can't grab it from quite as afar) and he doesn't plan on implementing wavedashing or L-canceling even when they become possible to do so since he wants to maintain SmashU's core principles, but for what it's worth Brawl+ was a similar hack that paved the way for PM.

I just wouldn't expect a "PMU" to have the same heart that was put in the original PM. The original PMDT folks understandably wouldn't want to touch another such project ever again due to the issues surrounding the old PM's demise. In addition, a good lot of Smash 4 modders are absolutely paranoid and elitist nuts about Melee-styled modding for SmashU and would all likely rather staple their scrotums to a burning log than contribute to a "PMU".

BigBubbs

Smash Cadet
There's a mod called "Fast Falling For You" (or simply F3Y) for SmashU, made by TS4M. It introduces some gameplay changes to give Sm4sh a speed much more akin to Melee alongside some balance changes for some characters. However, the ledge rules are the same as SmashU's (albeit you can't grab it from quite as afar) and he doesn't plan on implementing wavedashing or L-canceling even when they become possible to do so since he wants to maintain SmashU's core principles, but for what it's worth Brawl+ was a similar hack that paved the way for PM.

I just wouldn't expect a "PMU" to have the same heart that was put in the original PM. The original PMDT folks understandably wouldn't want to touch another such project ever again due to the issues surrounding the old PM's demise. In addition, a good lot of Smash 4 modders are absolutely paranoid and elitist nuts about Melee-styled modding for SmashU and would all likely rather staple their scrotums to a burning log than contribute to a "PMU".
Lol that's an interesting analogy. But I see what you mean. Smash 4 peeps are afraid of Melee for whatever reason. If I knew how to mod, I'd do it myself and assemble a team. However, I don't have the time, resources, or skill (also, I don't know why PM failed. Something about copyright?).

So, what Project M-esque changes do you think would be made to the new characters?

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
There is a small project to make a melee smash 4 on 3ds on this board. While progress is slow and they are still working on the engine(I think), it is there.

BigBubbs

Smash Cadet
There is a small project to make a melee smash 4 on 3ds on this board. While progress is slow and they are still working on the engine(I think), it is there.
Dude, on the 3ds? Nooooice! That's my favorite console when it comes to Smash 4! That's gonna be sick!!

D

Deleted member 269706

I just want characters to have air mobility again.

DoubleHarold

Smash Rookie
I'd be enjoy a PMU, but I'd be much more interested in a 20xxU; with the hitboxes, colour overlays, AI controls and whatnot.

Top Bottom