• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcement Project M Development Has Come to an End

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Thanks for making me feel like I truly had two Smash Bros. games on my Wii. Even though I stopped playing after 3.0 due to crazy semesters at college, I appreciate everything you've done as both fans and developers, and I honestly can't wait to see what you have next up your sleeves. My biggest hope is that Nintendo recognizes your talent as game developers and hires you to give input on the next Smash in the series, because the amount of detail and service you gave every character individually is what made your game truly unique. You would give much needed ideas to an already great team, that's for sure. Whether or not that's just a pipe dream, it's obvious that your entire team will be great at whatever it is they choose to do in the future--Be sure to keep us updated.

Good luck with your future projects, and thank you again!

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
Damn...it's the end. I only had Project M for a year and a half. Anyway, thank you guys for the wonderful mod! :)

iceeV

Smash Rookie
Hello friends,

Six years ago, we started a journey born out of our shared love for competitive fighting games. Eventually, the electrifying passion that coursed through us arced out and drew in more people until our small circle of friends grew into a team, and that team grew into an international community. Project M and its community have grown larger than any of us ever anticipated, and it’s truly heartwarming to see all of the unforgettable connections and friendships that have been forged through this project.

Unfortunately, we’re here to say that we’re at the end of that road.

We’ve learned so much in the process of making Project M—accumulating life-changing lessons in communication, team work, professionalism, work ethic, and more—but there’s only so far we can take those skills in a volunteer project. With this in mind, we’ve made a difficult business decision: We’re ready to finish development here and move on to bigger and better ventures.

We realize that this will come as a shock to many of our fans. Please, forgive us. Again, it’s been an excruciating call to make, but it’s been made a bit easier by our satisfaction with the previous and final release, v3.6. We’ve spent six years polishing Project M, and rather than let it drag on through another several years of dwindling development and change-fatigue in the competitive circle, we’re going to consider our work complete.

In the mean time, we plan to be hard at work on new projects, built from the ground up. We can’t spill the beans just yet, but know that we’re looking towards a fresh start with brand new designs. Rather than splitting our focus, many of us want to dedicate ourselves to this new venture fully. In this way, we hope to maintain the level of quality and professionalism you’ve come to expect from us.

In summary, we are ceasing development of Project M (effective immediately) and will be making no further releases as we turn our attention towards an entirely new venture. As the PMDev team will be formally disbanded, please forward all official communications regarding Project M to video game attorney and business consultant
. We appreciate your support and your understanding.

One final time,

PMDev

Thank you for playing!
Thanks for everything! I honestly dislike brawl and love melee, and this was a great alternative.

1337Kai

Smash Cadet
NNID
1337Kai
PM will only die if YOU the players give up on it. Just because development has stopped, doesn't mean that the game literally disappears from your house. As long as the community stays loyal and strong, PM will never die. The Melee community spent almost more than half its lifetime underground and in the dark, who says the PM community can't handle it? If the PM community can come together and pull through like Melee did, then PM will remain alive.

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I actually like how people have been getting better at matchup information lately. People are taking the time to try things in a lot of different approaches. A lot of uncommon match ups are finally starting to get some of those unanswered questions looked at.

Iceballz

Smash Journeyman
This still hurts, I wish development didn't have to cease.I personally adore PM now and one last patch would have been wonderful and an official patch with 3 new characters could have potentially changed the Meta quite a lot and it was a shame they were never added "Officially".Project M is probably one of, if not the best Video Game mod in existence in my opinion.It's more so it's own game.It just hurts when I think that there will never be a real 3.7 .If only...

EarthBounder

Smash Rookie
OOOOOOOO NOOOOO!!!! I JUST JOINED AND COULDN'T WAIT TO PLAY!!!!! But wait just cause you stop development does that mean project M no longer works or it just means you don't update anymore.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
OOOOOOOO NOOOOO!!!! I JUST JOINED AND COULDN'T WAIT TO PLAY!!!!! But wait just cause you stop development does that mean project M no longer works or it just means you don't update anymore.
It just means it isn't being updated anymore. The community is still big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom