• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M at Paragon

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Paragon is only a few days away, and for the first time in recent memory, Project M will be a large part of a major national tournament. Despite my best efforts, I personally am unable to attend due to work obligations I could not avoid. As a result, however, it has made me realize just what a fantastic occasion it is.

This is a landmark event in the history of Project M. It's a burning beacon that's been lit by the community after a nearly year of adversity.

Project M had several challenges in front of it before it hit full stride in 2014. It was another fan project like Brawl-, Brawl+, Balanced Brawl; one of many, competing for attention. In its early years, Project M was a fun little thing to try out on the side, but no big deal. No one ever paid it much attention early on. But the original group creating Project M had a vision, and they had the drive, the ambition and the dedication to make it happen. They worked harder, surpassing the expectations of all but the staunchest Melee purists and impressing the whole world with the amount of polish that a mod could achieve. This community climbed a mountain, and finally after years of work it came to a pinnacle at Apex 2014, where it stood alongside every official Smash game, as an equal. It still faced criticism from many, but no one cared from the top of the world. Apex, CEO, Big House 4, and a wealth of other incredible events dotted the rich history Project M was now truly beginning to paint.

Then, less than a year later, the community would face a new challenge in the form of involvement in the Smash community by Nintendo and Twitch. After Project M's most incredible year to date with 3.0, it was unceremoniously pushed aside. Tournaments dropped it, and Apex nearly sealed its fate, dropping it from the lineup after a promise of a main stage presence a year before. Nearly every other major followed suit. The lights on Project M went out, the community fell to shambles, and the story ended.

-----

Well, only for a moment. Faced with such a situation, I firmly believe almost any community would be fractured beyond repair. But the Project M community was not content. They would not accept it. They took a hold of the grassroots foundation and beliefs the Smash community was built upon and doubled down. Project M has been a five year direct effort by more than a hundred members of the community and an indirect effort by thousands if not tens or hundreds of thousands more around the world as players. It is, in my mind, the greatest and most impressive collaborative effort the Smash community has been and may ever be responsible for. The PM player base took every blow they were dealt and steeled themselves. They continued to play, and they continued to love the game, with a future fueled on the dreams and passion of the fans and creators around the globe.

And so comes Paragon, an event going against the grain. They made sacrifices for Project M's sake, and placed their faith in the community, a faith that the community was more than eager to reward them for. It wasn't enough to simply have Project M at a 2015 major. The Project M community didn't just struggle to move upstream, they broke into a full run against the current and made Paragon incredible.

It's been almost a year of fighting adversity from nearly every corner of the Smash Bros. space. Nintendo, Twitch, major events, tournament organizers and even community streamers and leaders themselves have attempted to discard Project M. Despite every single one of those things, which should have crippled the game beyond repair, the Project M community made Paragon the biggest tournament in Project M history by crowdfunding more than $10,000 for a pot bonus through T-shirt sales. It's my opinion that if you look down upon Project M or it's community, you simply just don't realize how tall they're standing.

The Apex 2015 trailer gave each game a subtitle. "The Original", "The Competitor", "The Intellectual", "The Newcomer". In that same vein, I give one to not only this game we play, but the community at whole.

Project M. The Immortal.

Warchamp7 is first and foremost a fan of Project M, and is also one of the lead members of PMDev, performing community management, website management and video editing. You can watch him get hype over Paragon this weekend on Twitter @Warchamp7.

Not Gavin

Smash Rookie
I've always wanted to try Project M, is it safe to get it on my own Wii?

Eureka

Smash Ace
Stop playing fake games they said.
Go back to Melee they said.
Nintendo killed Project M they said.
Project M is a dead game they said.
Well guess what?
Project M lives!

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I enjoy watching Project M games. It's fascinating; no less fascinating than any other Smash Bros game. It truly has more than earned its place among the others in the series.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Just kept on loving the game, just kept on playing, the game will never die

Zoa

Smash Ace
Awesome article. Get hype for Paragon. Also just wanna say PM community rocks for all the effort over the past year. Good job guys and gals.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
My only problem with Project M, is that the metagame feels articfial due to quite recent balance patches that end up making quite radicla changes. I feel like the instability of the meta contributes to it's lack of growth.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I've always wanted to try Project M, is it safe to get it on my own Wii?
You just need a Wii (U), a copy of Brawl and a 2 GB (or less) SD Card! It does no damage to your Wii / game data.
PM is probably the most developed mod ever. I used to see it as a attempt to make Brawl as Melee 2.0, but it's more than it: it can literally be interpreted as a new take on the Smash series. Now do the Dashdance! \o_o/ /o_o/ \o_o\

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
My only problem with Project M, is that the metagame feels articfial due to quite recent balance patches that end up making quite radicla changes. I feel like the instability of the meta contributes to it's lack of growth.
Don't worry--the lack of man/intelligence-power and interest seems to be going away, and 4.0 will likely mark the last of the balance changes.
Still, I don't think "artificial" is the right word. It's just usually set back to an earlier stage each time.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Balancing a roster of 41 is a delicate task of trial and error. Eventually the changes will stop and the game will grow from there.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Long live Project M! I tip my hats to the dev team and all of the dedicated fans for keeping our immortal passion burning and keep our game well and alive!

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Not a PM player, or even one who cares for it that much, but when I saw it get kicked out of most majors, and see all the videos on VGBC's YouTube get removed/made private, I was upset. I LOVE watching PM, it's so different, yet still has the hype and fast intense combos like Melee. They're always different every time, and seeing people like Professor Pro pull off the sickest Snake combo ever? That's what makes me glad to see there's so many players of PM, even if I don't prefer it.
I don't want to learn how to play it because there's so many MU's, so many different fundamentals that I don't know about, etc
I will gladly watch PM, I'm pretty hyped for it, I thought it would be gone forever. Here's to a good PM future at more majors :kirby::kirby::kirby:

Reivax

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1032-2112-0077

Pero smash4 tambien tiene patches que lo cambian todo el tiempo, es bueno que el "metagame" cambien, porque el puntod los patches es que el juego sea cada vez mas balanceado

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I disagree with "The Immortal" as a subtitle, considering how close to death it was already. Development will eventually stop for the mod, and the communitty will fade when it eventual successor, be it related or not, comes along.

Still, PM is fun to watch so more on point it will be nice to see it again.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
You can't kill the metal!

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
This genuinely brought a slight tear to my eye. Project M has proven to have the strongest community in smash and one of the strongest in gaming as a whole. I know personally the struggles a TO can go through and the determination you need to keep PM alive at just the local level. I love this game and this community and as long as I can keep hosting tournaments Project M will never die in NC!

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
I am really happy to see how things went, and I think M2K's comments about the game in his interview (lol) were also a good sign for the game.

I love Project M, as it is the game that really got me into the community, and I was starting to lose hope (and transition more towards Melee) because of its absence at high level tournaments, but this was a huge boost I think, and I definitely hope it is a sign that PM won't die because it'd be a shame if it did.

Top Bottom